• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 |OT| Yeah, but it's only $25

To be honest, I would prefer new content for RE6. >_>
I really don't like how grindy Raid mode in REV2 is.

AMEN! Been wanting new content for RE6 forever but nothing is coming. That game is done. I guess they're gonna release more things for REV2 since it's better received and they seem to be happy with sales.

I just don't like how easy Raid in REV2 is :( I'm so disappointed in it honestly. Don't think any new character or costumes will make up for it for me at this point. The design for it just sucks. There's a new "super-hard" difficulty with 120 enemies, it's being introduced in the Super Raid Festival and in the upcoming Re.net Event but I doubt it's gonna make a difference. The problem with Raid are all the OP skills (that you can also inherit) and lack of aggressive, the amount and type of enemies... they should've imported more enemies from other games.

FLAguy954

AMEN! Been wanting new content for RE6 forever but nothing is coming. That game is done. I guess they're gonna release more things for REV2 since it's better received and they seem to be happy with sales.

I just don't like how easy Raid in REV2 is :( I'm so disappointed in it honestly. Don't think any new character or costumes will make up for it for me at this point. The design for it just sucks. There's a new "super-hard" difficulty with 120 enemies, it's being introduced in the Super Raid Festival and in the upcoming Re.net Event but I doubt it's gonna make a difference. The problem with Raid are all the OP skills (that you can also inherit) and lack of aggressive, the amount and type of enemies... they should've imported more enemies from other games.

I agree. They should of added Super Salvadors, those shielded enemies from Revelations 1, and Garradors just to balance out the amount of skills one could inherit.

Doesnt seem like the last part is translated correctly? Are we getting new characters?

I don't know what that means but oh well, super excited anyway!!

^ Yeah I love scarmigliones! Should have brought them back instead of farfarellos. Literally the worst enemy (without a katana at least).

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
did this game get online co-op update for story mode ?

I doubt it, but it would be interesting if it did.

Also, am I the only one that thinks melee in the Raid mode of this game is absolutely useless for the most part? Every time there is more than one enemy standing in front of you, and you proceed to melee one of them, there's a very good chance you'll get grabbed or hit by the other one without ANY way to dodge or avoid the attack. It's like after finishing a melee the game makes you completely vulnerable for a second. It's pretty unfair.

I doubt it, but it would be interesting if it did.

Also, am I the only one that thinks melee in the Raid mode of this game is absolutely useless for the most part? Every time there is more than one enemy standing in front of you, and you proceed to melee one of them, there's a very good chance you'll get grabbed or hit by the other one without ANY way to dodge or avoid the attack. It's like after finishing a melee the game makes you completely vulnerable for a second. It's pretty unfair.

A way to avoid that is to have the charge melee and wait for the to approach you while you're charging and you'll hit both of them or all of them near you.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
A way to avoid that is to have the charge melee and wait for the to approach you while you're charging and you'll hit both of them or all of them near you.

yeah but that requires you using up one of your skill slots with the charge melee skill, which i don't always like to use. You should be able to avoid it with just the normal melee attack.

I have only the last episode left but yeah I echo the general opinion regarding the game.

It's really really good. Very fun to play and the story and characters are well done for this kind of game. I'm really surprised and hope that we will see similar releases. With hindsight the pre-release negativity was totally blown out of proportion and just shows how fed up a lot of people were with RE6. Unfairly so since Rev2 is actually great.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I rented from redbox. I just got to some dude going to an island in a boat with a creepy kid. Edit: Barry's campaign I guess.

I like the game so far, but not knowing what you can interact with in game has been really annoying.

I rented from redbox. I just got to some dude going to an island in a boat with a creepy kid. Edit: Barry's campaign I guess.

I like the game so far, but not knowing what you can interact with in game has been really annoying.

care to elaborate? items like ammo and herbs kind of stick out with their colors. documents to read flash on screen.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
care to elaborate? items like ammo and herbs kind of stick out with their colors. documents to read flash on screen.
Like... Objects to progress in game. With Barry I came across a random crate to pick up that I needed to hump. The flamethrower. Everything you need to interact with in the world. In most games you with with a glow or a button icon. The herbs, ammo, and documents all stick out well. I don't really want to hump every square inch of the game for everything else. Other than that, I like the game a lot.

