• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - News and Info Thread

J-Rock

Banned
I'm so glad they are making RE games on the Wii easier for us to play. It's the perfect system for it. It made me so happy to read this back before RE:UC was released:
The game was initially going to play similarly to Resident Evil 4. However, in an interview with Famitsu, the game's producer Masachika Kawata revealed the reason for the drastic change in gameplay. According to him, "Wii users like easiness" and that a Resident Evil 4-style game is "too complicated" for Wii users to enjoy. Masachika Kawata then elaborated that "complex operability can be an obstacle for Wii users", and that he purposefully had to "compromise to a lower difficulty level" and "reduce enthusiast-only elements".

Majmun

J-Rock said:
I'm so glad they are making RE games on the Wii easier for us to play. It's the perfect system for it. It made me so happy to read this back before RE:UC was released:

What, that quote is real?

So stupid. :lol

if Leon and Claire will be sticking together, does that mean no Sherryl and Ada?

I hope that the alternate scenarios will let us play as chief Irons, Marvin and Ben

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
J-Rock said:
I think it was a smart design choice. I was never good at the other RE games. They were just too hard for me to play.

That's because they controlled like ass aside from RE4.

Redd

..pakbeka.. said:
if Leon and Claire will be sticking together, does that mean no Sherryl and Ada?

I hope that the alternate scenarios will let us play as chief Irons, Marvin and Ben

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see some scenarios where Leon and Ada team up should Lean an Claire get separated.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
..pakbeka.. said:

Well, if the game is indeed going to feature RE4, I assume Ada will be in (you need another character for co-op), and so will Steve (CVX 1st half) and
Chris
(CVX 2nd half).

Davey Cakes

J-Rock said:
I think it was a smart design choice. I was never good at the other RE games. They were just too hard for me to play.
RE4, though? On the easiest mode? Using the Wiimote?

I've actually encountered some tough spots in UC. It's not necessarily an easy game by any means, even on normal mode, and I'm a Resident Evil veteran.

The idea that people can't play a game unless all aspects other than shooting are removed is ridiculous. They say that they're adding in higher difficulties for gamers who want challenge, but how is that different from adding in lower difficulties for more casual-oriented players? Really, the Wii in the first place was meant to simplify things, and I think the Wiimote aiming in RE4 was the only necessary step to take in that direction. Give RE4 an even easier mode and what can't a Wii user enjoy at that point?

And also, if they're really worried about alienating Wii gamers by making the game too hard, why don't they just include an "arcade mode" of sorts, that plays like UC? I think that's a good model. Games like Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 have already done this. While they do have a main story mode, they also have an arcade mode that's on rails and is perfect for less skilled gamers who only wish to focus on shooting. Good for "jump in and play." Y'know?

J-Rock

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
That's because they controlled like ass aside from RE4.

RE4 was too hard for me even on the Wii. I prefer on-rail Wii games because they are easy to play. Easier games are always more fun to play. That's why I bought a Wii. RE:TDC is going to be the best RE game on the Wii! Can't wait!

duckroll

..pakbeka.. said:

Sherryl is in the game. She's specifically mentioned in the Famitsu article.

Sadist

J-Rock said:
RE4 was too hard for me even on the Wii. I prefer on-rail Wii games because they are easy to play. Easier games are always more fun to play. That's why I bought a Wii. RE:TDC is going to be the best RE game on the Wii! Can't wait!
You suck at gaming.
:( :p

J-Rock said:
Yeah, you don't remember all the news about that?
http://wii.ign.com/articles/784/784627p1.html

I thought that the word "easier" was probably an unfortunate choice in the translation. "Uncomplicated" would have probably been a more accurate word choice. I think that's what they were going for. What could be less complicated than point and shoot?

Edit: Jochan said it. "Simpler" is another good word.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
J-Rock said:
I wouldn't say UC was easier. Simpler maybe, but not easier: it can be pretty challenging, and I dare to say sometimes even more than RE4.
I still have to beat both games... I swear I will, someday!

pakkit

Banned
The second wave of rail-shooters (House of the Dead: Overkill, Dead Space: Extinction, and Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles) all have a lot of colons and a bit of unique innovation. HoTD had it's unique score multiplier and slow mo-fo time. Dead Space will have dismemberment through twisting the Wii Remote as well as zero-G and stasis and telekinesis. RE: Darkside will have single player co-op as well as the richer backstory of all of the Resident Evils.

It's interesting to see so many new entries and exciting ideas in a genre that has long been declared dead or arcades-only.

J-Rock

Banned
Sadist said:
You suck at gaming.
:( :p

That doesn't bother me. I have people like Masachika Kawata making games that fit my playing style. RE: UC has the best RE controls on the Wii. Period. RE4 Wii controls are garbage. That's obviously why they made RE: TDC instead of another RE game with RE4 style controls. And last I heard RE:UC sold better than RE4 Wii. Gotta give the people what they want.

I can't wait to play this game!!!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Varna said:
Movement was exactly the same. The only thing you can do different is aim and knife quickly.

and magically the camera was behind the player, making it much easier to control.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I'm annoyed we've already seen a significant chunk of the police station in the original UC :(

Sadist

J-Rock said:
That doesn't bother me. I have people like Masachika Kawata making games that fit my playing style. RE: UC has the best RE controls on the Wii. Period. RE4 Wii controls are garbage. That's obviously why they made RE: TDC instead of another RE game with RE4 style controls. And last I heard RE:UC sold better than RE4 Wii. Gotta give the people what they want.

