• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps (PC/PS4, $30, Unity 5, 2016), competetive MP shooter

Senoculum

Another RE spinoff that I'm excited to try. As a fan of the lore, characters, music, and monster designs, I'm all for this - and at this point - sims, RPGs, and pachinko. Capcom, gimme more.

I don't know why people are up in arms; RE7 is still coming, REmake 2 is still coming... all's good in the hood. Shit, people really hate fun. Resident Evil has my favourite zombie lore, so any titles in that universe is more appealing to me than a zombie mode in Call of Duty.

LUXURY

Looks like Operation Racoon City 2. Trash. I'd rather have Outbreak 1 and 2... Or even 3. Not this garbage.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Another RE spinoff that I'm excited to try. As a fan of the lore, characters, music, and monster designs, I'm all for this - and at this point - sims, RPGs, and pachinko. Capcom, gimme more.

I don't know why people are up in arms; RE7 is still coming, REmake 2 is still coming... all's good in the hood. Shit, people really hate fun. Resident Evil has my favourite zombie lore, so any titles in that universe is more appealing to me than a zombie mode in Call of Duty.

I am disappointed because I wanted single player game, not an online team shooter. As I said, this might be good but people expected something else. Presenting only one game for a limited audience was not a good approach. At least hint for others.

Raijinken

I just don't understand what they were thinking when they were developing this. If they wanted to make a competitive multiplayer shooter for the series' 20th anniversary then why not have it focus on all of the memorable characters throughout the series rather than generic Umbrella soliders again? It wouldn't need to be canon, it could basically be an updated version of Resident Evil 5 and 6's versus/survivor mode and they could just keep supporting it with DLC for characters, costumes, stages, weapons, music, etc.

resident_evil_characters_wallpaper_by_trivialjohn-d86yird.jpg

I'll still keep an eye on this game but if there are no signs of playable characters like Chris, Jill, Ada, Leon and the others then I'll definitely pass on this.

Well ok, no it didn't.

But I can feel it in my heart, REmake 2 is compromised!

I highly doubt REmake 2 is compromised. I think they are making spinoff titles to appeal to different gamers. I'm curious that it seems that this game is being internally developed by Capcom rather than farmed out to a questionable 3rd party team like ORC was.

What kind of bullshit?

I've been wishing for a type of game like this for a long time... and yet it delivers with some random ass generic characters? Set in the "Resident Evil universe", like wat brah? As of now it looks like a generic 3rd person shooter with zombies... could've at least revealed it with something that RE fans recognize?

And give us the classic characters to play as jfc. Hopefully other modes will be more fun bc staph.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Starting the trailer with the 20th anniversary logo and then putting "a fast paced team action shooter" on screen is like spitting the fans in the face. I find it hard to believe that this was not done on full purpose...

Well, at least Capcom is doing a REmake 2....

I don't think there's anything wrong with branching out and it is just a 30 dollar game. I'm just disappointed they didn't make the playable characters heroes and villains from past games. Like had you shown me a team like this.

I easily would be okay with dropping 30 dollars, depending on hands-on impressions. This could be a really fun game but the generic umbrella soldiers are a real turn off.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What kind of bullshit?

I've been wishing for a type of game like this for a long time... and yet it delivers with some random ass generic characters? Set in the "Resident Evil universe", like wat brah? As of now it looks like a generic 3rd person shooter with zombies... could've at least revealed it with something that RE fans recognize?

And give us the classic characters to play as jfc. Hopefully other modes will be more fun bc staph.

I have a feeling they're saving to show off the more RE stuff a bit later to build interest. The Village from RE4 and a much bigger Public Assembly from RE5 can briefly be seen in the trailer, and there's a quick shot of what looks like some different character than what we see (though too quick to tell, but they look like they're not wearing a helmet for one), so I guess we'll see more as time goes on.

Also, to bring another ORC comparison, the older RE characters were't announced for the multiplayer modes until close to launch I recall.

And give us the classic characters to play as jfc.

Maybe they'll add in classic characters as DLC or just haven't revealed the full character roster yet. Hopefully the latter.

The classic characters are practically the only RE thing of interest remaining to me ever since the franchise became a shooterfest. They're the main reason I still try to keep up with the series, just 'cause I'm so attached to characters like Claire and Chris, even if I lament that these aren't scary games anymore.

Yet here they just replaced them with a bunch of generic SWAT grunts. lol.

Grief.exe

I don't see why they didn't use the mechanics set in RE6 and use the MT Framework engine to cut down on development cost and time. The latter leads me to believe this was outsourced.

Jawmuncher

Yeah I have a feeling in the coming months we're going to see more RE fanservice for this.
The trailer already briefly showed RE4 and RE5 levels. So I fully expect some characters from the series as well as stuff like nemesis. I think capcom knows, a good way for this to sell well would be to please the fans with that stuff.

