• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retiring Early On $870K In Arizona

taylor34

Neo Member
My family does Dave Ramsey’s program. We have a budget and we only spend whats in our category for that month. Its paid off all the student loans, no credit cards, and the house is paid off in a month. We are in our 30’s, but we for sure aren’t ready to retire. I don’t even think if we had 200k in the bank that we would even consider it. They aren’t considering medical costs and even Dave Ramsey says that the most expensive years of your life are at the end. Keeping yourself in good care when you can’t work or do much for yourself. You would need way more than that. Dave Ramsey has a saying, “ If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else”. These people are not smart if you ask me and I’m not the money expert in the family. I think they could have gone another 10 or so years saving money. My wife and I are about to pay off this house and now we are saving to pay the yearly taxes on it. I don’t really know much about saving, but I learned a lot by listening to Dave Ramsey. I’m still the type of person who lets someone else manage it. I just get my own fun money and that’s it. I have my retirement and my Roth IRA, but I can’t touch any of that until I’m 65 or I get hit big time by taxes.
Dave Ramsey's program is really good for people to get their finances in order. I think it's less useful when trying to become financially free or investing because he's way too conservative. Paying off your house early feels 'good' but mathematically it isn't the best return. Now paying off credit cards and other things with high interest rates, that makes sense.

Basically, if you've got 19% credit card debt vs 10% stock market return, obviously you should pay off your credit card
But the same holds true the other way, if you've got 10% stock market return and 3% home loan, you'd be better off investing.

There's also this misnomer that paying off your house takes that cost out of your life. That's not necessarily true because property taxes + insurance normally make up like a third of your mortgage payment. So if you have a $2k mortgage and pay it off, you're still probably paying $700 a month even after paying it off...and if you don't pay your taxes, they can take your house just as easy as the mortgage company.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Dave Ramsey's program is really good for people to get their finances in order. I think it's less useful when trying to become financially free or investing because he's way too conservative. Paying off your house early feels 'good' but mathematically it isn't the best return. Now paying off credit cards and other things with high interest rates, that makes sense.

Basically, if you've got 19% credit card debt vs 10% stock market return, obviously you should pay off your credit card
But the same holds true the other way, if you've got 10% stock market return and 3% home loan, you'd be better off investing.

There's also this misnomer that paying off your house takes that cost out of your life. That's not necessarily true because property taxes + insurance normally make up like a third of your mortgage payment. So if you have a $2k mortgage and pay it off, you're still probably paying $700 a month even after paying it off...and if you don't pay your taxes, they can take your house just as easy as the mortgage company.

Paying off all debt is really the true kicker to finding early retirement - and if I'm being frank, finding happiness. I remember being an intern in college and listening to people in their forties, who were earning well over six figures (as well as their spouse), complaining about money. Meanwhile they drove some kind of new luxury SUV, had a gaudy huge house, went on numerous trips each year to <insert boring-ass tourist trap here>, ate out at the finest restaurants like three times a month, etc. I was like, fuck that, I am going to pay off my student loan debt as quickly as possible, put max contributions into my retirement fund, and live in a nice but not luxury place.

I haven't had any substantial debt since about two years out of college. Since then it's just been whatever is on my credit card, which I pay off completely weekly, while I put 14% of my salary pre-taxed into retirement and save about $1,200 a month (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) in cash to savings / money market / IRA, and drive cheap shit like Honda Civics. Thanks to not having debt I now have more in my plain-ass savings account than most people I know in their thirties have in their retirement accounts. Being debt free is a complete game changer. Think of all the people who work hard, all those hours, just to pay down debt that never seems to go away.

