• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolution: Which game is next?

nasos_333

That logic simply does not work very well, considering you'll have much lower quality assets to begin with.

Lower resolution allows for better assets to be rendered i suppose

You can have higher polygons and textures and lower rendering resolution, they are not connected

Yet, noone knows the frame rate they got in 1080p

Say they got 25fps in 1080p and dropped to 720p

That would allow for an easy 30fps and maybe add some extra effects

I do not plan to buy any next gen system yet, they do not have the games

The graphics are irrelevant for me and only a welcome perk

But of course, if i own both systems and has more effects on xbox due to 720p, i will get that one and not the 1080p with less effects

If that is the case of course

It would go completely against type if anyone started doing it. You only need to look at last gen to know that if anything gives, it's going to be resolution, not effects.

Look at COD, sub HD last gen. The Xbox One could easily run at 1080p using the same engine and assets as the last gen versions. But, they favoured adding more effects and running at 720p on Xbox One instead.

I would not hope for this to happen. People were already hoping it would happen with BF4 and it hasn't. It almost certainly hasn't happened for COD either. either both versions will be the same resolution with the PS4 version having the same, or more effects, or the PS4 version will have the same effects and be higher resolution.

There is nothing in the technical specs of the two consoles, or in the histories of devs making multiplatform titles, to indicate this new hope of lower resolution, but better effects will come to fruition for the Xbox One.

nasos_333

They're not going to remake their assets for XB1

It is already scalable i guess

It is not unlike PC, you can get better effects-grass-lighting-models by droping in resolution and frame rate

It would go completely against type if anyone started doing it. You only need to look at last gen to know that if anything gives, it's going to be resolution, not effects.

Look at COD, sub HD last gen. The Xbox One could easily run at 1080p using the same engine and assets as the last gen versions. But, they favoured adding more effects and running at 720p on Xbox One instead.

I would not hope for this to happen. People were already hoping it would happen with BF4 and it hasn't. It almost certainly hasn't happened for COD either. either both versions will be the same resolution with the PS4 version having the same, or more effects, or the PS4 version will have the same effects and be higher resolution.

There is nothing in the technical specs of the two consoles, or in the histories of devs making multiplatform titles, to indicate this new hope of lower resolution, but better effects will come to fruition for the Xbox One.

But theoretically and since games are made scalable, it is possible and easy to implement

Not unlike tweaking a PC game

Rafterman

Banned
Lower resolution allows for better assets to be rendered i suppose

You can have higher polygons and textures and lower rendering resolution, they are not connected

You're still running with this nonsense, eh?

Let's just pretend we are all crazy and a developer drops to 720p on the XO in order to (lol) make a game look better by adding effects, improving textures, etc. What's to stop that same developer from just dropping the PS4 version and adding even more effects, textures, etc.?

Basically anything a developer could do to a game to make it look better on the Xbone could be done on the PS4...and then some. There's not a single scenario where a developer ends up with a better looking Xbone version without intentionally gimping the PS4 version.

There will be no 720p XO version but with better lighting, textures, etc. versus a 1080p PS4 version. Just stop, it's ridiculous.

nasos_333

You're still running with this nonsense, eh?

Let's just pretend we are all crazy and a developer drops to 720p on the XO in order to (lol) make a game look better by adding effects, improving textures, etc. What's to stop that same developer from just dropping the PS4 version and adding even more effects, textures, etc.?

Basically anything a developer could do to a game to make it look better on the Xbone could be done on the PS4...and then some. There's not a single scenario where a developer ends up with a better looking Xbone version without intentionally gimping the PS4 version.

There will be no 720p XO version but with better lighting, textures, etc. versus a 1080p PS4 version. Just stop, it's ridiculous.

Sure they could, but the fact is that one version is 1080p and the other 720p

Also it is very much possible to have a better looking 720p game than a 1080p one, because you do not know the gain from droping from 1080p to 720p

I am talking based on that fact of course

If a developer needs a 10% gain to run in 30fps with PS4 effects in 1080p and dropping to 720p gives a 20% gain, you have a 10% extra power to enable extra effects

Or to put it another way, if you have a PC game running in 20fps at a specific setting in 1080p and you have to lower to 720p where it runs in 40fps, wont you enable some extra effects to get better graphics at 30fps ?

