• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios ramps up recruitment; what do you want them to make and why?

ChaosXVI

I doubt they'd call it Prime since Metroid Prime/Dark Samus was completely destroyed....but Metroid FPA is probably the gist of what people mean when they say Prime 4.

hunnies28

Lots of people are going to be crushed if it turns out to be something other than Metroid.

Donkey Kong Metroid prime crossover

Banned
Metroid Prime
Third person Metroid (think Zelda camera but with space jump boost and vanquish style dashing and boost)
New IP

Akai__

Doesn't have to be Metroid Prime 4, but a 3D FPS Metorid game in general, with sweet HD graphics.

Why?

Because I would buy a Wii U for a new Metroid game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A new first person Metroid would be awesome, but honestly I'd be happy with anything that's not a 2D platformer or competitive online shooter.

Also, not on a portable.

I'd love them to work on a different 2D platforming series tbh, even a new IP.

As fantastic as DKCR and TF are, I hate the Kong's as characters which stops them being up there as my favourite platformers ever.

P44

I'm wondering, with Nintendo effectively being locked out by third parties, you know, they really have to broaden what they produce surely. Hit some traditional genre's as well as do their Nintendo thing. You can't go a whole gen being a console that someone could own in addition to something else..

emb

I think what I'm most hoping for is a new 2D Metroid. Primes are great, but not quite Super. Would love to see Retro's take on that.

Good thing for all the Metroid fans that Nintendo has gone on record to say that they are working on a new Metroid. The real question to that would be is Retro the one making it?

CronoShot

A videogame.

image.php

ChaosXVI

It seems like it has to be Metroid...Miyamoto is interested in another Prime-like Metroid game, and the only ones who can do Prime are the ones who made Prime, even if only like 1/4 of the original developers are still at Retro, their continued success with DKC is a testament to Retro's management and ability to seek out strong talent.

Even though some might want to believe the PR that says otherwise, the only reason they've rehashed DK Returns was obviously because of the huge sales success it was on Wii and 3DS, so the bomba it is on WiiU will put the IP into pause again. I also wouldn't be surprised if their next game is already on Nintendo's next platform, no need to waste any more resources on a failed platform after next year.

SykoTech

A new IP, 3D platformer that isn't a mind-numbing collect-a-thon.

Why? Because the 3D platformer genre is sorely lacking. Even Nintendo doesn't bother trying outside of the usual Mario games. Collect-a-thons are usually grating though, outside a few like Spyro. Rather it be something focused more of great level design where collecting is mostly optional. If not a new IP, then a game starring Yoshi. Because the poor guy hasn't had a truly good game since the original Yoshi's Island, and I sincerely doubt Wolly WOrld will change that.

Also, Metroid. Prime, TPS, 2D, whatever. I'd take it.

I'm guessing it will be Donkey Kong, we'll all bitch about it when it gets announced, then we'll all love it when it releases.

I'm always hoping for new IP's out of Nintendo. Splatoon looks like the freshest idea out of Ninty in years. I think Retro could also come up with something new and fresh, so I'm hoping they make a new IP, preferably an action/adventure type of game, or even a first person shooter.

P44

Even though some might want to believe the PR that says otherwise, the only reason they've rehashed DK Returns was obviously because of the huge sales success it was on Wii and 3DS, so the bomba it is on WiiU will put the IP into pause again. I also wouldn't be surprised if their next game is already on Nintendo's next platform, no need to waste any more resources on a failed platform after next year.

I could maybe see this, if we're talking like a 2017 launch, 2 to 3 years to make a nice launch title..maybe?

vids

Unconfirmed Member
Opening Samus fighting with Ridley on broken space station over space rift. She grips on trying not to fall into rift. Her helmet falls into rift.

We see Diddy and Donkey Kong eating bananas on the beach when the sky opens up and Samus's helmet falls through.

In an ode to 2001 Diddy and Donkey go wild throwing their banana up in the air. The space station comes crashing down on the island.

At this point Donkey, Diddy, Cranky and Dixie surround Samus' helmet.

KongRoid

Choose your character to put on Samus' helmet and pick up banana gun in FPS mode.

You'll be getting various pieces of Samus' suit scattered around the island along with fighting new alien baddies.

I get the feeling that people at Nintendo, for whatever reason, do not like Retro's Metroid Prime games.. Which is insane.. But oh well. I just have a weird feeling they won't make another Metroid game again.. Or at least not for a long time.

So if they can't do that, what I'd want is a new Star Tropics. I think retro could do an amazing job. They proved they could move from a more atmospheric exploration based series to making a top notch action platformer. I think star tropics could be a perfect mixture of both worlds. Fast action gameplay, dungeon exploration, some rpg elements, with the top notch atmosphere they are so good at creating ranging from tropical environments, to dark caves, and whatever else they want to put in.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Can we not just lock Team Ninja and Sakamoto in a room until this next game is out, and metroid actually exists as an ip again? Just to be safe?

We can. Just that room is the development room for the next Metroid.

Honestly I'd want a Metroid Musou, or Metroid Survival Horror but that's me.

F-Zero because no one else at Nintendo seem to be capable.

I would like this.

atbigelow

Retro has such a great knack for creating deep visual worlds. Tropical Freeze has so much detail in its design it's insane that it's just a 2D platformer. I want them to make something where I can explore that world more.

Davey Cakes

Unless they're making something completely new, then yes, I'd like to see Prime 4 please.
Agreed.

If it's not something new, then it should probably be Metroid.

Unless Nintendo has some great idea for another "franchise revival" that Retro would be suited for.

What would be crazy is if Retro did another Metroid game, but it was 2.5D and more akin to what they did with DKCR. Everyone would expect Prime 4, as in an first-person adventure game, but then Nintendo announces that they're having Retro revive the sidescrolling style instead, perhaps with some 3D elements.

That'd be an interesting twist.

Whatever the fuck they want.
Maybe they don't know what they want. ;)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
We can. Just that room is the development room for the next Metroid.

Honestly I'd want a Metroid Musou, or Metroid Survival Horror but that's me.

I would like this.

Yesssss. There is so much unrealized potential. And I don't even like survival horror that much, but adding that element to Metroid could work extremely well.

Not sure about F-Zero. I want a new one so bad but I'm not sure if Retro is the right studio for it.

Mael

I wouldn't be a fan of a Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster....but yeah even that I would love to get...
I can't wait to know what it is!

Retro has such a great knack for creating deep visual worlds. Tropical Freeze has so much detail in its design it's insane that it's just a 2D platformer. I want them to make something where I can explore that world more.

Exactly! More than anything, I loved the exploration in Metroid Prime. I want another game like that. Be it Prime 4 or whatever (new) IP they can work that magic on.

Nere

Whatever they make I know it will be super good with crazy good level design and art style but I would really want them to go back to metroid. Metroid Prime is one of the best games of all time.

Vinc

Another DKC with David Wise coming back once again, more animal buddies, better bonus rooms, more DKC2 inspiration, a DKC3-style open map!

Or Diddy Kong Racing 2

Or DK64-2

I'd be alright with another metroid prime, but I want Nintendo to keep DK alive, DKC is my favorite gaming franchise.

Taker666

Donkey Kong FPS, because reactions.

I'd have no problem with this.

A Donkey Kong FPS/FPA with banana guns and sticky beehive grenades would appeal far more than another 2D platformer. As I've said before... Kong of Duty: Gorilla Warfare. It's the parody game waiting to be made.

They can do whatever they want, I know it's going to be awesome thanks to their hard work. Retro Studios made the fucking best Donkey Kong game.

Top Bottom