• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolution: Which game is next?

Won't be next, but maybe Destiny. There will be meltdowns if it somehow ends up being worse on xbone. Something something Bungie double betrayal.

Edit: beaten

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
1080p UI = next gen.

So he's basically saying that the game itself actually runs at 720p upscaled but it has a UI overlaid that is 1080p? So MS can actually get away will saying Forza 5 does 1080p and all they have to do is be slightly ambiguous about what they are actually referring to. If this is true ... then my God there's going to be a lot of 'discussions'.

Not all games. Some will try for parity, it will happen.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag is what I'm most curious about seeing.

When you say try for parity do you mean intentionally not make the PS4 version as best it can be? I don't see how in any case the PS4 version should be the same as the Bone version.

Knoxcore

I can't wait for years from now when this stuff is just but a silly, distant memory.

Agreed. Resolution was rarely a problem for me this generation, I don't think it will be a problem next generation. What I care about is smooth graphical fidelity and art direction. I rather have agame that runs smoothly at 720 than choppy at 1080. This whole debate is part of a meaningless proxy battle in the larger meaningless console war.

Having said that, if the PS4 constantly outperforms the XBO (like it is now, CoD, BF4) then that is notable.

vpance

I think he's saying the vertical resolution is scaled up, as in 720 to 1080.

Edit: 720 x 1.5 (50%) = 1080

Jedi2016

So he's basically saying that the game itself actually runs at 720p upscaled but it has a UI overlaid that is 1080p? So MS can actually get away will saying Forza 5 does 1080p and all they have to do is be slightly ambiguous about what they are actually referring to.
Man, wouldn't that be fucked, if their 1080p "flagship" isn't actually 1080p at all. They won't be able to hide it, B3D and DF will tell us, and then GAF will fucking explode.

MS's new thing seems to be referring to the system output instead of rendering resolution, saying "Well... technically... it's 1080p..."

I am mildly curious about Assassin's Creed, but this is one of those titles that really should be running full-on 1080p on both consoles without even breaking a sweat (it's a glorified up-port from current-gen). I was thinking about that this morning, that if the game runs at 1080p and is identical to the PS4 version, it will only mean that Ubisoft was able to do what Infinity Ward wasn't... get a last-gen game to run equally well on both systems. I'll wait for confirmation before making any hubbub about it.

KoopaTheCasual

Amir0x

Banned
When you say try for parity do you mean intentionally not make the PS4 version as best it can be? I don't see how in any case the PS4 version should be the same as the Bone version.

i mean they will set a target they know both XBO and PS4 can hit equally. I don't expect it to be frequent, but it will happen

HTupolev

Didn't they do a similar thing in GT5?
You mean render it anamorphically? Yes. Though that sort of anamorphic rendering is usually done with full height and reduced width, whereas this looks like the opposite.

It's unlikely that that's actually what's happening in Forza 5, though. A 2x vertical scale is more likely a video recording/encoding issue. Especially since the alternative would be nasty PR for them.

vpance

It's unlikely that that's actually what's happening in Forza 5, though. A 2x vertical scale is more likely a video recording/encoding issue. Especially since the alternative would be nasty PR for them.

He said 50% scaled up though. 2x would be 100%.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Man, wouldn't that be fucked, if their 1080p "flagship" isn't actually 1080p at all. They won't be able to hide it, B3D and DF will tell us, and then GAF will fucking explode.

MS's new thing seems to be referring to the system output instead of rendering resolution, saying "Well... technically... it's 1080p..."

I am mildly curious about Assassin's Creed, but this is one of those titles that really should be running full-on 1080p on both consoles without even breaking a sweat (it's a glorified up-port from current-gen). I was thinking about that this morning, that if the game runs at 1080p and is identical to the PS4 version, it will only mean that Ubisoft was able to do what Infinity Ward wasn't... get a last-gen game to run equally well on both systems. I'll wait for confirmation before making any hubbub about it.

What the hell happens when games from 3rd party AREN'T upressed last gen ports? That's what I'm keen on knowing. Will the devs hold back or push forward with next gen tech? I'm more inclined to believe the former myself simply because Sony will end up with an insurmountable lead. It wasn't so bad this gen because the differences weren't that noticeable, but I'm already looking at KZS and see nothing close.

Jedi2016

What the hell happens when games from 3rd party AREN'T upressed last gen ports? That's what I'm keen on knowing. Will the devs hold back or push forward with next gen tech?
Oh, me too, believe me. And you're absolutely right... if up-ported current-gen games are struggling, then what's going to happen when devs ramp it up over the next year or so? (and they will... they're looking forward, not back). I think the gap will widen, significantly.

