• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So pumped!

I was going to Steam this one, but nah. 60 FPS does NOT matter for this game. A controller does. I'll do the PS4 version.

I love this game. The only shitty thing about it is the limited inventory. People will defend the "management" but I thought it was illogical and slapped on a few unnecessary, tensionless jogs to the storage crates. Blah.

Just want to point out it's weird to say that 60fps doesn't matter for the game when you have not tried it in 60fps.

Has anybody here played the game on dolphin with it on 60 fps?
Did it break the game in any way?

It's still framerate locked to 30fps when emulating.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
yes, the game is too fast (runs at 200%)

To be clear, this is not the same as what 60fps on the Steam version will be. They've already shown video of it and it works as it should based on what we've seen. No clue how animated backgrounds will look though.

One way I think the original beats REmake is how the storyline and cutscenes you see changed based on what you do and where you go. It does in REmake too but it seems to me its at more obvious set points. I could post a single screenshot of how to decide the fate of Barry in REmake. I couldn't do that with RE1 as its based on your actions in multiple events. My first play of RE1 I didn't even see the famous Jill sandwich scene as it only happens if you head there the first chance you get, if you don't then he wont save you in that room and you have to solve it with the broken shotgun instead. I think you instead next meet Barry in an upstairs room. I liked that system as it added replay value.

I'm kind of torn on this. The original definitly had more branching paths which is nice on replays but on the other hand, you can actually get most possible encounters with other characters during one playthrough in the REmake which is especially nice for Chris's scenario.

In the original, depending on what you did during your first mansion visit you either met Rebecca again in the guardhouse where she helped against Plant 42 and then not again until the very end of the game or you didn't meet her in the guardhouse, later on saved her from a Hunter and then never met her again until the very end.

In the REmake there are some alternate versions as to whether or not she makes V-Jolt to weaken the plant but regardless, you always meet her after the boss fight and you always have to save her from the Hunter. More stuff is happening during a single playthrough.

Oh and in my opinion the original soundtrack is better then the remade one for most of the tracks.

That's one thing I can agree on, especially the track when you first meet Richard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4BgVKlAX6s

One other thing I like, the original feels much faster, with the running speed and everything. Can't say that I prefer one thing over the other, both have a very different feel, but it's one thing the original has going for it at least.

I don't know if either the Saturn* port or PS Directors Cut(the only versions I have played) were harder then the original Japanese version but I'm pretty sure they took more shots then that.. I think Plant 42 is the most obvious one though, it goes down very easily in REmake even without V-Jolt.

Not sure if the american Saturn version follows the american PS1 version's difficulty but the Director's Cut is identical to the japanese version in all regions in that regard.

The snake takes more shots if you don't aim for the head, but if you do, it's 4 shotgun blasts during the first fight and 5 for the second.

Plant 42 takes a lot more hits than in the REmake but I wouldn't call it hard, just go in a corner where the tentacles can't reach you, there are several good spots and blast away, the fluid dropping from the ceiling barely does any damage. At least you actually have to run around and evade it's attacks in the remake.

Mr_Zombie

One way I think the original beats REmake is how the storyline and cutscenes you see changed based on what you do and where you go. It does in REmake too but it seems to me its at more obvious set points. I could post a single screenshot of how to decide the fate of Barry in REmake. I couldn't do that with RE1 as its based on your actions in multiple events. My first play of RE1 I didn't even see the famous Jill sandwich scene as it only happens if you head there the first chance you get, if you don't then he wont save you in that room and you have to solve it with the broken shotgun instead. I think you instead next meet Barry in an upstairs room. I liked that system as it added replay value.

This is what I really don't like about REmake. In RE1 Barry's fate was decided on yours - the player's - actions but without making it obvious.
In order to save Barry (or for Barry to return to help you during the confrontation with Wesker), throughout the whole game you had to show that you trust him - by waiting for him when he drops the line; by going with him through the underground tunnels and by allowing him to lead the way
. In REmake the game just asks you one, simple and obvious question that resolves it all; and it does it in awful way.
Just before that scene Jill confronts Barry that he is up to something (IIRC it is implied that he wanted her dead) and that he needs to explain this; she even points his gun at him. Lisa appears, question about "trust" is answered and everything is forgotten, as if that scene never happened.