Lime

I don't think there's anything wrong with branching out and it is just a 30 dollar game. I'm just disappointed they didn't make the playable characters heroes and villains from past games. Like had you shown me a team like this.

I easily would be okay with dropping 30 dollars, depending on hands-on impressions. This could be a really fun game but the generic umbrella soldiers are a real turn off.

Fan culture of Resident Evil is so cool. I seriously love that people are so attached to the characters.

Jawmuncher

Fan culture of Resident Evil is so cool. I seriously love that people are so attached to the characters.

It's part of the reason I don't see capcom rebooting the main series anytime new.
A new series with new characters? perhaps, but they know how big the fanbase is with these characters.

This game better have finishers. Best part of RE5 and RE6 multiplayer is the way you can finish off the opponents. It's satisfying as shit.

NjhRomn.gif

I have a feeling they're saving to show off the more RE stuff a bit later to build interest. The Village from RE4 and a much bigger Public Assembly from RE5 can briefly be seen in the trailer, and there's a quick shot of what looks like some different character than what we see (though too quick to tell, but they look like they're not wearing a helmet for one), so I guess we'll see more as time goes on.

Also, to bring another ORC comparison, the older RE characters were't announced for the multiplayer modes until close to launch I recall.

Where can you see Village and PA?

I really hope they put an option to choose your character. This is a type of franchise where choosing the character you wanna play as makes a difference. Not like TLOU MP where you just get a random ass character...

I feel like the RE MP games started off strong. RE5 versus was amazing when you realized it's full potential. It was original. RE6 got even more improved but they removed alot of great things from RE5 and even added worse things that made it broken. I feel like with this game they could just make it generic and try to borrow from TLOU. I want something fun and outrageous like RE5 and RE6 but balanced... I want alot from the previous RE mp and not just a completely revamped system. As of now it looks boring, but it still holds my interest because it's RE.

Jill please.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This game better have finishers. Best part of RE5 and RE6 multiplayer is the way you can finish off the opponents. It's satisfying as shit.

NjhRomn.gif

Where can you see Village and PA?

I really hope they put an option to choose your character. This is a type of franchise where choosing the character you wanna play as makes a difference. Not like TLOU MP where you just get a random ass character...

I feel like the RE MP games started off strong. RE5 versus was amazing when you realized it's full potential. It was original. RE6 got even more improved but they removed alot of great things from RE5 and even added worse things that made it broken. I feel like with this game they could just make it generic and try to borrow from TLOU. I want something fun and outrageous like RE5 and RE6 but balanced... I want alot from the previous RE mp and not just a completely revamped system. As of now it looks boring, but it still holds my interest because it's RE.

Jill please.

In the shots where they show a lot of gameplay all at once flashing by, the whole "Join the Corps!" message at the end. To post part of a post I posted few pages back:

So, some observations and location break-down. Using Gyazo as on a crappy laptop, so apologize these images will disappear in a few days from this post.

First, some gameplay observations:

-The trailer shows this and one of the weapons confirms this, but there is a way to knock enemies over and then stomp them to death. There is a crawling zombie also seen early in the trailer, and a zombie with its arm shot off, meaning there's probably zombie dismemberment in the game.

-With the above, the sliding/rolling from RE6 appears to be part of the game's mechanics as seen in the trailer, as well as crawling and crouching.

-While this is a competitive game, there's either some form of progress and some strange teamwork in the game. There's a shot of the team climbing a ladder and part of it is broken, with another team member at the top reaching out his hand to pull them up, and team members opening up a shutter together to let the others through.

-There may be some sort of infected status/zombie turning in the game. One of the quick cuts we see a player running away in the running animation we see them doing, with another team member stumbling towards them like a zombie.

-Can deflect a melee strike with a melee strike.

-The melee weapon, "The Brainer", can be used to scale and climb walls and hang from edges.

-You can raise a shutter and shoot with your other hand.

-Destructible environment props and some lights seem to be destructible.

-While in most of the trailer we never see anyone with either a differing helmet, in this quick shot you can see either a different helmet or the helmet off, either meaning customization or different characters:
a78f6f28789adb41cb27313c833694fb.png

---

Now some more locale spotting.

-Firstly, I hardly think I need to take a picture of this as its the main locale shown in the trailer, but we have our underground tunnel area, has a few floors it seems and some rooms. A staircase is seen, as well as areas to climb up with the Brainer, ladders, shutters, windows, and the like.

