• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Finished normal with Jill and hard with Chris.

Now I'm going to do a knife-run in very easy. Jill can take two more health-items with her against bosses, Chris can take more hits.
Who is the better choice?

Nemesis_

Finished normal with Jill and hard with Chris.

Now I'm going to do a knife-run in very easy. Jill can take two more health-items with her against bosses, Chris can take more hits.
Who is the better choice?

Chris is better with the Knife and can take more hits.

Knife runs sound pretty hard but they're actually not all that difficult if you play ahead and I guess save often. You only really need to use the Knife against Yawn, Plant 42 and the Tyrant I'm fairly certain and they're all pretty easy to exploit.

But yeah, definitey Chris for the knife run

Any word if the US release has the normal US confirm and deselect control scheme? Japan has o as confirm and x for cancel usually and the PS3 release has that too.

Parsnip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s7C_vNibCA - Huzzah, victory against the evil door menace!

I guess this shows the real loading times for 360 version. They're not instant as in Wii version, but still fairly brief.

Does that skip to next room as soon as it's done loading and that's why it shows the door for a brief moment? I guess what I'm really asking is if we can expect PC version of said mod be instant because of better loading times.

Sectus

Does that skip to next room as soon as it's done loading and that's why it shows the door for a brief moment? I guess what I'm really asking is if we can expect PC version of said mod be instant because of better loading times.

It's shown on screen briefly because I'm continuously updating a memory value rather slowly (if I did it too fast, the memory write would fail). Memory editing is far easier to do on PC, so I'm hoping to make it so you don't see a single frame of the door animation.

Grief.exe

Took me a minute to figure out I had to examine the Golden Arrow to remove the arrowhead, then retrieved the Sword Key!

I'm getting there, I desperately want to play more, but I have to leave for work.

-MD-

Took me a minute to figure out I had to examine the Golden Arrow to remove the arrowhead, then retrieved the Sword Key!

I'm getting there, I desperately want to play more, but I have to leave for work.

How are you playing already? Figured you were getting the PC version.

Parsnip

It's shown on screen briefly because I'm continuously updating a memory value rather slowly (if I did it too fast, the memory write would fail). Memory editing is far easier to do on PC, so I'm hoping to make it so you don't see a single frame of the door animation.

That's excellent.

I think I'm going to play through this once without any kind of mods for that authentic experience, but after that it just makes sense to not see those doors anymore.

Grief.exe

How are you playing already? Figured you were getting the PC version.

PC version it is, I can't go into the details, but I can say the port is excellent so far. Great Mouse controls and a solid 60 FPS. Having a blast.

How do people get confused with tank controls? It takes all of two minutes for your brain to adapt.

-MD-

PC version it is, I can't go into the details, but I can say the port is excellent so far. Great Mouse controls and a solid 60 FPS. Having a blast.

How do people get confused with tank controls? It takes all of two minutes for your brain to adapt.

Ah I see, Grief has the hookup ;p

Glad it's a good port, and I have no clue how people struggle with tank controls. I love them, the game would be a lot less fun without them.

BBboy20

So, I seem to notice that the consoles are 30fps but the PC is 60fps. Going by that loading video, it does seem like the PC version is the way to go if modders can help improve it further to make it close to an ultimate vision since it's apparent the console versions alone were in a "as-good-as-it-might-get" effort then an attempt to really push character and monster fidelity.

Though, they still do hold up to the test of time.

Nzyme32

Would you recommend going through the game with keyboard and mouse from what you have played so far, or do you think a controller is preferable?

Only just starting the preload

Been wondering this since I was 7 years old.

And yes, all old RE games had a few doors that took a bit longer to open, usually had different music or what not. Also some doors opened faster IE a running away cutscene and what not.

Grief.exe

How does mouse controls works? Since you can't aim with it, what exactly is it used for?

Just menus and inventory are mouse driven, but just drawing attention to the fact that the controls work as expected. Some console ports have terrible mouse controls.

I haven't played it, but as an example, Watch Dogs had the mouse mapped as an analog stick in certain menus.

Would you recommend going through the game with keyboard and mouse from what you have played so far, or do you think a controller is preferable?

Only just starting the preload

Keep in mind I've never played the game before, but the keyboard controls feel natural for a game like this.

Right click to aim your weapon, left click to shoot, WASD for movement. Everything is remapable if you want to remove the mouse all together. Tank controls render analog movement irrelevant.

Is it even technically possible for Capcom to patch in 60fps? It's pretty inexcusable that the console versions aren't. I'm not even the pickiest person about frame rate, but when it comes to remasters of games on previous generations I think 60fps should be absolutely mandatory. The PS4 version of Tomb Raider was 60fps at many points, though it was an unlocked frame rate, and you're telling me that Resident Evil couldn't run at 60fps?

