• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolution: Which game is next?

I think if Destiny is running at 720p on the xbox one and 900p on PS4 then this is a serious problem. I dont have any technical knowledge or insider secerets. I just think thats a good game because it has a great team behind it, lots of money, and its enough into the future that Bungie could have learned the secrets of the XBO and harnessed more power out of it.

I think if Destiny is running at 720p on the xbox one and 900p on PS4 then this is a serious problem. I dont have any technical knowledge or insider secerets. I just think thats a good game because it has a great team behind it, lots of money, and its enough into the future that Bungie could have learned the secrets of the XBO and harnessed more power out of it.

Could Microsoft release updated drivers and have the games improve like we see on the PC? Rumors are that the driver support isn't that great and developers are being squeezed to get the games out. I still think Titanfall will be 720p in the end on the XBox One. The focus seems to be on making sure the game runs at a smooth 60fps. If we see Titanfall 2 they may have more experience by then with the hardware and manage to get the resolution up.

No. It's a fantastic troll. Like, amazing.

That's what I thought.

Jack_AG

Banned
But if what i see looks better, why would that be an issue and not a perk ? At least for my tastes

BTW, another pic i like better on xbox one

ibvedOKiR18uO6.jpg

In all comparisson pics so far i like xbox one version far better, especially the lighting and clarity.

No, i am not sure as i said, i took it from a link below the IGN video posted above

I will check it (but will take some time)
Completely disregarding the fact that everyone that has seen them side by side, in person, all agree that the PS4 version is cleaner, crisper, looks better, some even thought the PS4 version was 1080p, admitted issues with capture devices... But hey...GIFs and compressed internet footage is the real deal.

Preach, on, brother!

Sanke__

Reading these threads and looking at the gifs/ screenshots on a smartphone really puts it into perspective how absolutely absurd it is when people claim there is no difference between 720p and 1080p.

I would assume Witcher 3 is going to be pretty major.

Sony's insistence on 1080p will ruin the games industry. Games are too expensive already, by forcing developers to target 1080p budgets will explode, games won't make their sales target and multitudes of studios will have to close. The gaming landscape will become a wasteland if Sony had their way. Thank god there's at least one gaming console where developers can make games like in the good old days, carefully handcrafted gems for a discerning, appreciative audience.
The best. Thank you.

Completely disregarding the fact that everyone that has seen them side by side, in person, all agree that the PS4 version is cleaner, crisper, looks better, some even thought the PS4 version was 1080p, admitted issues with capture devices... But hey...GIFs and compressed internet footage is the real deal.

Preach, on, brother!
In the words of Yoshida, "let him dream."

Reading these threads and looking at the gifs/ screenshots on a smartphone really puts it into perspective how absolutely absurd it is when people claim there is no difference between 720p and 1080p.

I would assume Witcher 3 is going to be pretty major.

Of course there is a difference. That's why people are upset when we see certain PR people from MS try and downplay it. However the resolution only tells half the story. I want to know how the frame rates stack up with one another and how consistent they are in comparison. Also pop-in and screen tearing.

I found this preview article,

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/30/battlefield-4-how-xbox-one-and-ps4-stack-up-against-pc/

It does say the PS4 version stacks up better to the PC but also has issues not found on the XBox One. Of course we have to take into consideration these may be early builds.

You can see the lighting effects are there on the PS4, they have been diminished by the capture ........ this gif makes that really apparent.

Do you really believe these are photoshopped?

he's saying he believes THIS gif is photoshopped:

ps4_vs_xo_zps4ddf0d90.gif

...because unlike every other comparison, the HUD elements in the PS4 and Xbox One images are the same size in this one.

also, the PS4 version is *darker* which is weird.

I cannot wrap my head around what I'm supposed to be seeing in the Xbox One side of this gif. where the fuck is all that red supposed to be coming from? is it meant to be coming from the brake lights of the car coming *towards* us? what the hell? I'm sure the Xbox One is powerful enough NOT to have this bizarre effect. We should want it gone. Really weird choice on DICE's part here.

Skeff

Of course there is a difference. That's why people are upset when we see certain PR people from MS try and downplay it. However the resolution only tells half the story. I want to know how the frame rates stack up with one another and how consistent they are in comparison. Also pop-in and screen tearing.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/30/battlefield-4-how-xbox-one-and-ps4-stack-up-against-pc/

It does say the PS4 version stacks up better to the PC but also has issues not found on the XBox One. Of course we have to take into consideration these may be early builds.

