• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D Announced For 3DS (Separate From Revelations)

MechaX

Poor HUNK is doomed to star in RE Minigame offshoots forever.

Also, I hope it has some RE4 mercenaries love. Waterworld 4lyfe.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MechaX said:

Since there were only four Mercenaries maps in RE4 I cant see them not porting them all. You can see the Castle map in this shot;

res42gsc.jpg

Bizzyb

Banned
MechaX said:

As I recall, the trailer for Re: Revelations featured HUNK as well. So there is still a chance he will have a significantly (and possibly even playable) role in Revelations!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Also, am I the only one who thinks the Merchant from Resident Evil 4 would be the ultimate unlockable character? He could have access to every weapon in the game and say killer catchphrases (and his costume is pretty pimp as well)

Put him in the game as an ultimate reward, Capcom :)

This game better have Claire Redfield. I mean between RE4 and RE5 we have every other main character in Mercenaries. Hell it even needs Billy Carlos and Steve we will have a complete roster for all the mainline games.

Davey Cakes

They should just go all-out with the characters and everything. Take everyone from RE4 and RE5+DLC, then just add a few extras like Billy, Carlos, Steve, and Claire.

Rash said:
They should just go all-out with the characters and everything. Take everyone from RE4 and RE5+DLC, then just add a few extras like Billy, Carlos, Steve, and Claire.
Looks like Claire's shadow with the third crosshairs:

ieo5kn.jpg

seady

As a multiplayer focused game that use some old assets, I have a feeling that this game will be out sooner than Revelation - soon as in "Launch Title" soon.

If this comes out after Revelation, they would not have to announce this so soon. They should also position this game like a Left 4 Dead x SOCOM x Smash Bros. type game.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Reminder:
Sectus said:
I made a picture trying to match up the silhouttes.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/Resident-Evil-The-Mercenaries0-00-00-00_1.jpg - Original version
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/TzarSectus/Resident-Evil-The-Mercenaries0-00-00-00.jpg - My version

Some credits go to DampRevil on RE forums as he spotted most of the poses.

Most of them matches up insanely well, so I think all of them (except for maybe Claire) are accurate. Since Capcom used such recognizable poses, they must have intended for them to be found by fans.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Nirolak said:
Hmm, seems people don't like reading.

http://www.abload.de/img/remercs089dx.png/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/remercso9m5.png[/IMG
[/QUOTE]OMG! Barry Burton all over my face

Thunder Monkey said:
Capcom seems to have a good grasp of the 3DS already.

Konami too. Wonder when Nintendo will catch up.
I doubt it's a question of talent or knowledge, but more expense.

Although, thinking about it, third parties' knowledge of HD engines and shaders do give them a leg up here. If Capcom were not able to port MT Framework, then RE would look a lot worse.

AceBandage said:
Within a year, once their studios learn how to use modern shaders.
:p
I still can't believe a multi-billion dollar company wouldn't have their teams toying with modern tech since they'd sooner or later have to use it or derivatives of it.

It just boggles my mind.

ShockingAlberto said:
I doubt it's a question of talent or knowledge, but more expense.
This I could see.
ShockingAlberto said:
Although, thinking about it, third parties' knowledge of HD engines and shaders do give them a leg up here. If Capcom were not able to port MT Framework, then RE would look a lot worse.
That's true.

sfried

Mako_Drug said:
So there is no multiplayer in Revelations? Doesn't this sound like they just took what would normally be one product and split it into two?
Revelations might be actually trying to steer the franchise back into its horror roots by playing only as one character at a time, so I'm guessing The Mercenaries is the answer for all of those who simply love the multiplayer aspects of RE5.

Neiteio said:
So...

1. HUNK
  2. Chris
  3. Jill
  4. Leon
  5. Claire
  6. Sheva
  7. Ada
  8. Barry
  9. Rebecca
  10. Billy
  11. Krauser
  12. Wesker
How would you like dem apples?
any apples that include billy and becky are the kind of apples i really like.

ILikeFeet

Banned
sfried said:
Revelations might be actually trying to steer the franchise back into its horror roots by playing only as one character at a time, so I'm guessing The Mercenaries is the answer for all of those who simply love the multiplayer aspects of RE5.

Capcom confirmed Revelations is "survivor horror" while Mercenaries is "survival action". so yea, if you enjoyed the old games, Revelations. if you prefer multiplayer action, Mercenaries

Kard8p3

ILikeFeet said:
Capcom confirmed Revelations is "survivor horror" while Mercenaries is "survival action". so yea, if you enjoyed the old games, Revelations. if you prefer multiplayer action, Mercenaries

Or if you like both give Capcom all your money.

