• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mulligan said:
Okay, the campaign is sooo good. The atmosphere from FOM is back and then some.. the graphics are superb and everything so far is just.. wow. This is coming from someone who isn't a great fan of the series, but this, this is shaping up to be my favourite FPS this gen or atleast one of them. Bravo Insomniac, your R2 shortcomings are more than forgiven.
As someone who was actually a fan of Resistance 2's campaign this makes me super excited. The release date for this has snuck up on me too since I've been busy with Deus Ex. Can't wait for Tuesday.

Mulligan said:
Okay, the campaign is sooo good. The atmosphere from FOM is back and then some.. the graphics are superb and everything so far is just.. wow. This is coming from someone who isn't a great fan of the series, but this, this is shaping up to be my favourite FPS this gen or atleast one of them. Bravo Insomniac, your R2 shortcomings are more than forgiven.

are you reviewing? what's going on here?

KingK

Ok, the incredibly slow matchmaking is making it impossible for me to get into any more games. I think I'm just going to wait for them to fix it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
KingK said:
Ok, the incredibly slow matchmaking is making it impossible for me to get into any more games. I think I'm just going to wait for them to fix it.

we just deployed a fix in the last 15 minutes or so and it seems to be working here.

basically, we've reached like, 4x the players we've had at any point in the beta. It's insane. And as such, we found some new issues with matchmaking, but we're getting there. Both Ted and Tim (who sit by me) are getting into full games every try now.

KingK

jstevenson said:
we just deployed a fix in the last 15 minutes or so and it seems to be working here.

basically, we've reached like, 4x the players we've had at any point in the beta. It's insane. And as such, we found some new issues with matchmaking, but we're getting there. Both Ted and Tim (who sit by me) are getting into full games every try now.

Alright, thanks for the quick reply! I'll try again in a little bit. Really impressed with what I've played so far today though, btw.

Salz01

I'm watching this thread like a hawk. Hoping for more good impressions from gafers. I want to preorder. But still hesitant.

Taij

Salz01 said:
I'm watching this thread like a hawk. Hoping for more good impressions from gafers. I want to preorder. But still hesitant.

Do it! You won't be sorry, this game is really good.

Finished Resistance: Hole In The Sky the other day can't wait to pick this game up next week. I've been a big fan of the universe since the first game and can't wait to see how this game concludes.

Zombie Lyle said:
Finished Resistance: Hole In The Sky the other day can't wait to pick this game up next week. I've been a big fan of the universe since the first game and can't wait to see how this game concludes.

Fuck I cant believe I didnt know this came out already. I loved Gathering Storm so much, was Hole in the Sky good?

DarkChild

Banned
I'm not going to pre order it...I'm going straight to the shop,old school way.Hope they break street date(sorry James :p ).

Loudninja

patsu said:
Round 1:
BobTheFork + MarksMan vs Dralla + BullsEye

Both men think that their weapon of choice makes them feel like cheating. :)

EDIT: Dralla, I don't like Carbine also. Loudninja seems to like it.
I get a lot of kills with it its a really fun weapon to use.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
DarkChild said:
I'm not going to pre order it...I'm going straight to the shop,old school way.Hope they break street date(sorry James :p ).

I hope they do break it for you - I want people to play the campaign so they can tell their friends how awesome it is.

How awesome is it you ask?

So awesome.

/shameless

Nightz

jstevenson said:
I hope they do break it for you - I want people to play the campaign so they can tell their friends how awesome it is.

How awesome is it you ask?

So awesome.

/shameless
<3 You're awesome.

On a side note, there's a guy on eBay selling copies of R3.

dralla

o shit, the mutator. once you realize the charge shot is worthless, it is a beast. i had no idea when you infect someone they literally run around trying to suicide bomb. i killed a guy with it, he ran into a house, up the stairs and exploded on a guy camping up there.

healing field + turrent + marks man turrent = a billion points

Loudninja

Mulligan said:
Nice loving the single player impressions.

Edit:Btw R3 install will be 1.5GB,you will have a motion comic to watch while it installs.

I may still prefer the Carbine, but it feels different in this game. I feel like hip firing isn't acuarate enough for me, the bullseye doesn't feel that way. If I have the carbine at the hip, it feels like I put a red X on someone chest for way too long. It's not like I'm staying still though so it's hard to tell. If I zoom, even at a closer distance than I would think to. You can just put a line of shots into the chest and they just drop.

Drewfonse

Mulligan said:

More please....

Mulligan said:

What's the image quality like compared to the multiplayer beta? It's gotta be better right?

dralla

oh my gawd da mutator. one guy exploded onto 3 others, serial kill medal.

i wish this had a cinema mode. if my pc wasn't fucked up i'd capture some footage of it. people dont realize its good because it's not a 'normal' weapon.

Loudninja

dralla said:

i wish this had a cinema mode. if my pc wasn't fucked up i'd capture some footage of it. people dont realize its good because it's not a 'normal' weapon.
Glad you join the mutator party its such a fun weapon to use.Some people actually think its a really weak weapon lo.

Zoibie

Loudninja said:
Glad you join the mutator party its such a fun weapon to use.Some people actually think its a really weak weapon lo.

The thing that put me off initially was the slow movement when it was equipped, I'll have to give it another shot.

Reckoner

I will take the plunge and say that I'm becoming kinda interested in the game. After Resistance 2, I lost most of the interest for the series, even after how enjoyable FOM was. Went back now to the beta and finally it all seems ok and a fun experience.

Well, guess I'll get it.