When that happened I was really disappointed at how stupid that scene and the whole decision tree about Barry was made in this game.
Not to mention, when Barry dies in that scene, he dies quickly - he just falls down. There's no pre-death dialogue, no time for goodbye and regrets and thus, no Requiem theme :/

gelf

I'm kind of torn on this. The original definitly had more branching paths which is nice on replays but on the other hand, you can actually get most possible encounters with other characters during one playthrough in the REmake which is especially nice for Chris's scenario.

In the original, depending on what you did during your first mansion visit you either met Rebecca again in the guardhouse where she helped against Plant 42 and then not again until the very end of the game or you didn't meet her in the guardhouse, later on saved her from a Hunter and then never met her again until the very end.

In the REmake there are some alternate versions as to whether or not she makes V-Jolt to weaken the plant but regardless, you always meet her after the boss fight and you always have to save her from the Hunter. More stuff is happening during a single playthrough.
This is what I really don't like about REmake. In RE1 Barry's fate was decided on yours - the player's - actions but without making it obvious.
In order to save Barry (or for Barry to return to help you during the confrontation with Wesker), throughout the whole game you had to show that you trust him - by waiting for him when he drops the line; by going with him through the underground tunnels and by allowing him to lead the way
. In REmake the game just asks you one, simple and obvious question that resolves it all; and it does it in awful way.
Just before that scene Jill confronts Barry that he is up to something (IIRC it is implied that he wanted her dead) and that he needs to explain this; she even points his gun at him. Lisa appears, question about "trust" is answered and everything is forgotten, as if that scene never happened.

When that happened I was really disappointed at how stupid that scene and the whole decision tree about Barry was made in this game.
Not to mention, when Barry dies in that scene, he dies quickly - he just falls down. There's no pre-death dialogue, no time for goodbye and regrets and thus, no Requiem theme :/

You both have made me realise something now. I prefer REmake for the Chris path and RE1 for the Jill path. Chris barely sees Rebecca in the original so its good REmake fixes that but on the other hand I also don't like how REmake deals with Barry for the reasons pointed out above.

You both have made me realise something now. I prefer REmake for the Chris path and RE1 for the Jill path. Chris barely sees Rebecca in the original so its good REmake fixes that but on the other hand I also don't like how REmake deals with Barry for the reasons pointed out above.

That's how I see it as well, in the original Jill's story is better, in the REmake it's Chris's story for those exact reasons. Also, Jill's and Barry's dialogue in the REmake is too intentionally goofy and it doesn't really work with the atmosphere they're going for.

Gameplaywise I prefer Chris's scenario in both versions though, in the original Jill is too easy.

Sectus

While REmake could have expanded on it more, I think choices are handled better in that version. The scenes where you get choices in RE1 seems completely arbitrary. I played as Chris in my last playthrough, and I had a choice early on about whether or not to let Rebecca follow me. And I have no idea what that choice was about. I saw no indication of anything happening after that choice. I would kinda expect she'd follow me somewhere, but she didn't. I guess if I chose no she'll randomly die at one point in the game?

One thing which works a lot better (which both versions do as far as I know) are indirect choices. For instance, whether or not you save Richard will lead to different scenes in numerous parts of the game. Many scenes with Barry are missable depending on where you go and when you go there. I also like the small touch that the scene with Barry giving you grenade launcher ammo is slightly different depending on if you enter the main hall from the first or second floor. I also like that you'll usually get a small extra scene if you go back and talk to people. Those scenes is an aspect of the game I really like, and something I wish more RE games did.

It looks like they removed the Wesker Report for the Western release.

That doesn't surprise me. I don't think that was ever announced for the Western releases of the game, and in the Asia/Japan release the entire game is translated except for the Wesker report.

Sectus

Someone with a review copy has been uploading screenshots to the community hub for REmaster on steam (all screenshots are 720p though). Since I still have footage of 360 version, I made a quick comparison:

PC:
304240_screenshots_2056jv3.jpg

xbox 360:
remaster-rebecca-jilleojhj.png

Xbox version has a very soft look (due to FXAA?) and I'm glad PC version looks a lot sharper. There's also higher res textures and more shadows in PC version.