The girl just said "there's a hole here". Maybe if they called other things out. I saw the obvious hole.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Whelp, got through Code Red today and found two guns worth keeping. Or maybe one and a half, depending on how you measure a level 100 hydra. I like my 95 drake better.

Still up for co-op on PS4, all levels welcome. I enjoy helping new players. Hit me up if you want to play, GAF

ArjanN

Like... Objects to progress in game. With Barry I came across a random crate to pick up that I needed to hump. The flamethrower. Everything you need to interact with in the world. In most games you with with a glow or a button icon. The herbs, ammo, and documents all stick out well. I don't really want to hump every square inch of the game for everything else. Other than that, I like the game a lot.

The girl just said "there's a hole here". Maybe if they called other things out. I saw the obvious hole.

IMO the stuff you can interact with was all very obvious. And the characters do call out the solution almost every time if you take too long.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
IMO the stuff you can interact with was all very obvious. And the characters do call out the solution almost every time if you take too long.
I'm in chapter 2 with a map that marked the battery and fuel. That may have been my issue earlier. It's more immersive without the minimap, but I don't have time to hump every inch of the map.

isamu

Whelp, got through Code Red today and found two guns worth keeping. Or maybe one and a half, depending on how you measure a level 100 hydra. I like my 95 drake better.

Still up for co-op on PS4, all levels welcome. I enjoy helping new players. Hit me up if you want to play, GAF

How much tougher did you find the Code Red levels over the Very Hard ones?

kamineko

How much tougher did you find the Code Red levels over the Very Hard ones?

They weren't very tough before the online patch.

Now, if you play at recommended level it can get kind of ugly. You're way underleveled and everything can soak tons of damage. Much easier with two people now, but it's still totally doable solo.

But definitely harder than VH.

EDIT: & messing around today farming loot (playing at level 100 instead of 90) I found a level 97 drake and a level 98 serpent. They're awesome... but level 98, really?

Finally got Hunk to Level 100. Good to know I still get skill points even after hitting max level. Still have to finish up Gauntlet Very Hard and Code Red so I'll still be using Hunk for the time being

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They weren't very tough before the online patch.

Now, if you play at recommended level it can get kind of ugly. You're way underleveled and everything can soak tons of damage. Much easier with two people now, but it's still totally doable solo.

But definitely harder than VH.

EDIT: & messing around today farming loot (playing at level 100 instead of 90) I found a level 97 drake and a level 98 serpent. They're awesome... but level 98, really?

Far as I can tell, from a serious bit of grinding, you cannot get lvl 100 named weapons from drops.

I guess these will only come from events. :/

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Haha, really? What bullshit is that

Yeah I have pretty much every named weapon in the game I imagine. They are all between 96-98 or thereabout.

I have a lvl 100 version of just about every vanilla weapon. And a bunch of duplicates. Though I've never seen a lvl 100 Chicago Typewriter, Muramasa, Drake, AMR, etc....

These just do not drop in code red. One reward atm in a public event is a lvl 100 Overlord... but it only goes to the winner of the event! lol we will never see these, since all events are plagued with cheaters.

Honestly it's stupid. The higher you get into the game, you realize, what's even the point? The endgame is a huge mess. They didn't put any thought into it. Difficulty isn't there... the grind makes no sense. You can tell they didn't have a clue, based on their emergency band-aid they patched into raid of lowering the req level to 90 and making enemies 105. They have no idea how to balance any of it. And their cheater-infested grind-fest events just prove they had no plan.

I really fucking hope they have a plan for RE7. Cause Rev2 is a mess. imo.

kamineko

Yeah I have pretty much every named weapon in the game I imagine. They are all between 96-98 or thereabout.

I have a lvl 100 version of just about every vanilla weapon. And a bunch of duplicates. Though I've never seen a lvl 100 Chicago Typewriter, Muramasa, Drake, AMR, etc....

These just do not drop in code red. One reward atm in a public event is a lvl 100 Overlord... but it only goes to the winner of the event! lol we will never see these, since all events are plagued with cheaters.