Racer1977

I know it's bullshit, but can anyone make out what these guys continually bang on about, something about "3 planes" and a larger power brick indicating the Xbox One will be capable of 3-5tf of performance.

It's utterly bizarre, I'm in half a mind it's a total windup, or some weird gaming cult!

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com

I'm only posting it here because this thread is about resolution speculation, rather than confirmed specs.

Steel

Banned
So he's basically saying that the game itself actually runs at 720p upscaled but it has a UI overlaid that is 1080p? So MS can actually get away will saying Forza 5 does 1080p and all they have to do is be slightly ambiguous about what they are actually referring to. If this is true ... then my God there's going to be a lot of 'discussions'.

No he's saying the width is 1920 and it's anamorphus vertically. So it's -almost- 1080p. (Doubt this is true but there will be outrage if it is)

Edit: Also consider that DR 3 has a 1080p UI and they're not spinning that as 1080p so...

x-Lundz-x

I know it's bullshit, but can anyone make out what these guys continually bang on about, something about "3 planes" and a larger power brick indicating the Xbox One will be capable of 3-5tf of performance.

It's utterly bizarre, I'm in half a mind it's a total windup, or some weird gaming cult!

I'm only posting it here because this thread is about resolution speculation, rather than confirmed specs.
That guy lives on three different planes of existence. Don't give him the clicks. His site is enough to give you a brain aneurism.

Beant

His source on that is literally, and I quote - "someone"

Its all made up and it reads like microsoft fan fiction. I don't think he has been right about anything yet.

vpance

1920x720 would be slightly less than Ryse's 900p. But Forza runs at 60 FPS, so maybe it's a wash between the two :p

Dude a Titan is only 3.2TFLOPs ACHIEVED performance ( not theoretical ). So theoretical is likely 4.5Tflop or so.

That sort of GPU would eat DR3 alive and spit it out at 4K @ 30fps ( and all other games )

We are far beyond all this " secret sauce " stuff. Everyone thought it was a 2nd GPU or something major like that, ended up being a scaler.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Forza is safe, no way they don't hit 1080/60 after all this talk.

Bodde

Banned

I cant believe that MS would be that stupid. They would have known that would be discovered as soon as the games are in store. The twits will hit the fan if that is true.

Knoxcore

Buddy save yourself the time and effort and understand that it is fact that the PS4 version has the higher res, more stable frame rate, higher AA and more detail.

Simply fact.

Cut him some slack. I think what he is saying is he knows, objectively speaking, that the PS4 version has the better specs, but when it comes down to which version "looks" better he prefers the XBO version. That is a completely valid opinion.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Reading that, it felt like my brain slowly seeped out of my ear and dropped on to the floor.

What the actual fuck. This guy must be legitimately insane.

x-Lundz-x

If you read between the lines of the talk recently the game needs the cloud to hit 1080p. I'm waiting to see when people actually get forza and try and play it offline if it affects the game in any way. I still think this is one of Cboats bombs.

However as I aid earlier in this thread I think AC4 is most likely going to be 720 on xbone and 1080 on ps4. Probably a cycle that's just going to repeat itself over and over.

Nozem

I love reading that shit, and the mental gymnastics whenever there is a good piece of PS4 news. Watching that blog when next gen DF comparisons drop will be amazing.

I don't even see how given it's running at 30fps and is not a big leap from current gen. Boy this would be a fuckup.

I really don't understand this thinking at all. How is it not a big leap from current gen? When I played ACIV on 360, it was a foggy, janky, aliased, low res mess that didn't seem to run above 27fps, with frequent drops. Not only this, but it's running at half the resolution of the PS4 version. Then, on top of all of these /massive/ leaps in IQ and performance, you get motion blur, depth of field, god rays, lens flares, HBAO, higher resolution textures, screen space reflections, increased amounts of dense foliage and dynamic foliage, 3D rain that moves with the wind and creates puddles, volumetric fog, lighted particles, etc.

How exactly is this not a huge leap from current gen?

thelastword

Banned
Agreed that the bone version may never be on par with the PS4 versions just based on the raw power of the latter console, but it is possible that devs may not do more on the PS4 when there's even further legroom there. Personally, I believe that battlefield could have been
1080p 60fps on the PS4, but due to the launch deadlines they settled slightly shy of that metric.

Top Bottom