• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

Spinky

residentevil7biohazaryjuui.png

This fucking segment was the most intense thing I've witnessed in a game in years. Probably since PT. I'll never forget it.

And of course, I hate myself, so this is actually my desktop wallpaper right now.

Astral

Yeah I knew Umbrella didn't create that virus. I just thought it was a weird thing to say. I just assumed he said that because he knew something however small about it maybe. But yeah that line is probably nothing.

For the record, Jack and Zoe were not dead. Both of them turn into statues but don't crumble away is notable, unlike Marguerite (and Mia on the bad ending path) who crumble into a hundred pieces when they die, so I think the implication is they're still conscious, just stuck in their mental space unable to move in the physical world any longer.

As they didn't crumble and they both appear in that scene in the mold, and it implies that the people concious have a much closer connection in the mold even if they can't control themselves fully under her influence in the real world. I think the implication is that them turning into a statue and not crumbling means they didn't die, just a fate maybe worse than death depending how you look at it as they can't die and they can't do anything except retreat to their mental scape where they can only communicate with each other in their own limbo.

I think they're fates after that are left a bit open once Eveline dies as she was their connection as the central host, but the phone ring after the epilogue I think implies Zoe (and Jack possibly) may have turned out fine after Eveline died.

Very interesting. Them not crumbling is a very cool little touch and it makes the 'normal' Jack scene a lot better!

Kalentan

H.C.F., Wesker's task force, was responsible for the development of the D-series and E-series BOWs, not Umbrella. Ethan wasn't involved in that project; you're reading a lot into bad voice acting.

People here are forgetting Umbrella folded in 2003, 14 years ago in-story. Ethan could've worked at Umbrella, but he didn't work on Eveline. Otherwise he'd have recognized the patterns and known the cause immediately.

Eh. I didn't find his voice acting bad but regardless of the acting, his lines of dialogue as they were written can come across as odd for someone who is supposed to be an average joe.

dlauv

I just realized that the westerner they brought in for the writing was also involved with F.E.A.R. That just cracks me up a lot, given Eveline.

He's the game's story consultant and allegedly polished up the script. Considering the story was written in Japan, they probably sought him specifically because he worked on the F.E.A.R. expansions.

I don't know why they even bothered with the moral choice. Why Ethan would save Zoe makes no sense and Mia just wakes up in front of the wrecked ship despite saying she will stay at the Baker's place. The only thing of significance that changes is another fight with Mia that is basically just the same as the one in the beginning. Zoe dying for no reason immediately after choosing her is just the shit cherry on top. The people who chose this ending at first are straight up getting a worse experience...

...but that's probably the only thing I don't like about the game.

JayEH

I just remembered that when Ethan is telling Zoe that they need to make a serum he says "a D series head and arm. Wait that can't be right." I always thought that was an odd thing to say, as if he knew what those even were.

oh good catch. the stars are lining up.

For the record, Jack and Zoe were not dead. Both of them turn into statues but don't crumble away is notable, unlike Marguerite (and Mia on the bad ending path) who crumble into a hundred pieces when they die, so I think the implication is they're still conscious, just stuck in their mental space unable to move in the physical world any longer.

As they didn't crumble and they both appear in that scene in the mold, and it implies that the people concious have a much closer connection in the mold even if they can't control themselves fully under her influence in the real world. I think the implication is that them turning into a statue and not crumbling means they didn't die, just a fate maybe worse than death depending how you look at it as they can't die and they can't do anything except retreat to their mental scape where they can only communicate with each other in their own limbo.

I think they're fates after that are left a bit open once Eveline dies as she was their connection as the central host, but the phone ring after the epilogue I think implies Zoe (and Jack possibly) may have turned out fine after Eveline died.

giphy.gif

Just noticed something. Should've made this connection earlier, honestly:

What kind of gun does Redfield throw down to Ethan? The Albert-01.

Look familiar? It should. The insignia on the grip is a dead giveaway.

latest

It's a Samurai Edge. Only used by S.T.A.R.S. members. Wesker lost his in RE5, and Chris could've picked it up. Besides that, the only people who could have one are Chris, Jill, Barry, and Rebecca. We know Barry still has his as of Revelations 2.

