• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8 Announced for PS5, Xbox Series X, and Steam in 2021

MiguelItUp

I'm so damn hyped about this. I will say the only distracting thing for me was the god awful FPS dips in the trailer. Which I'm sure will be A-OK way later since the RE Engine is always smooth like butter. It's definitely been one of my favorite engines for years now.

As a person that loves FPS titles, I welcome the FPS view. Especially since RE7 was the creepiest RE I've played in what feels like forever.

That being said, it would be cool to see third person return at some point in a future sequel.

Fushitsusha

Banned
RE7 is different but thats the point, Capcom just didn't wanted RE6. 5 with the same lore and characters messing things up, Wesker and Spencer are dead, what are they even doing now, no loose ends or natural way to continue the storyline for them, they also change their appaerance and voice actors like shoes to a point its not the same anymore but a weird blank state (like jill on revelations 1)

The REmakes are a great way of revisiting those scenarions and characters without convulting things. Keeping their legacy alive.

But i also wanted to be surprised and afraid of Resident Evil once more, and 7 did that, with its amazing atmospheric first person view and likeable antagonists, it was a return to form for the team and critics/fans loved it, ironically its the game less resembling Resident Evil 4 thats the best recieved since it, and not the games that tried to iterate on its formula, it made me passionate about the series again
She's writing a whole bunch of shit, simplifying everything without actually saying much as if they are facts. Obviously didn't even play the game(s) like the rest of them still droning on about the same criticism that never applied. The game is the freaking definition of Resident Evil since the absolute first game, literally a residence of evil to boot. Competent survival gameplay with an arsenal of weapons and ways to use them, focus on item management, puzzles, infected enemies, bioterrorism, Umbrella, and more. Leon S Kennedy suplexing Ganados in third-person action while harassed by a midget and his alien pet is apparently so much more of an RE game. Or the whole of Code Veronica with cutscenes like it's the damn Matrix. Then I haven't even talked about the crossdressing or incest.

A change of perspective and introducing two new characters into the franchise apparently makes all the same themes and core gameplay (survival action) moot. Since that is far from the series first, what in the fuck is a Resident Evil game anyway?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
RE7 is different but thats the point, Capcom just didn't wanted RE6. 5 with the same lore and characters messing things up, Wesker and Spencer are dead, what are they even doing now, no loose ends or natural way to continue the storyline for them, they also change their appaerance and voice actors like shoes to a point its not the same anymore but a weird blank state (like jill on revelations 1)

The REmakes are a great way of revisiting those scenarions and characters without convulting things. Keeping their legacy alive.

But i also wanted to be surprised and afraid of Resident Evil once more, and 7 did that, with its amazing atmospheric first person view and likeable antagonists, it was a return to form for the team and critics/fans loved it, ironically its the game less resembling Resident Evil 4 thats the best recieved since it, and not the games that tried to iterate on its formula, it made me passionate about the series again

There's different, then there's too different. RE4 and especially RE7, are too different. I didn't mind as much for RE4, because it was an action genre redefining masterpiece, but RE7 is just a good game, and doesn't quite get that protection.

I want this series to go meaningfully forward, but not if it sheds it's entire identity and is fundamentally unrecognizable.

You say RE7 is the most well received, but really, isn't that RE2 Remake? Fans loved the blend of old and new, and felt that it was a perfect way to blend new and old, RE4 and classic RE.

Seeing a wholly new game in that style, would be far more appropriate and exciting way for RE to move forward. This should be it's own thing, or a spinoff that doesn't interfere with the series.

Arachnid

She was already introduced in Revelations 2. And IMO it wasn't a good villain. Not very interesting and felt fan service to me, like they wish to have another character to call "Wesker".
I know she was introduced already (that's what I meant when I said I didn't want her wasted on a side game, though it's my bad I stated that vaguely). I actually really liked her as a villain. She didn't have much in common with Albert outside of the last name and being a bad guy. I also liked her focus on experimentation/fucked up scenarios. Less clinically insane/egotistical like Albert, and more calculating/sadistic. We've had plenty of scientist antagonists in this series, but she fits the "scientist" archetype more than anything thanks to her methods (obviously not strict scientific method but I could tell that's what they were going for). I think she has potential. BOW experimentation/observation is a fantastic fit for the series, and the new BOWs seem more experimental which could be prime to introduce her to the main series.

