• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

DeadGzuz

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I just downloaded the demo today (new PS3) and really disliked the size of the analog dead zone and its abrupt transition when aiming the cursor. Precision targeting felt really herky-jerky. However, as far as I can tell the demo doesn't include any control options (beyond inverted Y axis). Is there a remedy for this in the retail version?

A remedy for a problem no one else had? I'm going to file this under 'not an issue'. :D

Seriously, never noticed anything, the game is great.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I just downloaded the demo today (new PS3) and really disliked the size of the analog dead zone and its abrupt transition when aiming the cursor. Precision targeting felt really herky-jerky. However, as far as I can tell the demo doesn't include any control options (beyond inverted Y axis). Is there a remedy for this in the retail version?

There are tons of options to customise the controls at your will (button layout, stick sensitivity, but no dead zone control). That shouldn't prevent you from trying R2 though, the controls are very different, R2 is closer to CoD and relies heavily on the zoom view, you can still run and gun, but the guns lose tons of their accuracy and it's only efficient in close combat.

DeadGzuz said:
A remedy for a problem no one else had? I'm going to file this under 'not an issue'. :D

Seriously, never noticed anything, the game is great.

Uh huh.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6446975&postcount=7194

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5926996&postcount=5832

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4847696&postcount=707

Tbh, if your post was all I had to go on I probably wouldn't even bother giving the game another look. Not sure if that was your intention. Thanks for getting me to use the thread search more thoroughly at least. I guess that's... something.

:p

RockmanWhore said:
There are tons of options to customise the controls at your will (button layout, stick sensitivity, but no dead zone control). That shouldn't prevent you from trying R2 though, the controls are very different, R2 is closer to CoD and relies heavily on the zoom view, you can still run and gun, but the guns lose tons of their accuracy and it's only efficient in close combat.
An actual answer. Thank you. Sensitivity options could make a difference. I think the dead zone would be less of an issue if the cursor didn't jump so fast, so maybe tweaking that will help. I don't play a ton of FPS games either, so maybe I am leaning too heavily on picking guys off at a distance for how this game is designed. I'll keep that in mind next time I give the demo a spin.

JB1981

the_prime_mover said:
weird that this thread popped up. I just pulled this off the shelf to replay it. I wonder if there is still an online community for this game.

hey at least the game has no lag. we used to have some epic gaf games for this. not sure another ps3 shooter has been played as much as this game was in its heyday. i can't say that i ever really loved the multiplayer though. i hate a huge love/hate relationship with it, as i have had with virtually every multiplayer game (LOL) but yea, this game had a great GAF following.

the breach and meltdown games were great.

I've been meaning to get this game for a while (along with some first gen oldies I missed when I got my ps3), but with all of the stuff coming out in 2010 I don't know if I'll have the time/money to do so. If only they patched trophies in, that would be an extra incentive! *wink wink*

They haven't patched trophies yet, have they?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
FunkyPajamas said:
I've been meaning to get this game for a while (along with some first gen oldies I missed when I got my ps3), but with all of the stuff coming out in 2010 I don't know if I'll have the time/money to do so. If only they patched trophies in, that would be an extra incentive! *wink wink*

They haven't patched trophies yet, have they?

That's not happening.

Rolf NB

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I don't play a ton of FPS games either, so maybe I am leaning too heavily on picking guys off at a distance for how this game is designed. I'll keep that in mind next time I give the demo a spin.
That's actually a good general approach to most of the bigger fights. What you do is zoom in, to give yourself more accuracy.

It's well established by now that the early Sixaxis controllers have issues with deadzone -- not when they're brand new, but as they age they get loose and their center starts to drift around. Dualshock 3 is much better in that regard, but RFOM was still built around Sixaxis peculiarities.

JB1981 said:
hey at least the game has no lag. we used to have some epic gaf games for this. not sure another ps3 shooter has been played as much as this game was in its heyday. i can't say that i ever really loved the multiplayer though. i hate a huge love/hate relationship with it, as i have had with virtually every multiplayer game (LOL) but yea, this game had a great GAF following.

the breach and meltdown games were great.

I wasn't part of the GAF community for this game, but I had tonnes of fun with it online. Absolutely hated the spawn system though, but maps like Manchester and the larger variations of Sommerset (and variable map sizes in general) were great maps that offered lots of variation in gameplay.

Just spent some time with it online. All of the custom games are shitty one hit kill games - why people would want to play that way . . . but I didn't have to wait long to get into small ranked games. I don't think it is even looking for larger size games. Had one match of 16 which is, I guess, larger than some MW2 games, but most were 8 player affairs with many people quitting. Gunplay is still a lot of fun though it takes a bit to adjust to the fact that there is a secondary fire for every weapon along with grenades and sprinting/seeing through walls.

