• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Switch) will require microSDXC, 26GB.

ggx2ac

Maybe it's coming. Still though with switch you cant just copy a game off your sd card onto your computer?

I don't know because I never really checked since people were more concerned about backing up save files rather than backing up game files. (And we can't back up save files since it can't get transferred to the SD card.)

Shiggy

Really? That 30+GB size must be the PS3 version then.

Heck, that makes me feel better about this edition.

Possibly, but I can't imagine that'd make it add up to over 30 GB.

I can't redownload LA Noire right now as I'm using a Mac, but it could be that the DLC is a separate download. On PS3 the size of the DLC cases was around 15.5GB, which brings the total to around your 30GB number.

I can't redownload LA Noire right now as I'm using a Mac, but it could be that the DLC is a separate download. On PS3 the size of the DLC cases was around 15.5GB, which brings the total to around your 30GB number.

Oh wow. I knew the DLC was large, but not that large. That would make sense.

You're happy that you had to pay even more money after spending $299 just to play a game?

This logic is absolutely absurd. Never should one have to buy additional storage when buying a physical game.

no, he's happy that he already has a card that can fit the game, as well as any other game he plans to buy digitally. Because that's why he bought a big SD card. To play a lot of video games.

What

welcome to the pain on Xbox One/ PS4. You can hold maybe 10 games at best on the base hardware, but more like 5 or 6 these days.

I already had to buy an external for my One.
I have a PS4 so I've felt that pain before. I just had a little hope that Nintendo managed to avoid it. This problem could very well disappear with bigger cartridges if they are affordable for third parties.

TheMoon

Really? That 30+GB size must be the PS3 version then.

Heck, that makes me feel better about this edition.

Possibly, but I can't imagine that'd make it add up to over 30 GB. Researching a bit, some are saying 13GB total and others are saying 16GB, but either way, that's much better.

Steam asks for a little over 13GB when you install the complete thing, DLC included.

How did localizations work with this game? Did they voice them? Maybe that's it?

shiyrley

Banned
So when I buy this physical game it will eat up 26 GB of my 128 GB microSD card on its own. Ouch.

If the eventual revision of the Switch offers a 64 GB option I will go for that one. The more space the better.

TheMoon

So when I buy this physical game it will eat up 26 GB of my 128 GB microSD card on its own. Ouch.

If the eventual revision of the Switch offers a 64 GB option I will go for that one. The more space the better.

The physical game will eat up nothing. :) The extra game bundled with it will.

Steam asks for a little over 13GB when you install the complete thing, DLC included.

How did localizations work with this game? Did they voice them? Maybe that's it?

I'm not sure. I do know the Complete Edition is around 30GB on PS3, so I'm not sure what's going on. If the PC version is really 13GB with the DLC included, that's impressive and gives me hope that the Switch version may actually include the entire game on a cartridge. I edited my original post on the subject to clarify this, as to hopefully not confuse anyone.

shiyrley

Banned
The physical game will eat up nothing. :) The extra game bundled with it will.
?
It's not "extra", I'm paying for it, otherwise it would be 20€, not 40. What are the point of these semantics. I'm just worried more games will do stuff like this. (NBA 2k18...)

ggx2ac

?
It's not "extra", I'm paying for it, otherwise it would be 20€, not 40. What are the point of these semantics. I'm just worried more games will do stuff like this. (NBA 2k18...)

from the link in the OP:

Note: The retail product includes a game card of Resident Evil Revelations and a download code for Resident Evil Revelations 2. Both products are individually available as digital downloads.

Akoi

I'm using a 64GB card for the moment in my switch that I took from another device I wasn't using that much... I plan on getting a 200gb or 256gb card on black Friday if the prices are reasonable then. (You would think they would drop with the release of the 400gb)

TheMoon

I'm not sure. I do know the Complete Edition is around 30GB on PS3, so I'm not sure what's going on. If the PC version is really 13GB with the DLC included, that's impressive and gives me hope that the Switch version may actually include the entire game on a cartridge. I edited my original post on the subject to clarify this, as to hopefully not confuse anyone.

lanoiresteamqmx7i.jpg

it always shows the total needed for the whole thing you're installing.

shiyrley

Banned
from the link in the OP:
Dude. Each game is 20€ individually, the 1+2 physical package is 40€, the second game isn't "extra", it's just not included in the cartridge, but it's part of the package and I'm paying for it. And I don't like that. That's all.

