• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

Ashes

Banned
delta25 said:
what's the big deal?

The game looks like a pile of shit to Thrakier. Don't expect it to be much better in the final code. However, if like me you think they went the right direction with this, i.e. more art than pixels, then you will be fine. I'd go a step further and say the game so far, looks very good in places.

To be fair to Thrakier, he is calling it like he sees it; I think when he plays the campaign, he will give it a fair shake.

Yasir

Ashes1396 said:
The game looks like a pile of shit to Thrakier. Don't expect it to be much better in the final code. However, if like me you think they went the right direction with this, i.e. more art than pixels, then you will be fine. I'd go a step further and say the game so far, looks very good in places.

I liked how it looked in the beta tbh, and the framrate was smooth! Not spectacular no, but hardly disapointing for me really.

Thrakier

Ashes1396 said:

To be fair to Thrakier, he is calling it like he sees it; I think when he plays the campaign, he will give it a fair shake.

I will give it a fair shake as soon as it's 17,99, yes. ;D

patsu

Might as well buy high sell high. Or just rent.

By the time you go in at 17,99... a lot of us would already be level 30 or higher. Even at that price, you may not get the experience you want anyways -- if you keep hanging on to that feeling/emotion.

Or just leave the scene altogether, and look for another sweetheart. ^_^

Thrakier

patsu said:
Might as well buy high sell high. Or just rent.

By the time you go in at 17,99... a lot of us would already be level 30 or higher. Even at that price, you may not get the experience you want anyways -- if you keep hanging on to that feeling/emotion.

Or just leave the scene altogether, and look for another sweetheart. ^_^

I'm going in for the campagin, not for the multiplayer. I only have limited time and in november there is a little ps3 exclusive game coming which had a beta on a level of polish and quality which other games won't have in the retail version after 5 patches... ;)

Also I'm sure price will go down rather quick.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So, I remember hearing that the multiplayer trophies in R3 wouldn't be ridiculous like in R2, but I'm looking at the trophies for R3, and there don't seem to be any multiplayer trophies at all. Two co op, though. Is that right? No mp trophies? Will there be any added via dlc like ND did with Uncharted 2? If so, that's pretty smart.

patsu

Thrakier said:
I'm going in for the campagin, not for the multiplayer. I only have limited time and in november there is a little ps3 exclusive game coming which had a beta on a level of polish and quality which other games won't have in the retail version after 5 patches... ;)

I don't know man, unlikely to be 17,99 though.

I actually don't play Uncharted online that much. Prefer FPS. This is more fun for me.

DireStr8s

Thrakier said:

Well, you've said your piece (in both threads, repeatly). You gonna bow out now? You're not buying the game anytime soon; what's left to do here?

Thrakier

nickslicl said:
Well, you've your piece (in both threads, repeatly). You gonna bow out now? You're not buying the game anytime soon; what's left to do here?

I'm not doing anyting. Just discussing the game with the others, pros and cons.

M3Freak

Banned
Thrakier said:

Yeah, that's the route I'm taking. Forget the MP (for me, it won't compare to RFoM's), and the SP looks questionable.

Besides, I'm playing Deus Ex: HR right now and I'm hell bent on making sure I play it into the ground and finish it before U3 hits.

iNvid02

resistance 3 - september
uncharted 3 - november

you could do what im doing now and buy it at launch, do the campaign and sell it
dont even use the online pass and it will hold its value fine

Ashes

Banned
Thrakier said:

lol.

I hope not. Insomniac went about this project the right way. More time for polish; more time for development; catered to the franchise's fans (even if they say they went their own direction), went for artistic merit instead of 'holy smokes: sixty players', the soundtrack is ace, and some of the smaller touches like the wind blowing the trees is all kind of awesome.

I can't say it's a glowing report; the 8 player co-op should have been in; and no vehicles sections you get to control is a variation that not a lot of fps choose to omit. In fact they said there were no vehicle sections at all when they released the trailer with the trains, and the boat levels... :p Oh and there's this one playthrough I saw, where the scene direction, dialogue etc was really crappy; where Cappelli is talking to a stranger, before the plane jumping scene.

And there are some things I take for granted from Insomniac that may not be in this game like the campaign's length. If it's under 10 hours on normal; I'd be a tad disappointed. Having played the boat level demo, and noticing no difficulty spike, between levels, I think I will play this game on the higher difficulty.

The last thing is the journey to New York. I don't really like America. Of the Resistance games released so far, I prefer, storywise, the ones set in Europe, whether that be England, or France.

patsu

Many games don't compare to RFOM. ^_^

But at least you guys are playing SP. Drop by some time to see us. @_@

Part of me thinks that both of you should just rent the game though (Ha ha). That way, you won't feel burdened by the purchase.

EDIT:
The other part of me thinks that both of you still care about Insomniac. Enough to bother posting here (not just lurking). Anyhow all the best to you !

Ashes

Banned
patsu said:

Part of me thinks that both of you should just rent the game though (Ha ha). That way, you won't feel burdened by the purchase.

