• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Switch) will require microSDXC, 26GB.

Astral Dog

Some developers really need to compress their games more. I admittedly speak out of ignorance on the matter since I know little of the process, but if Nintendo (and Shin-en for that matter) can do it so well why not others?
Lack of VA and CG cutscenes wich REV 2 does have. 25GB is already fairly low for a current gen game. (they did release a 360 version however, but PS4 requires more space)

Astral Dog

Here's the problem.

You talked about the physical game you bought eating 26gig.

I said it doesn't. Because it doesn't. Rev1, the only physical game in the box, is completely on the card while Rev2 is only ever available digitally and comes only via that download code in the box and is thus not a physical game you bought.

There ya go. Cleared up now?

That would change nothing. Capcom could put this on a 32GB card and sell it separately. They're not.
Wow you know clearly what he meant 😑

iMerc

seriously, with some clever compression tech, they could easily turn a 26gb game into something that only takes up at most half that space.

but that would require effort on capcoms part, and nintendo gamers still have more tests to pass, i'm sure.
Plus, developers/publishers have already gotten comfortable with releasing games the 'PC' way; whereby you buy the disk but still have a day1 installation of some sort in order for it to be playable.

this was not the home console way... nor should it ever be. but it's to late for that now anyway.

You really need to do yourself a favor and get a 128 GB one, they go for $40- $45 and you get them cheaper on black friday.
We can expect something in the 20a to 30s for probably the majority of third party games. If anyone is gonna invest in third party games, I reckon they should upgrade to 200GB, or at least 128GB as you said. Space will get filled up fast..

Koobion

I feel like needing big sd cards isn't too big a deal, as people are used to this process with their phones and tablets, and the Switch is essentially a console tablet.

ggx2ac

Link? I can only find the US "collection" on Play Asia.

Ōkami;248149787 said:
To dispel whatever rumors, how the Revelations games are being sold on Switch in Japan.

The first game is being sold as stand alone retail and digital at 2990 and 2769 yen respectively, Revelations 2 is sold digital only at 2769, 2 is not getting a stand alone release in Japan.

There will be a 2 in 1 pack, it contains a card with the first game and a voucher for a digital copy of the second one, priced at 4990 yen.

So no, there is no retail copy of Revelations 2 for Switch releasing anywhere.

Plus this in the link:

seriously, with some clever compression tech, they could easily turn a 26gb game into something that only takes up at most half that space.

but that would require effort on capcoms part, and nintendo gamers still have more tests to pass, i'm sure.
Plus, developers/publishers have already gotten comfortable with releasing games the 'PC' way; whereby you buy the disk but still have a day1 installation of some sort in order for it to be playable.

this was not the home console way… nor should it ever be. but it's to late for that now anyway.

Low storage space is only ever going to end up with features being cut or compromises being made on assets. "Lazy devs" seems like an unfair criticism when they're porting a game with all content+DLC and new control features to a handheld.

Nintendo should just unlock USB hard drive capability for those who play Switch primarily at home. Unless 64GB cartridges magically become as cheap as discs, there isn't any way to get around this, especially for games with a suggested MSRP below $40.

Me and others before have suggested a fridge.

They've done it with Wii U where they'll encrypt your external HDD.

So let us use an external HDD connected to the dock to store games we don't use since it will be easier to 'Switch' around the games from HDD to Switch than having to redownload games from the eShop.

ADvOtKs.gif

Yeah I don't need a 26gb download for Rev 2 either. I'd love portable raid on the go with a better control layout. But I can wait to see if they do a Asia physical release like Rev 2 on Vita got.

Normally I would be annoyed but given the price I'm willing to let it slide. Gotta get an SD card sooner than I thought though.

Yeah I don't need a 26gb download for Rev 2 either. I'd love portable raid on the go with a better control layout. But I can wait to see if they do a Asia physical release like Rev 2 on Vita got.

It's not even because of space for me.

I refuse to buy a retail collection with just 1 retail game included. That's one of the stupidest ideas I have ever seen.

No thank you.

shiyrley

Banned
Here's the problem.

You talked about the physical game you bought eating 26gig.

I said it doesn't. Because it doesn't. Rev1, the only physical game in the box, is completely on the card while Rev2 is only ever available digitally and comes only via that download code in the box and is thus not a physical game you bought.

There ya go. Cleared up now?
But that doesn't negate my point. I don't like that if I buy a physical package of two games, I have to download the second game and therefore fill up 26 GB in my Switch. It's pack of the package and I believe it should be part of the cartridge. That's all. It's not the end of the world but I don't like it. I am also aware there are not good solutions for the publisher.
Almost as silly as buying a completely portable console and choosing to carry around a bunch of cartridges with it
Yeah you are right.