13ruce

Banned
Meh will skip the game then for a while not gonna buy extra space this soon. Nintendo really should start on 40-50 gb cartridges.

Already bought extra space for my ps4 and while cool it's sad we have to buy extra sace this days because imo they are a pure money waste. Rather buy more games or something more usefull.

ggx2ac

Dude. Each game is 20€ individually, the 1+2 physical package is 40€, the second game isn't "extra", it's just not included in the cartridge, but it's part of the package and I'm paying for it. And I don't like that. That's all.

Go quote the other guy, I didn't say anything about extra. I'm just pointing out there's two separate games but only one of them is physical.

Don't waste your money on this game and get anything else.

Just a tedious poorly made boring cash grab following trends that made no sense for re to follow.

TheMoon

Here's the problem.

You talked about the physical game you bought eating 26gig.

I said it doesn't. Because it doesn't. Rev1, the only physical game in the box, is completely on the card while Rev2 is only ever available digitally and comes only via that download code in the box and is thus not a physical game you bought.

There ya go. Cleared up now?

Meh will skip the game then for a while not gonna buy extra space this soon. Nintendo really should start on 40-50 gb cartridges.

That would change nothing. Capcom could put this on a 32GB card and sell it separately. They're not.

That's a good thing but they need to add HDD support soon because this is going to be a problem in the future. Would help a lot but for a handheld I don't know what people expected. This is what Vita owners were dealing with since like 2013 but way worse. At least there games like this got compressed however.

Take the art style of Metroid Prime (in general). Bump that up to 720p/900p/1080p. What do you think the size of the game would be? I'd say it would push 20-25 gigs, therefore requiring a 32gb cart and a higher price tag because MANY developers are trying to avoid 32gb carts.

My other fear is that an art style change would occur because they don't want to run into that problem. I don't think too many Nintendo games are going to have size problems, but Metroid Prime 4 is one of them. I guess Xenoblade 2 is a better example given it's coming out sooner.

Buddy, there are a million things that determine file size outside of art style. Your fears are non sense.

I don't know because I never really checked since people were more concerned about backing up save files rather than backing up game files. (And we can't back up save files since it can't get transferred to the SD card.)

Guess I'll try it when I get home

It does suck that Capcom is making us download the second game, but it isn't like there's much of an alternative for an old game that's also super huge.

Revelations 1 + 2 is almost 40 GB which would require two cartridges (a 16 and a 32) but that would be way too pricey to justify the cost of ports of an old game. Besides compromising the quality of the game's assets, I don't know what Capcom could have done alternatively.

I wonder what that would mean for other potential PS3/360 ports that are old and huge.

diaspora

Take the art style of Metroid Prime (in general). Bump that up to 720p/900p/1080p. What do you think the size of the game would be? I'd say it would push 20-25 gigs, therefore requiring a 32gb cart and a higher price tag because MANY developers are trying to avoid 32gb carts.

My other fear is that an art style change would occur because they don't want to run into that problem. I don't think too many Nintendo games are going to have size problems, but Metroid Prime 4 is one of them. I guess Xenoblade 2 is a better example given it's coming out sooner.
That's not how this works.

That's not how any of this works.

jwillenn

Backlog Growth Prevention Policy ("must finish it before buying a new game")? Check
64GB Micro (thought it was only a 32GB until moments ago)? Check
Switch's Archival Feature? Check
All Digital Since Day 1? No problem!

Crazyorloco

I picked up a really good 200GB Micro SD card a few months ago for about $60 on Amazon. Had some gift cards left over so it actually cost me nothing! I've gone all digital besides Zelda and 1, 2, Switch and have 19 games, but I still have something like 185GB of storage left.

