• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 VS. Resident Evil 2 Remake

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Resident Evil 7

Votes: 105 38.2%
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake

Votes: 170 61.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

NyVZxl3.jpg

Last edited:
3rd person Resi > 1st person Resi.

If it weren't for the fact you can play 7 in VR, which kind of transforms the entire experience simply due to how well implemented and immersive it is, 7 would easily be my least favourite game in the series.

It had the same fundamental flaw all first person horror games had, where half the time it was only scary because of the unrealistically blinkered nature of first person removes any form of peripheral vision, rather than because it was genuinely being creepy.

Meanwhile REmake 2 is the perfect synthesis of modern sensibilities with classic survival horror.

If they'd done a bit more to ensure the games two scenarios were a little more different and had some genuine decision cross over, it would be the best game in the series, instead of just top 5.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Both are good but fall short in the end. I give it to 7 though. That game made me reappreciate RE again after 5 and 6. RE2Make just didnt do it for me like the original did.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Resident Evil 7.

It was a new and exciting take on the franchise, which was a breath of fresh air coming from the disaster that was RE 6. The change of perspective was controversial at first, but after a couple of hours it felt totally at home.

The story was very good, with fun and memorable characters, and the design of the gameplay harkened back to the original with many nods to it.

RE 7 is an excellent horror game and an even more excellent RE, the best since 4 and a natural evolution of the series going forward.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I like RE7 a lot, especially the first hour. I think RE2 is the more consistent game throughout so it would get my vote.

skneogaf

Resident evil 2 remake is in my opinion the one of the best games ever made nevermind the best resident evil game.

I like first person games but I can't play 7 without getting bored and I've tried it on pc and ps4 in vr.

Reactions: Isa

Resenge

If it weren't for the fact you can play 7 in VR, which kind of transforms the entire experience simply due to how well implemented and immersive it is, 7 would easily be my least favourite game in the series.
I agree. I feel Resident Evil 7 is a VR game first and flat screen second even if the devs didn't design it that way. It is just so avg without VR but in VR it becomes whole and is a much better game for it.

If you took away VR and add it to the list of best Resident Evil games it would be way down the list imo.

Arachnid

I loved both a ton, but RE2 wins out for me. I prefer third person, and Leon is one of my favorite characters in gaming. RE7 gets a ton of points for bringing the series back to horror though, and the Bakers were some of the best villains in the series. The setting was top notch too.

BTW, RE7 passed up RE5 to become to best selling game in the series not too long ago:

The tanker part in RE7 was just to bland compared to the rest of the game areas. Its one big flaw in a otherwise 9/10 game imho.
RE2 was not only the best remake ever, but also lifted the bar so high for any other developer on how to modernise gameplay and pacing, but still capturing the atmosphere of the original.

RE7 is "just"a must play RE Game.
RE2 is a must play Game!

dan76

How the hell does RE7 have 42% of the vote, didn't you play the second half? It was garbage. 3 enemy types in the whole game, poor map design from the house onwards, it does that cheap annoying thing of taking all your weapons and supplies from you at the boat.... the boat.... its rubbish apart from the Baker house and out house. Also, first person in an RE game doesn't seem RE to me.

I honestly thought once RE2make came out that Capcom had at last cracked the formula and all RE's would be like this. I was wrong!

Kokoloko85

Both great games.
Re7 brought back the Resident Evil formula even if it was 1st person. RE4 changed the series and to me for the worse. RE7 brought it back.

RE2 REmake awesome game. What ruined it for me was Mr X and not the same amount of remake detail in the later part of the game as the start. And certain things missing. Otherwise it would of been the perfect remake

Nankatsu

Gold Member
This is a tough one.

If I hadn't played RE7 in VR I would definitely go with RE2 Remake, but I played RE7 VR, and nothing beats that horror sensation of being actually there.

So yeah, RE7 takes my pick.

Re2make is one of my favorite games of all time. RE7 is an awesome experience and a game I thoroughly enjoyed however it just didn’t feel like a RE game. I do have to replay RE7 on my PSVR though and see how much that changes the experience.

SkylineRKR

RE2R. It has the RE characters, enemies and setting perfected. Some questionable changes aside this is an ultimate RE experience. 4th Survivor is fucking awesome as well and it wasn't paid DLC.

RE7 is very good also, in fact its probably top 3 with RE2R and 4. But I never felt the desire to replay it. Contrary to RE2R, this game has some decidedly weak sections especially in the final quarter of the game. And the enemies, yeah, they're not really good. I liked the sewer of RE2 better. But I must admit I kinda prefer FP for this franchise since RE7 came out. Can't wait for 8.

Last edited:

Neff

I'd probably give the nod to 7.

7 felt daring and fresh, while 2 is merely an accomplished but ultimately inferior remake of a 20 year-old classic. 2 also has annoying controls which I don't feel is quite right for RE.

Vawn

Banned
Resident Evil 7 isn't a Resident Evil game. It's a serious horror game.

It's not Resident Evil without Cheesy Dialogue and characters.

So 2 remake wins that.

RE7 is more Resident Evil than 4, 5 or 6. And there is plenty of cheesyness - especially in the second half.

I really enjoyed both but RE7 was just on another level and wins this pretty easily for me.

