• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil REmake Remastered Review Thread

Some people legitimately don't enjoy Resident Evil. To them the game isn't a 10/10, or even a 7/10. It might be a 4/10. Regardless of how someone feels, why do they need to give 'excuses'? By using that word, and phrases like 'knocking off points' you're indicating that the game is owed some 10/10 score, and any reviewer that deviates too far from that has some 'splainin to do.

That's ridiculous. Maybe he only thought the game deserved 7/10 because that's how he felt while playing it. Why does he have to have a solid 'criticism' to justify each point lower than 10/10 that he scores the game?
Well you can't hate on something for no reason. The reason he gave out are stupid IMO.

Well you can't hate on something for no reason. The reason he gave out are stupid IMO.

7/10 is hardly 'hating on' something. And again, why do you need 'reasons'? It's a subjective piece of artwork. He didn't enjoy it as much as you did. Why is that hard to grasp? Why does he need 'reasons'?

Szadek

Great.I have REmake,but I'm probably going to buy this game just to show them that In want more games like this in the future.

7/10 is hardly 'hating on' something. And again, why do you need 'reasons'? It's a subjective piece of artwork. He didn't enjoy it as much as you did. Why is that hard to grasp? Why does he need 'reasons'?
Like I said if someone didn't like something then there must be a reason. And the reason as to why he didn't like them IMO are stupid.

Is there a reason the game has 60fps option on PC and not consoles?
It was designed as a 30 fps game. The game has pre-rendered backgrounds and movies that run at 30 fps. The controls don't require swift movement and response time compared to a typical 3rd/1st person game with shooter controls. There is no distinct advantage of 60 fps here. Even Digital Foundry said the same in their article.

Locking PC version at 30 fps means they had to face the backlash from community. I doubt anyone cares about it on PS4/XBO.

What? No! I've never seen this before. I've always shrugged off REmake2 and 3 suggestions, but it was actually being planned? WHY?!
Yes brother a long time ago. I think after release of part 0 they went straight to 4. They did release 2,3 and cvx for GC but straight port.

shandy706

sNOBX4PrQxGq.png

You have just s-s-sealed your doom.

/obscure reference

To further mess with people's phobias.....although this area looks really rough with the up-res...

yKRztkFURSue.png

Grief.exe

It was designed as a 30 fps game. The game has pre-rendered backgrounds and movies that run at 30 fps. The controls don't require swift movement and response time compared to a typical 3rd/1st person game with shooter controls. There is no distinct advantage of 60 fps here. Even Digital Foundry said the same in their article.

Locking PC version at 30 fps means they had to face the backlash from community. I doubt anyone cares about it on PS4/XBO.

Apparently Capcom admitted that PC gamers would just find a way to unlock it anyways. Might as well save some whining and unlock it from the start.

Exodist

isn't revelations 2 closer to the old titles than the more action based ones?

I can't really back it up, but I'm pretty sure they say this about every new Resi game. Revelations 1 to me at least was still very much like Resi 4 and so on, still a decent game though. I don't see Revelations 2 changing much.

Grief.exe

isn't revelations 2 closer to the old titles than the more action based ones?
I can't really back it up, but I'm pretty sure they say this about every new Resi game. Revelations 1 to me at least was still very much like Resi 4 and so on, still a decent game though. I don't see Revelations 2 changing much.

People who have that opinion seem to merely be comparing the titles superficially. Comparing the narrow corridors found in Revelarions to those in RE1/2/3.

It becomes immediately apparent when playing Revelations that it has little to do thematically with the first three games, and more in common with the latter entries.

I've never understood the comparison and I haven't even played RE1 before now.

ArjanN

People who have that opinion seem to merely be comparing the titles superficially. Comparing the narrow corridors found in Revelarions to those in RE1/2/3.

It becomes immediately apparent when playing Revelations that it has little to do thematically with the first three games, and more in common with the latter entries.

Eh, I feel it's somewhere in the middle, it's definitely a bit less action and a little more horror focused than RE5 and 6.

The gothic ship setting is closer to the original mansion than other entries' settings, I guess. But the
better
control scheme and large array of customizable weapons puts it in the shooter-influenced latter day RE camp. It's still the best one since 4, though, and isn't quite as action heavy as 5 or 6.

EDIT:

Eh, I feel it's somewhere in the middle, it's definitely a bit less action and a little more horror focused than RE5 and 6.

Jinx!

Feindflug

That isn't even remotely the same.

Yes it is, you can't sidestep in SF2 because it's in two dimensions and you can't have free camera controls in REmake because it has fixed camera angles.