Wesker's has the distinct laser underbarrel laser sight, just like the Albert-01.

latest

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just noticed something. Should've made this connection earlier, honestly:

What kind of gun does Redfield throw down to Ethan? The Albert-01.

Look familiar? It should. The insignia on the grip is a dead giveaway.

latest

It's a Samurai Edge. Only used by S.T.A.R.S. members. Wesker lost his. Only Chris, Jill, Barry, and Rebecca would have one.
It's a replica. The gun description states it.

It's a replica. The gun description states it.

The one you get in NG+ is. But the one you get as a part of the story? Doubtful. This one is based directly on Wesker's modifications, too. The ones he made for when he killed Chris; he kept his Samurai Edge up to 5 with the explicit intention of killing Chris with it.

DVCY201

Wesker would've lost it during the Stealth Bomber Section. Makes more sense for the Corps to recover it, because they're in that area. Unless Chris returned to Kijuju sometime later, but it certainly hasn't been documented. Or it also got volcanoed lol, hence the 'replica' description

Aikidoka

Just finished the game, and overall I really loved it. Very intense for me. I think, the Bakers really exemplify the great blend of horror and over-the-top cheese you get from RE (especially Jack's smack talk and the chainsaw duel - like wtf was that!!?) Also, really like the notes about the puzzles - namely, the one where Jack( irrc) orders the cerberus emblem broken up cuz he's tired of chasing down people and the "shadow activated door" construction request. Also the tapes and the demo were incorporated really well.

The game does stumble a bit with the narrative. I kind of suspected granny could be Eveline around the time I got to the master bedroom, and so I thought it was unnecessary for Lucas's email to spell everything out super clearly. I'll also echo some of the comments about the talk with Jack being heavy-handed. Seeing things like his marine picture alongside books for returning veterans trying to cope was enough to humanize him.

As far as my playthrough, I chose to cure Zoe (another complaint would be that Zoe is pretty underdeveloped and nearly pointless to the story - I just chose her 'cause Mia sawed off my fucking hand!). Is that the only choice you get? I haven't read the whole thread, but I imagine people have talked about Ethan being infected. Would he be able to see the Eevee's hallucinations (along with all the other crazy stuff he does) otherwise? Is that perhaps what he meant when he said "the only door I see is closed" (could also be just that he knows umbrella sucks ass)? Also, I'm curious about Ethan's background. I don't recall really learning anything about it at all. I suppose he could be a nobody, but him marrying an Umbrella secret agent is interesting.

It may be my favorite Resident Evil that I've played (which is just REmake, Re4 and RE5 and 5 is crap, along with Veronica and one where you're on a ship.).

Ending shit the bed. It actually kinda made me mad. No not story wise, that was fine. Cinematic final boss in a game that's supposed to be about resource management. It's honestly a slap in the face. "Oh you just spent the last quarter of the game preping, hoarding, and managing for a final boss? Nah, just use this tie in gun. Gg here are some trophies."

They seem to have made different 'aged' models for Eve. She looks older in the ship. Or maybe it's just the way the scene is set.

residentevil7biohazarmqs0x.png

I mean she can project herself as any age I'm guessing right? So this scene in particular would confirm 100 percent Ethan is infected right?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
They seem to have made different 'aged' models for Eve. She looks older in the ship. Or maybe it's just the way the scene is set.

Now I'm wondering if the demo "ghost girl" is 20-something looking Eveline. But that couldn't make sense since it was on film.

Wesker would've lost it during the Stealth Bomber Section. Makes more sense for the Corps to recover it, because they're in that area. Unless Chris returned to Kijuju sometime later, but it certainly hasn't been documented. Or it also got volcanoed lol, hence the 'replica' description

Chris could've very easily just picked it up offscreen; it's a regular 9mm pistol that holds sentimental value exclusively to Chris and Wesker. It's hardly a dramatic leap in logic that he'd just pick it up.

Either way, replica or not, the gun is one that only two people would truly know the value of: Chris and Wesker. Wesker died almost a decade ago in the story, but Chris is still around. As a weapon built to kill BOWs, it seems poetic that Chris would name it after his nemesis, the bioterrorist who wanted to infect the entire world with biological weapons.

