• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Switch) will require microSDXC, 26GB.

Ridley327

I'm starting to wonder if there's actually a current technical limitation where the Switch itself can't support game cards bigger than it's internal storage For Reasons.

We already have one game that shipped on a 32GB card in DQH1&2, though it's noteworthy in that it's the only game thus far. It does point to it being a cost issue.

FyreWulff

We already have one game that shipped on a 32GB card in DQH1&2, though it's noteworthy in that it's the only game thus far. It does point to it being a cost issue.

Ah, wasn't aware we had a bigger card yet. Yeah, that's them optimizing cost then, they probably assume most of the sales will be digital.

Err...depending on which card you got you may not even have 26GB of actual space on that card. Might wanna check before buying this!

I did have more than 26GB but now I currently only have 25GB left. If I get this I just won't download Rev2 until I get a bigger card, which I am not in a hurry to do.

Probably a stupid question but can digital RER2 be launch without the physical RER1 inserted?

I think it's just a download code so yeah. It's also available as a separate purchase, you can get both separately digitally FYI.

I did have more than 26GB but now I currently only have 25GB left. If I get this I just won't download Rev2 until I get a bigger card, which I am not in a hurry to do.

You could also delete/archive whatever is on there but yeah if you're not in a hurry to buy this then you do you.

Ridley327

Probably a stupid question but can digital RER2 be launch without the physical RER1 inserted?

I would have to think so. They're just tossing in an eShop code with the package, and the games are being sold separately on the eShop to begin with. Though it is Capcom, who don't really deserve the benefit of the doubt, I can't imagine this ending up like COD:MWR.

KingBroly

Banned

This is why I fear an art style change for Metroid Prime 4. That and the potential framerate.

But I see Nintendo keeping a similar art style and charging $70 for it

M3d10n

I still dont get why the switch only comes with 21gb... my freaking phone has 256GB.. I mean come on. at least 64gb

Check the price difference between 32GB phones and 256GB ones. Going from 32GB to 64GB alone would hike the price by $10~$20.

pokéfan

Ahh, couple more games requiring SD card and my 128GB card might not hold enough at this rate, and I buy all my games physical, except digitals like Minecraft.

Phoenixus

Some developers really need to compress their games more. I admittedly speak out of ignorance on the matter since I know little of the process, but if Nintendo (and Shin-en for that matter) can do it so well why not others?

I would have to think so. They're just tossing in an eShop code with the package, and the games are being sold separately on the eShop to begin with. Though it is Capcom, who don't really deserve the benefit of the doubt, I can't imagine this ending up like COD:MWR.

I think it's just a download code so yeah. It's also available as a separate purchase, you can get both separately digitally FYI.

Oh god. Hopefully.

Doesn't that then beg the question of why would you go physical in the first place? Wont it be weird to have one game physical and one digital? I guess every space saved is important, and if RER2 is shown on the boxart then physical collectors will be happy regardless, but if it does work this way then I really think people should just go digital with this one.

Until costs for higher capacity cartridges go down I don't think there will be an alternative. I just went mostly digital and put in a 200 GB SD card so I'm not sweating these storage requirements. Seems like if we want our Switch ports then we'll have to accept that we need to buy larger capacity storage ourselves for the time being

Ridley327

Some developers really need to compress their games more. I admittedly speak out of ignorance on the matter since I know little of the process, but if Nintendo (and Shin-en for that matter) can do it so well why not others?

Nintendo's compression "magic" usually comes down to nothing more than making games that don't require super detailed textures, tons of VA and close-to-no FMV to begin with. There's really not that much of a mystery with how they're able to keep file sizes down.

Bazry

REV1 is 15.5GB on Wii U, so there has been some compression gone on to get it down to 13GB

Doesn't that then beg the question of why would you go physical in the first place? Wont it be weird to have one game physical and one digital? I guess every space saved is important, and if RER2 is shown on the boxart then physical collectors will be happy regardless, but if it does work this way then I really think people should just go digital with this one.

Meh I don't really care all that much. I buy physical when I can but I'm fine with digital games if that's the only option.

tkscz

You're happy that you had to pay even more money after spending $299 just to play a game?

This logic is absolutely absurd. Never should one have to buy additional storage when buying a physical game.

Except only one of the two games are physical, the other you have to download. And if you planned on downloading games to the switch, then buying the SD card is no more absurd than buying extra memory for anything else.

ggx2ac

The problem is that Capcom just cannot sell RE:R2 on its own 32GB for $20 and not lose money.

Exactly, that's what I was pointing out before for why they probably couldn't even compress both games onto one game card because the $40 retail price probably wouldn't be enough for the cost. (So instead they went for the 16GB RE:R game card and one download code.)

Meh I don't really care all that much. I buy physical when I can but I'm fine with digital games if that's the only option.

Maybe this will convince people to go digital completely (I also buy physical myself btw) when they realise they have to insert the cart every time to play RER1 but when it comes to RER2 they can just click it on the screen.

I don't really know for sure either, but I'm betting there are some game engines that are just a lot better optimized to compress file sizes than others. Like, most third parties have had no need to focus on filesize limitations due to there essentially being unlimited storage on PC/PS4/XB1 platforms, so the engines they developed for these platforms didn't prioritize file size compression.

That's just a theory anyway.

Yeah I don't know why anyone would want to go physical. Going digital is better for the publisher too, so maybe they just want to incentivize download purchases.

But at least offering a physical SKU has benefits when it comes to retail space and awareness.

Plum

Nintendo needs to get those 32gb card prices down, it really seems like the only sensible option to fix this that doesn't 1) require a price rise due to higher base storage or 2) require a complete change of plan for the console. Got no idea how, of course, but third parties making their own games smaller is a lost art so it's all on Nintendo to fix the issue.