While REmake could have expanded on it more, I think choices are handled better in that version. The scenes where you get choices in RE1 seems completely arbitrary. I played as Chris in my last playthrough, and I had a choice early on about whether or not to let Rebecca follow me. And I have no idea what that choice was about. I saw no indication of anything happening after that choice. I would kinda expect she'd follow me somewhere, but she didn't. I guess if I chose no she'll randomly die at one point in the game?

When you tell her to come with you you'll take control of her if Chris gets poisoned by the Snake and then you have to get the serum. Later in the guardhouse you take control of her again to mix V-Jolt and save Chris from Plant 42.

If you tell her to stay put, she can heal you for free about 2 or 3 times whenever you visit her in the save room. If you get poisoned by the Snake she'll automatically carry you back to the save room and heal you. She won't show up during the Plant 42 fight and later on, when you go back to the mansion she gets attacked by a Hunter and can possibly die if you don't intervene.

And with that said, I don't think the branching paths in the original are handled badly at all.

fantomena

I don't think I will break the embargo by doing this, but there is no sign of any higher resolution than 1080p when Nvidias DSR is enabled.

Just to inform you guys.

Grief.exe

I don't think I will break the embargo by doing this, but there is no sign of any higher resolution than 1080p when Nvidias DSR is enabled.

Just to inform you guys.

That is certainly very strange, I'd argue that downsampling will have reduced impact on this game, but we are on the cusp of higher resolution monitors becoming more ubiquitous.

Hopefully we can get this patched or unlocked. Depends who is doing the port, but Capcom tends to be fairly perceptive. The shear amount of post-release support for RE4 was to be commended.

Jawmuncher

That is certainly very strange, I'd argue that downsampling will have reduced impact on this game, but we are on the cusp of higher resolution monitors becoming more ubiquitous.

Hopefully we can get this patched or unlocked. Depends who is doing the port, but Capcom tends to be fairly perceptive. The shear amount of post-release support for RE4 was to be commended.

Won't the issue be related to the backgrounds once again more than anything.
They worked on them for up to 1080p and no more?

scitek

Yeah, remember they patched in 1440p support to RE:Revelations, so it wouldn't be unheard of. Hoping it'll go higher, though. If nothing else, maybe via a config file.

Gurish

Anyone that plays the new version: what display method do you recommend? 16:9 or 4:3? it sucks hard playing with bars, is 16:9 good enough?

Anyone that plays the new version: what display method do you recommend? 16:9 or 4:3? it sucks hard playing with bars, is 16:9 good enough?

I haven't played it yet, but I am leaning very heavily toward 4:3. The reason is that so much of the scene seems to cropped in order to run it in 16:9. I really don't like the Pan & Scan as there could be enemies in top and bottom of the scene that you cannot see whereas with 4:3 you get the full scene.

Gurish

I haven't played it yet, but I am leaning very heavily toward 4:3. The reason is that so much of the scene seems to cropped in order to run it in 16:9. I really don't like the Pan & Scan as there could be enemies in top and bottom of the scene that you cannot see whereas with 4:3 you get the full scene.
Yea that's why it's important to hear from someone who is playing the game- maybe you can see the enemies and it works great, if It doesn't I'll play at 4:3 although i rather not :/

I've played the PS3 version and I very much prefer 4:3 as well, I don't really like the panning effect, if you're climbing something the screen tends to bump up and down during the animation and ultimately, you see less on screen at once which defeats the whole purpose of widescreen.

And of course the backgrounds look quite a bit sharper in 4:3.

Xpliskin

Someone with a review copy has been uploading screenshots to the community hub for REmaster on steam (all screenshots are 720p though). Since I still have footage of 360 version, I made a quick comparison:

PC:
304240_screenshots_2056jv3.jpg

xbox 360:
remaster-rebecca-jilleojhj.png

Xbox version has a very soft look (due to FXAA?) and I'm glad PC version looks a lot sharper. There's also higher res textures and more shadows in PC version.

That shot gives Jill sandwich a whole new meaning.
Alright, I'll get out.

Gurish

I've played the PS3 version and I very much prefer 4:3 as well, I don't really like the panning effect, if you're climbing something the screen tends to bump up and down during the animation and ultimately, you see less on screen at once which defeats the whole purpose of widescreen.