EDIT:
The other part of me thinks that both of you still care about Insomniac. Enough to bother posting here (not just lurking). Anyhow all the best to you !

If that includes me; don't... I've pre-ordered the game. And admittedly for the silliest reason in the end. The inside cover. I'm brushing that off as: we all have our quirks! :p

I'm just sayin, that you can be balanced in criticism, and fair, as well as overwhelm an opinion with extremities in negatives or positives. :p

Melchiah

Loudninja said:
Matchmaking is acting a little funky Js.

Yeah, just played few matches, where there were few stage 1. guys like me, and then there were those that were on stage 18. and such. Hardly fair I'd say.

patsu

Melchiah said:
Yeah, just played few matches, where there were few stage 1. guys like me, and then there were those that were on stage 18. and such. Hardly fair I'd say.

I agree. Matchmaking may need some tuning. At this very moment, the beta testers should get matched to each other more often than to level 1 dudes. Some exposure is nice but not every time.

Loudninja

Melchiah said:
Level does not matter, sure they may have more options but they will get take down just as easily.

patsu

It's harder to take me down when I deploy my healing perk, and turret together. I could take out 4 guys together. I'm not that good.

I haven't maxed out my weapon upgrade yet too.

delta25

Banned
Thrakier said:

ok, now your just trolling, give it a rest already, we get it you don't like R3's visuals...move the fuck on

smh

Loudninja

patsu said:
It's harder to take me down when I deploy my healing perk, and turret together. I could take out 4 guys together. I'm not that good.

I haven't maxed out my weapon upgrade yet too.
Like I said none of that matters, I have those skills yet low level players still get the best of me sometimes.Oh well we just have to agree to disagree :)

Melchiah

Loudninja said:
Level does not matter, sure they may have more options but they will get take down just as easily.

It doesn't matter in itself, but higher level players are bound to be more experienced, and I'd rather play with and against people who are about equally (in)experienced as I am.

Ashes

Banned
Loudninja said:
Like I said none of that matters, I have those skills yet low level players still get the best of me sometimes.Oh well we just have to agree to disagree :)

The key to matchmaking is to figure out, what the majority will play like, not individuals. It can't be purely levels, nor can that factor be omitted, as it is an incontestable advantage. However, the first couple of games, you really have to match levels. Game designers then have to decide how much weight is to be added based on stats like kill/death ratio in game twenty onwards etc.

I'm kinda interested, but not enough to research the subject in hand. :p in the age of the alway on online, they probably have ton of data available to help make the calls.

Loudninja

Melchiah said:
It doesn't matter in itself, but higher level players are bound to be more experienced, and I'd rather play with and against people who are about equally (in)experienced as I am.
That is true, but just because they are low level does not mean they are bad players.It comes down to skill I think!

Thrakier

patsu said:

EDIT:

That's probably it, Patsu. But I guess it's because I do care that I get disapointed so easily. It's the same what happened with Lince and KZ3, for example. And FFO. ;D Although it happened to them also with R2. And again with R3 after I heard what they were saying about the beta.^^

Rolf NB

So what's the approximate age of the code in the public PSN beta. Yeah, it's getting patched. But is it really "current"? In terms of user interface, pre-match/post-match stuff, is the game further along internally?

Melchiah

Loudninja said:
That is true, but just because they are low level does not mean they are bad players.It comes down to skill I think!

Naturally, but there's also the learning period, which the higher lever players have already went through, where you learn to get familiar with the maps and little nuances of the game. Eventually you'll catch up, but the first times could be better with a bunch of rookies. Then there are the casual players, who play the game a couple of times a week, and those who play it every day. Being more of the former, I'd rather play with my kind, than with the hardcore group.

Loudninja

Melchiah said:
Naturally, but there's also the learning period, which the higher lever players have already went through, where you learn to get familiar with the maps and little nuances of the game. Eventually you'll catch up, but the first times could be better with a bunch of rookies. Then there are the casual players, who play the game a couple of times a week, and those who play it every day. Being more of the former, I'd rather play with my kind, than with the hardcore group.
Very true.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Rolf NB said:
So what's the approximate age of the code in the public PSN beta. Yeah, it's getting patched. But is it really "current"? In terms of user interface, pre-match/post-match stuff, is the game further along internally?

really old. The gold code is pretty different at this point. A lot of fixes.

KingDizzi

Banned
Hanmik said:
Sony in Denmark just held an event for this game.. here are some pictures from the event, which looked great..

DsuUf.jpg

Amy Winehouse sex doll.

How long is the SP gonna be?

jackdoe

The MP beta has been a blurry mess thus far for me personally. But it really isn't the sub-hd resolution that bothers me the most though. It's the low resolution alpha(?) textures, i.e. the grass on the seaside level which looks like a jaggy mess. Hopefully, SP doesn't have this problem cause it is a bit disappointing to see all these neat postprocessing effects offset by a sub-HD resolution and the low resolution foliage.

patsu

Thrakier said:
That's probably it, Patsu. But I guess it's because I do care that I get disapointed so easily. It's the same what happened with Lince and KZ3, for example. And FFO. ;D Although it happened to them also with R2. And again with R3 after I heard what they were saying about the beta.^^

Well they certainly have their expectations. Then again, I overheard their complains about other online games frequently in the chatroom too, including U3 beta.