They also made her an antagonist in the Resistance game mode with an updated model, so she's definitely not forgotten.

latest

Last edited:

urmie

Great thing about this is that Capcom is smart enough to re-use assets. So they aren't building RE8 to not use elements ever again. I'm sure they want to utilize all the hardwork the devs are putting in to maximize efficiency and bang for the buck. The fact that this is a Village should point to how RE4 Remake will look like. Just as an example, not sure if anyone noticed, but in the beginning of RE3 Remake, the part where you get in the car and run over Nemesis. That car is the same car Ethan uses in RE7.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: RSB

Stuart360

I thought it was a weird trailer in terms of visuals.

First, no 60 fps. Is that not happening now? I think it would be the first RE engine game not to at least target 60 fps.

Second, it was just so uneven. The opening couple of scenes looked current gen. Some of the worst graphics shown at the reveal. Then the scenes towards the end, with the huge hall with the chandelier and the man standing in the doorway, looked as next gen as anything I've seen.

It was weird, especially since it's not that far from release.
Why would it not be 60fps when all their recent games have been 60fps on current gen, and this is next gen.. It also looks hardly a step up from Resi 7/2/3 graphics wise, so i think 60fps is a given.

Fushitsusha

Banned
I know she was introduced already (that's what I meant when I said I didn't want her wasted on a side game, though it's my bad I stated that vaguely). I actually really liked her as a villain. She didn't have much in common with Albert outside of the last name and being a bad guy. I also liked her focus on experimentation/fucked up scenarios. Less clinically insane/egotistical like Albert, and more calculating/sadistic. We've had plenty of scientist antagonists in this series, but she fits the "scientist" archetype more than anything thanks to her methods (obviously not strict scientific method but I could tell that's what they were going for). I think she has potential. BOW experimentation/observation is a fantastic fit for the series, and the new BOWs seem more experimental which could be prime to introduce her to the main series.

They also made her an antagonist in the Resistance game mode with an updated model, so she's definitely not forgotten.

latest
She is already "confirmed" in but not main villain.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
She's writing a whole bunch of shit, simplifying everything without actually saying much as if they are facts. Obviously didn't even play the game(s) like the rest of them still droning on about the same criticism that never applied. The game is the freaking definition of Resident Evil since the absolute first game, literally a residence of evil to boot. Competent survival gameplay with an arsenal of weapons and ways to use them, focus on item management, puzzles, infected enemies, bioterrorism, Umbrella, and more. Leon S Kennedy suplexing Ganados in third-person action while harassed by a midget and his alien pet is apparently so much more of an RE game. Or the whole of Code Veronica with cutscenes like it's the damn Matrix. Then I haven't even talked about the crossdressing or incest.

A change of perspective and introducing two new characters into the franchise apparently makes all the same themes and core gameplay (survival action) moot. Since that is far from the series first, what in the fuck is a Resident Evil game anyway?

I see you chose delusion. Much of your criticism applies only to your own post.

Protip: You can enjoy 7 without making up a bunch of BS about how faithful to RE your parallel series about rednecks, werewolves, and plodding first person gameplay with hardly anything in common with RE, is.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Pot, meet kettle.

He's right. RE7 is the most RE game we've had since the originals. In a series that has been mutating normal humans into all kinds of monstrosities since the very first entry, is werewolves really where you draw the line?

You RE7 warriors are something else.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Looking forward to The Walking Dead reboot with werewolves and vampires, btw, to show how ridiculous this reductive thinking is in another setting.

Arachnid

You RE7 warriors are something else.
Dude, I'm not some kind of ride or die RE7 fanboy. I trashed the SHIT out of the game when it was first revealed. I wasn't good with what I perceived to be a huge series departure either. Over time though, they did those featurettes showcasing all the survival horror gameplay and returning series elements, and I realized the only leg I had to stand on was the first person. You seem like you're just sticking your head in the sand.

Looking forward to The Walking Dead reboot with werewolves and vampires, btw, to show how ridiculous this reductive thinking is in another setting.
Resident Evil isn't about zombies.

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
I see you chose delusion. Much of your criticism applies only to your own post.
That was the point, stating things as if they are facts (most of them are though), just like you do simplifying the game to make your criticisms sounds more valid. Look, I don't give a shit if you feel that RE7 is not a Resident Evil game, that is fine. However, your arguments barely exist here, you will have to write something more substantial. We are arguing an opinion, but can you honestly say that I have not stated more reasons currently than why 7 is a RE game than you have described why it's not?

