• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2: The Official Thread of Mankind's Last Stand

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
gofreak said:
Fooking hell at some of the OP screenies.

I've not been paying too much attention to R2, but maybe it's time I started.

Yes sir. Its about that time.

So did some walmarts release the game early? Anywhere else?

careksims

Mm mmm! Good Thread! My hats off to you. Can't wait to finally earn and KEEP those exp points!

Also I can't wait to see how the Chimera figure turned out. Ever since I saw that ~ DAY 1 CE!

careksims said:
Mm mmm! Good Thread! My hats off to you. Can't wait to finally earn and KEEP those exp points!

Lol, you're telling me. Level 10 medic, soldier and in competitive. :lol I'm going to be hurting inside once the beta servers go down.

Ploid 3.0

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not trying to troll here, but...

I think this is the exact opposite direction from those that OPs should go in. After the initial 5 or 6 pages of "great op dude", no one is going to read the original post. The bandwidth commitment as well as the sheer weight of having to scroll through it all to find any info added after the game's release will mean that people will be less able to find the info they need. It's like a splash page on a website--it might look pretty the first time, but in subsequent times it just gets in the way of the main purpose of the site; discussion and information.

The fact that it's all images means that any great info in there will not be copy/pastable so it will be harder to share information provided by the OP.

I also think it's dangerous that OPs are starting to converge pretty closely with marketing for the game. There's information, there's fan hype, and then there's the wholesale repackaging of marketing kits. I'm not saying any OP of any official thread so far has been a marketer of any kind, but I think it really leaves the gates open for people to be marketers.

I think even within the "banner / images / mini-site" concept of a thread starter, it's still important to prune information that isn't adding to the thread. Information everyone already knows is not needed. Information no one cares about (EG ESRB ratings in the Fallout thread and others) is not needed.

To me a good OP consists of well-thought out GAF and critical impressions, consensus on the game, links to official sites, at most a small media gallery, and emergency info vis-a-vis bugs or crashes that people need to know to have a good game experience.

Again, not trolling Bruce or this OP or any OP in specific, but just... as a concept, I really think this sort of sprawling epic OP is not a good direction. I also think that plenty of posters who think like me would not post this because they have started to avoid official threads because of this trend. Jonnyram's thread on the thread title issues revealed a lot of people who felt this way. Even those who would read the thread probably wouldn't post something like this because the avalanche of "EPIC OP OF THE FOREVER U DA MAN NOW" that all official threads have now sort of drowns out any contrary opinions.

I really don't mean to troll or derail the OP. If mods feel that's what I'm doing, delete this post wholesale. I don't intend to respond to any posts responding to me, or have a debate or argument about this, I just thought it was important to offer this dissenting view.

Everyone has time to say nice job on the op because few of us have the game. Only two people if I remember correctly.

careksims

Pai Pai Master said:
Lol, you're telling me. Level 10 medic, soldier and in competitive. :lol I'm going to be hurting inside once the beta servers go down.

Ha hah! Oh man. That's why I didn't play as much. I just enjoyed the scenery and animation more. I was just a level 4 medic. This week is going pretty slow lol!

EktorPR

Incredible OP, Bruce. You, sir, are an inspiration.

Game-related, I really hope GS throws a midnight launch thingy for this: election day in PR means general retail closure, and I'd love to play this game at midnight and well onto the morning, right before voting. :D

smilin.jpg

So close!! Me so happy.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BTW - just a reminder about two big events next week:

Midnight Launch at the Metreon in San Francisco --- get 2008 pennies off your Collector's Edition in honor of Election Day (makes it cheaper than the regular edition!), meet Insomniacs, get your game signed, and other swag and cool stuff.

Special GAF offer for 21 and older - VIP Reception, PM me with your name and e-mail address.

-AND-

Insomniac Community Day - at Insomniac Games in Burbank, CA
--- Nov 7th. Meet Insomniacs, tour the studio, eat lunch with us, participate in panels, and get all of your stuff signed! A rare chance to enter the studio!

bluemax

Banned
jstevenson said:

Midnight Launch at the Metreon in San Francisco --- get 2008 pennies off your Collector's Edition in honor of Election Day (makes it cheaper than the regular edition!), meet Insomniacs, get your game signed, and other swag and cool stuff.

Special GAF offer for 21 and older - VIP Reception, PM me with your name and e-mail address.

-AND-

--- Nov 7th. Meet Insomniacs, tour the studio, eat lunch with us, participate in panels, and get all of your stuff signed! A rare chance to enter the studio!

Is Insomniac day an all day thing?

jstevenson said:

-AND-

My lord what a awesome weekend that will be.
Man I need to move closer to San Fran.

Seriously, I'd kill 50 chimera with my bare hands to be able to make it to those events. Moving to Cali is my first order of business once school is done. :lol

What and awesome thread. Loved both betas. Can't wait to pick this up. Kinda sad I won't get to play Motorstorm since this and LBP will be taking up all my time until KZ2 and RE5.

What's the next game you're going to work on Bruce?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I had no interest in this game. I tried the beta on a whim and fell head-over-heals in love with the co-op. It's SO fun. It's like Left 4 Dead with RPG elements. I'm buying it for the co-op alone.