First because of the whole announcement and demo. It was awesome. Second because it's an original game and not a remake. And also because it was just creepier and I love that. VR doesn't hurt either though I never played it that way.

Last edited:

zettacroix

Neo Member
I enjoyed 2 remake a lot more, but that's probably because I can't handle too much horror and 2 remake was just enough to let me play through it. The puzzles of 7 are a bit tedious at times aswell.

Camreezie

My vote goes to 7 , for mixing it up a lot more and some really memorable sections that stuck with me longer than RE2's and for getting me reinvested after how shit RE6 was that was no simple task

Jaxcellent

Please enlighten me, how do I vote, I don't see a button anywhere, my vote goes to RE7: best horror game I ever played, the VR experience was really amazing and terrifying.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
REmake 2 is what Resident Evil is and the perfect evolution of the series

RE7 has it's vibe, but also looks a spinoff game. I guess the main problem is the lack of enemy diversity, so this is a big miss

diffusionx

Gold Member
I didn't play RE2make, so maybe that makes me an asshole for posting in this, but I think RE7 is an incredible game.

Astral Dog

Both games are awesome overall and high quality

But for me, Resident Evil 7 wins easily, not because it doesn't have flaws(obvious ones like lack of enemies, proper last boss later fixed with dlc, weak final parts) but because it does its thing so well, and thats delivering a fresh, scary Resident Evil experience on first person.

When i play RE2 i can't help but think its not as scary as 7 or as action packed as 4, were RE2 wins is on the RPD puzzle oriented level design and translating that game to modern engine however even its soundtrack is a little weak

RE7 instead does some things i wanted to see since RE5/6/Rev1 released, but thought Capcom wouldn't do any more, one is a grounded setting, the Baker state is a full classic Resident Evil setting! No super agents fighting monsters just a dude isolated in a house slowly fighting his way off these crazy farmers, my only dissapointment is we didn't see more outside areas like the ones on the intro :^(

Other is giving the typical characters and lore a rest, yeah yeah Ethan is a little bland but the thing is, jill Chris, leon and co are no longer scared, they no longer have an enemy to fight like Wesker, no much point in bringing them to a 'small' BOW incident when they can kung fu Zombies and monsters to death, the lore stuff just became more and more stupid after RE5 so scaling things back after that event is good to me (with the exception of Rev2 wich was awesome). You don't fucking know who is Ethan or Zoe or Mia and thats fine, you only see Mia transforming and cutting Ethan's arm on the intro maybe you didn't care at the end of the game either i did Ethan is cool wich brings me to the next point.

images

These are freaking amazing antagonists! Jack Baker eats Nemesis for breakfast, what is this TCM family doing in my Resident Evil game? omg can't really say anymore its worth experiencing for anyone that hasn't played this game, they make up for the main characters and more, there is also a very cool dlc guy i wanted to see even more of the Bakers and their home when RE7 ended, not Chris or Leon

Finally, some gamers like to shit on the first person perspective but it works so well on the atmosphere and adds to the scariness/isolation, it also gives the game a unique cinematic feeling Capcom crafted something very special with RE7 and im glad they decided to continue with one more adventure in this style 👍

squarealex

Both, Why choose ?
RE2 is an okay remake, not perfect, but a good update of the story 1998 even if I prefer the original experience (more gore, more emotional, more 90's, can't explain)

RE7 is a good return to the franchise, the design / art (on the baker home) is great and the VR experience... well, no word to describe.

Just hope RE8 is another GOTY with VR Support

Last edited:
I loved both but I'm more of a fan of the classic RE games.

I really wished I played RE7 with VR though. That would have been a very interesting experience.

MiguelItUp

I personally loved RE2 Remake more than RE7, but I respect Capcom for doing what they did with 7. A shit ton. It's an excellent horror game, it's an excellent Resident Evil game, it's a phenomenal game. It's also incredibly different, so I love that they took a risk to create something new and breath new life into the series.

RE2 is phenomenal, but it's hard for me to think of a remake before I think of a brand new sequel. Especially one that brings so many new things to the series, while doing a lot very, very well.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I couldn’t get in to RE7. I don’t like first person games much. Plus in the two hours or so I played all I did was mostly just walk around a house.

mekes

I like both games. I slightly prefer the remake but I prefer 3rd person games in general. That being said, I do prefer 7 to 5 and 6. Either way, my vote has gone to 2 remake but I am very happy with Capcom for the 2nd half of this gen.

Astral Dog

This RE2 vs RE7 casual debate thing in the 'fandom' means to me there isn't just ONE correct way of making a Resident Evil game :^) and thats awesome for such a beloved and long standing series, regardless of my or anyone preferences

There is RE7 style, REmake2 style, Classic style,RE4 action style along with a few pretty good rail shooters all of those have produced fantastic games

What's annoying about this imo: constant overuse of one style and cutting horror for the sake of action, after RE4 Capcom made four more games in that style and they were actually afraid of putting any horror elements, puzzles or exploration in freaking Resident Evil instead focusing on co op,like DAMN that changed after the reception of revelations and REmake HD.

Other are the fans constantly shitting on first person horror, like third person was the only correct,real way of making RE, that leads to overuse of one style wich is boring.

Top Bottom