I definitly would and is as easy as dragging a slider in games that are made scalable

Also i never said they would drop to 720p to get better effects, just to be clear, i said that if they have to drop to 720p and get a bigger gain than needed for 30fps from doing it, maybe they have room to enable extra effects in 30fps

I do not see anything nonsensical about that

The climax of the console wars will be Halo 5. If that is less than 1080p... Then it's time to bunker up. I fully expect Halo 5 to have dynamic resolution with a max of 1080p relegated to cut scenes or non playable scenes.

I don't have a problem with first-wave games running at native 900p if it means the framerate is consistent and there is minimal aliasing.

Though by 2015 I expect every game to hit the native 1080p/60fps mark.

I_D

Pretty much ALL of the multiplatform games will be this way.

With the PS4 being clearly more powerful than the Xbox One, the only reason multiplatform games wouldn't be better on PS4 is because of deliberate dev decisions.

Skeff

The next one will be NFS, followed by AC4 and then almost every multiplatform title, the next huge one will be Destiny, followed by WatchDogs.

Need for Speed, Frostbite, maybe same as BF4, 720p/900p.

half the frame rate could *potentially* have us looking at 900p/1080p, or even 900p/900p.

1080p/1080p seems like a stretch too far... but it should be interesting. I'm more invested in Rivals, since I'm actually buying that one.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think it's a pretty safe bet that most games on the Xbox One are gonna be 900p30 or 720p60 at this point barring a couple subgenres.

I don't have a problem with first-wave games running at native 900p if it means the framerate is consistent and there is minimal aliasing.

Though by 2015 I expect every game to hit the native 1080p/60fps mark.
Why would you expect the resolution to go up? This gen it just went lower as time went on

Why would you expect the resolution to go up? This gen it just went lower as time went on

A good number of the first wave games are cross-gen, they aren't being developed with only the PS4/Xbone in mind. We see that in games that are exclusive, like Killzone, we can get 1080p/60fps. I expect third party titles to improve once they stop being cross-gen.

Sure they could, but the fact is that one version is 1080p and the other 720p

Also it is very much possible to have a better looking 720p game than a 1080p one, because you do not know the gain from droping from 1080p to 720p

I am talking based on that fact of course

If a developer needs a 10% gain to run in 30fps with PS4 effects in 1080p and dropping to 720p gives a 20% gain, you have a 10% extra power to enable extra effects

Or to put it another way, if you have a PC game running in 20fps at a specific setting in 1080p and you have to lower to 720p where it runs in 40fps, wont you enable some extra effects to get better graphics at 30fps ?

I definitly would and is as easy as dragging a slider in games that are made scalable

Also i never said they would drop to 720p to get better effects, just to be clear, i said that if they have to drop to 720p and get a bigger gain than needed for 30fps from doing it, maybe they have room to enable extra effects in 30fps

I do not see anything nonsensical about that
they don't have to drop to 720p. or 900p. they can drop to whatever resolution handles the same effects at equivalent performance as the PS4. judging from last gen, that's exactly what they'll do.

consoles are not PCs. devs did not favour resolution over effects last gen, and they haven't started doing it this gen, not yet. if they do, the PS4 version will likely run at the same resolution with better effects, rather than what you describe. again, there is no good reason to think such a thing will happen, even though it technically could.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that most games on the Xbox One are gonna be 900p30 or 720p60 at this point barring a couple subgenres.

sports games will likely stay at 1080p and 60 fps, since they tended to be on the high end of resolution and framerate last gen, and since I doubt we'll be seeing them worry much about throwing around loads of real time lighting and particle effects etc.

they'll likely stay forward rendered, which the Xbox One can handle just fine at 1080p and 60 fps as with Forza 5 (and presumably FIFA and NBA 2K14).

I see this a lot, but I've never seen anyone do an actual analysis. yeah, it seemed like 720p + games became rarer, but a lot of games, like COD, got progressively higher res with each new release. Halo got higher res. Forza games were higher res than PGR 3. Etc. Alan Wake American Nightmare was higher res than Alan Wake. etc. It definitely wasn't all one way.

Funny how many people said that there wouldn't be huge differences for the launch games. I believe the choice word was "not significant".

VanWinkle

I mean, COD and BF4 are about the only games for which we know he resolution of both versions. So with that in mind, it wouldn't surprise me to see some other launch titles have resolution disparity between PS4 and XB1. Maybe AC4? Maybe Skylanders? NFS Ghosts? Who knows.