TLDR: young people reading, save, pay off that debt, and live beneath your means. It will make you happier, take it from me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I haven’t considered that. We get extra money that we are throwing into our kid’s college savings fund. I don’t know how to look at it in a negative way because I wasn’t smart with my money for many years. It has been hard to get adjusted. We aren’t at the bottom of the spectrum. His program had us throw everything at debt and that was the six figures in college loans. The house keeps going up in value and we are sick of paying a monthly mortgage. So basically I’ve increased the amount that is dedicated to retirement. Healthcare takes a huge bite out of my paychecks each month. The way I figured it out is that we won’t have this thousand dollar mortgage to pay every month. We have enough in savings to cover us for 6 months. I do think he is super conservative too, but this was the first time I learned anything about savings. My parents were awful with money. I remember the day my mom found a foreclosure notice in a stack of papers my step father had. They never saved money. My wife is a cost accountant, so money is her favorite thing to talk about. I don’t mind listening to him because his advise is always this clear path to getting you out of debt. You might not be the richest person at the end, but you aren’t in debt. That’s the main goal. The people that call into his show have basically shoved every single cent they have at debt and then basically restricted themselves from spending anything. The house is like a cherry on top because we don’t have to pay that large amount of money each month.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I haven’t considered that. We get extra money that we are throwing into our kid’s college savings fund. I don’t know how to look at it in a negative way because I wasn’t smart with my money for many years. It has been hard to get adjusted. We aren’t at the bottom of the spectrum. His program had us throw everything at debt and that was the six figures in college loans. The house keeps going up in value and we are sick of paying a monthly mortgage. So basically I’ve increased the amount that is dedicated to retirement. Healthcare takes a huge bite out of my paychecks each month. The way I figured it out is that we won’t have this thousand dollar mortgage to pay every month. We have enough in savings to cover us for 6 months. I do think he is super conservative too, but this was the first time I learned anything about savings. My parents were awful with money. I remember the day my mom found a foreclosure notice in a stack of papers my step father had. They never saved money. My wife is a cost accountant, so money is her favorite thing to talk about. I don’t mind listening to him because his advise is always this clear path to getting you out of debt. You might not be the richest person at the end, but you aren’t in debt. That’s the main goal. The people that call into his show have basically shoved every single cent they have at debt and then basically restricted themselves from spending anything. The house is like a cherry on top because we don’t have to pay that large amount of money each month.

My family was simply too poor to save. I know the struggle. Sitting around in college with a bunch of friends all talking about the funds their parents set up for them, how much cash their parents gave them that month, etc. Meanwhile I was working two jobs to pay for college and sleeping four hours a night. Growing up poor obviously sucks, but I think it gave me strength for the future in a way. At least a kind of wisdom when it came to money.

taylor34

Neo Member
One thing that's pretty common among early retiree's is that they had some sort of major pain point during their career. Either they got passed over for promotions, let go via layoffs, don't like their job but the pay makes it impossible to leave because of the huge pay cut to do anything else, etc. All of them are motivated individuals because you have to be in order to take that pain and do something about it.

If you think early retirement is stupid or 'not for me' there's a pretty good chance you're never had a major pain point. It's the pain that's the motivator most of the time.

Havoc2049

People really move to Arizona to deal with ~40° celsius temperatures all summer long?
Pearce Arizona is in Southeast Arizona. It's high desert and they get monsoon rains during the summer, so it isn't as hot as say Phoenix, AZ.

I've been to Pearce... Lol. There ain't shyt there. It is mainly an old west and early 20th century ghost town. There is a hippie organic soap shop in town, an abandoned old west jail and courthouse and a few occupied and abandoned houses. It's surrounded by a few cattle ranches and people who want to live off the grid. Not a place I would want to retire. 🤣

Like several other people have said, they should have worked into their 40's and built up a better nest egg and retired in a better spot in Arizona, with a nicer place to call home.
9b96186514b86b4478ed5e33a6cb67d9.jpg

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Trust me, none of my friends that died before 48, wanted to work until they died.

They wanted other things out of life, travel, hobbies, going fishing with their kids, etc, but they never got that. The majority wanted to travel and see the world, but that never happened. They died on the job.