That article is wrong in at least two details:

AO - This was not the same across both Platforms as noted by DICE, the XB1 was to be upgraded to the same solution as the PS4.

Frame rate - Bth versions had considerable Dips, but the XB1 more so, on average the PS4 framerate was about 3/4 fps better and at times stretched to a 15fp advantage.

Just to make sure it's clear, the issue they mention the PS4 version having was netcode related. Something which people will naturally want to see ironed out by launch. But you need to be clear with that when people are talking about engine / graphics differences.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Next one? AC.

Funny one? DR will be dynamic diping below 720P when too many zombies are on the screen or an explosions goes off.

Cuyejo

You guys do realise you're arguing with the infamous labwarrior, no?

There's pretty much absolutely nothing you can say to convince him whatsoever of the Xbox being worse.

Holy shit! Labwarrior is in Neogaf?!?!?

I remember him from the Gametrailers forum, oh boy, a stubborn fella he definitely is.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Perhaps it is Destiny as some of you have suggested:

It appears that the constant spree of bad news associated with the Xbox One simply won’t come to a halt. The recent news of Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 both operating at a native resolution of 720p on the console has come as a disappointment to many next-gen enthusiasts. Developers of multiplatform titles are currently experiencing difficulty in maintaining parity between the next-gen console versions of their games.

The Xbox One’s complex memory architecture is rumored to be the primary hurdle, and an improvement may be seen in the 2nd wave of titles released for the console. However, that may not be the case based on what we have heard from an Alpha tester for Bungie’s upcoming first-person shooter Destiny. The individual, who wishes to remain anonymous due to NDA restrictions, was kind enough to share a few things regarding the differences between the two next-gen console versions.

Will Destiny unfold in sub 1080p on the Xbox One?

While the individual in question did say that he isn’t really an authority on the matter, to him it was “clearly evident” that, in its existing state, the Playstation 4 version looked crisper of the two. He believes the difference would be obvious to everyone who is enrolled in the game’s forthcoming Beta program, as it’s unlikely that either version would receive major improvements over the build he last saw. It certainly wouldn’t surprise us if the Xbox One version is running at an internal resolution of 900p i.e. 1600 x 900 pixels. Given its relatively modest target frame rate of 30fps, it wouldn’t be too far-fetched to assume that the difference won’t be as drastic as the 720p/1080p situation with the Xbox One and PS4 versions of Call of Duty: Ghosts.

We look forward to giving our readers a hands-on with both versions of Destiny once the beta is underway some time early next year. Stay tuned for more on Bungie’s brand new first-person shooter.

http://gearnuke.com/will-destiny-unfold-sub-1080p-xbox-one/

xBuTcHeRx

DESTINY, WHY? BUNGIE, that's why.
TITANFALL, why? The guys who made COD, and then a money making trend, lol
Also seeing as how MS bought the game for life on the console. We might see a NEW type of COD happen.
Gears of War (if it happens), UNREAL 4!
Any game that runs at 60 fps that's really good.

It's really hard to say which one will be the "permanent stain" of the new generation.

I think it's gonna be either DESTINY or TITANFALL to be as narrow as possible.

DESTINY, WHY? BUNGIE, that's why.
TITANFALL, why? The guys who made COD, and then a money making trend, lol
Also seeing as how MS bought the game for life on the console. We might see a NEW type of COD happen.
Gears of War (if it happens), UNREAL 4!
Any game that runs at 60 fps that's really good.

It's really hard to say which one will be the "permanent stain" of the new generation.

I think it's gonna be either DESTINY or TITANFALL to be as narrow as possible.

Titanfall looks like a lot of fun but Destiny to me appears far more interesting.

Piggus

Devs essentially have four options here...

A. Same or similar effects on both, but PS4 runs at a higher resolution (this is the most likely scenario given that the PS4 GPU has a MUCH higher fillrate)

B. Same resolution on both, but PS4 version has better effects and/or more AA.

C. A combination of the two

D. Gimp the PS4 version to appease Microsoft overlords

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
D. Gimp the PS4 version to appease Microsoft overlords

Won't happen as long as a game has competition on the PS4. For instance, if EA would have gimped the PS4-version of Battlefield 4 to match the XBO's version, the game would have looked worse compared to Killzone against which it competes on the PS4. EA would not willingly take that disadvantage just to make Microsoft happy.

jayu26

Titanfall looks like a lot of fun but Destiny to me appears far more interesting.

