• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Gameplay Demo Available On Steam

Md Ray

It remains to be seen if the PC settings will look way better than the PS5 settings
I highly doubt that it will look way better. We're talking about Capcom here.

I expect a few refinements here and there to settings like the shadows and volumetrics receiving a slight boost in resolution but expect texture quality, assets, lighting, and general look and feel of the game to be identical to PS5. The only real big upgrade over consoles would be the ability to run the game at over 60fps if you have the display for it.

Orta

Banned
Niiiiiice! The voice in my head says "you should play it on your PS5, like it's meant to be" but my heart goes "dude, you've got a 3080 wtf" :(

tenor.gif

Kuranghi

I highly doubt that it will look way better. We're talking about Capcom here.

I expect a few refinements here and there to settings like the shadows and volumetrics receiving a slight boost in resolution but expect texture quality, assets, lighting, and general look and feel of the game to be identical to PS5. The only real big upgrade over consoles would be the ability to run the game at over 60fps if you have the display for it.

I do agree with most all of that, but I did notice a big difference in texture quality in RE3R when you went above console settings. Maybe not on the characters as much but I saw quite a lot higher detail textures for objects in the environment and I love looking at everything up close.

An example was the "Megaman" statue in the Toy Uncle shop in RE3R, it was significantly sharper all over as I went up from 4GB, to 6GB, to 8GB and then the settings beyond that and although I couldn't notice any difference between the top setting and the 2nd from top in that scene, the top setting did appear to be loading higher resolution mipmaps on medium-distance textures, which made a difference at native 4K and above for me, on the giant telly.

I do also like running Volumetric Lighting on Medium, where consoles were often Low, its prob Medium on PS5 now though I think.

Oh actually I just thought of another reason, being able to turn off Depth of Field (Because it doesnt play nice with the hair rendering and sometimes was broken in cutscenes) and SSR (If its still broken/temporally unstable) means I can maintain my refresh rate lock at higher resolutions and maybe whack shadows up a bit more.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
A glimpse into the future when they make everything streaming and will seek to charge us by the minute.

What hardware are you running?
The day gaming becomes like a charge by the minute sex hotline is the day I quit gaming.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

kungfuian

As excited as I am for this game gonna gamble and wait till the inevitable VR version is announced. I know they haven't said anything but they have to be making a VR mode right? RE7 VR was just such an amazing experience, like Mario 64 levels for me, would be a shame if they didn't.

Still think it's crazy PC version of 7 never got an official VR mode. Come on Capcom, perfect game for PSVR 2 launch.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As excited as I am for this game gonna gamble and wait till the inevitable VR version is announced. I know they haven't said anything but they have to be making a VR mode right? RE7 VR was just such an amazing experience, like Mario 64 levels for me, would be a shame if they didn't.

Still think it's crazy PC version of 7 never got an official VR mode. Come on Capcom, perfect game for PSVR 2 launch.
It never got pc version because it would require a lot of work to do all the ui and hand tracking.
The backlash would be huge if they just released a non motion controlled version. PS4 version is just using normal controller in vr

where the hell is the hack to disable the timer? so nobody ever extracted a pak file before? pc people need to turn on their bitch magic and get this done!!!

RNG

Game feels and looks better on PC if you got the rig for it. No FOV option which sucks and no DLSS option either because of AMD sponsorship. It has ray tracing options though

RookX22

Game feels and looks better on PC if you got the rig for it. No FOV option which sucks and no DLSS option either because of AMD sponsorship. It has ray tracing options though
I have a 3060ti and a 10700k, I cranked everything up just to compare and in the castle opening room the gold molding on the walls flickered and stuff. I was locked 60 fps all my drivers are up to date.

Mister Wolf

2080ti. Mostly between 100-110+ fps. I’m running on an ancient 4790k too btw lol. Game is more GPU heavy since it was mostly at 90% utilization.

Cool I'm part of the 2080ti club too. They said we were stupid for buying that card but now whose laughing. The market value of my 2080ti now is worth more than when I bought it. You running it at 4K maxed settings?