If you are a person that live for your job, you are probarly happy though, not putting that down, but tons of people put off their dreams "until the day they can afford it", and that day never comes.
How is working preventing any of that? I know US has minimal vacation time but I negociated 9 weeks a year.

Mihos

Gold Member

The 2 biggest lifestyle upgrades we had in life was when the kids became independent and when we paid off the house. Having $0 debt changes everything. We are both looking at retiring in a few years at 55 because of it.
Living in a 45000 square foot house for less than $7k a year is better than any 2 bedroom apartment rate you will find in our area. Not to mention we bought at $300k and it is up over 400k now if we decide to sell. Even if we sell and move, we will most likely never have a mortgage again, so only property tax and whatever we decide we want on insurance. Your insurance rates can go way down, although we don't take chances on that.

Nester99

It’s crazy to think that 3 more years of savings ($360k) and interest on the $870k ($150k) would have increased their income by 50% for the rest of their lives.

My mind can not come to terms with not making that sacrifice for 3 more years for such a huge long lasting reward.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I don’t think this is a good idea? People, particularly men, need THINGS TO DO to stay sane. Job, family, learning new skills. Retirees tend to decline quickly across multiple health measurements including mental health. And doing it at 30 is a tad.... early? What’s next? Sit around, drink beer and stare at the cactus around you for 50 years until you stop breathing?

Aesius

I don’t think this is a good idea? People, particularly men, need THINGS TO DO to stay sane. Job, family, learning new skills. Retirees tend to decline quickly across multiple health measurements including mental health. And doing it at 30 is a tad.... early? What’s next? Sit around, drink beer and stare at the cactus around you for 50 years until you stop breathing?
I think you just need to always be building towards something. A career can scratch that itch but it isn’t the only way, nor is it the most satisfying and effective. And if you retire early enough, you have the energy and drive to actually master things you otherwise wouldn’t be able to due to work related time commitments.

I like drawing but never spent enough time on it to get good. I draw for a half hour one or two nights a week. If I retired I would do it a lot more. I'd travel. I'd make a youtube channel where I review public parks within an hour or so drive of where I live.

Only boring crusty sad sacks whose whole identity was tied up in them going to work and being a stick in the mud can't think of anything to do when they retire.

There are a lot more things I would do if I wasn't working 8 hours a day. I invest a significant portion of my income because I hope to quit working someday and do these things full time instead of working.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

I think good for them. Get out of the rat-race while they can do stuff. Hope they don't have to go back into the rat race when an emergency crops up.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s crazy to think that 3 more years of savings ($360k) and interest on the $870k ($150k) would have increased their income by 50% for the rest of their lives.

My mind can not come to terms with not making that sacrifice for 3 more years for such a huge long lasting reward.
There's something fishy about the story because to go from high paid jobs in their 30s to cutting the cord and live like trailer parkers in the middle of nowhere seems weird and out of nowhere.

As you said, just a few more years would boost income a lot. They are in their 30s, not 60s. It's not like they are old and look like they got health issues and need to call it quits now.

McHuj

If I retired early I could actually have time to play all those steam games I bought on sale and never actually even booted up.

Cleared_Hot

Thoughts?

This seems absolutely godawful. They're extremely budget-constrained at 4%/year and seem to sit around doing nothing year-round. You're in your 30s! You both had six-figure jobs! The guy gave up his Corvette and R1 to live on a barren plot of land with an unfortunate-looking woman whose aspiration is to knit all day with no kids.

Can't tell if she is smiling or crying.

Also, they're in their 30s?! Jesus H I'm 33 I hope I don't look this old wtf. And who says "I just can't.... Face any problems. I need a change".... Have fun with zero problems.because Either way guys, there's no way you're looking at retiring so you can basically do nothing. That's how you die in ten years.

Also, I love how they get him writing things down on the computer... Dudes literally on Facebook 🤣

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Can't tell if she is smiling or crying.

Also, they're in their 30s?! Jesus H I'm 33 I hope I don't look this old wtf. And who says "I just can't.... Face any problems. I need a change".... Have fun with zero problems.because Either way guys, there's no way you're looking at retiring so you can basically do nothing. That's how you die in ten years.