I agree. TitanFall is probably going to be more fun to play, but it is multiplayer only. I am expecting a half decent story for Destiny, so it automatically makes it more interesting to me.

Piggus

Won't happen as long as a game has competition on the PS4. For instance, if EA would have gimped the PS4-version of Battlefield 4 to match the XBO's version, the game would have looked worse compared to Killzone against which it competes on the PS4. EA would not willingly take that disadvantage just to make Microsoft happy.

Totally agree. It's a silly notion, but it's still an option. >_<

I can't believe how many people think it's in "everyone's best interests" to retain platform parity. It's only in someone's best interest to gimp the PS4 version of a game if that person is a fanboy or a Microsoft employee.

Timurse

Banned
Right now there is #BF4SHOWDOWN happening live on Xbox Live and it's clearly that Microsoft delayed any OFFICIAL showing of Xbox One BF4 multiplayer till this exact moment - 2 weeks before release. The game on multiplayer on Xbox One looks exactly as I told you 2 month ago (from my personal experience from Igromir 2013 - Moscow, Russia) - slightly better than BF3 on Xbox 360 + 64 players + motion blur + 60 fps. By slightly I mean like 20%. Holy shit, what a downfall.
PS. Caspian Border 2014 is good.
PPS. Again, how shitty are graphics! No way you could EVER compare them seriously to PS4 footage we've seen from IGN, Gamespot, DF, Polygon, etc.

xBuTcHeRx

...because unlike every other comparison, the HUD elements in the PS4 and Xbox One images are the same size in this one.

I cannot wrap my head around what I'm supposed to be seeing in the Xbox One side of this gif. where the fuck is all that red supposed to be coming from? is it meant to be coming from the brake lights of the car coming *towards* us? what the hell? I'm sure the Xbox One is powerful enough NOT to have this bizarre effect. We should want it gone. Really weird choice on DICE's part here.

I think the downgraded res (720p) compensates the graphics just a bit. Performance wise the PS4 reigns. Obviously the XBONE is cluttering a bunch of stuff that hurts the res on the games, I understand it but I don't want a media box on top of a cable box on top of a game box. I JUST WANT A GAME BOX.

Do you think that the differences between Ps4 and XboxOne versions of games will become bigger in the future?
I remember a few months ago some people in the tech thread on GAF discussed the matter and most of them tought that the differences will start out very minor but will get bigger in the future.

If AC4 is 1080/30 SP, it will most likely run 900/30 on the XB1. If it was 60fps, then I would definitely say it would be running at 720p.

If its in fact 720/30 on the XB1, that would be absolutely devastating

That gif doesn't look right. i think they swapped the labels

geordiemp

That article is wrong in at least two details:

AO - This was not the same across both Platforms as noted by DICE, the XB1 was to be upgraded to the same solution as the PS4.

Frame rate - Bth versions had considerable Dips, but the XB1 more so, on average the PS4 framerate was about 3/4 fps better and at times stretched to a 15fp advantage.

Can I ask a daft question - what is the strange blur filter on some of the Ps4 footage - is this an overdone AO or something else ?

Whatever it is it really puts me of BF4 in favour of Killzone.

How is it possible that we haven't seen Assassin's Creed for XBO yet?

Could be due to a marketing deal between Sony and UniSoft....

Or

Could be that because AC4 is massively open world with dynamic weather and oceans, the ESRam is proving difficult to overcome and the frame rate is bad or the resolution flaky, or both....
If I was buying AC4 for the XB1 I'd might start asking questions....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
surely ACIV and NFS:Rivals are the two obvious candidates? I doubt we'll see anything concrete about destiny until after launch (possibly not until the new year), whereas we'll get head to heads of ACIV and Rivals by Nov 22nd.

x-Lundz-x

AC4 is obviously the next big game to be argued over in regards to resolution. The fact that we have not even seen the XBone version should be telling enough.

Who knows maybe both will be 1080P / 30FPS for single player but we will find out very soon for certain.

Curufinwe

How is it possible that we haven't seen Assassin's Creed for XBO yet?

According to Amazon you will be able to buy it on the 19th, so the discs must have been printed already. It's just that no one in the media has been given one yet by Ubisoft.

They might actually have to go buy the Xbone version at Best Buy.

Top Bottom