HiiiLife

This fucking segment was the most intense thing I've witnessed in a game in years. Probably since PT. I'll never forget it.

And of course, I hate myself, so this is actually my desktop wallpaper right now.

That's how I felt. The only moment where I was genuinely unnerved by my surroundings. Just can't deal with kids.

Brhoom

Banned

This is the part where the game just decides it wants to be Silent Hill for a moment.

They really got the feel of the first and third Silent Hill games.

How can I describe it? The feeling that something really, really bad is about to happen, it's getting really close! You just want it to stop. You keep running and getting more and more panicked, knowing that whatever is causing this, will appear to you soon and you hope nothing will happen.

Suddenly, nothing.

This is what Silent Hill really aced at doing, building up suspence, fear and panic, but never getting you over the edge. Teasing you ever so slightly, but never pushing you with a jumpscare. It will make you reach a point of hoping for a jumpscare, to cause all of this stop. But it never does.

I hope the next series entry does more of this. Silent Hill is dead as far as I know. So I wouldn't mind more of this.

I don't know why they even bothered with the moral choice. Why Ethan would save Zoe makes no sense and Mia just wakes up in front of the wrecked ship despite saying she will stay at the Baker's place. The only thing of significance that changes is another fight with Mia that is basically just the same as the one in the beginning. Zoe dying for no reason immediately after choosing her is just the shit cherry on top. The people who chose this ending at first are straight up getting a worse experience...

...but that's probably the only thing I don't like about the game.

Fuck Mia. This shit is all her fault. I saved Zoe and I'd do it again! Fuckin workin with umbrella/whoever and dragging me into this shit? Nah homie. Zoe actually tried to save my ass, she's my new queen bee.

I kinda wish this tied in a little more, or just had more at the ending. Like as a whole brilliant game, but it would have been nice to have more then "here's Redfield and umbrella! You recognize these things!!!"

Is that confirmed to be Chris Redfield? He only gives his last name and he looks way to different.

Done. Pretty mixed on it. Really liked some of it, and really didn't like other parts. The atmosphere was top fucking notch. It felt like classic Resident Evil in that regard. The look and sound of the game was perfect.

What I didn't like was the combat and monsters. Aiming felt slow as fuck, even with the look speed at max. The monsters were just boring (outside of the bosses). The first time I saw mold-men I thought they were lame. To reach the end and see that the only monsters in the game were different shaped mold-men just sucks. They let the games greatly spooky atmosphere down by being boring fucking nothings. Hunters, Lickers, Zombie dogs and birds, are all wayyyyy cooler than fighting fungus.

I'd certainly play more, and am pretty interested to see where the series goes from here. But, I hope they improve the combat and monster designs considerably.

EDIT: I also ended the game having never used my magnum, and barely used my grenade launcher or shotgun. Kept waiting to really need them and never did. Pretty weak ass ending with no final boss fight.

What I didn't like was the combat and monsters. Aiming felt slow as fuck, even with the look speed at max. The monsters were just boring (outside of the bosses). The first time I saw mold-men I thought they were lame. To reach the end and see that the only monsters in the game were different shaped mold-men just sucks. They let the games greatly spooky atmosphere down by being boring fucking nothings. Hunters, Lickers, Zombie dogs and birds, are all wayyyyy cooler than fighting fungus.

This is my biggest disappointment too.

Did they not learn anything from Revelations? Fighting the same thing over and over again just in different shapes and sizes doesn't cut it.

Fury451

Banned
This is my biggest disappointment too.

Did they not learn anything from Revelations? Fighting the same thing over and over again just in different shapes and sizes doesn't cut it.

It was pretty uninspired in that regard. Don't really get the heaps of praise for the game honestly, the encounters were fairly same-y. Don't want to be a downer because parts were executed very well, but it felt like a rail shooter in a lot of parts.

Jawmuncher

The monster designs by far were the weakest aspect. The molded by itself is fine. But every other creature being a variation of it was weak. Especially since it doesn't change anything much besides "crawlers aim low, fat molded take more ammo" they have the mecanhics down. But they definitely need to work on enemies.

That and please no more mold/ooze or whatever. Not a fan of all the stuff taking over sections of the environment. Didn't like it in 6 with Adas campaign, and don't like it in 7.