I can't even begin to describe how retarded your current reply was. I'm doing an "Arcadia" but with even more substance and facts and you still criticize it. Then you criticize yourself without even realizing it.

We will agree to disagree. I won't be responding further.

Fushitsusha

Banned
You are like a parody at this point. No one said this. No one exaggerate like this currently except for you. Enjoy playing the same characters and same game over and over (see what i'm doing?)

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
Dude, I'm not some kind of ride or die RE7 fanboy. I trashed the SHIT out of the game when it was first revealed. I wasn't good with what I perceived to be a huge series departure either. Over time though, they did those featurettes showcasing all the survival horror gameplay and returning series elements, and I realized the only leg I had to stand on was the first person. You seem like you're just sticking your head in the sand.

Resident Evil isn't about zombies.
I always liked RE7 but it's quite the shallow game in the end, which makes sense. Content is lacking but quality is there. 8 will expand on this formula.

[Edit: Sorry for triple posting, I meant to add them as quotes.]

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

RE 8 Looks great.

Its not classic RE but neither have any of the games since Code Veronica.

Any body complaining about the vibe, the vibe was lost when Resident Evil 4 changed everything. People loved it and its a great game yes but it was a horrible example of what a resident Evil game should be and ruined the franchise.

From button bashing away to run away from boulders, to no metrovania areas, barely any puzzles and no zombies. Also baby sitting a character through waves of baddies....it was so bad for the RE formula. And killed the RE vibe completely.

Resident Evil 7 brought it closer back to its routes. Its still far off but at least its a survival horror game again.
Its reminds me of early non realised RE4 stuff. And the atmosphere looks new and great,

Hopefully RE9 brings back zombies though

Last edited:

Arachnid

I always liked RE7 but it's quite the shallow game in the end, which makes sense. Content is lacking but quality is there. 8 will expand on this formula.

Edit: Fuck, double post...................
Yeah, I agree. I still loved what it did, but the Baker estate should have been twice the size it was. The Old House also should have been bigger. It's clear they were trying to bring back that Spencer Estate feeling with the way you navigated around, but it should have been more.

I actually had a similar complaint with RE2make. Waaaaay too short. The RPD was actually a good size, but they didn't make good enough use of the space IMO (visiting most rooms once to get whatevers inside). The sewers and lab were just flat out too small. This trend of short horror games (duration wise or spatially) needs to go.

Last edited:

Doom85

She was already introduced in Revelations 2. And IMO it wasn't a good villain. Not very interesting and felt fan service to me, like they wish to have another character to call "Wesker".

Except her presence was foreshadowed all the way back to RE 5's DLC where you can find a file discussing the children who were involved in the Wesker project and only two names, Albert and Alex, were listed as survivors. So it was actually foreshadowed quite a while ago and for RE fans who remembered that set-up was a cool reveal at the end of Chapter 2 of Revelations 2.

And her plan actually made a bit more sense. Whereas some RE villains are like, "yeah, ultimate power and life!" but then just become some hideous monstrosity, Alex wanting to transfer her consciousness to a child to extend her life felt more "reasonable" for a villain's motivation.

Imagine if after shooting Mia, Chris says.

"ETHAN, FUCK MY SISTER, YOU HAVE TO CONTINUE THE REDFIELD BLOODLINE"

Ethan: Fuck you, you could have put babies in Jill and Sheva over a decade ago!
Chris: :(

EDMIX

The setting looks so code veronica, i'm loving the vibe.

I want to play it yesterday.
There also seems to be a double down on the enemy characters instead of just monsters, which is the correct decision in my book, since that it's what made RE7 so unique.

First thing I thought of too.

When I hear people say this doesn't look like Resident Evil, clearly we must evaluate how much of Resident Evil series they actually played in the first place.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Then I haven't even talked about the crossdressing or incest.
That was an interesting villain, what are you talking about?

Enemies and villains were the weakest aspect of 7. More down to earth? Maybe in the beginning when it's all homey and before shit hits the fan but it goes just as over the top with the blobs of darkness which are much like some RE5 enemies and it's all boring nonetheless.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What are YOU talking about? I didn't say it was a bad thing :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I mean, you were putting the games down as being un-resident evil compared to 7 and then adding how you haven't "even" talked about that stuff implying that's part of what makes it worse but you do you.