I can't wait to play this game!!!
Comments about RE 4 Wii controls being garbage: Sadist sad panda mode :(

Comments about Resi Sales age: incorrect. RE 4 Wii Edition sold 1.5 million copies. UC 1.25 million copies.

I really like UC, but the checkpoint system was too unforgiving. If that make it easier, I'm all down for this when the price is around $30-40.

ksamedi

This looks much better than UC. UC was quite boring. I had a hard time getting trough eachlevel because of how slow it was. If they fix the speed issues, this one has potential. Shoudl have been a FPS though like someone else said.

The pictures look like they are in low colour mode or something, but the first thing I thought of after realising that is the old cg backgrounds of RE 1 and 2, they were low colour images on the psx and look just like that :lol

Dunno if that's a compression thing or not for these pictures but it's a rather cool effect.

Meesh

The game was initially going to play similarly to Resident Evil 4. However, in an interview with Famitsu, the game's producer Masachika Kawata revealed the reason for the drastic change in gameplay.According to him, "Wii users like easiness" and that a Resident Evil 4-style game is "too complicated" for Wii users to enjoy. Masachika Kawata then elaborated that "complex operability can be an obstacle for Wii users", and that he purposefully had to "compromise to a lower difficulty level" and "reduce enthusiast-only elements".

Out right bull shit, complete cop out. At least give us the courtesy and respect by telling us the truth. Light gun games of this pedigree are an instant sell, RE is a five star name brand, probably costs less in the long run to make=so big returns.$$

I still believe an RE4 style game would sell well, if not better....

However, looking strictly at what Dark Side is so far, It's damn gorgeous, being able to see the other character is inventive/clever, content may be greater, and overall I'm impressed with what their doing with the light gun genre...Wiis best light gun/horror game of the forever?

Flame/hate away, whatever

scarybore

Shame it isn't a remake but REUC was good fun so consider this bought. Pretty nice trailer and Claire looks hawt, which is a bit strange as I always thought her RE2 design would look real stupid with todays graphics. Also, <3 the Claire avatars.

-hope the other character getting up in the screen now and again isn't distracting (would rather it just be like the original UC)
-glad they're pushing the graphics further. i had no problems with UC but if they want to take it further then be my guest! :D
-i REALLY hope there's more content than UC. i flew through UC like nobody's business, and im not that great at light gun games
-moar guns plz!
-trophies pl.... oh wait... :(

day one purchase regardless of my list of concerns. so tired of generic light gun games (if any at all nowadays). need to go get the new house of the dead though...

beje

Banned
Diablohead said:
The pictures look like they are in low colour mode or something, but the first thing I thought of after realising that is the old cg backgrounds of RE 1 and 2, they were low colour images on the psx and look just like that :lol

Dunno if that's a compression thing or not for these pictures but it's a rather cool effect.
the game is actually that way, it's the same in RE:UC, RE4 and DR:CTYD mainly because they share the same engine.

And btw, it's not a "cool effect". It's a glitch called dithering that happens when you render a game at a lower pallete/colour depth than the textures you used, and it's annoying as hell

Sadist

And I hope there are some more Wesker scenarios. Those were pretty awesome in UC.

Fighting against Lisa and the duo Mr X battle are still nice

pakkit

Banned
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
-i REALLY hope there's more content than UC. i flew through UC like nobody's business, and im not that great at light gun games
I thought UC was supposed to be pretty long for light gun games?

CrisKre

Not only is UC really really long for the type of game it is, but also I think the progression rocked. The unlocking multiple chapters and secret chapters when beating a segment really worked for the game. It was a branching paths of sort and just kept the experience fresh. I hope they keep that aspect of it in this game as well.

Looking forward to this game. I enjoyed the first game for what it was, and I really did get addicted through playing the levels multiple times for better ratings and finding all the hidden documents.

Like others have mentioned, I hope they include extra scenarios to get more information on the background of certain events. More Ada/Wesker stuff would be awesome (maybe in regards to RE 4).

The one thing that can go that I wouldn't miss is the knife mechanic. It wasn't as bad when used in moderation like the mansion chapter with the spiders, but the leeches were so annoying in the RE:0 chapter.

duckroll

JacksUsername said:
The one thing that can go that I wouldn't miss is the knife mechanic. It wasn't as bad when used in moderation like the mansion chapter with the spiders, but the leeches were so annoying in the RE:0 chapter.

Maybe they'll force you to use the knife exclusively for the entire RE:CV chapter. After all, it's overpowered enough in that game for some players to actually do that! :lol

Huggy

It saddens me to hear that a new RE game on the Wii is getting an additional physics engine, while games on platforms with far more processing power are blessed with reused
(REused, lollerskates)
animations from prequels from the last generation.
Unless they're just using the animation suite.

Meh.

Tron 2.0

Three things I would like to see improved gameplay-wise from UC:

-Increase the momentum of the game. UC had such a leisurely pace it dragged at times, there was no sense of horror or even urgency.

-Let's put a little "horror" back into the game, please.

-I said this about Dead Space Wii as well, but someone needs to make a rails shooter where you can look 360 degrees with the camera.

I skipped over HoD: Overkill but I'm planning on picking Dead Space Wii up. Maybe this if it's improved over UC.

vareon

I didn't really enjoy UC though I agree that it wasn't a bad game. If this will be an improvement to UC then I'm all over it.

I enjoyed UC, although more of it isn't what I would want in an ideal world, it could still be fun. It'll be cool to revisit the RE2 scenario again at least.

Bizzyb

Banned
This is NOT the RE2 Remake I wanted....but, screw the Hater!

This game looks good as Fuck!
I will most likely get this one. I can't wait to See Sherry and Ada, and of course Birkin G

Top Bottom