Skeff

A good number of the first wave games are cross-gen, they aren't being developed with only the PS4/Xbone in mind. We see that in games that are exclusive, like Killzone, we can get 1080p/60fps. I expect third party titles to improve once they stop being cross-gen.

And for XB1 exclusives made exclusively for next gen such as powerstar golf and killer instinct at 720p, the reason is?

I mean, COD and BF4 are about the only games for which we know he resolution of both versions. So with that in mind, it wouldn't surprise me to see some other launch titles have resolution disparity between PS4 and XB1. Maybe AC4? Maybe Skylanders? NFS Ghosts? Who knows.
I'm going to go out on a real limb here, and predict that Angry Birds Star Wars isn't going to have any resolution issues.

ShinAmano

At this piint why does it matter? So gaf can have another meltdown thread? The only resolution gate that is newsworthy past this is if the xb1 version toos the ps4 version.

At this piint why does it matter? So gaf can have another meltdown thread? The only resolution gate that is newsworthy past this is if the xb1 version toos the ps4 version.

Well, it'll help quiet the people putting all the blame on the developers, and it'll help determine that it is indeed a hardware problem. Plus, it's fun to speculate.

Z3M0G

Watch Dogs should be good... but that is far enough away that they can act upon the lessons learned (by everyone) this week.

The absence of any sight of Assassin's Creed IV on the Xbone is mighty suspicious.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was resolution differences between most multiplats, honestly.

Timeaisis

And Reso-gate continues.

But yeah, it is slightly suspicious. Xbone is obviously capable of 1080p, but it seems like a lot of developers aren't able to get that out of it yet. PS3 had much poorer multiplats (graphically and otherwise) for a good long while, if I remember correctly.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if ACIV was the next 720 or 900 announcement.

sits

Need for Speed, Frostbite, maybe same as BF4, 720p/900p.

This. As well as everyone wanting to know how Frostbite compares but in a different context other than FPS, and that it comes in a month (late Nov), I think this is the next one everyone scrutinises.

This might count as spin (though I obviously know the Xbox One is always gonna be a weaker system than the PS4, so there's nothing there for me to spin), but I'm still glad that 3rd party developers on Xbox One games are at least still keeping equivalent framerates in mind, and not just resolution (though obviously, both are great!)

That temptation to go 1080p for everything is gonna be strong, but I hope performance wins out.

Why do people keep saying things like this?

They don't drop resolution to add snazzy effects, they drop resolution to compensate for those snazzy effects not running at a higher resolution at an acceptable clip. It's crazy how many people think that Xbone games are dropping resolution to make a better looking game. Get real,people.

That type of thinking is why the PS4's performance superiority is unlikely to make a significant difference in sales. Neogaf is full of stories of 'even my grandma!' being aware of technological superiority or DRM issues - none of which have anything to do with reality. The reality s the vast majority of gamers are barely aware of these type of issues. They don't watch comparison videos, read comparison reviews, or care about crushed blacks or any other 'big' issue that is a huge topics for people who are game enthusiasts.

thefit

AC4 being completely MIA in terms of xbone footage is probabl next but I think the big shitstorm will be Watch Dogs I think it probably being a mess on xbone was more the reason ubi decided to just delay all of them till next year. Ubi must be having some serious issues with xbone if both AC4 hasn't been shown and Watchdogs got delayed across the board.

whitehawk

Banned
I know you aren't serious in details of your posts but:
You know Sony and MS intends for these consoles to be around for 10 years at least.
Regarding CoD2021 people will still say "Oh god it's still 720p".

And that is sad.
10 years doesn't mean another console won't come out. The 10 year lifespan just means the console will have software supporting it for at least 10 years. The Xbox 360 is 8 years old, and the PS3 is 7. There will likely be games coming out for them for another 2-3 years. But meanwhile, the PS4, XBO are out. I could see new systems coming out around 2020.

Pbae

lol

by 2015 more games than not are going to be 720p. people like pretty graphics, pretty graphics take more power.

I do not agree, at least for one console. The PS4 has only one confirmed game that isn't 1080p.

Though it is a possibility, with the additional GPGPU and other benefits the PS4 has over the One, I think over time, more graphical finesse will be achieved and 1080p the norm.

nasos_333

I do not agree, at least for one console. The PS4 has only one confirmed game that isn't 1080p.

Though it is a possibility, with the additional GPGPU and other benefits the PS4 has over the One, I think over time, more graphical finesse will be achieved and 1080p the norm.

For now, but in 2015 and later will be a whole different story

Top Bottom