KingK

Ok, the matchmaking in the Beta is working perfectly for me now. Just played a bunch of rounds of chain reaction. Really really fun. Much more so than I was expecting, actually. I'm up to level 9, I think. I've been switching back and forth between the Bullseye and the sniper rifle, but I'm thinking about giving the Marksman a shot.

Only downside is that every single match I've played has been on the Seaside level, lol.

Anyway, if the single player demo impresses me, and the reviews seem good, I think I'll get this as close to day 1 as I can. I wasn't originally planning on getting it until maybe after a price drop/sale, but it's impressing me a lot more than I thought it would.

Dudes. My experience with Resistance games is fairly limited. I clocked FoM back in the days of yore and I played about 10 minutes of R2 before crying/vomiting. I've NEVER touched anything MP related when it comes to the series, so my questions to you are:

How steep is the learning curve?

Will I get raped?

Is the community solid?

What do the gunplay mechanics feel like? i.e. I get a CoD-ish feel purely from watching it in motion, just not as fast-paced; in other words, between CoD and BF:BC2, it definitely seems to lie more on the CoD side of the spectrum.

Also, is motion blur consistent across MP/SP? I love me some well-done motion blur.

I consider myself to be fairly proficient when it comes to any game with a gun. And for a point of reference, I'd consider Gears of War 3 to have probably the most punishing learning curve/noob deterrent I've encountered.

Much thanks!

patsu

dralla said:

It's more powerful than BullsEye at close range too. 8^(

Loudninja

mickcenary said:
Dudes. My experience with Resistance games is fairly limited. I clocked FoM back in the days of yore and I played about 10 minutes of R2 before crying/vomiting. I've NEVER touched anything MP related when it comes to the series, so my questions to you are:

Will I get raped?

Is the community solid?

What do the gunplay mechanics feel like? i.e. I get a CoD-ish feel purely from watching it in motion, just not as fast-paced; in other words, between CoD and BF:BC2, it definitely seems to lie more on the CoD side of the spectrum.

Also, is motion blur consistent across MP/SP? I love me some well-done motion blur.

I consider myself to be fairly proficient when it comes to any game with a gun. And for a point of reference, I'd consider Gears of War 3 to have probably the most punishing learning curve/noob deterrent I've encountered.

Much thanks!
Play the beta its free.

dralla

well I think im done for the day. got to level 28 in one day of playing. i think what they should do with the carbine is make it so the triple 40MM shot takes out shields. it will at least give it some use. i know theres an EMP grenade for that but still. none of my loadouts have the carbine. Don't think the atomizer is all that great aside from capturing points in CR. Atomizer/Body Armor/Bubble Shield = tank, but somewhat useless in TDM.

patsu

mickcenary said:

It confused me at first because of all the perks. Then I got used to it.

Will I get raped?

Most likely yes, but you'll get over it pretty quickly because each round is so short. You'll likely level up quickly too.

Is the community solid?

Yes but that j-something-something person up there is really after your money. v_v
[What the hell does a community do when it goes solid anyway ?]

I don't know how to answer this part so I'll tell you what my first girl friend taught me:
* You like something when you see positive elements of a person/an object.
* You love something when you see negative elements of a person/an object but still couldn't help it.

And sh*t, someone sang in my party. custom soundtrack my foot. jstevenson, can we have a perk to jettison people from our team ?

Loudninja

dralla said:
well I think im done for the day. got to level 28 in one day of playing. i think what they should do with the carbine is make it so the triple 40MM shot takes out shields. it will at least give it some use. i know theres an EMP grenade for that but still. none of my loadouts have the carbine. Don't think the atomizer is all that great aside from capturing points in CR. Atomizer/Body Armor/Bubble Shield = tank, but somewhat useless in TDM.
The body armor don't add much at all, and you cant shoot form shield the bubble shield.

dralla

yea but if if youre capping a point, someone will have to come into your bubble to stop you. i havent actually tried it. maybe its just not a great primary weapon. i will mess around with it tomorrow. i didnt like the mutator at first either, now i think its arguably the best weapon in the game

Loudninja

dralla said:
yea but if if youre capping a point, someone will have to come into your bubble to stop you. i havent actually tried it. maybe its just not a great primary weapon
Its a good weapon, its not over power and the secondary fire is useful.It great for leapers as well.

Radec

Is it me or is it just when you entered a house, there's like 2-3 secs where you can't see almost anything inside until the darkness fades? Is that a lighting feature?

Pikma

Banned
patsu said:
Dralla, I would like to introduce Pikma to you.

dralla said:
yea but if if youre capping a point, someone will have to come into your bubble to stop you. i havent actually tried it. maybe its just not a great primary weapon. i will mess around with it tomorrow. i didnt like the mutator at first either, now i think its arguably the best weapon in the game

Hello! I'm Pikma, nice to meet you :3
The trick is NOT using bubble shields while having equiped the Atomizer, since that basically runs it useless, the trick is deploying a turret and a healing beacon, then you start sucking the life out of everything that moves, while you capture that point C:

noonche

BobTheFork said:
I may still prefer the Carbine, but it feels different in this game. I feel like hip firing isn't acuarate enough for me, the bullseye doesn't feel that way. If I have the carbine at the hip, it feels like I put a red X on someone chest for way too long. It's not like I'm staying still though so it's hard to tell. If I zoom, even at a closer distance than I would think to. You can just put a line of shots into the chest and they just drop.

You should aim for the head. It's supposed to be a more precise weapon then the Bullseye.

Top Bottom