And of course the backgrounds look quite a bit sharper in 4:3.
Fuck! 4:3 it is than, my TV screen is only 32", playing at 4:3 with those black bars will give me the experience of a 25" :/

Sectus

Just to inform you guys.

That's a bit disappointing. The only "bright" side is that this is the one game where this matters the least, but even if backgrounds start to look more out of place, I would still like the option to be there. I was hoping to play at 2560x1440 at 4:3 which shouldn't look so bad since that should match the resolution of the backgrounds (I assume they're 1920x1440 for xbox one/ps4/pc).

This might be fixable via modding though.

I personally prefer 4:3. You can change this at any time, so you can try both and see what you prefer.

And unlike most other RE titles where new game+ only means some new outfits and bonus weapons (Which are also in REmake of course.) you get some special new game+ modes that significantly change how the game is played.

Xpliskin

And unlike most other RE titles where new game+ only means some new outfits and bonus weapons (Which are also in REmake of course.) you get some special new game+ modes that significantly change how the game is played.
I dare you to finish invisible and "one dangerous zombie" modes with a knife...while blindfolded.
The real survival-horror starts here.

Nemesis_

I dare you to finish invisible and "one dangerous zombie" modes with a knife...while blindfolded.
The real survival-horror starts here.

Can you even do that? One Dangerous Zombie mode seems to only work on Once Again mode I thought.....which can't be stacked with Invisible Enemy or Real Survival.

Maybe I'm wrong

Sectus

For the heck of it, I browsed through all the backgrounds in REmaster. It's an interesting way to see how they've handled each scene. There's not really anything new to learn, it's basically confirming what Capcom has said they've done with the game, and stuff you can observe by playing it.

It's obvious they've spent a extra lot of special time with all the outdoor areas, as they look super weird when looking at just the static background image. For instance, here's a bunch:
http://abload.de/img/r20304_000_bm_nomiptrkc4.png
http://abload.de/img/r31112_000_bm_nomip3vj6w.png
http://abload.de/img/r31111_000_bm_nomipi2jim.png
http://abload.de/img/r31109_000_bm_nomip7ejf6.png
http://abload.de/img/r31110_000_bm_nomipqgkp4.png
http://abload.de/img/r31107_000_bm_nomip3uk1c.png
http://abload.de/img/r31105_000_bm_nomipwvj9c.png
http://abload.de/img/r31106_000_bm_nomip8ujug.png
http://abload.de/img/r31104_000_bm_nomip5pj3c.png
http://abload.de/img/r31101_000_bm_nomip66jfb.png
http://abload.de/img/r31108_000_bm_nomipafk7u.png
http://abload.de/img/r311_bgz-00000000013ejs9.png (REmake version. most of the forest are rendered using movie files in REmake version, but this is one of the few exceptions)

And the "I just don't give a shit" award goes to this background:
http://abload.de/img/r20607_000_bm_nomipjwk7r.png

That's one of the backgrounds used in the cutscene where you save Rebecca from a hunter. Looks like they applied something similar to a nearest neighbour filter and called it a day.

In a few areas, they are rendering the background essentially as a "movie file." For instance, there's one room in the residence with some really subtle water effects on the ground, and while there's only 2 angles in the room, there's 60 different pictures. So it's cycling through the images one frame at a time. Same thing with many rooms in the the entire laboratory. Once the alarm is on, there's red light animating which is done by cycling through background images. Giant fan is animated the same way.

All in all, there's 2500 unique background images in REmaster. Far more than REmake as that uses literal movie files for many of the rooms.

You know what I find kinda sad? Even though this is a port of a GameCube game, it still can't maintain a locked 30fps, according to DF. :/

If it was just the Gamecube assets with no changes then that would be really weird, but this is on a new engine with all assets at a much higher quality. And as far as I know, all those frame drops are related to camera switches. The game probably loads in each background as they're used, and I guess loading more than 10mb worth of texture data in the time span of 33ms ends up being a bit tricky.

On the bright side, this should not be very noticeable while playing the game. When I played through 360 version, I had to look at captured footage to realize it was dropping frames for each camera switch.

