• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - News and Info Thread

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Despite my previous posts, this looks pretty sweet.

Hype is on.

Tenbatsu

Now that the pacing of UC is still in the game, all that I wish for is that critical headshot will also be!

Logo
bhdc01.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I think the game could benefit from focusing on just RE2. They could flesh out the experience more. But I'm excited to see the CV scenario and the original scenario too. I hope RE4 doesn't make it in but it probably will.
Let's hope we get another 4th survivor with Tofu too this time.

while I would have preferred a third person action, this still looks really good. it appears to be third person on-rails lightgun game, which I think could be really cool. I love the look and the graphics, and I just love resident evil in general. I bet this will be a real blast.

I may HAVE to get a wii now... I need to play RE zero (not gonna play it on GC! no component cables) and now these two chronicles games, not to mention RE4 wii.

I'm too big of an RE guy to not have a wii anymore.. must find good bargain..

Fantastical

Death Prophet
HorribleJames said:
while I would have preferred a third person action, this still looks really good. it appears to be third person on-rails lightgun game, which I think could be really cool.
The other person is just your partner. It's first person.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I have to admit they are getting better at this style of game and again I loved REUC except for the horrible Zero levels. It's not that we didn't want a sequel to UC based around Leon and Claire but those are suppose to be desserts for the main courses. Wii owners love RE though so this will sell well. I'll buy this so we can past the test to get UC3 in 2011.

Darkpen

Banned
those screens are awesome :D But man, does Leon's low-poly-ness show in that one in-game shot D: I mean, really, what's with his lips

ThirstyFly said:
God, Claire's RE2 outfit looks so much sillier now. I hope she only has those shorts in the RE2 parts and gets the full jeans for the Code Veronica stuff.

She's riding a motorcycle with that outfit. She takes a spill at 40kph and she's zombie feed anyway. Really not too bright.

Christopher

HorribleJames said:
while I would have preferred a third person action, this still looks really good. it appears to be third person on-rails lightgun game, which I think could be really cool. I love the look and the graphics, and I just love resident evil in general. I bet this will be a real blast.

I may HAVE to get a wii now... I need to play RE zero (not gonna play it on GC! no component cables) and now these two chronicles games, not to mention RE4 wii.

I'm too big of an RE guy to not have a wii anymore.. must find good bargain..

Skip Zero - Get Chronocles 1 it gives you the basic plot without the ass boring gameplay.

Thank god most of the whiners are finally calming down, UC was a pretty solid game, and was not "cheap" by any means...the graphics and presentation were excellent. I got a lot out of the first game with my buddies who came over to play.

Tron 2.0

Christopher said:
Skip Zero - Get Chronocles 1 it gives you the basic plot without the ass boring gameplay.

Thank god most of the whiners are finally calming down, UC was a pretty solid game, and was not "cheap" by any means...the graphics and presentation were excellent. I got a lot out of the first game with my buddies who came over to play.
Whatever you think of the game (I think it was pretty okay), it's hard to argue that it wasn't done cheap. It may not look "cheap" but by stripping the assets from everywhere else it was not expensive to develop.

Christopher

Tron 2.0 said:
Whatever you think of the game (I think it was pretty okay), it's hard to argue that it wasn't done cheap. It may not look "cheap" but by stripping the assets from everywhere else it was not expensive to develop.

Where did the strip assests for? Outbreak for Jill's scenrio?

Resident Evil 0 and 1 had pre-rendered backdrops, so those were all made from scratch again...the lab scenerio with Jill and Chris was brand new...even the enemy models from the games weren't exactly the same.

I'm pretty sure they had to stick close to source material...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Tron 2.0 said:
there was nothing cheap about UC. ok, maybe except the sporadic out-of-engine cutscenes. but everything else was pretty damn polished. and by that i mean re4 levels.

Christopher said:

I kinda feel like I have to play RE Zero.

