• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Switch) will require microSDXC, 26GB.

Why wouldn't you? Nintendo pays the same prices for memory. They could perfectly afford to have 64gb of storage and the Switch would still be affordable.

Plenty of phones that are less than half the price of the Switch have 64GB
And we'd be having this exact same conversation right now, just with 128 GB instead of 64. "You could only fit 2 RE: R2 on the internal memory, Nintendo should have gone with 128!"

I'm going through the 100-150 bucks smartphone section of Amazon right now and literally not a single one has 64 GB of storage. Bullshit. There might indeed be some truly shitty ones that come with 64 GB, but certainly not "plenty".

Shiggy

Wrong.

Even there we're not sure, all we know is that the biggest game out for now uses a 32GB card.

It's the largest capacity that's available to publishers at this point. Might change in the future, which mostly depends on costs.

Edit: Not sure if it's even just costs. Can't find information on Macronix having 64GB mask rom chips in their portfolio.

Why wouldn't you? Nintendo pays the same prices for memory. They could perfectly afford to have 64gb of storage and the Switch would still be affordable.

Y'all honestly believe the memory in the phone is what is driving the price? And besides all that unlike phone companies Nintendo makes money from software so they can afford to subsidized the cost of more memory. Also an iPhone doesn't cost $800 to manufacture and distribute.

https://m.att.com/shopmobile/cellphones/iphone/apple-iphone-7.html

What am I paying for when the phone price jumps $650 to $750 from 32GB to 128GB?

Lol people get very defensive here when you just point out what is technically possible.
And wrongfully assume you are comparing an iPhone with a game console, what makes absolut sense..

I thought GAF is smarter than that.
This is just pointing out, that storage space will become the biggest issue for the Nintendo Switch and there would be a possible solution for that problem.
It would not be for free of course, but Nintendo needs a higher storage Sku for their hardcore fans.

128 GB is not that! expensive and still just 1 NAND chip.
Those customers can then add a 128 or 200GB SD card and should be fine for years...

Nintendo should make a deal with sandisk, to include a 64GB card with every switch. They must have a bunch of those things and Nintendo should be able to get them for cheap.

Asd202

Lol people get very defensive here when you just point out what is technically possible.
And wrongfully assume you are comparing an iPhone with a game console, what makes absolut sense..

This is just pointing out, that storage space will become the biggest issue for the Nintendo Switch and there would be a possible solution for that problem.
It would not be for free of course, but Nintendo needs a higher storage Sku for their hardcore fans.

Those customers can than add a 128 or 200GB SD card and should be fine for years...

I agree,

Don't look at the store page. Look at actual install size.

Steam wants 30GB if I want to install my Rev2 copy with all DLC. Switch is 4GB less, not 3GB more.

see above.

Cheers bub. Now it's making more sense. Do you have the deets on the first game as well?

So I'm forced to now go get and SDXC card since I want Rev 2. Ok.

You see, this is where Nintendo went wrong like I said before. They should have made a more expensive SKU available at the start. Fuck it. Make a Switch with 128gb memory and charge over $400 for it. You wouldn't have complained then.

Edit: Changed the file size because 256gb would have probably cost even more.

Cleve

Ugh, what a bummer. I can see they're stuck between a rock and a hard place (budget title with a large file size) so I'm not as annoyed as I am by the idea of $60 AAA games cheaping out on cart sizes.

Pachinko

This was always my number 1 worry with the switch not having something closer to 128GB on board. Modern games take up a lot of space ! But flash based storage is still pretty expensive per GB so here we are.

You see, this is where Nintendo went wrong like I said before. They should have made a more expensive SKU available at the start. Fuck it. Make a Switch with 256gb memory and charge over $400 for it. You wouldn't have complained then.

Over $400 is a risky investment on a console that was unproven with just one desirable game at launch.

Ridley327

It's the largest capacity that's available to publishers at this point. Might change in the future, which mostly depends on costs.

Edit: Not sure if it's even just costs. Can't find information on Macronix having 64GB mask rom chips in their portfolio.