-The Village from RE4 seems to be a playable location in the game:
a9b58b2c16e106484ff7c37eaad9e8ed.png

-There's an area that seems to be based on the Public Assembly from RE5, but expanded with new areas and much larger:
6f77d8ad02a075b1ffac60ac94dc96fa.png
f34a3635ca8e9258e51d15105f68db4c.png
586cf04fdf4e10844f70e650d9ba0982.png
9fa2e2544c35572a365f25802def9b9b.png

-Is this a boat?
628fed60fac4aaa682cbc0f8b4da5799.png

-There's some place with the Tricell logo:
b113c9e922c77af07fd18c2a3720c05c.png

Neff

It's part of the reason I don't see capcom rebooting the main series anytime new.

Precisely. Anytime anyone calls for a reboot, they underestimate -or are simply unaware- of how invested RE fans are in this universe's continuity and cast, and how iconic they are. It's one of the reasons these generic faceless soldiers are rubbing folks the wrong way.

It's official, this franchise has gone to shit! I have zero hope of REmake2 being any good now. What a shame this used to be my fave series from the original all the way up to 5, but since playing 6 I can tell whoever is incharge of making these games is an absolute idiot. Revelations 2 was ok but felt like a budget title which is funny because although RE games are campy they are far from being low budget, infact it was Capcom's premier AAA franchise for a long time.

Jawmuncher

It's official, this franchise has gone to shit! I have zero hope of REmake2 being any good now. What a shame this used to be my fave series from the original all the way up to 5, but since playing 6 I can tell whoever is incharge of making these games is an absolute idiot. Revelations 2 was ok but felt like a budget title which is funny because although RE games are campy they are far from being low budget, infact it was Capcom's premier AAA franchise for a long time.

Dunno why people are freaking out about spin-offs when capcom has been giving us old school style remasters. Yeah I can understand some doubt for RE2make, but I really doubt it's going to become something like Umbrella Corps.

Seyavesh

Dunno why people are freaking out about spin-offs when capcom has been giving us old school style remasters. Yeah I can understand some doubt for RE2make, but I really doubt it's going to become something like Umbrella Corps.

you don't understand, because gun survivor 2 exists resident evil 4 clearly is going to be shit!

They're clearly cash grabs, I don't see any reason for this crap to be using the Resident Evil name, but then again the name has gone to shit so it seems a fitting end. Carry on then...

Seyavesh

They're clearly cash grabs, I don't see any reason for this crap to be using the Resident Evil name, but then again the name has gone to shit so it seems a fitting end. Carry on then...

wanna know something funny
technically it doesn't use the resident evil name, it's nowhere in the title
http://www.capcom-unity.com/neilgortz/blog/2015/09/15/umbrella-corps-announced-at-tgs

but i know what you mean, resident evil gaiden had no real reason to use the name either, that's why RE4 will be the worst game ever

Alo0oy

Banned
One question, why did they omit Code Veronica but have Zero there? I know CV was the worst "traditional" survival horror entry in the franchise, but Zero is the most irrelevant entry in the mainline franchise, including the shootybang trilogy.

Alienous

As long as the mechanics borrow heavily from RE6 it could be fun.

Hopefully the more free they feel to pump action into a spin-off the more comfortable they can be with making RE7 a Resident Evil game.

Hip Hop

It's an obvious spin off and yet people are still getting bent out of shape.

Really enjoy MP myself, so curious to see how this turns out.

Vamphuntr

I take it that since it's using Unity and not MT Frameworks that this is outsourced to someone? Curious to try it, it should price collapse on PC quickly.

lol yes. Plus Chris's Super slow Haymaker is awesome. and Wesker's move where he sticks his hand through the persons body. xD

LOL! Chris' haymaker omg... so slow. In free for all you could always recover before he hit and pick something up and he'd miss and you'd still have enough time to shoot him with the sg and hopefully kill him if he was damaged enough xD

Wanderer5

Happy 20th anniversary RE! Here a crappy looking shooter to celebrate!

Well on a serious note, meh shall see. Maybe it be fun in the end, but the trailer ain't showing it.

Instead of Monster Hunter/RE7/DMC5 for PS4 they announce this

kay.

Like that was going to happen.

I mean it could be hecka fun without us knowing it but I think a majority of the fanbase likes fighting the monsters over humans/stuff that shoots guns back.

Now if it was deathmatch, with like swarms of zombies and BOWs at the same time... kinda interested.

Nerrel

It's an obvious spin off and yet people are still getting bent out of shape.

It's a spin off that actively contradicts the appeal of the series and diverts Capcom's resources away from actual Resident Evil games. RE5 and RE6 are all the evidence you need of how this action pandering ruins main entries too.

It had seemed like after the increasingly negative critic and fan reactions to RE5, ORC, and especially RE6 that Capcom was finally getting the point and going back toward survival horror. Rev2 and REmaster/0HD seemed to indicate they were on the right track and that they finally understood what most of us want from the series. This spin off proves that no, they're still just as interested in turning RE into a shitty third person shooter as they ever were. More, even.

Top Bottom