• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps (PC/PS4, $30, Unity 5, 2016), competetive MP shooter

Reminds me of the late 00's when Japanese devs where trying to get super western and failing miserably.

What are you doing Capcom?

They're still there. It's 2015 and Capcom, one of the greatest singleplayer devs of all time, is still putting out competitive shooters and MMOs chasing after that CoD and WoW money.

They probably wouldn't be in such dire financial straits if they would just put out a solid, content-rich singleplayer game that wasn't a remaster.

It's a spin off that actively contradicts the appeal of the series and diverts Capcom's resources away from actual Resident Evil games. RE5 and RE6 are all the evidence you need of how this action pandering ruins main entries too.

RE5 and 6 are Capcom's most successful games of all time. If you think they're going to abandon making action-based Resident Evil games you were sorely mistaken. There have been just as many if not more pure-action Resident Evil games now than there are horror ones. The series has two different audiences and Capcom is trying to appeal to those audiences with different products.

I personally have little to no interest in playing a competitive multiplayer shooter, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it because I recognize it's not a game for me. People should stop being so sore that a game that isn't meant for them doesn't appeal to their tastes.

Just getting this info.

I mean....it's heartbreaking to see what this franchise has become in the last few releases.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27970-1398995200-17.gif
Rev 2 was a great game...
As was HD REmaster
as REmake 2 and Zero REmaster will be

G-Fex

RE5 and 6 are Capcom's most successful games of all time. If you think they're going to abandon making action-based Resident Evil games you were sorely mistaken. There have been just as many if not more pure-action Resident Evil games now than there are horror ones. The series has two different audiences and Capcom is trying to appeal to those audiences with different products.

I personally have little to no interest in playing a competitive multiplayer shooter, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it because I recognize it's not a game for me. People should stop being so sore that a game that isn't meant for them doesn't appeal to their tastes.

NO THIS ISNT A RETURNING TO THE ROOTS ITS JUST NOT FAIR.

You're right.

Elija2

I'm cautiously optimistic. I love the combat mechanics in the recent RE games so if they just expand on them then I can see this being a fun game. I'm just kinda bummed that it's multiplayer-only because the online community is probably gonna be dead in a year.

HeelPower

I don't see much of a problem.At least its a $30 title.

Feel a bit sorry for capcom as this will likely not succeed given the harsh negativity.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm cautiously optimistic. I love the combat mechanics in the recent RE games so if they just expand on them then I can see this being a fun game. I'm just kinda bummed that it's multiplayer-only because the online community is probably gonna be dead in a year.

On PC I think the player community should be fine. The RE series has some pretty dedicated PC players, and all RE games have people playing on PC all the time.

At this very moment, recorded at 10:49 PM PST on a Tuesday night, these are the current stats of all the RE online games, noting all of them are past their prime by a long shot and this is at night in America on a Tuesday evening:

The left number is current players, the right number is the average number of players over the last 30 days:
d7317efd35e82cca49bf6206926148cf.png

Not bad at all, considering.And those numbers are higher during the day, weekends, all that. There's always a few games going. If Umbrella Corps is good, I bet there will always be at least a few games going on PC even way past its prime.

Elija2

On PC I think the player community should be fine. The RE series has some pretty dedicated PC players, and all RE games have people playing on PC all the time.

At this very moment, recorded at 10:49 PM PST on a Tuesday night, these are the current stats of all the RE online games, noting all of them are past their prime by a long shot and this is at night in America on a Tuesday evening:

d7317efd35e82cca49bf6206926148cf.png

Not bad at all, considering.And those numbers are higher during the day, weekends, all that. There's always a few games going. If Umbrella Corps is good, I bet there will always be at least a few games going on PC even way past its prime.

I can never find online lobbies for RE6 on PC. :(

But this is an online-only game so I guess it has a better shot of keeping an active community. Still, it would be nice to have some form of single-player content. I don't care if it's just Mercenaries/Raid mode using the multiplayer maps, but give me something. Especially since Revelations 2 had both a single player and multiplayer mode for the same price.

163~292games ? that could translate to a couple thousand playing at a time.And yeah 6 is waaaay past its prime.

Not bad.

That's not the number of online lobbies, that's the number of people who are in-game on Steam. I'm betting that most of those people are playing the campaign offline.

As was HD REmaster

So one new game and some rereleases. Not really cementing my faith.

I hoped they learned their lesson from RE6 and REV2 seemed like they were heading in the right direction as well as their focus on Remakes to build more interest but nah.

RE5/6 aren't bad games, they just aren't good Resident Evil games. At least the franchise I loved up until its TOTAL ACTION ACTION!!! that its been becoming over the years. RE fans want a survival horror game.

It seems like they just use the branding for popularity sake. This could be named anything else and people wouldn't think it was based on RE at all.

If it was called Dead Corps people would just throw it in the pile of other mp focused shooters.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Eat a dick Capcom. You should have given us a dedicated Mercenaries game(ala the 3DS game) instead.

Well in that case that's just pitiful.

That's like..a negligible number.

A couple hundred people playing at once when MP is only 2-4 people, on some games that are 6 years old seems quite decent.