I've been an RE guy since the very beginning, and zero is the only "real" RE game in the entire series I still haven't played through ("real" as in not a spinoff or lightgun game etc).

beyond that, it LOOKS really good in videos. so beyond just feeling like I HAVE to play it for my RE cred, I think I kinda want to as well.

tass0

Banned
Please, please announce that you're changing the gameplay style so it can be a real RE game, please! Just a good remake of RE2 will make me fall into all sorts of love with Capcom again.

HorribleJames said:
I kinda feel like I have to play RE Zero.

I've been an RE guy since the very beginning, and zero is the only "real" RE game in the entire series I still haven't played through ("real" as in not a spinoff or lightgun game etc).

beyond that, it LOOKS really good in videos. so beyond just feeling like I HAVE to play it for my RE cred, I think I kinda want to as well.

the main villain is an opera singer in white robes (he controls leeches with opera singing) who threatens random people for no real reason, and turns out to be an old dead man who came back to life and turned young because of leech powers. he mentions that he caused the events of resident evil 1 without explaining how he did it, and then mutants into a "queen leech" (even though leeches don't have sexes) and dies from sunlight

actually, he/she/it dies from a magnum bullet with causes him to break into pieces and then fall down an elevator shaft and then explode

also it basically tells you that bravo team and rebecca walked all the way from the woods into another mansion then all the way underground to the lab under raccoon city, then back to the mansion

cvxfreak

GalacticAE said:
We also find out that Enrico has the power of teleportation.

RE0 is a good game. Play it.

So Enrico has Wesker's virus too? :D

Damn those S.T.A.R.S. leaders (Alpha and Bravo). :lol

I enjoyed RE0. The partner mechanic was cool, it was nice at least having the extra pack mule. Splitting up helped up the tension at certain points, and the fact that you could put items on the ground and pick them up later was an amazing feature that really should be seen again.

Also, I picked up UC again after a ridiculously long hiatus. Replayed some older levels to get a feel for the game again...I'll try and beat Scene 3 of the Mansion scenario this weekend. I hate those damn chimeras on the last area...GRAH. Such an obnoxious level.

RE0 was great despite dumb new enemies (GIANT ANIMALS AND INSECTS!) and villains. I thought the RE experience was essentially preserved and it was lots of fun.

While I initially didn't like the idea of TDSC, I have to say that this interests me a bit. I was never a big fan of RE2, so I at least hope they cover some other RE games like in UC. This looks so much better than UC and coop could be lots of fun fun fun.

Resident Evil 0 is the only RE game that I've finished once.

Every other main series game I've finished multiple times. It wasn't bad but, as some people have eluded to, the enemies were pretty lame and the pacing seemed screwed up. Plus the entire concept that Rebecca was involved in all this before Chris and Jill showed up, yet she never mentioned it, that always rubbed me the wrong way.

If you crave an original adventure in the classic RE style though, you don't have many choices. The game looks even better than REmake in places and there is one particular enemy type that still gives me nightmares to this day.

But yeah, can't wait for all things RE. Just waiting for the sun to go down so I can start RE5.

EmCeeGramr said:
also it basically tells you that bravo team and rebecca walked all the way from the woods into another mansion then all the way underground to the lab under raccoon city, then back to the mansion

Yeah, and then she sat in a room waiting for Chris to find her. Rebecca sucks as a main character :|

RE0 is a good game. Not a great game, but a good one. It's RE on autopilot and feels mostly uninspired, but a fan of the series should give it a try.

Nemesis_

If they do to Ada what they did to Barry in UC.

HEADS WILL ROLL

"Home of Umbrella"

Uh, ok. What a weird thing to put on signage.
Well, it was one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, and Raccoon City was their original "base".

EDIT: Actually, wasn't Umbrella originally based in Europe? I can't even remember >_>

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The reveal of this one renewed my interest in going back to UC and actually finishing it (was playing it coop with my brother but he didn't care after a while. Guess I'll single play it).

And thanks for a thread without the nonstop bullshit that went on the other one about DC and the Dead Space Extraction one.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Nemesis556 said:
Well, it was one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, and Raccoon City was their original "base".