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
I mean, you were putting the games down as being un-resident evil compared to 7 and then adding how you haven't "even" talked about that stuff implying that's part of what makes it worse but you do you.
Uh, not at all? Quite the opposite in fact. I don't bloody know any more with this thread. :messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Because its be interesting to see them do it in 1st person.

And they havent done it in a main game properly since Code Veronica or Zero

Another step towards its main routes
I feel like zombies are pretty overplayed at this point, especially after their resurgence in the recent remakes. I aways felt like the zombies were the least interesting enemies in RE games, and really enjoyed that the series moved away from that with RE4.

Belmonte

Except her presence was foreshadowed all the way back to RE 5's DLC where you can find a file discussing the children who were involved in the Wesker project and only two names, Albert and Alex, were listed as survivors. So it was actually foreshadowed quite a while ago and for RE fans who remembered that set-up was a cool reveal at the end of Chapter 2 of Revelations 2.

And her plan actually made a bit more sense. Whereas some RE villains are like, "yeah, ultimate power and life!" but then just become some hideous monstrosity, Alex wanting to transfer her consciousness to a child to extend her life felt more "reasonable" for a villain's motivation.

Yeah, I know about this. Didn't like, foreshadowed or not.

And IMO transferring her conscience to another person is too sci-fi for RE. We have some weird stuff but this is a new level.

Either way, I hope her RE8 version is cooler than in Revelations 2.

Astral Dog

Yeah, I know about this. Didn't like, foreshadowed or not.

And IMO transferring her conscience to another person is too sci-fi for RE. We have some weird stuff but this is a new level.

Either way, I hope her RE8 version is cooler than in Revelations 2.
You have the queen leech mimicking Marcus personality in Zero, a virus that (supposedly) adapts to its host personality, another one that only bonds with a human with perfect genes, a virus that gives Matrix like powers and clothes, a parasite that mind controls its hosts through religion, a fungus that mind controls and causes hallucinations

But somehow mind transferring is too much? 🤔

Last edited:
I am definitely intrigued. Someone's story is coming to an end... I think the last we saw of Chris was that he was working to track down The Connections but I guess he is under some kind of evil trance now.

Last edited:

Belmonte

You have the queen leech mimicking Marcus personality in Zero, a virus that (supposedly) adapts to its host personality, another one that only bonds with a human with perfect genes, a virus that gives Matrix like powers and clothes, a parasite that mind controls its hosts through religion, a fungus that mind controls and causes hallucinations

But somehow mind transferring is too much? 🤔

To me, yes.

Everything you said is very weird. But transferring yourself to another living being is another level. If I need to draw the line, it is with Alex power.

It is not only an increase in strength/speed, it is not hallucinations, it is not controlling lesser animals. It is actually transferring someone's mind to another person. I expect something like that from Silent Hill or some futuristic story. How this would work without magic? Rearranging the neurons to be exactly like Alex brain? And would not this result in a copy instead of a mind transfer? I don't know man...

I love RE, it is one of my favorite franchises and I'm hyped for RE8. I even liked Revelations 2. But I think the mind transfer is too much.

dan76

... say RE7 is the most well received, but really, isn't that RE2 Remake? Fans loved the blend of old and new, and felt that it was a perfect way to blend new and old, RE4 and classic RE.

Seeing a wholly new game in that style, would be far more appropriate and exciting way for RE to move forward. This should be it's own thing, or a spinoff that doesn't interfere with the series.

I've got to chime in and agree with this. For some reason RE fans bitch to each other about which version is best, and if you don't agree you're a piece of shit. Why can't everyone enjoy the different styles of games in the series?

RE2 was almost a perfect balance of REmake and 4, highly praised, so surely this is the way forward. 7 was a relief after the mixed bag of 6 because it was a return to a more focused horror game, not because it was in first person. Other than VR I can't see why they're sticking with it after they seemed to have cracked the formula with RE2.

Also, with 8 I hope they don't shit the bed with the last half of the game like they did with 7. The boat and saltmines were pretty terrible.

TBF Walking Dead used to hint that the functionality of the zombies was supernatural in nature.

Shane pointed this out in one of the earlier season when he said that how they're even still moving was physically impossible. But it was another plot thread that never went anywhere because Kirkman was just making shit up as he went along.