I think the idea of a "remastered" version should be exactly that. Tomb Raider did it right for the most part at least on PS4, DMC is doing it right, and if we ever got remasters of games that released last-gen like Bioshock or Resident Evil 5 and 6 or even Castlevania Lords of Shadow, I would expect 60fps out of those as well. I wonder if there's a way to make some noise about this.

Is it even technically possible for Capcom to patch in 60fps? It's pretty inexcusable that the console versions aren't. I'm not even the pickiest person about frame rate, but when it comes to remasters of games on previous generations I think 60fps should be absolutely mandatory. The PS4 version of Tomb Raider was 60fps at many points, though it was an unlocked frame rate, and you're telling me that Resident Evil couldn't run at 60fps?

I think the idea of a "remastered" version should be exactly that. Tomb Raider did it right for the most part at least on PS4, DMC is doing it right, and if we ever got remasters of games that released last-gen like Bioshock or Resident Evil 5 and 6 or even Castlevania Lords of Shadow, I would expect 60fps out of those as well. I wonder if there's a way to make some noise about this.

Metro was locked 60fps as well

Sectus

Would you still want 60fps knowing all pre-rendered cutscenes are locked to 30 (there's about 6 pre-rendered cutscenes you see in a playthrough), and a handful of backgrounds only animate at 30fps? I'm willing to bet that's why they decided to lock PS4 and xbox one to 30.

I think they should have simply made it an option on consoles. It's too bad publishers are so adverse to adding graphics options to console games.

Grief.exe

I've been wondering whether 60 frames has some animation issues that will come up with the PC version. RE4 had a few issues that couldn't be fixed.

As Alo and Sectus pointed out, consistency is a viable reason as well.

Many PC gamers would prefer to have the option and deal with the issues that crop up.

This generation is almost surreal to me in many ways. I remember getting into 1080p resolutions almost a decade ago.

We've been talking about running many of the referenced games at 4K resolutions, and native monitors and GPUs are beginning to hit mainstream prices.
I remember very recently many people would argue whether they could even see the difference between 1080p and 720p. Now, you have massive threads arguing minor resolution and frame rate differences between console versions.

Some of the discussions lately just take me back, thought I would remark on it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I feel like people think the game is 30fps locked due to hardware limitations, when I think it's far more likely that it is 30fps locked for consistency.

Them allowing 60fps is because PC gamers tend to be the tinker types and like messing with settings to get the best results, even if the results aren't absolutely ideal. Also people throw a hissy if games don't have 60fps support (rightfully so).

I expect that on PC, animated backgrounds will still run 30fps, some animations might run 30fps, and there will be other inconsistencies. PC gamers expect this stuff. Many publishers don't think console gamers will.

There is of course the argument that more options is always better (I agree) but it seems like they're sticking to the standard of "This is how the game originally was, this is how the game will be. No hiccups."

Kezen

Banned
This generation is almost surreal to me in many ways. I remember getting into 1080p resolutions almost a decade ago.

We've been talking about running many of the referenced games at 4K resolutions, and native monitors and GPUs are beginning to hit mainstream prices.
I remember very recently many people would argue whether they could even see the difference between 1080p and 720p. Now, you have massive threads arguing minor resolution and frame rate differences between console versions.

Some of the discussions lately just take me back, thought I would remark on it.

Completely agree. It's incredible how easy it is to outshine this new batch of consoles in graphically intensive multiplatform games. I was expecting it to be MUCH more difficult.
I guess I was underestimating how ahead current PC hardware truly is.

I feel like people think the game is 30fps locked due to hardware limitations, when I think it's far more likely that it is 30fps locked for consistency.

Them allowing 60fps is because PC gamers tend to be the tinker types and like messing with settings to get the best results, even if the results aren't absolutely ideal. Also people throw a hissy if games don't have 60fps support (rightfully so).

I expect that on PC, animated backgrounds will still run 30fps, some animations might run 30fps, and there will be other inconsistencies. PC gamers expect this stuff. Many publishers don't think console gamers will.

There is of course the argument that more options is always better (I agree) but it seems like they're sticking to the standard of "This is how the game originally was, this is how the game will be. No hiccups."

or they simply didn't want to devote any resources to getting it to 60fps on current gen consoles.

Is the gamecube type C controller option included in the PC port? I always went with type C whenever I played REmake on gamecube, and it would be very disappointing if it were not included in the PC port.

Sectus

People who have it... does it have film grain and can it be turned off?

Speaking of which, if people with the game have permission to take screenshots, I'd be curious to see the extra options you have for graphics and controls in PC version.