Davey Cakes

Kard8p3 said:
Or if you like both give Capcom all your money.
Which is exactly why I like that we're getting two separate games. That allows RE fans three different choices. Those of us who like "core RE" can stick with Revelations, those of us who like "action/arcade RE" can go with Mercenaries, and those who like both can get both if they so choose.

What's even better about the separation is that now each game can be its own pure focus, which means Mercenaries will be bigger and better than it was as purely an extra mode, and the main game (Revelations) can be tighter and more survival/horror-emphasized.

PoliceCop

Banned
ILikeFeet said:
nope. Capcom debunked that rumor

That was bs. Do you think Capcom is going to advertise their hot new game, one that sets the graphical standard on new hardware, as a port of a game that never came out for a mostly dead system?

KevinCow

Banned
ILikeFeet said:

But what if I like RE4 and 5, but never cared for the Mercenaries modes in them, and also never cared for the pre-4 games?

I guess Capcom doesn't love me. :(

Bizzyb

Banned
Rash said:
Which is exactly why I like that we're getting two separate games. That allows RE fans three different choices. Those of us who like "core RE" can stick with Revelations, those of us who like "action/arcade RE" can go with Mercenaries, and those who like both can get both if they so choose.

What's even better about the separation is that now each game can be its own pure focus, which means Mercenaries will be bigger and better than it was as purely an extra mode, and the main game (Revelations) can be tighter and more survival/horror-emphasized.

Or they could have, you know, included it in just one game. That way you get both either way and you pay less.

KevinCow said:
But what if I like RE4 and 5, but never cared for the Mercenaries modes in them, and also never cared for the pre-4 games?

I guess Capcom doesn't love me. :(

I don't expect RE: Revelations to be that similar to the pre-4 games. I think what we'll see is an RE4/RE5 style title, with the same over-the-shoulder camera and presentation but with far more of a focus on horror, stripping back the balls-out action of RE5 and moving back toward RE4's more balanced feel.

Mercenaries seems the most likely candidate for being the PSP game - or at least the game that was in planning. It would seem to be an ideal local multiplayer title and would have fitted quite neatly on the PSP in that mold.

Cosmonaut X said:
I don't expect RE: Revelations to be that similar to the pre-4 games. I think what we'll see is an RE4/RE5 style title, with the same over-the-shoulder camera and presentation but with far more of a focus on horror, stripping back the balls-out action of RE5 and moving back toward RE4's more balanced feel.

Mercenaries seems the most likely candidate for being the PSP game - or at least the game that was in planning. It would seem to be an ideal local multiplayer title and would have fitted quite neatly on the PSP in that mold.

RE5 in tight corridors and severely limited ammo is about all we need to get back on track. if they keep the better aiming mechanic i can see it being awesome.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Krauser Kat said:
RE5 in tight corridors with hordes of zombies slowly coming at you, pushing you back towards a room with no exits and many entry points for them, and severely limited ammo is about all we need to get back on track. if they keep the better aiming mechanic i can see it being awesome.
Fixed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Green Scar said:
Honestly? I see this game being bundled with Revelations, and the bundle going for $50/60.

I see Mercenaries making launch day and Revelations coming a couple of months later.

Green Scar said:
Honestly? I see this game being bundled with Revelations, and the bundle going for $50/60.
maybe, but only because this will have already been out for ages by the time Revelations ships.

Davey Cakes

Bizzyb said:
Or they could have, you know, included it in just one game. That way you get both either way and you pay less.
Yeah, but my point is that, while you pay more to get both, you're probably getting more out of both. Dedicated RE+Dedicated Mercenaries > RE game with extra Mercenaries Mode.

And if you're somebody who likes pure RE and not Mercenaries, or vice versa, you get a choice to pay less because you only want one of them.

I think it works out well. Pay more = get more, pay less = get less (but you get what you want). There's no middle price where you pay and have to compromise each experience all for the sake of getting them both on one disc.

PoliceCop

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:

Trust me, you're wrong on this. Which game looks like it has been in development longer?

plagiarize said:
maybe, but only because this will have already been out for ages by the time Revelations ships.

Oh? I didn't figure they had separate launch dates.

Yeah, it'd nice to have this for launch, but I'd bet on Capcom having SSFIV3D as their launch game and saving this for later.

EatChildren said:
I see Mercenaries making launch day and Revelations coming a couple of months later.

Bingo.

It's a score attack game (apparently) re-using assets from previous Mercenaries games, with some expansion on modes and content, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be in there nice and early to establish the series on the platform.

Revelations, although again using a familiar framework and able to use existing assets, will require a bit more time in the oven, but should still hit within the first year.

PoliceCop said:
Trust me, you're wrong on this. Which game looks like it has been in development longer?

Fair point.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I know I'm going to play the hell out of Mercenaries. I love score attack games. Old arcade kid at heart and all that.

Top Bottom