• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps (PC/PS4, $30, Unity 5, 2016), competetive MP shooter

Manu

Yeah, the whole "true fans only liked the series from 1996 to 2002 and have been talking shit for the last 13 years instead of moving on like a reasonable person would" thing is getting old.

I'm a fan of Resident Evil the series. Been a fan since RE2. I like both styles. There are many others like me. We exist and we're the silent majority.

KissVibes

Banned
A good game is a good game, regardless of the title they put on it. I'll play it if its good and worth the asking price and has a solid community on PC. $30 seems a little steep though.

Any reason it isn't on Xbox One? Sony funding it or something? Capcom loved being multiplatform last generation, but seems to be focused on PS4.

A couple hundred people playing at once when MP is only 2-4 people, on some games that are 6 years old seems quite decent.

Also ORC isn't listed, which easily has the best MP modes and is where competitive players would likely be. Yeah ORC isn't as bad as people like to claim.

ORC is absolute garbage and everyone sane agrees.

Numbers don't lie.

Nerrel

You are joking right...?

The Resident Evil series has one of the worst & most divisive fanbases around(of which I am a major part of from day 1.)
REmake is best
RE4 "is the best game ever made"

Both games are great, and I don't see much dispute about that in the fanbase. Some people will say that RE4 isn't good as a Resident Evil game, but hardly anyone will say it's not a great game in its own right (and if they do, they're going way out on a limb). If anything, RE4 mainly gets flak for the path that the series took after it. Most fans I see respect that both are great entries in different ways.

Fanbase will bitch about something in 5, turn around praise 4 as the greatest game ever when 4 started that same exact thing they bitch about(action focus, and zombie with guns for example).
Some tell Capcom to go classic style then shout from the rooftops about 4.

People say do more like 4, we get two Rev games that are more horror focused than 4 yet people bitch about those.
People say 4 was more horror than 5 & 6 yet you get Leon cracking jokes every 5 seconds, 5 they have Chris having a fitting mood for that game but then people bitch about wanting Leon back.

All the while the 4/5 style absolutely crushes the originals in sells, so Capcom continues to make it.

First of all, people liked Rev2 quite a bit.

RE4 was a more horror/atmosphere based game than 5 or 6. Leon can crack jokes in the cutscenes without dampening the feel of the gameplay, and honestly, the dialog even in a serious RE game is often just as ridiculous (unintentionally). The dialog isn't what made these games scary.

The village, castle, and to a lesser extent the island were all creepy and atmospheric places to explore. Even when enemies used projectiles, like the cultists with crossbows, it made sense in the context of the action and made the enemies seem even more isolated and archaic. It enhanced their creepiness instead of diminishing it.

RE5 made no effort to be frightening in its environments or enemies at all. You were running around a bright and sunny African savanna fighting enemies that had become so human-like they may as well have just been normal people with sticks- they were so unintimidating I often even felt bad for shooting them. The worst part came at the end when zombies started wielding AK47's and ducking behind cover- that shooter audience pandering crossed way over the line. RE6 only started aping the FPS trend even worse from there.

RE4 got away with what it did because it was still a horror game. It was action horror instead of survival horror, but it worked. It walked the line, but didn't cross it. RE5 is just action with some monster enemies thrown in. There's a pretty clear loss of the fear element, even if it's a matter of degrees that makes the difference, and the game is a lot less impacting and memorable for it. That's why one is loved and the other isn't, even if they're very similar in the core gameplay.

You are joking right...?
We get 6 with amazing mechanics(the best of the series) which only get to shine in Chris campaign but people throw a fit about his campaign(despite being 6's best).

A lot of people like RE6's control mechanics (I'm one of them), but they don't make any sense in the context of horror. You can't say they're "the best in the series" because they're not at all appropriate for the series. If you were to put these controls in the past games, it wouldn't make them better. It would absolutely ruin them. It's hard to instill fear in the player and develop a tense survival atmosphere when you can slide across the ground with two pistols blazing at once. That's why there are so many rushes of massive enemies in the new games- individual zombies are never a threat. They're just bullet fodder.

The RE6 controls are only the "best" in the context of a purely action driver shooter, which Capcom should have created a new series for if they were so interested in it. OR- they could have experimented with the action style in spinoffs like this while keeping the main series horror focused. I would not be complaining about spinoffs like this one bit if that were the scenario.

As for Rev1 and 2, they were both smaller scale spinoffs that had much lower budgets. Those limitations were the main source of criticism, not the general horror direction of the games themselves. Rev1 was criticized mainly for having an awkwardly segmented and aimless progression- elements due to being on a handheld and completely unrelated to how well it approximated the classic horror feel (which fans actually liked). Rev2 was also not criticized for it's horror at all that I'm aware of, just it's cheap and limited production values.

They start making REmake 2 for classic fans, Rev 2 for middle ground and make a half priced shooter using 6's great mechanics and reused assets...
and yet people still complaining like crazy like this somehow replaces RE7 or REmake 2.