Firewire

Banned
Fenderputty said:

He should team up with Wollan for the K2 official thread. Bruce does the graphics and Wollan handles the info.

I also vote that he does Fat Princess, Infamous, God of War 3 and Uncharted 2. :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
sykoex said:
I had no interest in this game. I tried the beta on a whim and fell head-over-heals in love with the co-op. It's SO fun. It's like Left 4 Dead with RPG elements. I'm buying it for the co-op alone.

After the beta, this is my #1 reason. SP campaign just moved to #2 slot. And competitive is a distant third...

Also, any news on the GAF clan? I want in.

Firewire said:
He should team up with Wollan for the K2 official thread. Bruce does the graphics and Wollan handles the info.

I also vote that he does Fat Princess, Infamous, God of War 3 and Uncharted 2. :D

if he does that, and some time later made Halo Wars or GeoW 3 thread, gaf will have a meltdown about Sony losing another exclusive....:lol

Stumpokapow said:

I think this is the exact opposite direction from those that OPs should go in. After the initial 5 or 6 pages of "great op dude", no one is going to read the original post. The bandwidth commitment as well as the sheer weight of having to scroll through it all to find any info added after the game's release will mean that people will be less able to find the info they need. It's like a splash page on a website--it might look pretty the first time, but in subsequent times it just gets in the way of the main purpose of the site; discussion and information.

The fact that it's all images means that any great info in there will not be copy/pastable so it will be harder to share information provided by the OP.

I also think it's dangerous that OPs are starting to converge pretty closely with marketing for the game. There's information, there's fan hype, and then there's the wholesale repackaging of marketing kits. I'm not saying any OP of any official thread so far has been a marketer of any kind, but I think it really leaves the gates open for people to be marketers.

I think even within the "banner / images / mini-site" concept of a thread starter, it's still important to prune information that isn't adding to the thread. Information everyone already knows is not needed. Information no one cares about (EG ESRB ratings in the Fallout thread and others) is not needed.

To me a good OP consists of well-thought out GAF and critical impressions, consensus on the game, links to official sites, at most a small media gallery, and emergency info vis-a-vis bugs or crashes that people need to know to have a good game experience.

Again, not trolling Bruce or this OP or any OP in specific, but just... as a concept, I really think this sort of sprawling epic OP is not a good direction. I also think that plenty of posters who think like me would not post this because they have started to avoid official threads because of this trend. Jonnyram's thread on the thread title issues revealed a lot of people who felt this way. Even those who would read the thread probably wouldn't post something like this because the avalanche of "EPIC OP OF THE FOREVER U DA MAN NOW" that all official threads have now sort of drowns out any contrary opinions.

I really don't mean to troll or derail the OP. If mods feel that's what I'm doing, delete this post wholesale. I don't intend to respond to any posts responding to me, or have a debate or argument about this, I just thought it was important to offer this dissenting view.

Bruce's last MGS4 thread was so awesome, people were posting it from other sites as news. I think it's more than usefull. It's easy to navigate as well. Plus ... what else are we supposed to say. The games hasn't come out yet for us to really compare and contrast opinions.

Fenderputty said:
What and awesome thread. Loved both betas. Can't wait to pick this up. Kinda sad I won't get to play Motorstorm since this and LBP will be taking up all my time until KZ2 and RE5.

Frick im not sure now.

Firewire said:

:lol I like this ...

andycapps

JS, what are the limits on the clan size? Pretty sure we're going to have to have a bigger GAF clan for this, or multiple ones.

RavenFox

Banned
jstevenson said:

-AND-

No NewYork love Jst? :-(

spwolf

Stumpokapow said:

ehm, whole point of OP is to have proper info so you do not have to search through 10,000 posts.

There is nothing worse than getting into poorly made game thread where there are bits on important info spread out between 50 different pages. And hence hundreds of people asking same questions over and over again (dont they know it is on page 29?!, etc, etc).

If you do not intend to discuss what you wrote, then you should not have written it at all.

and yeah bruce, awesome thread...

batbeg

I'm clicking like mad but not finding a wallpaper link to download :(

Edit: Ew, the table of contents post doesn't link to individual posts.

The OP is extremely well done, but to me it seems more like a marketing advertisement for the game than an official forum thread. It's just a little to much. Just my 2 cents.

andycapps said:
JS, what are the limits on the clan size? Pretty sure we're going to have to have a bigger GAF clan for this, or multiple ones.
I swear I remember hearing some ridiculous number like 200. I'm not positive though...

Lince

Banned
EnthusiasTech said:
GamePlayer review is up : 9 / 10

Good
Scope out the ying yang
Sound design is awesome
Hours and hours of gaming
Robust community features

Bad
Visually inconsistent

I read the review and found a lot of nitpicking, doesn't sound like a 9 at all, anyway in Insomniac we trust.

Brialliant thread BruceLeeRoy. One of the best I've seen on here. Great work.

Got the LE pre-ordered. Getting a lot better reviews than I expected so I'm really looking forward to it.

Played the beta (co-op) today with my baby daughter sleeping on my shoulder. Some other dad was in there with his kid also hanging out near the mic. Good times.

Top Bottom