Honestly it's stupid. The higher you get into the game, you realize, what's even the point? The endgame is a huge mess. They didn't put any thought into it. Difficulty isn't there... the grind makes no sense. You can tell they didn't have a clue, based on their emergency band-aid they patched into raid of lowering the req level to 90 and making enemies 105. They have no idea how to balance any of it. And their cheater-infested grind-fest events just prove they had no plan.

I really fucking hope they have a plan for RE7. Cause Rev2 is a mess. imo.

Yeah, the loot is a bummer. The parts are a bummer, too. I still haven't found a burst 2, during one session (a complete gauntlet) in CR, I found four, fucking four Rapid Fire 8s. I mean, two of them were in the same level. The event rewards are only good, as you say, at the top tier. The mid-tier stuff seems like random crap they put in there for the lulz. I saw a Long Range 6 prize in there. That's not even a keeper. & the cheating is disgusting, if they can't control it, they should revisit their prize distribution.

& I get the criticism, too. I still like it, because it's easy to pick up and put down. For 15 minutes I can be uglyJill & blow shit up. That'll always have some appeal to me, but from a more broad perspective, the difficulty, rewards, the whole package just doesn't come together well.

& lol, how on earth is there no Ghost Ship equivalent? Crazy.

Haha, still in spite of everything, I played some today already and I'm sure I'll play more later. I'm kind of just chilling til Witcher 3 and besides, I wanna get my second (Moira) to level 100 (for reasons even I don't understand)

Seyavesh

Far as I can tell, from a serious bit of grinding, you cannot get lvl 100 named weapons from drops.

I guess these will only come from events. :/

i have a level 100 zatsyev or whatever it's called

although i think the raid mode has serious problems also related to corner-cutting budget wise too

Kssio_Aug

At least some of you are actually playing it in co-op. The worse is the XB1 owners scenario that still awaits the online co-op patch. :(

Edit:
Just saw on Gamefaqs, it seems Capcom said theyre still working at it and gonna give 20.000 RE points for compensation. Good to hear something.

At least some of you are actually playing it in co-op. The worse is the XB1 owners scenario that still awaits the online co-op patch. :(

Edit:
Just saw on Gamefaqs, it seems Capcom said theyre still working at it and gonna give 20.000 RE points for compensation. Good to hear something.

LOL? 20k RE points? You can't do ANYTHING with those.

Astral Dog

Played this on PS3 and holy shit it's completely unplayable. The framerate is atrocious.

Its not nplayable, but something is very wrong with the loading times, there are certain parts, where the game just stops to load, it seems unoptimized. its more like temporal drops to load.

umm, does anybody know when the new director interview will be posted?
cant wait,

Nerrel

I'm really wishing the game had a better sense of purpose in raid mode, because it really does feel pointless to keep playing after clearing code red. It's still addicting and I find myself grinding to get all my guns to level 100, but there's really no point. It takes forever to collect good weapons and there aren't any maps to use them on that I haven't cleared a few times over by now.

The thought that Capcom expected players to get level 100 weapons legitimately is absurd, because even just farming the chests over and over- opening them all quickly and quitting when there's nothing good- takes for-fucking-ever.

& lol, how on earth is there no Ghost Ship equivalent? Crazy.

Because they barely designed any new raid courses for this game at all. The majority were just pulled straight out of RE6.

Thanks. I don't know if I want to replay it or not. I need to return this to redbox in 3 hours and I have the bonus episodes to do. lol.

The good ending is much better than the bad. The bonus episodes are alright but not required. For the Moira bonus episode "The Struggle" it's possible to get an actual game over and have to start from the beginning again.

Astral Dog

Thanks. I don't know if I want to replay it or not. I need to return this to redbox in 3 hours and I have the bonus episodes to do. lol.

The good ending is good but may not be worth to play episode 3 over again. it has a nice gameplay sequence but you can watch on youtube.

Extra episodes are interesting, nothing extraordinary but have some nice story sequences and different gameplay, the Natalia one makes the ending more clear too.

Renae

Hello, I have some questions for you :
- Can I appreciate the game even if I'm a RE beginner ?

- Is the story good ?

- Is the game fascinating or boring ?

