• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - News and Info Thread

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Amir0x said:
I agree, being able to shoot Miis of your friends in a bloody lightgun shooter would be all kinds of awesome. Too bad no one will ever get to license them for this.

D-X

Question is what NEW scenario will be involved in this game?

UC had 0, 1, 3 and Russia
DS has 2, CV?, 4? and what?

Claire's break into Umbrella's European lab at the start of CV would be nice.

Could a 1st person version of Degeneration be included as it is kind of an epilogue like Russia?

Perhaps Outbreak would get the shooter treatment?

Eh I'm tired of replaying the same scenarios over and over again...

of course I am interested in this one as along as it provides WiFi support.

They should have just based it on Resident Evil: Degeneration.

GoldandBlue said:
I'm surprised half the comments aren't "Make it a real RE2" remake or "Give us a RE with RE4Wii controls!" Of course, now that the link is here, I'm sure a few will appear. :lol
More than half of the comments are about that actually, oh hey check this:

Full Remake of re2 with separate storrys its pretty cool but dont put it on Wii it will only be a rail shooter just put it on xbox360 and ps3
ryt coz most of the resident evil in wii are point and click shooting games there is isnt any excitement on that other than the game cube ones

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Forgive me if this is a bit of a ramble.

Yesterday I spent something like 12-14 hours straight playing Resident Evil 5 all the way through to its thrilling conclusion. It was brilliant. I don't ever ever want to see them attempt it on Wii for a multitude of reasons though.

One, it'd be a port. The graphics would suffer tremendously and it would be a retread of what I've played already. Two, some sections simply wouldn't work the same - one section where
you're walking through a tunnel and the other player holds the lamp for you
would be very iffy with the downgrade in technology. Three, co-op. You couldn't do it online and I dread to think how RE4-style graphics over split-screen would work. And to be honest, I really resent Resident Evil 5 for being co-op.

I'm actually playing through Resident Evil 3 at the moment, and as dated as the graphics are I do miss the sense of tension and fear during the game. I secretly hope that if Capcom decide to follow this lightgun game up with a "real" Resident Evil game they make one akin to REmake detailing any more incidents that RE5 didn't cover.

...but really the point I'm trying to make is, I guess I'm alright with this being a new lightgun shooter. I've had my fill of mainline Resident Evil for another few years and I will enjoy seeing what else Dark Side Chronicles can do to expand on the story.

TunaLover

It could be nice if there more "breakable" zombie body parts, legs, arms, torso holes, and obvious head, like RE2.

I want more breakable doors too, I just play UC again and realized there at least 2 new rooms from behind that doors.

radcliff

SovanJedi said:

Yesterday I spent something like 12-14 hours straight playing Resident Evil 5 all the way through to its thrilling conclusion. It was brilliant. I don't ever ever want to see them attempt it on Wii for a multitude of reasons though.

If they were to port RE5 to Wii, the game obviously wouldn't be made with you in mind. It would be for Wii-only owners who don't have the means to play the game. Obviously multi-console owners would already have played the HD versions if they were RE fans. They could then either ignore the Wii version, or try it out to see how it controls using IR. And while they may or may not have to remove sections of the game to put it on Wii, that doesn't mean Capcom couldn't add new sections to the Wii version that couldn't be done on the HD consoles which would take advantage of the unique abilities of the Wii Remote.

Meesh

schuelma said:
"The term "Darkside" refers to the series' horror roots. What started out as survival horror is now a straight action game in Resident Evil 5. The Darkside Chronicles is set during the events of Resident Evil 2, when the series' survival horror mechanics really hit its stride. The title is meant to convey that sense of the macabre."

I like the sound of that.

Me too. I played a lot of co-op in RE:UC(finished the game), tons of fun, and if head shots are a little easier, well that's OK by me(que disgusted relatives)...taking the "action" out and adding "horror" is exactly what I'm looking forward to...my biggest complaint: I want it now!