RNG

Cool I'm part of the 2080ti club too. They said we were stupid for buying that card but now whose laughing. The market value of my 2080ti now is worth more than when I bought it. You running it at 4K maxed settings?
1080p lol.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I really don't know what to think about the technical aspect of the game, you have stuff like this:

1541780_20210502020918_1.png

And then you turn you head and see textures like that:

1541780_20210502022606_1.png

The fact that the NPC are so well done and detailed is just amplifying the contrast, maybe an high res texture pack is coming ?
Other than that the game run flawlessly with the latest Nvidia driver, maxed out with ray tracing. No problem at all except no FOV slider.

Krizalidx11

Banned
It runs as it should at max graphics with RT @ 8k using 3090, and the textures are not made for 8k or 4k, lots of blurry textures on walls, tea cups... etc

HDR pushes the game visuals a bit in the Castle, not so much in the village

I really don't know what to think about the technical aspect of the game, you have stuff like this:

And then you turn you head and see textures like that:

The fact that the NPC are so well done and detailed is just amplifying the contrast, maybe an high res texture pack is coming ?
Other than that the game run flawlessly with the latest Nvidia driver, maxed out with ray tracing. No problem at all except no FOV slider.
Yea, the game needs an FOV slider bad. Ultrawide is pretty godly though. Game runs smooth as fuck too for me.

Nvzman

Wondering how my 2060 (i9-10900k and 32gb of RAM lol i wish gpus werent impossible to get rn) will handle this at 1080p 144hz. If the game isnt optimized that well on PC i may consider the One X or PS5 versions. Cant try it until monday though :(

GHG

The game looks just ok:

Resident-Evil-Village-Gameplay-Demo-02-05-2021-04-59-38.png

Resident-Evil-Village-Gameplay-Demo-02-05-2021-05-00-39.png

Max settings with RT on (I'm not even sure what it's going in this game since it looks so bland) I'm getting around 60fps @1440p with a 2070S.

Honestly, unless I have nostalgia goggles on, I think VII looked better.

Also WTF at now FOV setting?

Last edited:

YCoCg

The fact that the demo has achievements sadly made me grab it, I was willing to wait til the final game but having achievements for a demo is just too crazy to miss out on.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The game looks just ok

Max settings with RT on (I'm not even sure what it's going in this game since it looks so bland) I'm getting around 60fps @1440p with a 2070S.

Honestly, unless I have nostalgia goggles on, I think VII looked better.

Also WTF at now FOV setting?

Exactly my thought. Not only RE7 looked better, but RE 2 & 3 Remake too.

Krizalidx11

Banned
The fact that the demo has achievements sadly made me grab it, I was willing to wait til the final game but having achievements for a demo is just too crazy to miss out on.

Those achievements are linked to the timer, delete the save files+Achievements using SAM and the timer will reset

Keihart

Game performs super good, i mean, i turned almost everything up without variable rate shading or the FX stuff, and at 2 times downsampling, i guess since the setting is very vague.
Some weird stuff i noticed...
Variable rate shading makes the game look jaggie as fuck...i mean, im not even a fan of overly clean looking games but that was disgusting, no idea how much performance it boosts but the jaggies are sharp as fuck.
Somehow, the game runs smoother with Ray tracing on than with GI MAX without it, maybe RT its being used to accelarate the GI?

Game looks as good as 7, i don't see anything better looking, if anything, i kinda miss some of the post processing from 7...game at times looks way too clean breaking the illusion of some environments, like sharp door edges with lame contact shadows.
I turned all the post processing on but it's super low now compared to before.

CloudNull

Banned
Yeah I was not impressed. Played both demos in 4k with everything at max. Was able to keep 60fps the whole time but besides that nothing good to say.

The controls didn't feel good and I was not enjoying it all. I guess VR has ruined scary games for me or this game just doesn't demo well. Glad they put the demo out on steam though because this was a day one for me before this.

Shmunter

Lol, not once have I been able to play the demo on PS5 because each time I booted it it had a countdown. Most idiotic demo delivery ever conceived.

RTX 3090 + Ryzen 5900x chew through this demo at 3440 x 1440p with all the bells and whistles. I thought it looked great on the PS5 but holy cow does it shine on PC. For those who have the hardware, I highly recommend you give the demo a spin. I've got 10 more minutes to play around in the castle now...

I have a lower-end PC that plays most games just fine. Even on the lowest settings, I was having frame drops and pop-in everywhere. Was wondering if anybody else was having this or if it's just my 2012 PC. I really don't mind "hm, pretty good" textures, but I just can't stand random stuttering and SUPER OBVIOUS pop-in.

Top Bottom