- Is the story good ?

Yes.
Yes.
Fascinating is a weird choice of words lol, let's just say it's awesome.

I wish I could use pirate Jill in this.

News Bot

Banned
I just received answers from CAPCOM and have posted up our story interview with director Yasuhiro Anpo. Spoilers within.

I have to be honest, I'm disappointed. Not only are most of the answers speculation (how does the director not have access to the scenario!?) but Anpo is actually wrong in a few parts and contradicts established information. This is why we focus on trying to interview the writers directly for story questions.

- Is the story good ?

Yes, yes, and fascinating.

kamineko

- Is the story good ?

1) yes. There are some great shout-outs to older games, but you can get by without previous experience. If you ever do have questions, projectumbrella.net can answer them quickly

2) the consensus is that the story & gameplay are really good. Esp for a budget title. Raid has come up short for reasons discussed over the past couple of pages.

I think the story is fantastic. There's a post I'll try to find & update this at that time.

EDIT: This is a good post to look at GAF Loves REV2

Renae

Thanks for your responses, and yes i knew the word "fascinating" was weird, i'm french sorry ^^

Last question, is the game a true survival horror or a survival action like TLOU ?

kamineko

Thanks for your responses, and yes i knew the word "fascinating" was weird, i'm french sorry ^^

Last question, is the game a true survival horror or a survival action like TLOU ?

It's really going for a very different vibe from TLOU. REV2 is pulpy (in an awesome way), while TLOU is more.... grounded (lol).

Survival Horror has variable definitions, so I kind of avoid the term nowadays. You definitely aren't expected to kill everything, sometimes running is a good option. There are light puzzle elements. The first blind playthrough supplies can get tight, but on subsequent runs it turns out there is plenty of stuff. This is consistent with the early RE games. I will say that, as a fan of the whole series, I enjoyed the campaign of REV2 more than anything since RE4.

Also, like the OT title says, "It's only 25 dollars." The digital price, for me at least, is an insane value.

Astral Dog

I just received answers from CAPCOM and have posted up our story interview with director Yasuhiro Anpo. Spoilers within.

I have to be honest, I'm disappointed. Not only are most of the answers speculation (how does the director not have access to the scenario!?) but Anpo is actually wrong in a few parts and contradicts established information. This is why we focus on trying to interview the writers directly for story questions.

Yes, yes, and fascinating.

uh, thats a bit underwhelming, but there is some interesting info that can be considered canon
That Alex was sick before injecting the virus, her body reacted to it ans she got worse, although the files mention the "viruses" that were keeping her alive.
That Alex made some modifications to Natalia to make her stronger, it sounds weird because we never see Natalia displaying superhuman strenght on the game beyond her sensing ability.
Nothing about the relationship between Alex and Albert beyond that they were "rivals"

Finally, Neil responded differently to Uroboros, because, why? its the same as Wesker, so that means Neil adapted better to the virus, its an explanation, but whats so special about him? its not like Alex was surprised to see him like that..

So do you all agree RER1 Raid Mode is better now? :p

Cool interview. Just out of interest, which answers were contradictory? IMO, it's really not surprising that he answered vaguely in a few places - writers often have a few possibilities in mind for certain plot points that aren't spelled out so that in future installments they can choose the best one to fit the next plot. (Or alternatively, just to let their audience decide for themselves what happened.)

Mr_Zombie

So do you all agree RER1 Raid Mode is better now? :p

RER1 Raid Mode still has the problem of using RER1 enemies - and most of them sucked (well, technically and literally). Enemies from RER2 are at least more fun to play with... but are still less interesting than Ganados, Majini or zombies and J'avo from RE6. It is however better when it comes to character differences - when you play as different character you do feel they play differently, and are not the same character with different skin.

Yesterday I found that playing Raid levels with a character few levels below the recommended one is more interesting. At least you can feel the struggle and have to use tactics to defeat monsters.

However, I'm still baffled by how grind-oriented the Raid mode in Revelations 2 is. Completing a stage with full medallions set, even if you're below the recommended level, still doesn't give you enough points to fully level up. Getting to level 100 with all characters will sure become boring very quickly. :/

Top Bottom