• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D Announced For 3DS (Separate From Revelations)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
By the way, is it me or does Chris look noticeably less beefy than RE5?

DSmalls84

If I get a 3ds I will most likely pick up this and Revelations. Always been a fan of RE and even liked 5, although it seems most people hated it.

XPE

I wonder if this will be a retail release or a download, they would need to add a lot to justify a retail release of this game.

Davey Cakes

I actually remember saying in one of the RE threads (can't remember if it was the "plays the RE series" or "RE4 LTTP" one) that they should just separate Mercenaries as its own game so that the main RE game doesn't have to focus on it as an extra feature. One of my issues with RE5 is that it put so much darn focus into Mercenaries that it felt like the game was half a main quest and half an unlockable mode.

I'm seeing this as a good thing, honestly. Mercenaries deserves to be expanded into its own thing, especially if this means that the main RE game can be pure RE.

XPE said:
I wonder if this will be a retail release or a download, they would need to add a lot to justify a retail release of this game.

Think it would be a bit hefty for a download, maybe a budget release?

I do like the mercenaries mini game but thats all it is, a mini game, if it was tied to revelations like you could transfer money/outfits/special weapons it would increase the games value to me quite a bit, highly doubt they will be connectable tho.

i don't know about anyone else, but one type of game i play more than any other type of game on my DSi is pinball because of its highscore focus and its relatively short play sessions.

the mercenaries is perfect for a hand held.

i would play the shit out of this, so i don't care that it was once an unlockable mode. 10 levels, 10+ characters, online co-op... yeah i'll be just fine spending my $35 to $45 dollars.

a RE3 Mercenaries remake included would be amazing if it was also in RE:merc 3D

other then that, i will be so broke if this and Revelations come out on launch day :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
plagiarize said:
i don't know about anyone else, but one type of game i play more than any other type of game on my DSi is pinball because of its highscore focus and its relatively short play sessions.

My thoughts exactly.

As lame as I think it is that its a spruced up port of the Mercenaries modes in RE4 and RE5, I know that games like this are the ones I keep coming back to for shurt bursts of play. I still do it with the Wii version.

FoneBone

Looks like something hacked together with RE:Revelations tech in order to make the launch window (Revelations sure won't).

FoneBone said:
Looks like something hacked together with RE:Revelations tech in order to make the launch window (Revelations sure won't).

Yeah, smash it out as a teaser for revelations, I suppose I would be more than happy sitting there playing this on launch day.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Lyphen said:
Problem is, it won't control as well as RE4's...which was just pure bliss.
Why not? RE4 only used one analog stick...

Screens and footage look a little heavy on the RE5 content... better have all the RE4 stuff, too. Some bonus stuff like environments and characters from older REs would be nice also, and really help to justify it as a unique standalone product. (On that note, please please please scrap RE5 Jill and use REmake's model.)

I hope it employs RE4's scoring as well, it seemed like the solo scores were much lower in RE5 Mercs, and the combo windows seemed a bit stricter.

Mercenaries as a standalone game should be pretty awesome. You've got, at the very least, 12 levels and 14 characters not counting costumes. That's if they don't add shit, which they will, since Claire's shadow is in the poster and Capcom/Cavia/TOSE/Blue Castle/Ninja Theory could scrounge level assets and characters from the Wii light gun games.

Since it's basically a co-op score attack game, there won't be a huge fuss over character balance or broken shit appearing.

This is also using MTF Mobile isn't it? Doesn't look quite as good as Revelations, but it still looks good, I could see this being a launch title, budget priced, or both even!

wrowa

Hero of Legend said:
This is also using MTF Mobile isn't it? Doesn't look quite as good as Revelations, but it still looks good, I could see this being a launch title, budget priced, or both even!
It probably looks worse because it has to display area's that are larger than the small corridors of Revelation's ship.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mr. Pointy said:
there won't be a huge fuss over character balance or broken shit appearing.

LOOOOOL, everyone using Wesker because he's the only way to get SS ranks.