Servers still seem to be silky smooth.

Insomniac should just rip this out and put in on PSN as a mp only dl, add in some trophies and charge 10-15 bucks for it. I would gladly put more time into this if the possibility of ranked 32 or 40 player games still existed.

Effect

Having the game broken down to actual levels where one fully ends and begins really does break up the flow of the game and story. That normally doesn't bother me but I think the story would have benefited greatly if it didn't do that. Even if it meant hiding the loading of the next level behind a long cut scene ala Halo and Metroid Prime. Does this change in Resistance 2? Howe about the PSP version?

Also is the PSP version a FPS or a third person shooter?

In the end though I'm going to be returning the game today. I really like the story but the controls are the thing I can't get used to. I ended up playing Modern Warfare Reflex and Metroid Prime 3 again last night after playing Resistance earlier that day. I just don't like FPS with a traditional controller. Which I find a bit strange as I not problem with Third Person Shooters and I would think they'd be similar but not so I guess. I guess I can read different sites to get the story or watch the levels played on youtube to get the story as well. I end up doing the same for Halo 2 after a while (played Halo 1 on the PC but haven't bothered with Halo 3) due to not getting used to the controls as much as I liked. However that was before I played FPS on the Wii so I didn't really have a choice but to get used to it.

andycapps

Effect said:
Having the game broken down to actual levels where one fully ends and begins really does break up the flow of the game and story. That normally doesn't bother me but I think the story would have benefited greatly if it didn't do that. Even if it meant hiding the loading of the next level behind a long cut scene ala Halo and Metroid Prime. Does this chance in Resistance 2? Howe about the PSP version?

Also is the PSP version a FPS or a third person shooter?

In the end though I'm going to be returning the game today. I really like the story but the controls are the thing I can't get used to. I ended up playing Modern Warfare Reflex and Metroid Prime 3 again last night after playing Resistance earlier that day. I just don't like FPS with a traditional controller. Which I find a bit strange as I not problem with Third Person Shooters and I would think they'd be similar but not so I guess. I guess I can read different sites to get the story or watch the levels played on youtube to get the story as well. I end up doing the same for Halo 2 after a while (played Halo 1 on the PC but haven't bothered with Halo 3) due to not getting used to the controls as much as I liked. However that was before I played FPS on the Wii so I didn't really have a choice but to get used to it.

PSP version is a 3rd person shooter, and it's a separate story.

I miss GAF nights on this game from a couple years ago when there were huge matches.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I am bumping a 3yr old thread just to say that Resistance fall of man, is the best fps ever made. and I aint even trolling. call me crazy, I dont give a fuck.

I have played every single fps this gen, cod, halo, borderlands etc etc, and no other game has come close to Resistance. I just completed Halo 4 last week, and just completed Resistance fall of man literally 2 seconds ago. and I am still fucking blown away by the death animations, grand scale of the battles, AI, atmosphere, level design and sound. its simple unmatched.

you guys have always known my hatred torward Resistance 3 and my love for Resistance fall of man, my opinion has not changed in the slightest, and its been 6 years.

the game is truly a classic that belongs right beside the likes of Halo and Half life.

I know I give Insomniac alot of shit, but thats because I am bitter that they had such a perfect foundation that could of proved apon with the sequels, but end up going 10 step backwards instead, But I will always respect insomniac for making the best fps this generation.

this game has truly stood the test of time. simply incredible and this is coming from a fps enthusiast.

Man

It was a calorie rich package. Both multiplayer and sp were standout.
Reading about the patches in the bottom of the OT, significant updates added post-release as well.

iNvid02

attachment.php

god damn, the nostalgia.

good singleplayer and great multiplayer, they did so much right with this game.

rfom will take its place among my favourite games this generation

Erasus

Happy to see this back up. I played 1 & 2 but not 3. Then I sold 1.

I gotta get 1 & 3 again soon... They are so good. I remember seeing the pre-insomniac Resistance trailer and it blew me away

Trick_GSF

Banned
Fall of Man will always have a place in my heart. It's a shame the Resistance series couldn't go on to do greater things. All in all the franchise was a bit of a damp squib, but I liked it.

FoM is still my favorite.

Anon67

Not sure if I'm allowed to bump this. I've playing through this game for a few days and man...what a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, it's a funny game though the story + characters are lacking, the weapons are mostly underwhelming for Insomniac's standards, the enemies have little to no personality, the brown color palette is boring, the controls feel awkward at times, the difficulty is based on how many enemies are on-screen, and so much more. I don't see how this was revered back, as it pails in comparison to Halo 1, Halo 2, and Gears of War.

Too bad I can't play the multiplayer. :(

Top Bottom