People keep saying that Capcom can keep the series compartmentalized and deliver different experiences to everyone at once. They can't. RE6 was designed to do exactly that, and it failed miserably. There's always overlap. Things the developers learned in one game will naturally carry over to another.

Revelations 2 is the only game we've gotten that suggests that they can leave the action behind once in a while, but even that game had a lot of "horde" type segments with rushes of tons of enemies. Large waves of enemies is the inevitable end point in every over the shoulder RE game. The combat just isn't challenging enough otherwise. I'm not saying that game was bad. Just that it still wasn't quite classic RE.

REmaster and 0 HD leave Capcom with no choice but to keep the gameplay untouched. They're very low budget ports with some enhancements. For an all new remake of RE2, they could easily go with over the shoulder and make it much more action oriented if they feel like that style of play is popular and successful enough. I can easily imagine REmake 2 turning out just like the start of Leon's RE6 campaign, which would be a big disservice to the original game.

I didn't need to type this wall of text. All that a lot of fans want is a RE game that captures the intense horror and fun of the originals, which we haven't gotten since 2002. We've had plenty of shooters. We've had action based RE games out the ass. As someone posted above, there have been more action RE games than survival horror entries at this point. It's irritating as a fan of the older games to see that style of play keep getting shafted while these COD/GOW wannabe titles keep getting pumped out regardless of how badly the critical and community reception flops.

Sigh... I'm just tired of it. Go ahead Capcom. Just turn the franchise into pachinko slot machines already.

Dude it's a side game. REmake 2 and REmake 1 are on the way, with RE7 also probably on the horizon at some point, and we just got REV2, which was great.

I know you meant the pachinko thing as an insult, but that shit has been around for years and hasn't somehow turned the series into a gambling avenue.

Some of you guys need to put your chill on.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just realized what a smart move it'd be if they had a demo of REmake 2 in this game. I don't think REmake 2 will be far enough along for them to do that maybe (though REmake was made in about 14 months, so who knows?), but it'd definitely push some sales I think. Even if the demo was just the Raccoon City streets before the Police Station or something (which I'm crossing fingers, is expanded for REmake 2).

Sorry, was just a random thought I had based on nothing substantial, but I was just thinking about how that might be a good marketing strategy.

Gren

Didn't they put a demo of the OG 2 in with RE Director's Cut? I recall my friend pointing out it had a better Licker reveal than the final game did
(it just dropped down abruptly from off-screen like a jump-scare, no CG intro).

It would be damn genius/devious of them to do it again.

People thinking this is a replacement for RE7 lol

Its a spin off like Raccoon City and RC actually sold well so it seems there is a part of the RE fanbase that enjoys this.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

The main thing I pulled from the live-action trailer was that a part of it took place in Raccoon Hospital, and actually the brief parts seen in the hospital kind of looked like Raccoon Hospital, so now I'm curious if Raccoon Hospital from RE3/Outbreak is actually a map in the game.

We haven't seen much in terms of stages, though we have seen RE4's village and RE5's Public Assembly expanded. Since the trailer was centered around Raccoon City, I take it we'll also see some maps modeled after older RE locations (and some pseudo 'Raccoon City' maps like streets or something).

Jawmuncher

Sounds like the biggest issue might be fine tuning the controls reading those previews. Then again hardcore RE fans for MP have gotten accustomed to some different from the norm styles what with RE5 and RE6 MP styles.

IGN impressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F6cIGI7HNI

-doesn't feel like RE (no duh)
-guns aren't satisfying except for revolver
-Zombie hitpoints
-Analog Cover; not working properly
-when you die you get spectator cam which can be used for cheating

+Pre-match: can do some planning which was cool
+Zombie Jammer is cool and you can use zombies for tactical advantage
+Brainer melee weapon also can be used for traversal

lol.

The press don't like it either. Capcom are just going to put their fingers in their ears though and waste money on this POS that nobody wanted.

DrZeus

Counterstrike with zombies sounds interesting. I doubt this will meet that level of praise, but I'd love to be surprised.

I feel like Capcom always introduces their RE games in such an odd way.... that never represent the actual games?

RE6? Didn't they show the most action packed part of the game at E3 of Leon's campaign for example. The reveal trailer looked like the game would return to it's horror roots with Jake's campaign being mostly action packed.

ORC looked really cool but a CGI trailer that just showed the characters you'll be playing as.

They introduced RE5 with only Chris... first two trailers or so? First one was creepy and then second one looked action packed.

Umbrella Corps, it's an odd way to reveal the game? Nothing about it says RE. They could've at least revealed another mode with the classic characters, stages and enemies? And saved what they showed until later...? Make people interested at least. I'm only interested in this because I'm hoping it will have more of the RE universe than stages that we could slightly see in the trailer.

The Revelations games were the only games whose trailers actually lived up to what they showed. Somewhat...