If you don't give a shit about the high-score requirements/SS rank or the character unlocks, sure. But they really should balance the characters to where they don't have one stand-out one that everyone uses because it's the easy-mode character for scores.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Gah, I hope it's like $20. It won't be, but I can hope, right?

Love mercenaries, but putting this out separately screams milkage.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
TheSeks said:

If you don't give a shit about the high-score requirements/SS rank or the character unlocks, sure. But they really should balance the characters to where they don't have one stand-out one that everyone uses because it's the easy-mode character for scores.
Hey now, unlocking characters that make you never want to touch the previous ones is one of the hallmark traits of Mercs.

Actually, RE5 had a fairly decent balance (until Mercs Reunion, anyway). But I don't know, I think there is an appeal to struggling with one character and then unlocking someone way more powerful as a reward. For instance, I thought it was very disappointing that RE4 Wesker was way more powerful in Mercs than RE5 Wesker, considering all the teleporting Matrix shit he was doing in the main game of 5.

All I gotta say is that Hunk better fuckin' have his godly neck snap.

Luigiv

wrowa said:
It probably looks worse because it has to display area's that are larger than the small corridors of Revelation's ship.
Yep, not to mention that this game will need to be able to handle up to 15+ enemies on screen whilst RER gives the impression of smaller onslaughts.

USD

TheSeks said:

Hardly. Your highest scores will mostly likely come from Wesker, but you can SS with all the characters fairly easy.

And Mercs Reunion does have vastly superior character balance over vanilla Mercs.

olimpia84

I used to be addicted to the Mercs game in RE4; when RE5 came out I was already tired of it so I didn't really play it a whole lot. However, being the RE whore I am, I'll probably end up getting this.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I am so in. Mercenaries was an awesome part of RE4. Got myself the hand cannon and it never felt tedious. It was also the best part about RE5 for me. Hopefully in addition to Chris, Jill, and HUNK, they include Barry, Sheva, Leon, Claire, Krauser, Ada, Tofu, and of course Wesker.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Maybe there's a chance this could include Versus. I've been playing it a lot lately and while I don't like it, it's strangely addicting.
Fix up and refine rules and controls in Versus and it would be a great complement to Mercenaries.

Xav

I always figured Capcom should make a stand alone Mercenaries game since it's so good. Now all we need is both local and online multi-player and I'm in.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
olimpia84 said:
Did I miss anything? Both RE titles are the RE4/5 type, with the character in front of you.
They said that Revelations was more horror oriented than Action.

MisterHero

Sadist said:
Thanks Nirolak

ieo5kn.jpg
Is that top shadow Barry?

YESSS

Sectus

I made a picture trying to match up the silhouttes.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/Resident-Evil-The-Mercenaries0-00-00-00_1.jpg - Original version
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/Resident-Evil-The-Mercenaries0-00-00-00.jpg - My version

Some credits go to DampRevil on RE forums as he spotted most of the poses.

Most of them matches up insanely well, so I think all of them (except for maybe Claire) are accurate. Since Capcom used such recognizable poses, they must have intended for them to be found by fans.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Sectus said:
I made a picture trying to match up the silhouttes.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/Resident-Evil-The-Mercenaries0-00-00-00_1.jpg - Original version
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/Resident-Evil-The-Mercenaries0-00-00-00.jpg - My version

Some credits go to DampRevil on RE forums as he spotted most of the poses.

Most of them matches up insanely well, so I think all of them (except for maybe Claire) are accurate. Since Capcom used such recognizable poses, they must have intended for them to be found by fans.

I think you guys missed one. there is one character behind Claire

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ILikeFeet said:
I think they just turned the gun on her silhouette a bit to make it stick out, since otherwise it goes behind the circle.

Sectus

ILikeFeet said:
That's just her silhouette not matching up properly. It's the only pose I couldn't find a 100% matching picture for. Besides the arms, it does match up very well though.

Sectus

Crewnh said:
will you be able to move and shoot
There's no info about that, but if you look closely on the video footage, you can see that Hunk moves while pumping his shotgun. That wasn't possible in RE5.

Top Bottom