Also ORC isn't listed, which easily has the best MP modes and is where competitive players would likely be. Yeah ORC isn't as bad as people like to claim.

Elija2

Well that cannot be right, as I know people who play it several times a week, and I assume they find opponents.

Maybe their Steam profiles are set to private? Or maybe they're a part of the 30-day average which I think is saying that on average 4.2 people are playing at the same time.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Operation Raccoon City's current playing players wouldn't be recorded accurately since it runs through GFWL. I know there's something wrong with it recording Lost Planet 2 player numbers, and I assume the same is true for ORC.

Also for ORC case, the game hasn't seen a sale in over two years since Capcom stopped doing sales on their GFWL titles.

Plasma

Banned
It's a spin off that actively contradicts the appeal of the series and diverts Capcom's resources away from actual Resident Evil games. RE5 and RE6 are all the evidence you need of how this action pandering ruins main entries too.
It's annoying as well when you think there have been better MP modes in past RE games as well that aren't PVP.

They should take a leaf out of EAs book and make something like the ME3 mp but with RE enemies, locations and characters.

Mr_Zombie

Eat a dick Capcom. You should have given us a dedicated Mercenaries game(ala the 3DS game) instead.

I would love Capcom to release a RE6 Mercenaries-based game with even more characters, stages, perks, missions, modes, unlockables etc.

But a man can dream :(

As for the Umbrella Corps. - as for now, I'm indifferent about the game. From the trailer it looks like a generic online shooter with some RE themes put here and there and nothing more. I probably won't play it, so whatever.

So write me down as interested. I didn't bother playing re6... couldn't get over the terrible fov. But maybe they'll get it right this time. And I don't mind it being competitive. Hell, I am interested because it is competitive.

Capcom just had to make another shooter based RE game... Why would they think this would be a good idea for their 20th anniversary?

Alo0oy

Banned
A couple hundred people playing at once when MP is only 2-4 people, on some games that are 6 years old seems quite decent.

Also ORC isn't listed, which easily has the best MP modes and is where competitive players would likely be. Yeah ORC isn't as bad as people like to claim.

It's not really decent, Revelations on 3DS probably has more players than that.

In fact, you can find more players online for a lot of AAA games on either PC or consoles. Even games far older than RE6.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's a fundamental difference between games people are buying to play the campaign in and maybe play co-op with a friend, and something that's explicitly an online competitive title.

If the online is actually good enough to attract a notable amount of people to spend $30 on buying the game in the first place, the odds that enough of them stay around to maintain a community is much better than when 95%+ of people came in to play through the campaign, try mercenaries for a bit, and leave.

NIN90

It had seemed like after the increasingly negative critic and fan reactions to RE5, ORC, and especially RE6 that Capcom was finally getting the point and going back toward survival horror. Rev2 and REmaster/0HD seemed to indicate they were on the right track and that they finally understood what most of us want from the series. This spin off proves that no, they're still just as interested in turning RE into a shitty third person shooter as they ever were. More, even.
Man, I honestly hope REmake2 is being made with the RE4-style camera just so I can see obnoxious classic RE fans lose their shit.

Alo0oy

Banned
There's a fundamental difference between games people are buying to play the campaign in and maybe play co-op with a friend, and something that's explicitly an online competitive title.

If the online is actually good enough to attract a notable amount of people to spend $30 on buying the game in the first place, the odds that enough of them stay around to maintain a community is much better than when 95%+ of people came in to play through the campaign, try mercenaries for a bit, and leave.

Maybe I'm biased against Action RE games, but I don't think this game will maintain a healthy population, it will probably have a few niche hardcore players that continue playing it like Shadowfall or Titanfall, but it won't be popular. I can find people playing online in seconds in any RE game on PS3 right now, but I don't think it will be the case for this game.

Who knows, Japan buys Call of Duty, so it could do relatively well there with the RE logo slapped on it? I wouldn't bet on it, though.

Nerrel

But every single one of those action oriented entries (RE4 aside) received pretty mediocre reviews from critics and fans. By the standards of quality set by the earlier games, RE6 and ORC were critical disasters, even. If you want to judge the games on commercial success alone, then yeah, the modern shooter direction has been more successful, but in terms of quality the older entries are obviously better games.

In other words, I don't want to see them keep making shitty games just because they sell well. RE6 sold very highly, but the amount of people who actually think it's a good game is so small compared to the number of people who thought it was terrible- and even those people who like it will admit that it has catastrophic flaws. There seems to be little relation between critical and commercial success at this point. It bothers me that Capcom is willing to settle for making strings of mediocre games like this- ignoring the overwhelming opinions of critics and fans- as long as they sell.

It's a weird phenomenon. The longtime fans of the series seem unanimous that the new direction sucks and that they want the classic survival horror back. Critics agree that the newer games generally aren't very good. The series is considered to be a joke and a shadow of its former self almost everywhere you look... yet the games just keep selling.