Please look at how I transform this portable console into a completely non-portable mess.
ctooKiZ.gif

See? Can't carry it around anymore. How silly I am to carry these around.

TheMoon

Wow you know clearly what he meant 😑

It's about what he said and what caused the back and forth.

Oh really ? I was wondering how it would work, and if I would have to move up/reinstall everything like on Wii U. So I can just copy/paste everything from my old sd card to the new one and I'm fine ?

I've only done it with screenshots so far but I don't see why the rest of the data wouldn't work like that too.

TheMoon

Can I play Revelations 2 co-op online or just local?

Raid Mode is the only online co-op thing.

But that doesn't negate my point. I don't like that if I buy a physical package of two games, I have to download the second game and therefore fill up 26 GB in my Switch. It's pack of the package and I believe it should be part of the cartridge. That's all. It's not the end of the world but I don't like it. I am also aware there are not good solutions for the publisher.

It's never been about negating your point :)

TheMoon

Someone educate me, why are Switch Cartridges more expensive than Blu Ray Discs?

for one, BR discs have been manufactured in masses for over a decade now. Then think about what a game card is vs a disc.

I'm no expert, I'm pulling this out of my ass with logic. So...ya know.

Low storage space is only ever going to end up with features being cut or compromises being made on assets. "Lazy devs" seems like an unfair criticism when they're porting a game with all content+DLC and new control features to a handheld.

Nintendo should just unlock USB hard drive capability for those who play Switch primarily at home. Unless 64GB cartridges magically become as cheap as discs, there isn't any way to get around this, especially for games with a suggested MSRP below $40.

I really can't agree with this statement more. I know there are many clever compression techniques out there, but ultimately there is still less content.

I'm getting concerned that devs would sacrifice graphical fidelity to get games to fit on cheaper carts.

Having the option of an HDD at home definitely needs to happen eventually, but I'm guessing we'll be waiting as long as we are for bluetooth audio.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Someone educate me, why are Switch Cartridges more expensive than Blu Ray Discs?

BR are pieces of plastic with info literally printed on them, almost like if it were paper, bust more like a mold. You can even make them in your home.

Cartridges are solid state non volatile memory storage made of millions of semi conductors. Along with proper insulating casing and communication interface. The higher the capacity, the more semi conductors and gates are needed.

That's the gist of it.

Ridley327

Flash media has always been more expensive than optical media, due to the amount of parts needed to construct one as well as being harder to produce at larger capacities in larger yields. It's not a new problem, but it is perhaps more pronounced now since a lot of these publishers haven't had to deal with putting their games on flash media before the Switch.

Neptonic

This is why I fear an art style change for Metroid Prime 4. That and the potential framerate.

But I see Nintendo keeping a similar art style and charging $70 for it
You mean Nintendo, the kings of making low resolution textures look good and compressing the shit out of their games?

cvxfreak

It does suck that Capcom is making us download the second game, but it isn't like there's much of an alternative for an old game that's also super huge.

Revelations 1 + 2 is almost 40 GB which would require two cartridges (a 16 and a 32) but that would be way too pricey to justify the cost of ports of an old game. Besides compromising the quality of the game's assets, I don't know what Capcom could have done alternatively.

I never played the 360 version, but that was on one DVD, right? I imagine Capcom might get there by only including the main campaign and RAID mode, and nuking the different language voice packs.

Masx

Banned
Sigh, this half physical/digital is such a dumb trend for a physical copy that I hope it never becomes the norm but not going to hold my breath.

DVCY201

Thanks for the responses everyone. I figured the cost of manufacturing would increase the price, but it seems apparent that the increase is more than I thought

This reminds me of when FFX2 was a download code in the remaster package. The two games are too big to fit on one cart. Don't know why this particular example is being framed as a Switch specific issue.

You're happy that you had to pay even more money after spending $299 just to play a game?

This logic is absolutely absurd. Never should one have to buy additional storage when buying a physical game.

Goddamn this post makes me roll my eyes so bad

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I never played the 360 version, but that was on one DVD, right? I imagine Capcom might get there by only including the main campaign and RAID mode, and nuking the different language voice packs.

Why stop there? The vita version is sub 4GB! :p

But in terms of assets, will REv2 be closer to current gen than last?

Ridley327

I seem to recall people mentioning that the FMV was very noticeably compressed on the 360 version in both games, so that would have an impact.

cvxfreak

Why stop there? The vita version is sub 4GB! :p

But in terms of assets, will REv2 be closer to current gen than last?

I actually beat the Vita version. The inaudible sound still gives me nightmares. It dethroned RE2 N64 for the crown of worst audio in an RE game.

Capcom hasn't said a word about the graphics, framerate, resolution, etc. Need to wait for TGS. :/

Top Bottom