• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Wollan

reshead.gif

---
January 11th: Resistance 2 announced. World ends.

January 1st 2008: Resistance 2 Reveal thread launched. Edit: & Locked.

December 24th(18th): OMG. Resistance 2 trademarked!

December 20th: Insomniac Games named developer of the year 2007!

December 20th: Xmas greeting from Insomniac and Cloven skin unlocks. All here.

November 9th:
Map pack 2 announced! Scheduled for the end of this year. Read about it on post 11715 and onwards. (Update: Now available on PS Store)

---
November 1st:
The Official Resistance Photo Thread has now been launched.

---
October 31st:

The fourth significant patch has now been released on halloween. Photomode, DualShock3 rumble and skeletons! Details here!

---
October 10th 2007 (later that day:)
BobTheFork wrote an article and impression of the Resistance tournament and it was published on the NeoGAF frontpage. Highly recommended read.

---
October 10th 2007:

NeoGAF and Evilore are now striving to make the Online / Matchup forum to be of more use. All people who continue to use the Gaming Discussion board as a online meetup place will be dealt with accordingly. Don't worry though!
• The Official Resistance MP thread has been created by Tanod (@ the NeoGAF Online / Matchup forum).
For all your multiplayer activities please use that thread.

---
August 2007:

The Official and first ever Resistance Tournament, started July 7th with the Final haven taken place in New York on August 12th. BobTheFork represented NeoGAF on location.

Check out how it went from start to finish here: The Road to Adequacy thread by BobTheFork.

• Right Click and Save - Insomniac Games Fullmoon podcast #12 - BobTheFork is guest, tons of NeoGAF shoutouts!

insholiday2006.jpg

Thanks to BuddyC for sharing this gift from Insomniac.

GENERAL INFO

October 26th 2006:
I felt it was time to bring up the official thread for what’s possibly Sony’s biggest title of the year and what’s a huge testament to Insomniac’s talent as a standalone developer. Not only are they going to ship a game that will become a strong contender for the game of 2006, they are shipping what is quite possibly the most important title for the PS3’s infant year, promoting both the system as well as Sony’s new PlayStation network online service. And they are shipping it on day one. Here are the basic facts from Insomniacs own page:

In Resistance: Fall of Man, US and British forces band together in a last-ditch effort to save England from a horrific scourge -- the Chimera. This parasitic species infects other life forms with a virus that rapidly mutates victims into new Chimera. In mere decades this race has ripped apart populations across Asia and Europe and by 1951 has landed on the shores of England. You play the part of US Army Ranger Nathan Hale fighting alongside a group of British resistance soldiers to free the country from the Chimera and to halt their spread across the globe.

• Insomniac Games has combined its passion for creating exotic weapons and vehicles with its proprietary physics system to create a unique human and Chimeran arsenal.
• Encounter a wide variety of fluidly moving characters and creatures that exhibit sophisticated behaviors and interact believably with each other and with intricate environments.
• A powerful proprietary rendering engine allows a greater variety of highly detailed and interactive environments resulting in an immersive console FPS experience. Experience the chaos of large, crowded battlefields and tense close combat within infested military command centers and decimated urban landscapes based on real locations in Great Britain.
• Features a story-driven single player campaign with multiple difficulty levels, co-op play through the single player campaign, offline multiplayer and one of the most complete online multiplayer offerings on a console.
• Greater processing power with PlayStation 3, higher storage capacity with BluRay and Dolby 7.1 surround sound output provide a truly immersive experience with next gen sights and sounds.

The game has now officially been released worldwide and has the honor of being the first million+ selling title on the system. It's also Insomniacs fastest selling title ever. Grats!

ResistanceCoverN.jpg

r1N.jpg

r2N.jpg

r3N.jpg

To learn more about the back story then visit this excellent and well presented site:
*Updated as of 11/17* (Now frozen with ice) Now covers years from 1898 to July 1951.
The website is complete though the absolute complete time line can be found in the official strategy guide.
http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/OGS/GMID-018/Site/default.html

Here is the latest trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_Ux9_ErJk

Russian themed trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/v/KQWbqtL7FOs

MULTIPLAYER

• The Official Resistance MP thread @ NeoGAF Online / Matchup Forum

To learn pretty much everything about the multiplayer, take a look at these informative videos hosted by Mr. Ted Price himself:

VID 1 (menu 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xKWvK0v3J0
VID 2 (menu 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHOkyzElbVw
VID 3 (stat tracking)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2GVuQYXoxs
VID4 (Breach gametype mode)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1O4uZvBmW0
VID5 (Breach continued)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MAE1vgGP3Y
VID6 (Playing as Chimera in Meltdown mode)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkjJpq2dcpw