EDIT: Actually, wasn't Umbrella originally based in Europe? I can't even remember >_>
I'm pretty sure Umbrella originated in Raccoon City, but has its main facilities in (not really a spoiler)
Russia, as seen in UC1

Diablohead said:
First time I seen that video, i'm glad they have not messed up claire's voice actor.
I thought all the voice clips in that trailer were old stuff ripped from the previous games.

But you don't have anything to worry about. Alyson Court seems more than happy to do the voice of Claire since she recently did it for the Degeneration movie. I love when voice actors stick with a character like that.

Details from the launch event :
Tonight at Capcom's Resident Evil 5 launch event in San Francisco we cornered a producer on the just-announced Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles. We asked the tough questions -- and he dodged most of them. We were able to get a few more details, though, about the upcoming sequel to Umbrella Chronicles.

The term "Darkside" refers to the series' horror roots. What started out as survival horror is now a straight action game in Resident Evil 5. The Darkside Chronicles is set during the events of Resident Evil 2, when the series' survival horror mechanics really hit its stride. The title is meant to convey that sense of the macabre.

Players will revisit the significant events of Resident Evil 2, but they'll have to blast through new areas, as well. We know Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield will be playable characters, and we can apparently expect to see more "main characters" from the series make appearances. Players will be able to switch between controlling Leon and Claire.

In its initial announcement, Capcom declared The Darkside Chronicles will allow players to perform a new evade move with the Wii remote. We asked for clarification, but Capcom didn't want to reveal any more information at this time, other than the new move will be something new to the on-rails genre. As for the upgraded camera system, the developers are trying to convey a sense of action. In Umbrella Chronicles, the camera was being used to communicate that classic, suspenseful Resident Evil feel, the producer said.

Finally, for everyone who thought it was too difficult to pull off headshots in Umbrella Chronicles, decapitating zombies is being made easier in the sequel.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles is set for a winter 2009 release. Make sure to check out the game's debut trailer.
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/962/962316p1.html

Never really cared for the first game myself, but granted they manage to pull off the atmosphere and gameplay features they have in mind, I think this one could be worth checking out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
"The term "Darkside" refers to the series' horror roots. What started out as survival horror is now a straight action game in Resident Evil 5. The Darkside Chronicles is set during the events of Resident Evil 2, when the series' survival horror mechanics really hit its stride. The title is meant to convey that sense of the macabre."

I like the sound of that.

Perdew

kiruyama said:
didn't time crisis have an evade/cover system? How could this be new

Balance board support for upper torso
belieeeeeeve

Or that uhm... that thing where you see the TV like a window and wear a wiimote on your head or something.

stuminus3

You know, I'm actually looking forward to this now. Dead Space, too. I really love UC and HOTO on Wii, and I've actually wanted to see more like it.

Wish there was as much effort put into wheel-compatible arcade racers on the system, though. I don't know why it should be down to Monster Games and Monster Games alone. But that's a conversation for another topic.

scitek

Yeah, you can see some of the new action-y camera-style they're trying to implement in that trailer. Looks like the camera's more attached to your head in SP mode since you can see your own hands reloading your gun and shit. Makes for a much bumpier ride, though.

The trailer does looks pretty awesome and the game looks to be a marked improvement over UC in ALL aspects. It seems that this truly is the evolution of the lightgun genre. While it was always a kind of separate type of style from the first person shooter this quite literally looks like an FPS on rails

Just got to see this trailer finally and wow. Looks to one up the original UC by far. Love the idea of having your partner on the screen. Ohhhhhhh now I gotta wait till winter for this one... well gives me plenty of times to replay 5. :D

Jammy

Banned
Actually, with everything we know so far there's absolutely no reason to not be excited for this game. No, it's not RE2make or RE6, but this game sounds real good in its own right. Easier head-shots? Darker and scarier? Better graphics? Consider this a purchase.

Top Bottom