Also, I love how they get him writing things down on the computer... Dudes literally on Facebook 🤣

Yea those two didn't age well. I know people in their 50's who look younger

Live below your means. In 2008 our mortgage was roughly double, maybe 1.5x of our combined income. As of now, I make probably 2.5x in salary of the remainder of the mortgage. My wife 2x.

We're both maxing 401k, HSA, and IRAs every year. Whatever is left for savings is invested.

We both hold onto our cars for 10-12 years. Currently neither of us a car payment, and the cars are still in decent shape. Hers is 10 years old next week, mine is 7 years old in December. We'll probably get a new vehicle when the cost of upkeep/repairs outpace the value of the car.

We have ZERO financial stress.

We'll probably revisit the house issue when our kids are both teens and maybe need more space, but I'd like to try to ride it out. I'd rather make memories than buy a huge house or own a bunch of crap I don't need. We don't live miserably though, at all.

Rickyiez

First thing first you get a good sleep. You take naps whenever you fell like instead of drinking 4-5 coffees every day. You make your own food instead of eating ready-made junk. You play with your kids/pet your animals instead of treating them like ghosts or unwanted necessity. And so on. Really, once you slow down and are not in a rush to anything, the time flies completely different, like on summer holidays for example, you don't have to forcefully fill it, it just flows and you enjoy every second of it. And if you don't have any hobbies, passions etc. then I don;t know, maybe get a second job you to fill your time even more.
This sounds like a life to me.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Live below your means. In 2008 our mortgage was roughly double, maybe 1.5x of our combined income. As of now, I make probably 2.5x in salary of the remainder of the mortgage. My wife 2x.

We're both maxing 401k, HSA, and IRAs every year. Whatever is left for savings is invested.

We both hold onto our cars for 10-12 years. Currently neither of us a car payment, and the cars are still in decent shape. Hers is 10 years old next week, mine is 7 years old in December. We'll probably get a new vehicle when the cost of upkeep/repairs outpace the value of the car.

We have ZERO financial stress.

We'll probably revisit the house issue when our kids are both teens and maybe need more space, but I'd like to try to ride it out. I'd rather make memories than buy a huge house or own a bunch of crap I don't need. We don't live miserably though, at all.
I'm single and never had ultra stress. And I even had 3 student loans at one time.

The biggest stress I had was the first bnch of years living on my own and breaking even every month. I didnt want to go into credit card debt so I asked my brother for $1000 as my bank account down to its last (I think) $1500 and wanted a bit more buffer. I didn't need it after all and gave it back a year later.

Where my money rocketed is when I got promotions and higher paying jobs. My spending habits didnt budge, so suddenly Im banking $15000 pure cash. Then make more money and bank more.

Then take that money and use it as down payments to buy investment properties making bank after selling.

The trend continues.

Off course, if I I took all those salary bumps and blew my money making me go back to square one living pay stub to pay stub, I'd be broke.

Some people dont know how to save money even when they make decent money. I can understand people at bad paying jobs unable to save, but I know people in their 40s making $100k+ and they are still half broke because they love eating out and taking two trips per year. I still dont get how they can blow all that money. It's not like their live in mansion and have a Ferrari in the driveway. It's funneled away on random shit.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
I need an update on when they get bored and tired of each other. Why not invest in…something worthwhile…you don’t have to work for the man at ALL…even an hour a day (or did I miss that?)

Last edited:
I'm single and never had ultra stress. And I even had 3 student loans at one time.

The biggest stress I had was the first bnch of years living on my own and breaking even every month. I didnt want to go into credit card debt so I asked my brother for $1000 as my bank account down to its last (I think) $1500 and wanted a bit more buffer. I didn't need it after all and gave it back a year later.

Where my money rocketed is when I got promotions and higher paying jobs. My spending habits didnt budge, so suddenly Im banking $15000 pure cash. Then make more money and bank more.