The earlier (closed) R3 beta did suck big time due to crashes and lag. I'd be surprised if people don't complain. I did too. Even the latest beta still has a few rough edges. I hope Insomniac continues to stay on top of the situation.

But the developers should always be allowed to choose their own direction, even if it's one that some of their customers disagree.

It seems that the group in the chatroom love the Battlefield series. I'm personally indifferent to the game. I like how R3 is different from U3 and BF3. If the servers are stable, I'd probably play R3 much more frequently since it's short and fun. U3, BF3, and others will also get playtime when I am more available.

Loudninja

Resistance 3 Abilities and Attributes: The List

Full List:
Support Ability

Bubble Shield: Deploys a static shield around the player till it wears off or sustains enough damage to break.
Healing Beacon: Forms a circle of health regeneration where the player and their team will heal faster while they stand in it.
Ammo Beacon: Forms a circle of ammo regeneration for the equipped weapon of the player or their team while they stand in it.
Radar Beacon: Deploys a beacon that puts all enemies on radar within a limited local range.
Spotter: Enemies seen by the player will be “marked” and easier to see. They will also be visible on the player’s teammate’s radar.
Radar Decoy: Beacon that comes up on enemy radar as red dot and produces a hologram – If an enemy is within 5 meter of the decoy – it blows up.

Full List:
Tactical Ability

Lightning Shield: Player creates a temporary field around them that negates melee damage and harms the attacker.
Doppelganger: Player creates identical image of himself that is offset from their position and follows them around the map – imitating all the players’ gestures.
Thermal Vision: Player can clearly see all enemies on the map – even through walls and other obstacles.
Assassin: Makes the player’s movement silent and makes them look like the other team.
Dash: Allows the player to dash forward.
Turret: A turret is deployed that attacks enemies for a certain period of time.

Full List:

Personal Attribute

Demolitions: Increased damage for all explosive weapons/damage generated by the player.
Body Armor: Boosts player health, but reduces player movements.
Hazmat Suit: Eliminates all damage-over-time effects and also prevents attached projectiles from sticking to the player.
Gunslinger: Increases the player’s accuracy while firing on the run.
Bandolier: Increases the player’s ammo and alternative fire capacity.
Visual Health Indicators: Player will be able to see the amount of health enemies have.
Leaper Corpse: Upon death, leapers will burst from the player’s corpse and attack nearby enemies.
Tactician: Makes all Abilities cool down slightly faster.
Tracker: The player will be able to see the footprints of the enemy for a certain amount of time.
Full List:
Combat Attribute

Grenadier: Increases grenade capacity and amount of grenade types the player can carry.
Air-Cooled Barrel: Increases the rate of fire for primary weapons while using the iron sights.
Scan Jammer: Causes distortion in enemy tracking systems when the player is near.
Scavenger: Fallen enemies give 25% health, and ammo/alt-fire packs to the player when they run over them.
Patience: The longer the player has the enemy within their crosshairs – the larger amount of bonus damage the weapon will do to that enemy.
Strapped: Player can choose two starting primary weapons.
Berserker: Reduces the kill requirements for berserks.
Team Player: Increases the radius of support abilities.
Hotfoot: The player has increased sprint duration and movement speed.

http://www.insomniacgames.com/resistance-3-abilities-and-attributes-the-list/

I bolded the ones in the beta, only one have a problem with is Berserker. I am not worry though we tested 15 of these already.

vDaedalus

Dash + Shotgun

I'm already upset. haha. The Berserk ability might be a problem, especially when you're playing against the humans. Assault shields everywhere! :(

patsu

They better have good matchmaking !

So glad there is a hardcore mode. It might turn out to be easier for newcomers. ^_^

dralla

so assassins is basically disguise? that is seriously the worst ability ever, it makes everyone jumpy. i would seriously not even play the MP because of it.

and you shouldn't be able to build turrets instantly. every time im about to die i tap right and drop one and get points, it's really dumb. should take 5 seconds or so

Loudninja

Got to use the Hazmat suit, if you hate being kill by the mutator, catching flames and getting tag than this is for you.

Violater

JS I hope you guys get the support from the fans and newcomers to reward the change in development scheduling and extra work all you guys/gals put in.

Loudninja

dralla said:
so assassins is basically disguise? that is seriously the worst ability ever, it makes everyone jumpy. i would seriously not even play the MP because of it.

and you shouldn't be able to build turrets instantly. every time im about to die i tap right and drop one and get points, it's really dumb. should take 5 seconds or so
Lots of factors dralla, it depends on how long it last, and what ability you have on to see though it.I think you have way more ways to counter it than in the KZ games.

Top Bottom