Astral Dog

I've got to chime in and agree with this. For some reason RE fans bitch to each other about which version is best, and if you don't agree you're a piece of shit. Why can't everyone enjoy the different styles of games in the series?

RE2 was almost a perfect balance of REmake and 4, highly praised, so surely this is the way forward. 7 was a relief after the mixed bag of 6 because it was a return to a more focused horror game, not because it was in first person. Other than VR I can't see why they're sticking with it after they seemed to have cracked the formula with RE2.

Also, with 8 I hope they don't shit the bed with the last half of the game like they did with 7. The boat and saltmines were pretty terrible.
There's different, then there's too different. RE4 and especially RE7, are too different. I didn't mind as much for RE4, because it was an action genre redefining masterpiece, but RE7 is just a good game, and doesn't quite get that protection.

I want this series to go meaningfully forward, but not if it sheds it's entire identity and is fundamentally unrecognizable.

You say RE7 is the most well received, but really, isn't that RE2 Remake? Fans loved the blend of old and new, and felt that it was a perfect way to blend new and old, RE4 and classic RE.

I liked REmake 2, thought it was a well crafted reimagining of the original game, however when i play it i cant help to think its not as good as an action game as re4 or as good as an horror game as re7 imo,both REmake2 and 7 are good evolutions of the classic formula.but fans like to shit on one over the other.

I said its the most well recieved because at the time, well it was, from critics and fans alike its the scariest RE game for a long time and that was a big deal,the first person VR,,atmosphere,antagonists were praised a lot, REmake 2 got higher reviews later but its still a REmake made by a different team based off the playstation 1 game, obviously the RE7 team got praise and started working on a sequel, wich was called Revelations 3 at first,then renamed into a main game again.

Alot of people loved RE7 and wanted to see a sequel, this is not the end of third person Resident evil, heck we just got TWO third person games! with another rumored, and there was another version of RE8 that might still be worked on. REmake2 director is obviously making a new game too.

Resident Evil series is so popular that it means different things for parts of the fanbase, some love all the action games and despise the horror ones, others dont like the action games, others love both,others just RE on third person with the familiar characters i thinks its cool that the series keeps evolving though its impossible to make everyone happy .

Why did the shittiest scene get showed in this game? The scene where you're in the house and it gets insanely choppy was the scene we saw the most of and the scenes that were most stunning such as the mansion with the chandelier and the view of the large castle and the cool scene with the snowy crop and scarecrow just get half second glimpse of. I wanted to see more of those scenes.

Kokoloko85

I feel like zombies are pretty overplayed at this point, especially after their resurgence in the recent remakes. I aways felt like the zombies were the least interesting enemies in RE games, and really enjoyed that the series moved away from that with RE4.

Each to their own I guess.
Id love for them to go back to zombies now that they have done some great resident evils this gen.
Go for a fully classic type of setting and try it in 1st person

Vary it around, 1 new entry, remakes and some classic style

DogofWar

The village scenery reminded me a bit of RE4, which made me glad. I haven't played any RE game since 5, which I thought was quite bad outside the co-op.

Will see how this turns out. I am a huge fan of every RE game up to and including 4 so if they go back to that mood I will be interested.

Nickolaidas

My theory, pulled straight out of my arsehole:

Resident Evil 8 shares similarities with RE4's setting (village, castle) in order to have assets ready for Capcom to re-use when they will make the inevitable RE4make a couple of years down the line and save some development time.

When I first watched the Future of Gaming presentation, RE8 was the trailer I was the least excited watching.

However, it ended up being the one I re-watched the most times. There's something truly awesome to it, a feeling of urgency that made me hear 'this is going to be the toughest RE game yet, and the stakes are really high'. If the virus has a different effect on men and women (the former becoming D&D Werewolves and the latter becoming D&D Hags), this will also be something mind-blowing to me.

All in all, I can't wait to hear more in August.

SuperGooey

Capcom said we are getting more info in August, so I think it's fair to expect a new trailer at Sony's State of Play.

I think we are going to get a confirmation that RE8 will take advantage of PSVR, and will also launch on PS4.

xPikYx

Capcom said we are getting more info in August, so I think it's fair to expect a new trailer at Sony's State of Play.

I think we are going to get a confirmation that RE8 will take advantage of PSVR, and will also launch on PS4.
Hopefully not, with all due respect they cannot announce the game to be exclusive for next gen saying current geb wasn't powerful enough and than after a month change their mind and announce it for current gen

Top Bottom