SovanJedi said:

One, it'd be a port. The graphics would suffer tremendously and it would be a retread of what I've played already. Two, some sections simply wouldn't work the same - one section where
you're walking through a tunnel and the other player holds the lamp for you
would be very iffy with the downgrade in technology. Three, co-op. You couldn't do it online and I dread to think how RE4-style graphics over split-screen would work. And to be honest, I really resent Resident Evil 5 for being co-op.

I'm actually playing through Resident Evil 3 at the moment, and as dated as the graphics are I do miss the sense of tension and fear during the game. I secretly hope that if Capcom decide to follow this lightgun game up with a "real" Resident Evil game they make one akin to REmake detailing any more incidents that RE5 didn't cover.

...but really the point I'm trying to make is, I guess I'm alright with this being a new lightgun shooter. I've had my fill of mainline Resident Evil for another few years and I will enjoy seeing what else Dark Side Chronicles can do to expand on the story.

There is no reason not to have both. And noone will force you to play or even acknowledge a Wii RE5 port if you dont want to.

m3k

hey does anyone know what uc sold? us, japan, worldwide? just curious what capcom considers a success and would make them make a sequel

Vinci

Danish
Jocchan said:
I agree, being able to shoot Miis of your friends in a bloody lightgun shooter would be all kinds of awesome. Too bad no one will ever get to license them for this.

I'm still waiting for a Mii RPG in which you're able to assign different Miis as 'the villain,' 'the sidekick,' etc. and so on. Leading a group of people including Conan O'Brien, Saddam Hussein, and Hitler against my mother would be all kinds of insane and awesome.

pvpness

Vinci said:
I'm still waiting for a Mii RPG in which you're able to assign different Miis as 'the villain,' 'the sidekick,' etc. and so on. Leading a group of people including Conan O'Brien, Saddam Hussein, and Hitler against my mother would be all kinds of insane and awesome.
Shit, that'd be sweet!

boiled goose

good with gravy
People,

Please put online leaderboards on the comments! (they are missing from many wii games that could really use em! madworld, overkill, and REUC)
online coop would be nice as well...

dismemberments would be nice as me.
branching paths as in UC.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
m3k said:
hey does anyone know what uc sold? us, japan, worldwide? just curious what capcom considers a success and would make them make a sequel
Capcom is reporting that they've shipped 1.15 million copies of UC. Japanese sales are at about 275k. US and European sales should be at about 400k each, leaving room unsold copies and margin-of-error.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
TunaLover said:
I want more breakable doors too, I just play UC again and realized there at least 2 new rooms from behind that doors.
no kidding. UC is easily the most environmentally-interactive light-gun shooter ever made. you could easily miss 1/4 to 1/3rd of the game if you were not systematic enough. if DC upped the number of critical hit zones (critical hits AKA head-shots in UC made little sense outside of a display of marksmanship) DC could be _the_ light-gun shooter of all time.

titiklabingapat said:
There is no reason not to have both. And noone will force you to play or even acknowledge a Wii RE5 port if you dont want to.

But there's no reason to have both either. I'm looking forward to playing a new RE light gun game. I don't need a dumbed down RE5 port.

FMVs seem to be a definite step up from the first game.
Also, where is your helmet, Claire? Safety always comes first.

2a0jaza.png

3dfnb.png

198h1f.png

2pte1yu.png

wlznex.png

nbbrsh.png

2zpts9d.png

246ottu.png

2wlzn8h.png

k2b68j.png

Also, you can see the character reloading the weapon this time around. Salt in the wound for those caring. :D

2rpeb5x.gif

-PXG-

I'm getting a Killer 7 vibe here, in regards to the game play of course.

EDIT

I just say the .gif. Is this on rails? Can you move, but only move on a path, a la Killer 7?