So a 200GB card should last a while, I recommend it as probably the best size/price value.

Nintendo really should begin offering some incentive for devs to pay a bit more to use them. And 64GB cards whenever those come out.

I'm pretty sure archiving or deleting your digital games does not delete the save data. I've done that with a few games so far but the save data is still on the console.

I think I bought the same card. That has been one of my best purchases I've made this year. I have a ton of digital games on the Switch and I still have over 130GB remaining. I recommend anyone with a switch to get a 128GB or above card.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what that would mean for other potential PS3/360 ports that are old and huge.

Luckily, the 360 was stuck with DVD tech, so they aren't that many. One of the largest (LA Noire) is already announced. Now, MGS4 would be something :p .But that will never get ported to anything
Maybe the Shiled?

-shadow-

RER 1 and 2 is 39 GB together. Bigger cart or no they together wouldn't fit.
How much would compression be able to bring that down? I thought that the Switch natively supports h265, which could bring the video (which the original atleast had a lot of) size down by a lot.

13ruce

Banned
Almost as silly as buying a completely portable console and choosing to carry around a bunch of cartridges with it

Actually pretty darn easy if you have a carry case tbh.

And it's just that i don't want to buy extra space yet will do when that 256gb one goes on sale after that 400gb one launches or is out for a while.

Coxy100

Banned
Almost as silly as buying a completely portable console and choosing to carry around a bunch of cartridges with it

Dude you have a strange outlook on life.

I have a case for my Switch - it holds 14 cartridges. I can therefore be fully portable if I wanted to. Am I silly? No - I just prefer physical.

However my console never leaves my house anyway so it's not hard to open one of my other cases and fetch a card...

iMerc

this is ridiculous on every single level.

-ridiculous on nintendo's level not to foresee that games, as time goes on, will likely require more & more space and should have at least included a bigger hd in the base switch OR offer multiple versions of the switch with different HD spaces, like the ps3 & 360 before it.

-ridiculous for capcom not to use a 32gb game card for this, OR give consumers the option of buying individual physical versions of RER1 & RER2 separately. i get they want to use the smaller 16gb card to maximise profits but their dumb-assery makes me not want to buy these games in protest.

-ridiculous on developers/publishers at large at getting so complacent with space provided by blu-ray tech, that it feels like their compression know-how has been pushed to the side, at the expense of their games possibly remaining bloated. remember factor 5 and their S3TC compression tech for the gcn? they were way ahead of the pack in those days.

FyreWulff

I have a PS4 so I've felt that pain before. I just had a little hope that Nintendo managed to avoid it. This problem could very well disappear with bigger cartridges if they are affordable for third parties.

i've also got a ps4, but at least on that you can put in a bigger internal in addition to an external.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
This shouldn't really be shocking to anyone: the writing was on the wall from the day the specs were revealed. With limited cartridge space and limited internal storage, it was literally always going to be the case that - if the Switch took off and attacted a new wave of third-party interest - these kind of compromises were going to be necessary.

To do all that it does, the Switch is forced to be the console of compromises: from odd smart phone chat app, to the odd placement of the headphone jack to this malarky with the onboard storage...

EDarkness

You're happy that you had to pay even more money after spending $299 just to play a game?

This logic is absolutely absurd. Never should one have to buy additional storage when buying a physical game.

What are you talking about? I had/have to get extra storage for my PS4 and I'm always juggling the fridge on that system. Games there easily get up to 60GB. Just the Doom demo is huge. Early adopters for the XBO and PS4 should have been dealing with this already as there wasn't enough storage out of the box, so no one should be surprised about this. Why someone wouldn't even have an SD card for their NS in the first place is baffling. I'm 90% physical and I still purchased an SD card on day one specifically for this purpose.

Oh really ? I was wondering how it would work, and if I would have to move up/reinstall everything like on Wii U. So I can just copy/paste everything from my old sd card to the new one and I'm fine ?

Yeah if this is the case 128GB is fine for me. Just flip stuff to and from the card on my computer.

Top Bottom