It was pretty uninspired in that regard. Don't really get the heaps of praise for the game honestly, the encounters were fairly same-y. Don't want to be a downer because parts were executed very well, but it felt like a rail shooter in a lot of parts.

Going back at the reviews, ign honestly has the most fair review of the game. Content and score wise. The game definitely has problems. Doesn't mean it's not good in s general sense though.

Big Chungus

So was Mia working for Umbrella?

Chris contacted Ethan using the same type of watch that Mia was using in the flashback, or maybe it's just the cool watch that everyones using...

Fury451

Banned
The monster designs by far were the weakest aspect. The molded by itself is fine. But every other creature being a variation of it was weak. Especially since it doesn't change anything much besides "crawlers aim low, fat molded take more ammo" they have the mecanhics down. But they definitely need to work on enemies.

That and please no more mold/ooze or whatever. Not a fan of all the stuff taking over sections of the environment. Didn't like it in 6 with Adas campaign, and don't like it in 7.

I didn't get the inconsistencies with the molded. Some I can down in 3 headshots with the standard pistol, other times they take 5-10. Sometimes it's one shotgun blast to the face, other times it's 2 or 3.

And no, I'm not talking about special molded there, I'm talking about the standard issue molded. It was bothering the hell out of me because I know it wasn't my aim and I know they weren't molded variants.

Going back at the reviews, ign honestly has the most fair review of the game. Content and score wise. The game definitely has problems. Doesn't mean it's not good in s general sense though.

Agreed. It's not a bad game or anything, some things are super good, but it really feels like a spinoff and not a mainline title. It's Gun Survivor 3 as far as I'm concerned, but that's because I just finished it recently and am sour about it. I'll probably lighten up a bit in a month or so.

It also feels very limited in terms of replayability. No Mercenaries, no arcade style because the design doesn't allow for that; really no room for expansion- I guess we'll see what the DLC brings, but the tapes are their only avenue to expand as far as I'm concerned, and even then they may be more fun snippets than anything substantial.

I imagine the game is quite the treat in VR though, so I'm happy for those that are enjoying it that way.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Cross posting my OT post:

I find the first section with Jack to be the best part of the game by a longshot. I really like the design of the first house and it is the best mixture of all the elements to harken back to older RE.

It loses me a bit with Marguerite. Her bugs everywhere are honestly just annoying and seemed really glitchy. This makes traversing the area not very tense, just annoying, and even when she shows up I found her to not really be a threat. That said, I actually liked her more traditional boss fight and the final moment that lead into showing Eveline a bit are really great. I'm also very surprised they didn't do more with the bug theme. Like, seriously shocked there were no giant spiders or something like that.

This all leads up to the Lucas stuff which is...alright. I liked going back into the main house, and the happy birthday tape/ethan section is pretty well done. But the leadup to him started to fatigue me which is one of my main issues with the game, and really kick in during the ship. There simply is not enough enemy varity for how much you actually engage in combat. There's nothing but 3 fucking variants of the same molded enemy...like, what. This introduces a 4th with the Fat Molded but I think you see these total like...4 times so it barely makes an impact to me. The final fight here with mutated Jack is the most traditional RE-ass segment in the game and I'm surprised how well it ended up playing. Though holy shit the design of him is lame.

But yeah. The ship...first off, before this, this might have one of the most ridiculously forced "choices" I've seen in a game just for the sake of having a split ending. There is no fucking reason to ever actually want to give the serum to Zoe over your WIFE. This is the first time you ever even see her in person, compared to the driving force of why Ethan is even here in the first place. But into the ship proper, I like the idea of what they did but the fatigue of the enemies kick in to the max here. For me, when a game's atmosphere is done well, a horror game works best when you have fear of the unknown. This is why the earlier game works well for me--it's kinda terrifying going into the basement. Once a game settles in and you know what to expect, it loses that edge. They try to throw a cog in the wheel by stripping your weapons and putting you in as Mia, but you have this song and dance down by now. Hey, 4 legged molded. Hey, molded with a bladed arm. Repeat for awhile. The design of the ship itself is actually quite nice, the ultimate goal of getting the power cord and fuse, using the broken elevator as a central hub to get around and get the SMG, stuff like that.