The PS3 version at least has some very noticable framerate drops during certain camera angles (Not transitions.), most noticable in cutscenes but it also happens during gameplay a few times.

I should mention though that It's only in a very few places.

Xpliskin

Can you even do that? One Dangerous Zombie mode seems to only work on Once Again mode I thought.....which can't be stacked with Invisible Enemy or Real Survival.

Maybe I'm wrong
Nah they don't stack.
Blindfolding on the other hand can be sold separately :D

Which version?

PS4: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-resident-evil-on-ps4

Though, who knows what is causing it. It could be that the game is loading the next scene in the background causing the dips.

Edit:

Digital Foundry said:
A frame-rate analysis of Resident Evil remastered on PS4. It's a 30fps game, despite the heavy use of pre-rendered backdrops and cut-scenes. The series' idiosyncratic stutter that goes with each camera angle shift is maintained here also, causing drops below this number.

For the heck of it, I browsed through all the backgrounds in REmaster. It's an interesting way to see how they've handled each scene. There's not really anything new to learn, it's basically confirming what Capcom has said they've done with the game, and stuff you can observe by playing it.

It's obvious they've spent a extra lot of special time with all the outdoor areas, as they look super weird when looking at just the static background image. For instance, here's a bunch:
http://abload.de/img/r311_bgz-00000000013ejs9.png (REmake version. most of the forest are rendered using movie files in REmake version, but this is one of the few exceptions)

That's one of the backgrounds used in the cutscene where you save Rebecca from a hunter. Looks like they applied something similar to a nearest neighbour filter and called it a day.

In a few areas, they are rendering the background essentially as a "movie file." For instance, there's one room in the residence with some really subtle water effects on the ground, and while there's only 2 angles in the room, there's 60 different pictures. So it's cycling through the images one frame at a time. Same thing with many rooms in the the entire laboratory. Once the alarm is on, there's red light animating which is done by cycling through background images. Giant fan is animated the same way.

All in all, there's 2500 unique background images in REmaster. Far more than REmake as that uses literal movie files for many of the rooms.

If it was just the Gamecube assets with no changes then that would be really weird, but this is on a new engine with all assets at a much higher quality. And as far as I know, all those frame drops are related to camera switches. The game probably loads in each background as they're used, and I guess loading more than 10mb worth of texture data in the time span of 33ms ends up being a bit tricky.

On the bright side, this should not be very noticeable while playing the game. When I played through 360 version, I had to look at captured footage to realize it was dropping frames for each camera switch.

Oh god, I had a panic attack when I looked at those before reading and remembering the leaves are now 3d animated objects. Thought they screwed up some of my favorite areas :p

Huh. Didn't know it was a brand new engine.
Which version?

PS4: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-resident-evil-on-ps4

Though, who knows what is causing it. It could be that the game is loading the next scene in the background causing the dips.

Edit:
Welp, I guess that's the reason. Not too bad.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

My understanding is that it wasn't actually movie files for the backgrounds, though very similar in concept. Rather than an actual video file, it was an original image, followed by a difference image for each frame. This is BASICALLY the same thing as a movie file, but it is still just a bunch of separate images.

At least that's how it is output when texture dumping with Dolphin.

Sectus

My understanding is that it wasn't actually movie files for the backgrounds, though very similar in concept. Rather than an actual video file, it was an original image, followed by a difference image for each frame. This is BASICALLY the same thing as a movie file, but it is still just a bunch of separate images.

At least that's how it is output when texture dumping with Dolphin.

That's just Dolphin thinking it's a unique texture even though it's from a movie file. I've had that happen with multiple games.

I don't know what exact format those rooms are in. I used a program scanning for jpeg headers and then extracting each occurrence to get all the backgrounds from REmake, and that way I got every background except for the ones which are supposedly just movie files.

Parsnip

Does anyone know when GMG will be sending out keys?

We don't know. It depends when Capcom gives them keys to distribute. Sometimes we get keys well in advance, sometimes not. I haven't pre-ordered anything Capcom from GMG so I don't know how they have been in the past.

Greenzxy

Wait, I haven't been following this game much, but you're telling me that everything is being done by scratch? Everything in this game is being built from the ground up on a completely new engine?

image.php

Top Bottom