• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8 Announced for PS5, Xbox Series X, and Steam in 2021

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder if Ethan is being Umbrella’s experimental toy. He obviously knows something and that moment at the end makes me think that whoever got shot (we all know who) was already wounded. I honestly think whatever exists could be why Chris is there. ITs probably been said before, but my guess is Chris is the new Wesker

I hope Evaline is dead dead and that whoever made her is maybe still around

I bet Umbrella is still trying to keep whatever is at bay, at bay. I’m ready to dive into this game the moment it releases.

Last edited:

dcx4610

This should have simply been Village and a new franchise. Slapping the Resident Evil name on it was pointless and gives it baggage. You could even set it in the same universe.

Fushitsusha

Banned
This should have simply been Village and a new franchise. Slapping the Resident Evil name on it was pointless and gives it baggage. You could even set it in the same universe.
It's continuing from 7, which was well received and is further establishing itself along with 8 in the RE universe. Resident Evil does not have to be a certain way.

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
They’re neat, but these aren’t Resident Evil games.
How so? Just because of the perspective? You know the first game was supposed to be first person? The themes are still there. Not only is this very much resident evil, it's very capcom in general.

If they actually were like people like to say... "Amnesia walking-sim clones" I might have agreed more.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
How so? Just because of the perspective? You know the first game was supposed to be first person? Not only is this very much resident evil, it's very capcom in general.

It’s fundamentally barely like Resident Evil, and I’m not sure that needs to be explained. The DNA has more in common with a thousand PC indie horror games, than RE.

urmie

So at the end of the special developer's video, they said that logo with the feathers has alot of information. Has anyone been able to decipher anything from it?

BTW, Chris is wearing the same clothes like at the end of RE6 it seems.

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
It’s fundamentally barely like Resident Evil, and I’m not sure that needs to be explained. The DNA has more in common with a thousand PC indie horror games, than RE.
Not really. To say that they're fundamentally not RE is ridiculous while the survival gameplay and themes of bioterrorism, viral infections etc are still there.

7 and 8 is Resident Evil as much as 4-6. The biggest departure is first person view, but does that automatically make them walking-simulators, Amnesia clone, or generic PC indie horror game? Most of the time those comparisons are made by those who disregarded 7 because of such notions and still believe them after all.
So at the end of the special developer's video, they said that logo with the feathers has alot of information. Has anyone been able to decipher anything from it?
The Connections?

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Im very excited about this one, just a little sad it won't come to PS4, not because it won't be even better next gen but because i didn't want to buy a next gen console so soon lol 💸

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I see a lot of complaints about it still being first person. It does say at the very beginning of the trailer that it concludes the story. I was pondering this for a moment. What if RE9 is third person? I don’t mind it.

Capcom hard boiled 1-6 in us with Remakes and digital releases. I don’t actually think that’s bad, but a part of me uses it to defend RE7. I didn’t get into SOMA, Amnesia, or the many other different first person horror games. What I did like was the way Capcom uses it to explore this dark, sadistic world where you feel some sorta calming peace with a nightmare that’s about to take place. You don’t see that type of horror. What I typically get from the first person perspective are a lot of build ups with jump moments. You almost have to tell yourself it’s going to get better later on. With RE7, I was hooked from exploring the house in the demo and even more hooked when you see the car drive up to the house.
Blair Witch has a car scene, but that moment when you’re just walking with your dog lasts for what feels like forever. There’s no mystery behind the door or a woman coming from up the stairs. There’s no rich family who is are on the brink of destruction. There’s no man waiting in the room, firing off his gun the moment the door opens. Which is why I trust Capcom (most of the time) with this current direction of the franchise.

Last edited:

Mato

+Daytime
+Spooky/Picturesque over RE7-gore/gross
+Silent Hill perpetual fog
+Back to Europe
+No vocal song in the trailer(fuck aunt Rhody)

-Human characters, esp female, look like Silent Hill 1 prerendered cutscenes.
-Variable quality of assets. Some things look worse than others.
-Doesn't look next-gen
-Occultism
-Vengeful feminists

I feel more excited about it today. I like the general direction and appreciate that there's a romantic spookiness about the environments. RE7's world, while technically superb, was just straight up ugly and depressing.

Griffon

Werewolf and vampires in resident evil.

giphy.gif

SuperGooey

I wonder if Alex is the mastermind behind this game. I mean, it was originally meant to be REV3, right?
According to Dusk Golem, this started as RE8, but was too weird so Capcom tried to cancel it. Since the team behind it were so passionate to work on it, Capcom allowed it to continue development, but only as a Revelation spinoff. After it tested so positively, it was upgraded to a main entry in the series.

Reactions: RSB

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Tsuyoshi Kanda and Peter Fabiano, Producers on Resident Evil Village, provide a first look into the game's development. Resident Evil Village comes to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and Steam in 2021.

Thanks mods for the title change🙏

Last edited:
I used to be the biggest Resident Evil fan ever, I still own all the classic games on the Gamecube and as a teenager I used to have them lined up and displayed.

That being said, I just cannot get excited by a Resident Evil in first person. RE7 was the first RE game I completely skipped and I'll probably skip this one as well. Shame since I absolutely love RE2 & RE3 Remake. Resident Evil in 3rd person is the way to go in my opinion but it appears I'm in the minority.

Ferdimage

It looked sharp but it just looked like RE7 and considerably downgraded from RE2/3 Remake
Watching the 4K trailer shows its even more with poor texture work compared to every other game shown
Kinda flat looking

DvF9Erh.jpg

Not the best quality, but you get the idea

As for the direction
🙄

Just watched the 4k trailer and its very detailed there

-Arcadia-

Banned
Not really. To say that they're fundamentally not RE is ridiculous while the survival gameplay and themes of bioterrorism, viral infections etc are still there.