But swapping roles again and we get to the really disappointing area for me, the Mines. I can't believe they didn't do more with this. You're now Ethan again, armed for war and instead of getting sequences where Eveline is messing with you constantly, you get a super blase walk down incredibly narrow hallway gunning down more of the same 3 fucking molded we've always cut down. No more exploration, just a straight shot winding through. Then you get near her and...it does that some more, only now you're going up. And still killing the same 3 enemies.

The ending sequence itself was fine to me. I liked seeing how this wrapped back into the house, now Evie starts to mess with you with the Mia hallucinations and it wraps up in the attic. The final fight...doesn't have much to it but whatever.

Ultimately I feel like each portion should have had its own theme even if Molded stay as the backbone of it all, the enemy type could be, well, molded into whatever. Molded dogs in the outside spot, that kind of thing. I feel like it set this up with the Old House being full of insects but this is dropped, Louis' area is just molded, ship is just molded, cave is just molded. They could have done so much more.

___

Seems to echo some other stuff I've read, I wish I wasn't to hung up on the Molded thing but it really rubs me the wrong way. It's one thing if combat itself is barely present, but for the amount of combat you end up actually engaging in the actual diversity is pathetic. Straight up traditional RE1 style enemies in first person would have been more engaging than these ended up being. What we got is not strong enough to support that section of the game on its own, and for as much as the stalker-esque moments are mentioned they end up barely being present or a real mechaic which also surprised me.

Chumley

Banned
Just beat it. Took such a fucking dive in the last third. Scary little girl is the most played out horror trope ever and has never actually been scary or interesting aside from maybe the first Ring movie. They just drop everything with the Bakers for "the little girl did it" and as far as I remember leave Lucas as a loose end. Like, what the fuck? What happened? The first half was so god damn good, but they couldn't deliver. If they wanted to go the bioweapon route, just go all out with crazy Wesker bullshit instead of what we got.

Whatever. Still the best RE ever and I want future installments to be first person, just tighten up the shooting and work harder on the story. Also, I understand them wanting to branch out from the reliable stable of monsters, but the molded were completely boring and they should just bring back the classics for RE8. Hell, bring Nemesis back too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think the "bad" ending is better than the true ending

Actually I think I agree. The small section where you regain control of Ethan and kill Mia is actually pretty interesting too.

But the choice itself that causes this is so dumb. They were better off not having that at all and just having a concrete ending, the differences aren't really big enough to warrant going through the last chunk again either.

Sacul64GC

Banned
There are a few things to consider:

1. We have no idea of the timetable of her escape on the ship, could've taken days for Alan to show symptoms from the moment he was unknowingly infected. There could be a clue in the timestamps of the two videos Mia sends Ethan. Need to check for that.

2. There are two implied types of E-Series infection. You can be infected to turn into "Mold", which seems to be quicker and can be sped up if Eveline so desires. But there's also the style of infection that turns you into a high-functioning puppet, like the Bakers and Mia. After all, they were infected for years without losing their human form. This seems to be the case with Ethan due to his connection to Mia. He was given the alternative infection because Eveline saw that as an opportunity to appease Mia and prevent her mood swings from becoming too dangerous - remember that, in the prologue, Mia talks about burning down the farm to prevent the infection from spreading.

3. We don't know how injured Mia was when she was taken in by the Bakers. She could have been bedridden for weeks, all the while the infection would've spread to her. And, as mentioned, it's clear that even though she is infected, she wants to destroy Eveline. Her dialogue in the prologue indicates as much.

3. Mia would have required a means to produce E-Necrotoxin, the case we used was in the Lab, which Mia didn't seem to be aware of based on the diary kept there. The E-Necrotoxin case from the boat was completely thrashed. This seems to imply there was no way to kill Eveline until either Lucas or Zoe began working for the corporation in secret.

So I'm left with no reason to think Ethan is special, except he was given the alternate infection route. Mia was kept in check all those years by sheer force. I don't imagine Jack was any nicer to her than he was with Lucas, so leg cutting was definitely on the table and we did find her locked in a cage. To me, he was just in the early stages of the high-functioning puppet route.

The Lucas file had made note that he had caged Mia for a while and Eveline was not around her that much IIRC. Could be why the infection was weaker in her.

Top Bottom