1st Multiplayer Map Pack has now been released!
It includes two huge multiplayer maps which supports all game modes for upto 40 simultaneous players to battle it out on. The map pack costs 7.99$/2.99£ and the two new maps are:

Westmorland, snowy outdoors with Chimerian architecture:
310_Westmorland_02.1.jpg

Camborne, set to autumn with huge underground passages for focused gunfights:
320_Camborne_02.1.jpg

jabra-bt125.jpg

For info on headsets that has been tested with the game go here:
http://www.myresistance.net/smf/index.php?topic=385.0

Official online stat tracking page is now live. Keep a track of your profile,
connect accounts and look at other peoples results. Not to mention, a large community forum:

http://www.myresistance.net/

ResClan.gif

*******************NeoGAF Resistance Clan**********************

If you're interested in joining the NeoGAF Resistance clan and you have successfully created your PS3 Network account and got both console and game in hand, pm tanod (preferly from PSN) with your details to join the NeoGAF Resistance Clan. We are around two hundred strong and welcome every reader of NeoGAF. Thanks to tanod for stepping up.

---
October 10th 2007:

NeoGAF and Evilore are now striving to make the Online / Matchup forum to be of more use. All people who continue to use the Gaming Discussion board as a online meetup place will be dealt with accordingly. Don't worry though!
• The Official Resistance MP thread has been created by Tanod (@ the NeoGAF Online / Matchup forum).
For all your multiplayer activities please use that thread.

NeoGAFResistanceClanN.jpg

ResistanceGAF77N.jpg

ResistanceGAF007.jpg

2aam5g4N.jpg

RANDOM/UPDATES

• Subscribe to the Insomniac Full Moon Podcast which launched post release of Resistance.

• Various comments on the game:

Luke Smith (Bungie): “I bless this game. I was thrilled playing it... I'm looking forward to seeing what's under the rest of Resistance's hood.”

Sterling McGarvey (Gamespy): “Looks, handles, and feels like one of the best console FPS titles we've played since fighting Covenant and Flood.”

Cliffy B (Epic): “It looks... solid.”

Chris Roper (IGN): “The first-person shooter looks to be everything that a killer launch app should be -- it's original, looks fantastic and makes true use of Sony's next-generation console.”

Ted Price: “I dig it.”

OPM had the world exclusive review (which was printed in their December 06 issue) and according to Joe Rybicki, the reviewer: “it is a really really good game........it is a really really good game...........it is a really really good game.........between single player and online, it is very very entertaining.”

• One of the best interviews of 2006 and it's all about Resistance and Insomniac. Highly recommended:
Interview with Insomniacs Market & Communication executive and Lead Multiplayer designer. The interview starts 26mins into this. A lot of great humor and insight.

• December 5th 2006, UFO crashes in Siberia (real story):
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/12/01/ufocrash.shtml

• Patches:

December 21st: The first patch is now available with a serious amount of tuning and changes applied. Read the details in post 1970 in this very thread.

March 21st: Exactly three months after the first patch the second one releases. Again Insomniac delivers a expansive patch with a lot of tweaks and some additions. The details can be found in post 5511.

June 29th: The third patch is now available and it's really really significant. It enables worldwide play, adds in game XMB friendlist access, lip syncing for voice chat, facial animations, disconnection cooldown and much much more. To coincide with this patch the first purchasable Map Pack has released as well (see above). For more details about the patch read this thread.

October 31st: The fourth significant patch has now been released on halloween. Photomode, DualShock3 rumble and skeletons! Details here!

Big thanks to m0dus for taking the time to create the banner and footer.
resfoot.gif

Surreal

I'll be expecting 10s across the board with OPM's review. Anything less and Insomniac has failed in my eyes.
lmao

How can a reviewer give an opinion on online multiplayer when, you'd assume, it's not going to be at it's best, experience wise, until lots of people are online playing? I've always assumed it'd be hard to review games with robust online modes.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
TheJollyCorner said:
I paid it off a few days ago.

I'll see you knuckleheads online 11/17, baby! VIVA RESISTAAAAAAANCE! :D
you and me both.

are we all still doing the gaf clan stuff? :p

Wollan

kaching said:
I never really understand why these "official" threads get started weeks in advance...

To build excitement. Reviews usually start coming in a couple of weeks in advance as well so it's nice to have it at one place. :)

Speevy

Banned
Wollan said:
To build excitement. Reviews usually start coming in a couple of weeks in advance as well so it's nice to have it at one place. :)

Not this time. Everyone's under NDA. If this were March, every single April game would have been reviewed already.