I imagine that like previous Nintendo handhelds, when the situation changes to justify larger ROM chips for games, they will come. The DS was pretty famous for this, since it started out with games having a cap of 64MB and ended up with (as rarely used as it was) 512MB as the cap. And the cap on the 3DS was 8GB, which unless something changes in the next year or two, will wind up going entirely unused.

tkscz

Those customers can then add a 128 or 200GB SD card and should be fine for years...

GAF is also the place where most people were saying they don't want to pay more than $250 for the Switch. Even with the extra NAND chip, the price could jump $50 to $100 so that Nintendo can profit off the Switch.

You see, this is where Nintendo went wrong like I said before. They should have made a more expensive SKU available at the start. Fuck it. Make a Switch with 128gb memory and charge over $400 for it. You wouldn't have complained then.

Edit: Changed the file size because 256gb would have probably cost even more.
I'm fine with going to get an SDXC card. Don't want to give the impression that I'm not. I just wanted to wait for the time where I'd be forced to - which is now since I couldn't even download Mario + Rabbids right now if I wanted to.

I also notice the thread turned into a cryfest for those who think the Switch should have more internal memory. But why cry over spilled milk?

He wouldn't have bought it anyways. No one would have.

This. People were already saying "omg how will this weak $300 handheld compete with the libraries of PS4 and X1!"

Imagine this same handheld at $400. Plus Nintendo had to try to keep it cheaper for the general market. I mean Nintendo has to make a profit. Kimishima made that clear.

64 GB would've been nice, but how does that change third party devs from not spending extra money on the 32 GB card? Well it doesn't.

And now that you have 64 GB you can download a game and a half of a big third party title! Lol the complaints would've still been pouring in with 64 GB.

Ninman

The short term solution to the switch it will be external HDDs or SSDs support when docked, but you will still need a 64gb Sd.

Nintendo needs to make it more clear about SD cards. Bundle them, give them out on offers, put a leaflet inside the Switch with a voucher to get 20% off an SD card etc. If people know what they are getting into then it wouldn't be this bad.

Remember when Playstation/Gamecube required a memory card to save? Somehow everyone I knew had one. Heck, they had multiple. Games like FIFA took up a whole memory card depending on what you decided to save.

Shiggy

https://m.att.com/shopmobile/cellphones/iphone/apple-iphone-7.html

What am I paying for when the phone price jumps $650 to $750 from 32GB to 128GB?

A big part of that increase: additional profits for Apple.

Another source of change in cost comes from the increase in NAND flash memory in the iPhone line. For its three iPhone 7 models, Apple has doubled memory capacities to 32, 128 and 256 GB—up from the original 16, 64 and 128 GB in the iPhone 6S. While the cost difference for the base model—going from 16 to 32 GB—is minimal for Apple at only about $1 more, the difference is much greater for what is now the 256 GB model compared to the previous high-memory mark of 128 GB in the iPhone 6S. Here the cost difference in memory between the old and new model is closer to $8—a sizable variance.

http://blog.ihs.com/the-iphone-7-costs-more-to-make,-but-apple’s-margin-remains-high

Going from 16GB to 32GB -> 1$ more
Going from 128GB to 256GB -> 8$ more

ggx2ac

hope physical version has all on the card, if I ever buy this on switch will go physical if so

Check the link in the OP, it states clearly:

Note: The retail product includes a game card of Resident Evil Revelations and a download code for Resident Evil Revelations 2. Both products are individually available as digital downloads.

But remember it is $40 for that, not $60.

We probably got the same card from the same sale but I am starting to be afraid that it will fill really fast..... Revelations will be 39gb together and who knows how much skyrim, odyssey and xenoblade 2 will be, I am starting to think I should had gone with a bigger card.

I've actually gotten into the habit of archiving games I've played and won't play for a while, so I'll probably do that at least with Rev1 when I'm done with it. I also can't imagine Odyssey will be that large, given most Nintendo games aren't- especially Mario games.

No idea about Skyrim though- the 2011 version wasn't too big on PC but I dunno about the SE.