Is the brand loyalty that strong that fans just want to keep trying the games for themselves in spite of reviews? Or are there really that many shooter fans willing to buy these games based on a passing casual interest? Because it seems like the majority who buy have agreed that the games are mediocre. If there are people out there who genuinely loved these new action games and weren't disappointed by them in any way, they're sure not very vocal. At some point I assume the streak of mediocre receptions will take its toll, the dudebro action bubble they're enjoying will burst and people will learn their lesson and stop buying. That could kill the series completely.

Man, I honestly hope REmake2 is being made with the RE4-style camera just so I can see obnoxious classic RE fans lose their shit.
Some series metascores:
RE4: 96 (9.4 user)
RE5: 83 (7.5)

Operation Raccoon City: 53 (4.9 user)

RE6: 67 (4.9)

Recognizing the fact that the games have gotten shittier and shitter as they've moved towards more action isn't obnoxious. Given the poor reception similar action driven RE games have gotten, what are the odds that this new shooter won't be another turd on the pile? Keeping RE2 as separate from this downward spiral as possible is the best way to remake it.

NIN90

The sales are a weird phenomenon. The longtime fans of the series seem unanimous that the new direction sucks and that they want the classic survival horror back. Critics agree that the newer games generally aren't very good. The series is considered to be a joke and a shadow of its former self almost everywhere you look... yet the games just keep selling.

Is the brand loyalty that strong that fans just want to keep trying the games for themselves in spite of reviews? Or are there really that many shooter fans willing to buy these games based on a passing casual interest? Because it seems like the majority who buy have agreed that the games are mediocre. If there are people out there who genuinely loved these new action games and weren't disappointed by them in any way, they're sure not very vocal.

.. or maybe *gasp* these longtime fans are a (very) vocal minority?

The longtime fans of the series seem unanimous that the new direction sucks and that they want the classic survival horror back.

Some of us are longtime enough to have played through Outbreak and Survivor. We'll literally play anything. I'm not a RES 1-CV fan, I'm a RES fan. I enjoyed 2, Dead Aim, 6, Revelaitons-- all sorts.

I'm pretty excited by this, hopefully won't be bogged down with too much cosmetic microtransactions.

It's a weird phenomenon. The longtime fans of the series seem unanimous that the new direction sucks and that they want the classic survival horror back. Critics agree that the newer games generally aren't very good.
You are joking right...?

The Resident Evil series has one of the worst & most divisive fanbases around(of which I am a major part of from day 1.)
REmake is best
RE4 "is the best game ever made"

Fanbase will bitch about something in 5, turn around praise 4 as the greatest game ever when 4 started that same exact thing they bitch about(action focus, and zombie with guns for example).
Some tell Capcom to go classic style then shout from the rooftops about 4.

People say do more like 4, we get two Rev games that are more horror focused than 4 yet people bitch about those.
People say 4 was more horror than 5 & 6 yet you get Leon cracking jokes every 5 seconds, 5 they have Chris having a fitting mood for that game but then people bitch about wanting Leon back.

All the while the 4/5 style absolutely crushes the originals in sells, so Capcom continues to make it.

We get 6 with amazing mechanics(the best of the series) which only get to shine in Chris campaign but people throw a fit about his campaign(despite being 6's best).
They start making REmake 2 for classic fans, Rev 2 for middle ground and make a half priced shooter using 6's great mechanics and reused assets...
and yet people still complaining like crazy like this somehow replaces RE7 or REmake 2.

G-Fex

You are joking right...?

The Resident Evil series has one of the worst & most divisive fanbases around(of which I am a major part of from day 1.)
REmake is best
RE4 "is the best game ever made"

Fanbase will bitch about something in 5, turn around praise 4 as the greatest game ever when 4 started that same exact thing they bitch about(action focus, and zombie with guns for example).
Some tell Capcom to go classic style then shout from the rooftops about 4.

People say do more like 4, we get two Rev games that are more horror focused than 4 yet people bitch about those.

Way too many people drink too much of RE4's kool aid

I want a 3rd Rev game though.

LUXURY

As was HD REmaster

All but one were previous titles that required little to no thought from them. This game looks basic as fuck. For their anniversary they choose THIS to thank fans and celebrate?! Come on.

While I love Rev 2 with the story and the way each campaign effects the other in gameplay. RE 4 kicks the shit out of those games in terms of design.

RE5 is a great game, but it tried to replicate everything about RE4 and it became a weaker title because of that. That's why RE4 lovers hate it.

All but one were previous titles that required little to no thought from them. This game looks basic as fuck. For their anniversary they choose THIS to thank fans and celebrate?! Come on.

RE2make will absolutely require thought put into it, just like REmake.

Look what I quoted,
"last few Releases"
RE6 = Only really liked Chris campaign
Rev 1 = good/decent
HD REmaster = rerelease of the series best
Rev 2 = great, mix of old and new

Coming:
Zero REmaster = Not that great but a game in classic style few have played.
REmake 2 = game people have asked for about 15 years.
RE7 = Obviously

Why can't Capcom get some use out of their assets, what else do people want from the series right now instead?

They have great mechanics and assets, obviously they wouldn't attempt a new brand 3rd person shooter and they don't really have other IP's that fit either.
So they put RE on it and people will be interested.
Doesn't have ORC's baggage either.

Top Bottom