• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8 Announced for PS5, Xbox Series X, and Steam in 2021

urmie

So is the antagonist Alex Wesker? She was in Russia in RE Revelations 2. This takes place in a village in Russia apparently.

Update: Location seems to be Romania. (based on currency shown as "Lei")

Last edited:

SuperGooey

So is the protagonist Alex Wesker? She was in Russia in RE Revelations 2. This takes place in a village in Russia apparently.
She is one of them. The count of the castle, named Alan, is the main villain.

This isn't confirmed 100%, but nearly everything else from the leak is confirmed by this trailer.

T_LVPL

Looks like they’re taking the series in a completely different direction. More psychological horror than B movie.

Keihart

The setting looks so code veronica, i'm loving the vibe.

I want to play it yesterday.
There also seems to be a double down on the enemy characters instead of just monsters, which is the correct decision in my book, since that it's what made RE7 so unique.

Last edited:

Aggelos

This is a series that I used to enjoy, but no longer.

"And to think Taxidermy used to be my hobby. But, no longer."- Chief Irons, Resident Evil 2 original.

Amen, same here... That was a great line by chief Irons.

But it was inevitable. It's Capcom's best-selling series of all time, it's their war-horse. Therefore, they're gonna play the series to death. They're gonna squeeze it like an orange til there's no more juice to give.

A great mantra for companies and businesses is -> "Follow the money wherever it takes you..." That's what Capcom has been doing with the RE series.

dan76

Looking at that trailer again it's pretty clear someone saw some screenshots and "leaked" the RE4 remake. Those villagers look so much like 4 it's an easy mistake to make. But no official confirmation of 4 so far probably means that this is it.

Collin

Banned
When I first heard the leaks I was a bit meh, but seeing this trailer in action has me totally hyped. The graphics look great too, genuinely look like a new gen game in my eyes.

I love that starting with 7, Resident Evil has been exploring horror beyond zombies. Witches + werewolves have a lot of potential and not a lotta horror games have gone in that direction.

SuperGooey

I love that starting with 7, Resident Evil has been exploring horror beyond zombies. Witches + werewolves have a lot of potential and not a lotta horror games have gone in that direction.
You mean starting with RE4, the series has moved away from zombies.

Keihart

Amen, same here... That was a great line by chief Irons.

But it was inevitable. It's Capcom's best-selling series of all time, it's their war-horse. Therefore, they're gonna play the series to death. They're gonna squeeze it like an orange til there's no more juice to give.

A great mantra for companies and businesses is -> "Follow the money wherever it takes you..." That's what Capcom has been doing with the RE series.
after RE6 , RE7 was a return to form even if breaking a lot superficial staples, the design was back on point.
RE8 seems to be doubling down on the innovations made on RE7.

I know that there is quite a few fans who weren't happy with the direction after 4 and welcome this as a return to form while also innovating.

Orta

Banned
Gamersyde: https://www.gamersyde.com/news_resident_evil_village_trailer_and_images-21643_en.html

image_resident_evil_village-42162-4517_0008.jpg

Honjo

Banned
I wish it was announced for PS6. Looked like hollywood garbage. I'd take dual wielding matrix Wesker over this.

Bartski

Gold Member
love the fact they're sticking to FPP as it was rumored, dig the style but was hoping for it to look slightly better graphically, this is definitely cross-gen but day one regardless

Aggelos

Special Developer's Message

Last edited:
The leaks and rumors were all true! Definitely liked the aesthetics! As a big fan of Resi 7, I'm really looking forward to this one!

Lux R7

something was wrong with the fps i think, i need to see a pc trailer.
However i'm in, i like the setting

Doom85

Looks like they’re taking the series in a completely different direction. More psychological horror than B movie.

Nah, IIRC VII looked that way at first, but then in the game proper Jack did sick burnouts with his car and Ethan re-enacted his favorite Saw movies.

Which is good, I don't mind a dark story, but you got have a bit of humor and such in it. Otherwise it wouldn't be Resident Evil, because even in its more "serious" installments it never had a stick up its ass when it came having a few humorous moments.

So is the antagonist Alex Wesker? She was in Russia in RE Revelations 2. This takes place in a village in Russia apparently.

That would require QUITE the explanation as to how she could be accomplishing anything on that level right now considering Rev 2 ended with:

her in Natalia's body and being raised by Barry. Even if she ran away from home, she has no money or anything. She's not really in a good position to be already in a whole other country and raising hell. Decades from now, maybe, but not only a few years later.

laynelane

The setting is interesting. I'm not a fan of first person, but can get over it if the game is good. This is a 'wait and see' title for me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It looked sharp but it just looked like RE7 and considerably downgraded from RE2/3 Remake
Watching the 4K trailer shows its even more with poor texture work compared to every other game shown
Kinda flat looking

DvF9Erh.jpg

Not the best quality, but you get the idea

As for the direction
🙄

Last edited:

ZehDon

I'm tempted to wait for the inevitable PSVR2 version, because RE7 in VR is still the best VR experience I've ever had.

Astral Dog

I think this game is directed by Koushi Nakanishi, the guy who directed RE7 and Revelations 1

Yep this is in good hands.

This guy pushed the franchise in a new direction alone with Revelations 1, Capcom noticed its warm reception compared to 6 and put him in charge of 7

Astral Dog

Huge RE fan. Didn't think that was really gonna be an RE game but I was excited and curious about what it was during the trailer.

Anyway, just hope it's good like any other RE fan. I don't hate FPS, just not sure why Capcom stayed with it.
RE7 was amazing on first person and one of the bost horror games ever made, its natural Capcom would make a sequel, 7 was also the best recieved by critics since 4.

First person adds a lot to the atmosphere in an survival horror game im so happy they perfected it <3

Astral Dog

that didn't look at all like a RE game
I think it did, specifically a combination of 7 and 4,

If you were to show RE5 or 6 next to 1 they also don't look like RE. This one is gonna be amazing after the dissapointing 3, first person is back!

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
You can definitely see the same direction of VII, which is cool. But we need better puzzles and less fps stuff.

Also, the lack of a song makes VII a better trailer

SuperGooey

You can definitely see the same direction of VII, which is cool. But we need better puzzles and less fps stuff.

Also, the lack of a song makes VII a better trailer
According to the official Capcom site, RE8 has both more action and exploration. Hopefully, puzzle-solving is a big part of the exploration.

Top Bottom