Vinci said:
So like a Mad Libs RPG? I dig it, if you could answer a couple questions at the beginning a la Earthbound and generate a plot based on those variables that is somewhat different every time, it'd be awesome. Make it like 10 hours long so it's short and sweet but very replayable.

I will say this about Claire, she's probably the least attractive RE character. Great ass and all, but she just looks a tad homely in all the things she's in.

Davey Cakes

Mr. Pointy said:
I will say this about Claire, she's probably the least attractive RE character. Great ass and all, but she just looks a tad homely in all the things she's in.
Personally, I prefer her looks over pretty much everyone except Jill.

Ashley was "bleh" and Sheva's just trying too hard.

Dascu

-PXG- said:
I'm getting a Killer 7 vibe here, in regards to the game play of course.

EDIT

I just say the .gif. Is this on rails? Can you move, but only move on a path, a la Killer 7?
On-rails as in lightgun shooter on-rails. Your speed is set, you can't explore freely like in Killer7.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Frencherman said:
FMV Cutscenes are so cheap theese days.... Is it that hard to make them in-game after Resident Evil 4?
It's the easy way out. Their high budget RE5 used entirely real time cutscenes, but Umbrella Chronicles had a mix (often using touched up in-engine scenes for the source). Lower budget games often sport lots of cheap looking video sequences, I've found.

Dascu

-PXG- said:
Closest thing to the next Killer7 regarding playstyle and controlmethod seems to be Another Code R Wii. From what I've seen, it's on-rails but you can stop at any time, change viewpoints, choose paths, etc.

Nemesis_

Ookami-kun said:
So any idea what is the coverage of the game? Only RE2?
I'm not sure how much of this is general heresay and what is actually true, but apparently the game will focus on AT LEAST RE2 and RE Code Veronica, since they are both Claire centered story arcs. Similarly, many people are assuming Degeneration will be included as well, but realistically I don't think it would work unless they retconned the shit out of it, considering there's only really the zombie encounter at the start and the Curtis battle towards the end.

Seeing that shot of Claire on the staircase and people mentioning Killer7's control scheme has made me really want something like that to happen. Alas, it won't. =(

cvxfreak

Bumping this thread with two new fairly important pieces of information.

First off, according to The Horror is Alive we'll be seeing new media and information on April 29 at the Captivate 09 event in Monte Carlo. Masachika Kawata will show off how the Wiimote is used and the cover system.

Also, according to a Destructoid Interview with DC Douglas, the voice actor for Wesker in Umbrella Chronicles and RE5, he'll be back for the Darkside Chronicles as well. Wesker doesn't appear in RE2, and he speaks of his work being a "flashback," so he's definitely in it for the CODE: Veronica chapter and maybe even an RE4 one. Hopefully there'll be new content as well, although from the sound of the interview, Wesker's role isn't going to be so huge this time around (rightfully so, especially after RE5).

cvxfreak

ezekial45 said:
Does it really need a cover system?

Wow, maybe this would confirm an RE4 chapter after all. That's the only game in the series aside from RE5 that had enemies with weapons. :lol

Actually, it might make for some really neat boss fights. Rather than having to shoot random things away, the cover system (which may be context-sensitive) could allow us to hide from debris and such.

darkwings

Banned
I thought RE:UC was great fun actually. I always tried to get the best rank at all chapters, plus the story parts didnt disappoint.

ezekial45

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Wow, maybe this would confirm an RE4 chapter after all. That's the only game in the series aside from RE5 that had enemies with weapons. :lol

Actually, it might make for some really neat boss fights. Rather than having to shoot random things away, the cover system (which may be context-sensitive) could allow us to hide from debris and such.

Yes, i know the previous games had a some form of contextual cover. After playing through UC, a cover "system" just seems weird. Especially, when most of the enemies you'll fight are gonna be zombies anyway.

It just sounds weird to me.

EDIT: Sorry, i misread your post. Maybe, i suppose theres a good chance of it being in there.

Top Bottom