• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Switch) will require microSDXC, 26GB.

FyreWulff

I do understand why Nintendo and others don't do it but I do wish that on larger hardware like this the manufacturer of the hardware would include more than one miniSD card slot. It would at least reduce the cost of expanding to larger storage by allowing people to just add new cards when they wish.

Obviously, you can swap miniSD cards whenever you want but that's anywhere near as convenient as being able to just add a second or third card when you want to. It's not as if it's going to be an issue of space because it's not a pocket device and some pocket devices do include a second miniSD slot.

double SD card slots are rare as either you'll have to halve the bandwidth (which is already relatively low for SDcards) or put two separate disk controllers in the device. They're mostly only on high end cameras as a failsafe system for taking pictures.

Dre3001

This is the 2nd instance of a third party going with digital option since the price of the game on a larger cart would be too much.

First instance was NBA 2k18 which is digital only at launch with the physical release a month later.

I'm hoping this isn't a deterrent for developers who want to make larger games for the Switch.

I think down the road instead of a game bundle with the system, Nintendo should opt for maybe a 64 or 128 gb memory card included with system.

I got a 200GB card thinking it would be enough but too many hits like this would make me have to upgrade. Hopefully Nintendo can get some 64GB cartridges out soon. Nintendo compresses the shit out of their own games but much of the industry has ballooned on that front.

You guys think this is bad? LA Noire is a 30+GB game...I think around 34GB.

Edit - It appears to be a lot smaller on Steam (either 13GB or 16GB, I'm seeing conflicting reports), so maybe this won't be an issue after all.

Edit 2 - But that file size might not include the DLC, which is substantial in size, so who knows? lol

Basically, I hope they're able to cram the entire game on a cartridge.

MUnited83

For you.
https://m.att.com/shopmobile/cellphones/iphone/apple-iphone-7.html

What am I paying for when the phone price jumps $650 to $750 from 32GB to 128GB?

You're not paying for the memory cost, I can tell you that. Not sure why are you even trying to make a point using one of the most ridiculously overpriced phones in the market either.

And we'd be having this exact same conversation right now, just with 128 GB instead of 64. "You could only fit 2 RE: R2 on the internal memory, Nintendo should have gone with 128!"

I'm going through the 100-150 bucks smartphone section of Amazon right now and literally not a single one has 64 GB of storage. Bullshit. There might indeed be some truly shitty ones that come with 64 GB, but certainly not "plenty".
There are plenty of them. Look somewhere that isn't Amazon. Plenty of manufacturers today have models with 64GB for that price.

FyreWulff

I got a 200GB card thinking it would be enough but too many hits like this would make me have to upgrade. Hopefully Nintendo can get some 64GB cartridges out soon. Nintendo compresses the shit out of their own games but much of the industry has ballooned on that front.

welcome to the pain on Xbox One/ PS4. You can hold maybe 10 games at best on the base hardware, but more like 5 or 6 these days.

I already had to buy an external for my One.

not for the first time, btw

41uk9BQoEdL._QL40_SX400_.jpg

Didn't the 3DS use to come with a 4GB microSD?

Dre3001

welcome to the pain on Xbox One/ PS4. You can hold maybe 10 games at best on the base hardware, but more like 5 or 6 these days.

I already had to buy an external for my One.

Yup, some games are ridiculous in terms of size.

One example, Halo 5, ballooned since launch of around 40gb and is 100gb today after all the updates.

Oregano

I'd be pretty surprised if its much smaller in size.

Ok, so just the size of 3 DVDs + all the DLC lol

It's gonna' be a big file, regardless. I'd expect extra storage space will be required.

Wait was it multiple discs?

In that case it won't make much difference!

conpfreak

I think releases like this would be a lot easier to handle if consumers and companies embraced digital more instead of insisting on physical media for situation where it doesn't make sense. I get that digital purchases are too restricting and that you don't actually "own" your game the same way you do with physical media, but we end up with solutions like this that rub people the wrong way.

I think that Nintendo should start pushing consumers to buy microSD cards and make it clear that the internal memory isn't meant to store larger games. Back in the memory card days, consumers understood that they weren't going to be able to save their game if they didn't have one.

I remain critical that third parties aren't putting enough effort to compress their games well enough though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
There won't be one. Think about it, makes no sense with what this system is.

Non-existent: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...with-my-Nintendo-Switch-console--1207757.html

Theoretically, the Switch supports up to 2TB of SD card storage, but, you know, good luck with that.