7 and 8 is Resident Evil as much as 4-6. The biggest departure is first person view, but does that automatically make them walking-simulators, Amnesia clone, or generic PC indie horror game? Most of the time those comparisons are made by those who disregarded 7 because of such notions and still believe them after all.

The Connections?

A few puzzle and navigation holdovers, as nice as they are, do not a Resident Evil game make. 7 spent most of its running time in completely, abberantly different gameplay scenarios, more reminiscent of yes, the PC Indie horror scene.

Which is to say nothing of the tone, which fundamentally has nothing to do with Resident Evil. It's the same for Village, and literally having a werewolf. When you don't even realize it's RE until the logo rolls...

It's lovely that Capcom took this genre, and applied the polish that it's never had before, but don't delude yourself into thinking it's RE.

When you could pull the RE branding and nobody would bat an eye if it was a new IP, that's a pretty good sign. Again. Not sure why this needs to be explained. I guess the game is quite likable, and we're seeing the counter-narrative to all the launch negativity perhaps swinging the pendulum too far.

Reactions: RSB

Stuart360

I think it looks interesting, and i'm sure it will end up a good game by release. I still cant shake the heavy Van Helsing movie vibes it has, quite weird lol.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Based on the leaks/rumors I was kinda expecting to hate this and I gotta say it looked pretty fucking cool. I am glad that we are getting new RE games that are doing something a little different, and also remakes of classics so everyone can be happy.

Airbus Jr

Banned
What Capcom did to Chris Redfield is pure travesty

Some people preffered Leon S Kennedy but for me Chris Redfield is the man of legend when it comes to resident evil

Wtf with his character design is even worse than RE7 he look like a fat slob here

Other than that the game look great feels like a mix of Resident Evil 4 and 7

Arachnid

I hope there aren't any links with the Revelations games story.
I hope there are. This series can't waste Alex Wesker as a villain on some side games. She needs to be introduced. People had been waiting for her to pop up in the series since forever (she and Albert were the only two surviving children from the project that made them). Especially since this series hasn't had a good main villain since Albert.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

A few puzzle and navigation holdovers, as nice as they are, do not a Resident Evil game make. 7 spent most of its running time in completely, abberantly different gameplay scenarios, more reminiscent of yes, the PC Indie horror scene.

Which is to say nothing of the tone, which fundamentally has nothing to do with Resident Evil. It's the same for Village, and literally having a werewolf. When you don't even realize it's RE until the logo rolls...

It's lovely that Capcom took this genre, and applied the polish that it's never had before, but don't delude yourself into thinking it's RE.

When you could pull the RE branding and nobody would bat an eye if it was a new IP, that's a pretty good sign. Again. Not sure why this needs to be explained. I guess the game is quite likable, and we're seeing the counter-narrative to all the launch negativity perhaps swinging the pendulum too far.
RE7 is different but thats the point, Capcom just didn't wanted RE6. 5 with the same lore and characters messing things up, Wesker and Spencer are dead, what are they even doing now, no loose ends or natural way to continue the storyline for them, they also change their appaerance and voice actors like shoes to a point its not the same anymore but a weird blank state (like jill on revelations 1)

The REmakes are a great way of revisiting those scenarions and characters without convulting things. Keeping their legacy alive.

But i also wanted to be surprised and afraid of Resident Evil once more, and 7 did that, with its amazing atmospheric first person view and likeable antagonists, it was a return to form for the team and critics/fans loved it, ironically its the game less resembling Resident Evil 4 thats the best recieved since it, and not the games that tried to iterate on its formula, it made me passionate about the series again

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Imagine if after shooting Mia, Chris says.

"ETHAN, FUCK MY SISTER, YOU HAVE TO CONTINUE THE REDFIELD BLOODLINE"

Isnt that Claire and Leon is a given ?

Edit totally forgot about Leon and Ada relationship

Seriously Claire and Chris are in their 40 now and still not married yet wow

Last edited:

Dane

Isnt that Claire and Leon is a given ?

Edit totally forgot about Leon and Ada relationship

Seriously Claire and Chris are in their 40 now and still not married yet wow

That's why I laugh and at the same time realize how this meme makes sense, pretty much the main cast in the franchise is +40 year old single and childless, the ones who have kids got it before the first game.

Arachnid

The Connections?
Agreed. RE7 was classic Resident Evil more than 4-6 and the Rev games ever were. At least it could actually still be described as survival horror, unlike them.

Truthfully, I'm not a fan of first person, but 7 was so good that it's still one of my favorite in the series despite the first person. 8 looks even better.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I thought it was a weird trailer in terms of visuals.

First, no 60 fps. Is that not happening now? I think it would be the first RE engine game not to at least target 60 fps.

Second, it was just so uneven. The opening couple of scenes looked current gen. Some of the worst graphics shown at the reveal. Then the scenes towards the end, with the huge hall with the chandelier and the man standing in the doorway, looked as next gen as anything I've seen.

It was weird, especially since it's not that far from release.

Belmonte

I hope there are. This series can't waste Alex Wesker as a villain on some side games. She needs to be introduced. People had been waiting for her to pop up in the series since forever (she and Albert were the only two surviving children from the project that made them). Especially since this series hasn't had a good main villain since Albert.

She was already introduced in Revelations 2. And IMO it wasn't a good villain. Not very interesting and felt fan service to me, like they wish to have another character to call "Wesker".

Top Bottom