...it is weird that Rev2 has to be so hugee when the Vita version was less than 3GB.

Expected.
I have a big micro sd so im fine and dont have anything against teh way this is being handled. But we def. need a way to save and backup our save games....via SD card or cloud saves.

I need to be able to delete a digital game and redownload it months/years later without loosing my save files.

Wait, this is not possible on Switch?????

What? Neither of the two options for Data Management delete the save data. Save data is entirely seperate to game files; under "Delete Software" it literally ays "Save data will not be deleted." Unless it's different for games on an SD card, but I don't see why that would be the case.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This hybrid approach just puts me off buying the game. So far I've managed without an SD card - although I know I'll need one sooner or later. Have Zelda and M+R physical, and MK and some other smaller games digital

I'd suggest Nintendo refusing to certify physical games that ship incomplete but then the publisher may simply castrate the physical version to fit anyway

M3d10n

Yeah, it would have been better if they found a way to make RER2 work as an "add-on content", so while you still would need to download it, the license would be tied to the cartridge instead of being a simple download code.

It's a very good point to say how much money would Capcom make if they had to resell an old game like RER2 for only $40, while paying more money for the 32GB card.

KingBroly

Banned
I cannot begin to follow the logic here.

Take the art style of Metroid Prime (in general). Bump that up to 720p/900p/1080p. What do you think the size of the game would be? I'd say it would push 20-25 gigs, therefore requiring a 32gb cart and a higher price tag because MANY developers are trying to avoid 32gb carts.

My other fear is that an art style change would occur because they don't want to run into that problem. I don't think too many Nintendo games are going to have size problems, but Metroid Prime 4 is one of them. I guess Xenoblade 2 is a better example given it's coming out sooner.

Bluth54

Almost as silly as buying a completely portable console and choosing to carry around a bunch of cartridges with it

I'm sure some people would consider spending the price of a game or more on a large micro-SD card and then buying digital games with no discount when they have 20% off physical games with Amazon Prime or the Best Buy GCC a little silly.

To each their own.

Except only one of the two games are physical, the other you have to download. And if you planned on downloading games to the switch, then buying the SD card is no more absurd than buying extra memory for anything else.

I think the problem is that people don't go in expecting this to happen, and then when it does they either feel ripped off or these games take a sales hit because of the requirements.

Maybe they really should have also released an official Switch bundle with the biggest SD card at the time (128gb?) at least then the people buying the Switch without this for the cheaper price will be more aware that an extra purchase might be necessary down the road.

Wamb0wneD

This is why I fear an art style change for Metroid Prime 4. That and the potential framerate.

But I see Nintendo keeping a similar art style and charging $70 for it

Please stop taking drugs. Or change your avatar back to the Metroid is dead one. They are going to charge 60-70 for it, yeah. Not sure what the hell the artstyle got to do with the pricing. What are you even talking about?

Take the art style of Metroid Prime (in general). Bump that up to 720p/900p/1080p. What do you think the size of the game would be? I'd say it would push 20-25 gigs, therefore requiring a 32gb cart and a higher price tag because MANY developers are trying to avoid 32gb carts.

My other fear is that an art style change would occur because they don't want to run into that problem. I don't think too many Nintendo games are going to have size problems, but Metroid Prime 4 is one of them. I guess Xenoblade 2 is a better example given it's coming out sooner.

Art style is not something you measure in gigabytes. You'd say it would be 20-25 gb. I'd say it will be 5. My reason for that? I pulled it out of my ass just like you did. Not even to mention that I don't see where Metroid Prime was that demanding while being at 1 gb, simply because of the loading solution they picked.

Its worth noting this is being released as a budget priced game so doesnt mean that a 32gb cart is too expensive for standard price releases although we are still to see one in the west so its possible it is

Wow you're overreacting. Just look at Xenoblade 2. It's going to be bigger than 16GB (it's a Nintendo game) and will cost $60. Why would Nintendo charge more for their own game?

K' Dash

Ok, it is time for a backup tool, I have a 64GB micro SD but I'm thinking about going with a 200GB one and have everything there.

tkscz

I think the problem is that people don't go in expecting this to happen, and then when it does they either feel ripped off or these games take a sales hit because of the requirements.

Maybe they really should have also released an official Switch bundle with the biggest SD card at the time (128gb?) at least then the people buying the Switch without this for the cheaper price will be more aware that an extra purchase might be necessary down the road.

PC gamging for as long as I have has prepared me for this.

I still dont get why the switch only comes with 21gb... my freaking phone has 256GB.. I mean come on. at least 64gb

This still bugs me when people say "MEH PHON HAS 256GB! Y NO SWITCH!?" How much is your phone without a contract? Most 256GB phones start from $400 and up. There are still a large group of people who feel the switch is too expensive at $300. Don't think raising the price for extra memory would work very well.

dearodie

Me too, but just 6 months in this situation is already a huge mess. So what, does this mean many third-party games will be digital only? Maybe with an empty packaging at retail? That's absurd.
That would be interesting, getting the packaged version of a game that is in fact a download code through GCU for 20% less than the digital code .....

LordKano

I don't think you have any clue as to what you're talking about.

M3d10n

Quite the opposite. It would have made more sense to avoid this need for a microSD with a dedicated physical release for Rev2.

Yeah, but Rev2 is priced at $20 and that's not enough to cover for a 32GB card, apparently. People need to remember that this isn't a brand new AAA game: it's a budged-priced re-release.

The only way to keep the game size small enough would be to use the X360 assets, which should fit in an 8GB card. Not sure if the backlash would be bigger or smaller than the digital-only one.

Top Bottom