I mean eventually either consumers will accept the practice or they will avoid games with massive download sizes. Seems they are doing this in respinse to Switch tax though.

Bazry

Nintendo needs to make it more clear about SD cards. Bundle them, give them out on offers, put a leaflet inside the Switch with a voucher to get 20% off an SD card etc. If people know what they are getting into then it wouldn't be this bad.

Remember when Playstation/Gamecube required a memory card to save? Somehow everyone I knew had one. Heck, they had multiple. Games like FIFA took up a whole memory card depending on what you decided to save.

They've got these coming out

large.jpg

Jawmuncher

I'll wait. Not really looking to fill my card with a low tier RE game I have 3 different copies of already. Was really hoping they'd do a physics reease in Japan at least. Guess I gotta wait until bigger cards on retail games are standard

Ridley327

So I guess no external drive support at the moment?

No, and I'm not sure if there's a real workaround for what happens when you undock the Switch while it's attached to a HDD. I know Nintendo said that they were looking into it, but that seems like the least enviable problem to have to figure out.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I only just brought a 32GB micro SD card thinking that it would last me for a while and then this news come along. :|

It isn't a big problem for now as I can skip it for now and get it when I buy a bigger micro SD Card.

I still dont get why the switch only comes with 21gb... my freaking phone has 256GB.. I mean come on. at least 64gb

Because it would bump up the cost of the Switch.

Ninten'doh.

Thankfully the Switch doesn't need proprietary memory cards anyways.

Unlike a certain other handheld.

Did Vita fans get upset when Sony did this with the Sly Cooper Collection or when SE did it with the Final Fantasy X Collection? Genuinely curious.

I mean, it's unfortunate but this was bound to happen.

I was a bit annoyed but mostly because Vita memory cards were freaking expensive for no good reason.

It's the reason why I stopped buying games for the Vita.

Harmen

I think Capcom should've kept the episodes available for seperate downloads to prevent this.

This is absolutely a problem of the Switch, but the truth also is that developers will have to work around that to make their product appealing. Consumers having to buy additional cards doesn't help. Especially when more digital only games arrive, the costs will ramp up quickly for the consumer. For example, a 32 gb micro sd is cheap, but won't hold a lot more than just Revalations 2 (hell, it won't hold 1+2 together).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
my 128Gb DS card bought on sale at 28$ before Switch launch has been the greatest videogame purchase ever!

Ridley327

I think Capcom should've kept the episodes available for seperate downloads to prevent this.

This is absolutely a problem of the Switch, but the truth also is that developers will have to work around that to make their product appealing. Consumers having to buy additional cards doesn't help. Especially when more digital only games arrive, the costs will ramp up quickly for the consumer. For example, a 32 gb micro sd is cheap, but won't hold a lot more than just Revalations 2 (hell, it won't hold 1+2 together).

How does that actually help out with RER2 if the final size winds up being the same? Considering the game has an actual branching path for its ending, saying "just delete and re-download as you see fit" is not a solution at all.

No, and I'm not sure if there's a real workaround for what happens when you undock the Switch while it's attached to a HDD. I know Nintendo said that they were looking into it, but that seems like the least enviable problem to have to figure out.

They can just have it connect as a fridge storage, rather than let you play games off of the HDD. Make the Switch and TV display some big red warning while the game is copying over from the HDD to the SD card or wherever.

That wouldn't solve the problem of needing an SD card of course but it would at least let you get by with a smaller one.

They are available separately. 2 is the one that is too large to fit on a game card (without it being too expensive for the publisher apparently), 1 is getting a physical release.

JP

I do understand why Nintendo and others don't do it but I do wish that on larger hardware like this the manufacturer of the hardware would include more than one miniSD card slot. It would at least reduce the cost of expanding to larger storage by allowing people to just add new cards when they wish.

Obviously, you can swap miniSD cards whenever you want but that's anywhere near as convenient as being able to just add a second or third card when you want to. It's not as if it's going to be an issue of space because it's not a pocket device and some pocket devices do include a second miniSD slot.

Top Bottom