Both games are designed around those limitations in mind and work perfect, the difference is that gamers these days want to play with the universal AAA controls we almost have now and refuse to adapt to less familiar control schemes even if they work perfect within the context and design of the game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For those concerned, the framerate is generally solid and there's really no drops to speak of. The stalling that DF is catching occurs only when you run from one screen to the other, the game stops for several milliseconds to go to the next prerendered area. Its something that has been apart of the first 3 resident evils+code veronica from the beginning and nothing to be worried about.

MMaRsu

Banned
Purchased on PS4 and downloading. Thought I wouldnt buy this but its been ages since I played REmake and Id like to run through it again. 20 dollars isnt that much anyway and Ill gladly help Capcom if it means them understanding good business decisions.

Bumhead

Banned
Polygon finally put up their 7/10 review.

That's a weird review.

Written content is almost entirely complimentary, other than with regards to the save system, which even then he acknowledges is necessary for the tension. Sounds like the reviewer personally enjoyed it without wanting to unanimously recommend it incase younger players might not "get it".

The way the review is worded I think you can add at least 1 point to that score if you've ever played RE before, or any game released prior to 2004 for that matter.

Might as well drop our review - The Outerhaven 8.5/10.

All in all, Resident Evil HD Remaster is a fun romp back into the survival horror genre of years gone and thankfully a clear example of what can be done to an aged title if enough dedication and effort is put forward. This is the best version of Resident Evil to date despite the zooming issues or the camera angles, all of which you’ll forget about as your fighting for dear life. For asking price of $19.99, Resident Evil HD Remaster provides just enough content in the form unlocking costumes and special weapons, additional upgrades, modes and challenges that I can safely recommend this title to either horror survival vets or for anyone who’s just starting out on them. Especially if you've never played the remake on the Gamecube or Wii.

Wow, I'm really taken aback by these scores. I thought for sure this would be a disappointing, half-assed cash-in. This is on my radar now. I'll probably be getting this on PS4 at some point.

That's a weird review.

Written content is almost entirely complimentary, other than with regards to the save system, which even then he acknowledges is necessary for the tension. Sounds like the reviewer personally enjoyed it without wanting to unanimously recommend it incase younger players might not "get it".

The way the review is worded I think you can add at least 1 point to that score if you've ever played RE before, or any game released prior to 2004 for that matter.

Well, always remember with Polygon, the reviewer doesn't assign the score. They write the review, then sit down with Gies and crew and decide on a score, based on the written text, as a group... It's crazy...

So people that never played the game being reviewed, have input on what the review score should be, all based on reading the reviewers text...

I started reading the IGN but my blood started boiling by the time I reached the second sentence:

IGN said:
As I creep though the familiar-yet-eerie corridors of Resident Evil, I can't help but feel terrified of Crimson Heads. Even 19 years after I first encountered them, it's genuinely frightening every time they spring back to life to try to tear a hole in my esophagus, but they're also a great example of why Resident Evil still holds up.

BashNasty

I started reading the IGN but my blood started boiling by the time I reached the second sentence:

Is it boiling because crimson heads were an addition in the REmake (I'm pretty sure they were, right?). It's a pretty easy mistake to make, so I wouldn't let it bother you.

Is it boiling because crimson heads were an addition in the REmake (I'm pretty sure they were, right?). It's a pretty easy mistake to make, so I wouldn't let it bother you.

yea Crimson Heads were made up for Remake in 2002 and were NOT in any of the ps1 games. This guy is trying to act like he is one of the true fans or something and I'm getting tired of phonies and idiots writing game reviews.

Inuhanyou

Newbies would be shocked to know just how much content the REmake actually added. The original game was actually pretty short,they added several huge parts like going down to the basement and finding the first sample in the coffin as well as visiting the daughter of the owner of the mansion and having to kill her fucked up ass.

thequestion

This game is still great after all these years. This and RE4 are the best in survival horror. Now remake RE2!

Dammit Capcom.

Newbies would be shocked to know just how much content the REmake actually added. The original game was actually pretty short,they added several huge parts like going down to the basement and finding the first sample in the coffin as well as visiting the daughter of the owner of the mansion and having to kill her fucked up ass.

I actually don't like the addition of the Lisa Storyline. On one hand, she is a scary surprise but on the other hand she kind of messes up the story and the idea of an unkillable enemy in the game kind of bothers me.

Inuhanyou

^ Gamestop? Gamespot lol

I actually don't like the addition of the Lisa Storyline. On one hand, she is a scary surprise but on the other hand she kind of messes up the story and the idea of an unkillable enemy in the game kind of bothers me.

Well that's just cause she's a damn monster...it was a nasty surprise i'll say that

More unmarked spoilers, please. There might be some surprises left that people who haven't played this yet don't know.

Top Bottom