Then take that money and use it as down payments to buy investment properties making bank after selling.

The trend continues.

Off course, if I I took all those salary bumps and blew my money making me go back to square one living pay stub to pay stub, I'd be broke.

Some people dont know how to save money even when they make decent money. I can understand people at bad paying jobs unable to save, but I know people in their 40s making $100k+ and they are still half broke because they love eating out and taking two trips per year. I still dont get how they can blow all that money. It's not like their live in mansion and have a Ferrari in the driveway. It's funneled away on random shit.

Yeah my spending habits haven't really increased with my pay. I still have a Weber grill from 2003 and my lawn mower is probably 11 years old. I just take care of my stuff.

AJUMP23

I was finally able to watch the video. One thing that stood out to me was no children. That is one of the major keys to controlling your budget. Children carry a lot of expense planned and unplanned. They seem to be doing well budgeting, but I Think they will end up going back to work.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah my spending habits haven't really increased with my pay. I still have a Weber grill from 2003 and my lawn mower is probably 11 years old. I just take care of my stuff.
I havent bought new furniture in 10 years (except for a new tv and media stand in 2017 in prep for 4k gaming). Same couches, dining table set, ottoman, bed and shelves.

If I wanted to, I could had ritzed it up buying new shit, but its still in good shape and like it. I'll but new gear when it's done.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was finally able to watch the video. One thing that stood out to me was no children. That is one of the major keys to controlling your budget. Children carry a lot of expense planned and unplanned. They seem to be doing well budgeting, but I Think they will end up going back to work.
Thats the thing about these videos. Not the first time I've seen one where someone said they retiring early.

And every one was one person or a couple with no kids or family responsibilities. Not even taking care of old ass mom and dad.

Easy to save money with no dependents and a decent job. Not easy if it's like the stories my coworkers share with me where even something like hockey rec league fees and new gear can be $3000+ per year. And thats just for one kid doing sports, never mind food, clothes and other stuff kids need. And things like college or university costs arent even considered yet since thats down the road.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Easy to save money with no dependents and a decent job. Not easy if it's like the stories my coworkers share with me where even something like hockey rec league fees and new gear can be $3000+ per year. And thats just for one kid doing sports, never mind food, clothes and other stuff kids need. And things like college or university costs arent even considered yet since thats down the road.
I have kids and I had a parent with Alzheimer's and I was still able to save and plan. If you blame not being able to save on kids sports then you are the one to blame not the kid. You make a choice to spend that money and travel. And it can be a great investment in the kid and spending time together. But you can't choose to go do all this stuff and spend that money on your children then go complain about it. My kids do sports but we choose not to do travel sports. We take vacations but we save in advance for them. We save for their college. we save for ourselves. We plan for the future. One thing we learn is that saving money is about behavior.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have kids and I had a parent with Alzheimer's and I was still able to save and plan. If you blame not being able to save on kids sports then you are the one to blame not the kid. You make a choice to spend that money and travel. And it can be a great investment in the kid and spending time together. But you can't choose to go do all this stuff and spend that money on your children then go complain about it. My kids do sports but we choose not to do travel sports. We take vacations but we save in advance for them. We save for their college. we save for ourselves. We plan for the future. One thing we learn is that saving money is about behavior.
Many people I know are maxed out because they try to do everything. Kids, tons of sports and travel. Duo income, but broke. Not the way I want to live.

bigsnack

I could retire, but growing up poor did a number on me. I'll never feel like there's enough saved to avoid the unforeseen disaster that could be around the corner. That being said, staying out of debt and living below your means does wonders for the soul. I found genuine enjoyment in my day job after all the bills were finally paid, and now I don't think I'd leave unless I was laid off. Get to a point where you have the freedom to choose as fast as possible, and then you will make more fulfilling choices that will likely yield healthy income anyway.

Whats the urge to not work i don't get it. What are you doing then? sit still reading books? how long will you do that before you get utterly bored.