This is objectively stupid . I'm not talking about handheld mode but there should be an option to connect a Hard Drive to the dock and transfer to the SD. Like you could do with the Wii U (I.E. transfer from the Internal Memory to the External HD)

ggx2ac

This is objectively stupid . I'm not talking about handheld mode but there should be an option to connect a Hard Drive to the dock and transfer to the SD. Like you could do with the Wii U (I.E. transfer from the Internal Memory to the External HD)

Me and others before have suggested a fridge.

They've done it with Wii U where they'll encrypt your external HDD.

So let us use an external HDD connected to the dock to store games we don't use since it will be easier to 'Switch' around the games from HDD to Switch than having to redownload games from the eShop.

So let us use an external HDD connected to the dock to store games we don't use since it will be easier to 'Switch' around than having to redownload games from the eShop.

You should be able to back up you games on a computer right?

That's my plan. Just buy a 128gb card and just move the files around as needed.

So let us use an external HDD connected to the dock to store games we don't use since it will be easier to 'Switch' around the games from HDD to Switch than having to redownload games from the eShop.

That'd be a great option to have.

JP

double SD card slots are rare as either you'll have to halve the bandwidth (which is already relatively low for SDcards) or put two separate disk controllers in the device. They're mostly only on high end cameras as a failsafe system for taking pictures.
They're certainly in the minority if you're comparing all devices that use miniSD cards but they are certainly becoming more common now with decent portable digital music players starting to include.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised be at all surprised many devices actually moving away from external memory cards altogether and onto expanded internal memory, apart from on really cheap devices.

Ridley327

3 DVD's is about ~26GB. Remove some data redundancy and we are looking at a 20ish GB game IMHO.
I don't doubt that it could be made a bit smaller, but because the major tech for the game is literally streaming FMVs, there's not a lot you're going to be able to do there without severely compromising the quality. The FMV is already noticeably compressed as it is.

fahr

I still dont get why the switch only comes with 21gb... my freaking phone has 256GB.. I mean come on. at least 64gb

I love how people always make smartphone comparisons like the smartphone is somehow an example of the low end of things. A smartphone with 128 gb of storage usually sells for around 600-700 dollars or more.

Glad I'm only buying first party and that they manage to keep their games rather small.
Internal memory should carry me far into 2018 at least.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

The problem with that its doing seamlessly. The core would probably understand why they need to wait several minutes (depending on the quality of your SD card) for the game to be transfered to the main memory, but will everyone? How do you that easily? It would be like the Wii, where It needed to copy all the WiiWare games from the SD to the internal memory every time you need to launch it, just much slower, and it would be a PR disaster IMHO.

They are better off waiting for the mSD tech to improve.

Turrican3

I'm not talking about handheld mode but there should be an option to connect a Hard Drive to the dock and transfer to the SD. Like you could do with the Wii U (I.E. transfer from the Internal Memory to the External HD)
But the problem is exactly that you can remove the Switch from the dock at will.

Definitely a big difference (and probably a big technical headache too, but don't quote me on that) compared to the WiiU. :-\

you know, I would honestly prefer a slight quality drop in textures and stuff so the game would be smaller instead of having to own an sd card, which I do, but only a 32GB.

Or like, the game on it's own cart.

Oh no please! Let's push the system to it's limits. I want to see these games shine.

Instro

I love how people always make smartphone comparisons like the smartphone is somehow an example of the low end of things. A smartphone with 128 gb of storage usually sells for around 600-700 dollars or more.

There are phones in the $500 or less range with that size of internal memory I believe, but it's fair to say that phones have a much larger markup than a game console. Having said that, I don't think internal storage needed to be the answer anyway, the Switch uses SD cards, so Nintendo could have packaged the device with a smallish one for no/minimal cost.

You could do that with 3DS but I don't know why they're not doing it with Switch.

Technically they can also do what I suggested since they are worried about people editing save data.

Maybe it's coming. Still though with switch you cant just copy a game off your sd card onto your computer?

The LA Noire Complete Edition on PC is a 13.9GB download on Steam.

Really? That 30+GB size must be the PS3 version then.

Heck, that makes me feel better about this edition.

Edit: Or does the DLC require a separate download once the standard game is installed?

Possibly, but I can't imagine that'd make it add up to over 30 GB. Researching a bit, some are saying 13GB total and others are saying 16GB, but either way, that's much better.

Top Bottom