-MD-

yeah, it sounds like you guys are ordering everyone to play with tank controls..because its the superiour way, why not let everyone figure out themselves.

You got defensive over Grief saying tank controls were easy to learn and me saying I like tank controls. Nobody was even talking to you or telling you how you should play.

Bumhead

Banned
Completely agree. It's incredible how easy it is to outshine this new batch of consoles in graphically intensive multiplatform games. I was expecting it to be MUCH more difficult.
I guess I was underestimating how ahead current PC hardware truly is.

The problem with posts like this is that you assume the consoles cant output 1080/60 or whatever, when that is emphatically disproven by games that actually do on PS4 (and Xbox One, be it less so) while being more demanding than REmake HD.

I think it's FAR more likely a case of necessity over possibility. Does Resident Evil need to be 60fps? Does the console audience need it to be 60fps? Will the vast majority of people who buy it care if it's 30fps or 60fps?

Absolutely not. Especially that last one.

Is this ready for preload yet? If so does anyone have a link to the ps store so I can preorder it? I'm at work and can't find it right now.

Kezen

Banned
The problem with posts like this is that you assume the consoles cant output 1080/60 or whatever, when that is emphatically disproven by games that actually do on PS4 (and Xbox One, be it less so) while being more demanding than REmake HD.
I was not talking about this remake, hence my "graphically intensive" stipulation. There are already games which can't run at a 100% locked 30fps on consoles, and I believe they could not run at 60 (GTA 5, Unity).
It's going to be very interesting to see what PC is needed to match consoles in games like GTA 5 and Dying Light. :) It's astonishing that a mid-range gpu from 2013 (760) is trading blows (and more in current-gen only games...) with consoles benefiting from fixed specs + low level access.

Resident Evil is my all time favorite gaming series, that said, Remake is my all time favorite entry - in the Resident Evil series.

I remember being so excited (prelaunch) and printing out images from the Internet, to show all of my friends, before smartphones and mobile internet were a thing.

This game is masterclass in suspense and atmosphere. Shinji Mikami really upped the ante for the genre, with this being the greatest remix, to an already stellar game. So much of the game's core was altered with new rooms, mechanics and even a new area (cabin) - that it's entirety threw me for a loop.

The splendid visuals were (still are) ahead of their time, too!

The second this game was announced for PS4 - and other systems (I've got the game preloaded) - I knew many PC, Sony and MS would finally experience one of the best games ever created. Those who haven't played it (due to Nintendo exclusivity), are in for a treat.

REmake is a game from another era, an era pre RE4 controls and linearity. Yes, mechanically the game is old school and many lament that - but it's like having an old classic album finally remastered, for the modern times. Producers can tune the sounds and clean things up, but they should never alter what made the album a classic (new instruments, vocals) and sacrifice the artists' original work integrity.

I feel this game is a pure Resident Evil experience, one that shits all over the beloved RE4 and RE2. I hope everybody playing it for the first time will see why this entry and reworking is beloved. This is a beautiful tribute by Mikami, remaking his original entry for the GameCube era - rewriting his initial vision, because the PS1 limited his scope.

This will be a sumptuous REmaster of a classic REmake.

Hurry on, Tuesday!

Would you still want 60fps knowing all pre-rendered cutscenes are locked to 30 (there's about 6 pre-rendered cutscenes you see in a playthrough), and a handful of backgrounds only animate at 30fps? I'm willing to bet that's why they decided to lock PS4 and xbox one to 30.

I mean, I haven't played it yet and it's true I'm not completely informed of every technical aspect. I just see that the PC version is 60fps and it makes me wonder why the console versions aren't when they're surely more than capable.

If there's a consistency issue as you and Grief have pointed out, I guess I can understand that. Again, 30fps doesn't bother me. I just think that if a game is more than capable of running at double the frame rate, it should.

Grief.exe

The second this game was announced for PS4 - and other systems (I've got the game preloaded) - I knew many PC, Sony and MS would finally experience one of the best games ever created. Those who haven't played it (due to Nintendo exclusivity), are in for a treat.

I actually received a GC copy of REmake in the mail the day this was announced. Even with this version's shortcomings, I'm just happy this exists so we can easily experience this game now and going forward.

I would love for this to do well enough so Capcom can greenlight a REmake 2 as I've never played that game either. Hopefully Capcom just goes with 3D backgrounds instead of pre-rendered for posterity.

-MD-

The second this game was announced for PS4 - and other systems (I've got the game preloaded) - I knew many PC, Sony and MS would finally experience one of the best games ever created.

I played it when it originally released on Gamecube as a kid but I'm really glad we have a legit improved version of it on PC forever now.

Top Bottom