Find it strange that Gears, Resistance, Viva Pinata, NFS: Carbon, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, Genji 2, Red Steel, Zelda TP, etc. all haven't a single review?

kevm3

At first, I wasn't very thrilled with this game, but it's definitely gotten much better over time. In screens it almost looks like concept art. The game is just so busy. I also love the variety in the environments.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
kevm3 said:
At first, I wasn't very thrilled with this game, but it's definitely gotten much better over time. In screens it almost looks like concept art. The game is just so busy. I also love the variety in the environments.

Me too my man, me too.

Wollan

Most reviews will wait til launch days yes but I guess we will see the OPM review typed online next week. Of course this topic is for general chatter as for general info for those who haven't followed the game as well.

Wollan

Chiggs said:
Anyone here know about the length of the singleplayer campaign?

It has 12 large levels but I don't have an estimate on how long it will take. The game is pretty hard it seems so it won't be easy.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Wollan said:
It has 12 large levels but I don't have an estimate on how long it will take. The game is pretty hard it seems so it won't be easy.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Wollan

jjasper said:
I know we have talked about it on and off but are we going to have a clan?

I'm not secured a PS3 in November as well as I will potentially be playing cross atlantic so I'm going to give the honor to someone else.

dante786

Banned
This is probably the only game thats really gonna make me regret not having a PS3, at launch anyway. Game didnt used to do anything for me but it came on really strong recently, looks absolutely fantastic.

jjasper said:
I know we have talked about it on and off but are we going to have a clan?

I'm there on launch day so count me in!

I new about MOST of those weapons, but I have to say im intrigued by the separate aiming dual pistols

Oneself

I already "fully paid" Ridge Racer 7 and Resistance. And yeah, I'm first on the PS3 pre-order list too. See you online on Nov.17th bitches!:D

Agent X

Gold Member
I plan on joining in the festivities on November 17 as well. It would be great if we could assemble a NeoGAF clan for this game.

Man, the whole death by fire thing seems pretty grim in that MP clip. There is nothing you can do to save yourself from dying once you get engulfed, you just drain away until you die? That's pretty wicked, if that's case.

Yamaha98

Derailing the topic somewhat, but how does this launch-title compare to the 360's PD0 (also a FPS launch-title)? I never played PD0 because it did not have much appeal from what I saw but this seems more interesting when compared to the all the previews, videos & brief tech demos.

Wollan

AltogetherAndrews said:
There is nothing you can do to save yourself from dying once you get engulfed, you just drain away until you die? That's pretty wicked, if that's case.

Yeah. It's the secondary function of the Dragon, you place a fire trap that if stepped on does just that.

I've been excited for months. I won a part in the Resistance contest, so I get to play this on Nov 13th at Insomniac. :) And hopefully win a PS3.

J-Rzez

I'll be on Nov 17th... First on the one list... Resistance paid in full... I'll be bouncing back and forth between this and COD3... and maybe a lil RR7... Oblivion will stay in it's wrapper since I already just about beat that, but I may throw it in to see if there are any differences...

I forsee most likely though Resistance eating up my time the most :)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Can I propose a NeoGAF clan? Its probably already been done.

I just watched starship troopers last night so the only name I can think of is the Roughnecks.

HOO RAH

Tabs

We just got the invite to go out to Burbank and play this on Nov. 6th and 7th. We'll be fully exploring the multiplayer modes with everyone else there. Can't wait.

Wollan

You want to see a really cool effect in Resistance?
Take a look at the video on this page. The language is Norwegian, sorry about that, but they are basically trying the PS3 for the first time in private and got 2 hours to spend with it. They are very impressed by the elegance of the system (the quietness, the quick boot up..etc) and the game they praised the most was Resistance. In the last quarter of the movie they test the glass physics and it's really nice. Take a look:

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2006/10/27/481078.html

jedimike

It's no secret. I'm not a big "Sony" fan. Never owned any itteration of a Sony console. However, this game has been very high on my radar. The demonstration by Ted Price blew me away. These are the kind of games I love playing and so far Resistance looks like it will be one of the top FPS's for quite a while.

Manp

this game will definitely be my first PS3 title at launch in march... my only concern are the weapons, they all seems to sound in the same way and generally the sound effects seems really weak

at least judging by the videos

:)

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
"It's amazing to think that this is a day-one game. It's already beyond - both technology and gameplay-wise anything on [its competitor] ... a year after it's launch. "
Randy Nelson - on the latest PSM Mag

Will this be the offical GAF Clan thread as well? or are we making a new one for that one.

he said Xbox 360 butI don't want to derail this thread.

Wollan

I won't moderate/lead or control the clan (a responsible volunteer here?) but I can start adding a list to the top here for people who want to join. Say so if you want to be a part of a NeoGAF Resistance clan.

Top Bottom