Destructiod didn't seem to hate it, suprisingly. They also mentioned that it had a CounterStrike feel.

http://www.destructoid.com/new-resi...ing-alright-third-person-shooter-311146.phtml

Until I actually played it, I was feeling Gears of War hints. There's the close, over-the-shoulder view (arguably equally established by Resident Evil 4, but the former gets the mental nod in the context of a third-person competitive shooter), the general griminess of the place, and the claustrophobic tightness of the map, and the "Brained," a rock climbing pick ax looking thing good for one-hit melee kills. And then I played the thing and there is none off that lumbering; it felt more like Counter-Strike speed.

The regular walking speed is quick, sprint is quicker. Even the crawl is fast, which is incredibly strange looking. There's a cover system, too, which is a bit like Gears' run. If you're aiming at a structure that supports cover, it will be outlined blue. Pressing X will automatically send your character running for cover and then snap in.

Zombies are kind of just milling about (I think they just kind of spawn from goopy puddles in the floor) and you do get points for killing them. They can kill you, too, but are non-threatening enough that you can run past them. I did get killed by one, though, while I was already hurt and trying to crawl-retreat from bullets. It clocked me in the face. So they add something to the matches.

The one life, no respawn mode I played is "one of the main modes," which emphasizes the focus on small, quick games. We were playing 3-on-3 and the game will go up to 5-on-5 with more modes to be announced later. Umbrella Corps is a bit more fast and floaty than I expected, but that did give it a somewhat novel feel. I've always preferred smaller player count shooter multiplayer, too. The whole thing feels...fine. A bit faceless with the tactical, bug-eyed non-persons, but not completely bog standard boring, either.

Here's some gameplay folks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_mbwIhzamc

The animations for any movement are weird as shit. It seriously like the character is just floating around whatever he's doing to move around. 5:38 or so...

Nice set of taunts.

The one hit kill with the axe though. Pretty OP.

Gren

Weird how the zombies in that vid were seemingly dormant only until the player shot one, thus rousing it.

I already don't really like it when the player's character blocks so much of the FOV in third-person shooters, but that axe/crowbar weapon also being so close to the camera was a bit bothersome.

Jawmuncher

The animations for any movement are weird as shit. It seriously like the character is just floating around whatever he's doing to move around. 5:38 or so...

Nice set of taunts.

The one hit kill with the axe though. Pretty OP.

Yeah watching that doesn't look bad at all. Though like you said by far the weirdest thing atm just seems to be movement. Looks like the levels is moving around the player rather than the player moving within the level.

Also lol at those negative reviews. Majority of them are from "This isn't the game I want" rather than what it actually is.

Weird how the zombies in that vid were seemingly dormant only until the player shot one, thus rousing it.

I already don't really like it when the player's character blocks so much of the FOV in third-person shooters, but that axe/crowbar weapon also being so close to the camera was a bit bothersome.

The zombies are dormant due to the teams having zombie jammers which make the zombies harmless. If your zombie jammer gets damaged, the zombies will go after you. The was mention of the "brainer" melee weapon being able to block headshots but I didn't see that in this footage. I did see a mini shield though. Also, you have to have decent timing to use a zombie as a shield.

The movement is very odd. It seems like the player is skating when they are walking. The player actually seems more grounded when they are running. Crawling is very fast as well, which makes it weird. The FOV is also too small. I would hope this would be fixed in the PC release.

Mr_Zombie

Apparently soldiers wear devices called "zombie jammers", so that zombies don't notice them. You can however shoot a zombie or damage another player's zombie jammer to wake them up.

Jawmuncher

The zombies are dormant due to the teams having zombie jammers which make the zombies harmless. If your zombie jammer gets damaged, the zombies will go after you. The was mention of the "brainer" melee weapon being able to block headshots but I didn't see that in this footage. I did see a mini shield though. Also, you have to have decent timing to use a zombie as a shield.

The movement is very odd. It seems like the player is skating when they are walking. The player actually seems more grounded when they are running. Crawling is very fast as well, which makes it weird. The FOV is also too small. I would hope this would be fixed in the PC release.

The stuff right now seems like easily fixable stuff by the march release.

Jawmuncher

They definitely need to make the animations feel more grounded. It just seems so oft-putting. However, I do appreciate how fast it is.

Yeah if they can keep it grounded and keep the speed should be a nice change of pace.
Since I felt orc was oddly slow in MP. While still trying to keep elements of a faster paced game.

Ludens

Banned
"Operation Racoon City was a success, let's do it again".
Also animations in the video psoted look horrible. If RE REV2 was low budget, I wonder what is this...

Watching that GameSpot TGS footage it looks pretty slick. Some more polish/content and it might be a pretty solid $30 multiplayer shooter.

It seems that they don't become aggressive until you are injured.

Actually isn't it the zombie jammer thing? I just noticed that. I guess if you break somebodies jammer, zombies wont ignore that person anymore. That's kinda neat.

Still, this would have been more interesting if you were playing as various RE heroes/villains instead of generic umbrella guys.

leroidys

The mechanics look interesting to me. This game will live or die by the quality of its level design and its player count though. The level they showed looks interesting to play.

Hopefully they can fix up the animations so it doesn't look like player models are sliding around everywhere.

Top Bottom