Why not just change professions if u don't like it, or try to start something for your own and see if you can make it actually big and retire with millions to sit on all luxery and comfort.

I honestly need a goal i can't live without it, hell my dad is with pension got enough money to do whatever and he still works at 74 rofl 8-10 hours a day because he just cant sit still.

I have always hated working, a challenge for me was just finding something I would want to do for work.

There are so many things that I want to do outside of work, that I would be perfectly happy retiring early. I live in a crazy expensive area *cries in mortgage* and it basically isn't possible for me unless I get an early inheritance.

What I would do if I had the ability to retire:
Mountain condo/townhome/whatever - probably around Snowmass.
Work on: Skiing, mountain biking, hiking, gardening
Volunteering: Park Ranger/trail building/ admissions council for a medical school, which I already do
Laziness: Videogames, kayaking

I had the realization this year that the only thing I'm really progressing in right now are non-professional things. I am at the peak of what I can do in my career, outside of making more money. I don't have a gf, nor kids. I don't even know how people have time for those things. Today I worked, came home, hiked for a few hours, showered, and now it's about time for bed. /shrug

Last edited:
Jobs/vocations can be soul crushing but ennui/ boredom is equally so. This seems short sighted to me since I'd want to work part pension age. I'd like to obviously travel, chill but the moment I stop work is the moment by brain stops working

Tschumi

Paw Paw Reaction GIF

They takin' notes! Coming soon to an inbox near you!

---

On topic: I'm in architecture, i expect to work until i die, but it'll be fun because I'll be making my own buildings

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
My family was simply too poor to save. I know the struggle. Sitting around in college with a bunch of friends all talking about the funds their parents set up for them, how much cash their parents gave them that month, etc. Meanwhile I was working two jobs to pay for college and sleeping four hours a night. Growing up poor obviously sucks, but I think it gave me strength for the future in a way. At least a kind of wisdom when it came to money.
I know the pain, I was working 3 jobs and was malnourished because I couldn't afford lots of food. At least it's an experience that makes you stronger and richer over time.

I havent bought new furniture in 10 years (except for a new tv and media stand in 2017 in prep for 4k gaming). Same couches, dining table set, ottoman, bed and shelves.

If I wanted to, I could had ritzed it up buying new shit, but its still in good shape and like it. I'll but new gear when it's done.

Well I somewhat lied. Just got a 65” Sony A8H OLED on prime day for $1600. Will replace my Samsung 55” LED from 2013. Still a great TV tho. Kids will get that one in their room.

edit: yeah no 2.1 therefore no ALLM and VRR but I’m just a casual console gamer at this point. If I find I’ll miss it I’ll just buy another TV, lol

Last edited:

Thoughts?

This seems absolutely godawful. They're extremely budget-constrained at 4%/year and seem to sit around doing nothing year-round. You're in your 30s! You both had six-figure jobs! The guy gave up his Corvette and R1 to live on a barren plot of land with an unfortunate-looking woman whose aspiration is to knit all day with no kids.

Look if you want to live to your minimal....thats fine, this is what choice is about and why we live in a country where you can choose the path you would like. This is fine as long as you dont turn around and whine and cry its not fair someone has a house with a marble pool in the living room and you dont.

Honestly watching through the whole video....it seems like an awful way to live...on a whim. Again, everyone is free to choose but it seems like he was living a life he enjoyed until he got ball snatched into another lifestyle.

You can aim to have an amazing house and an amazing wealth but you have to aim on to a path that secures those fortunes and thats not always going to be the same path that you would enjoy a long the way. Often those paths dont overlap so you have to choose which goals to aim for...megamansion or a life more in tune with who and what you are. I would love a giant mansion with an underground arcade, pool in the living room and giant garden.....but i wanted to do things in life that i knew wouldnt lead to that wealth and evaluate which was the more important path and thats ok because that was the decision i made.

Of course sometimes you can find ways to roll both those lifestyles into one.

Top Bottom