• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios ramps up recruitment; what do you want them to make and why?

Silky

Banned
Because that's a boring cop-out answer, unless you have a more specific idea for a new IP.

I don't see how something new is considered a cop-out. But okay.

Oh like the Wonderful 101?

What does TW101 have to do with Retro Studios? Just because /you/ didn't buy that game doesn't really add anything to the conversation.

why are people so obsessed with new IPs? If it's a great game it's a great game, who cares if it's "new" or not

Because most people don't want to see a developer with talent restricted within the confines of an established franchise. You can only go so far with said franchises before the fanbase/Nintendo cries fowl about said game not being 'in the spirit' of the series. Look at Yaiba and DmC.

Retro Studios makes new entries into Nintendo's retro games... It's like literally painted on the studios face. Also, Nintendo believes in using existing properties to make their definition of IPs though like with all the different Mario series

What I REALLY want though is for them to continue the Mach Rider series. They could do whatever they want with that since it's such a blank state. Also, I really wanna hear that theme song again and again.

Retro can do so much more instead of making yet another metroid or yet another donkey kong.

that being said if they were to do a new ip of some sort, then yes I would rather them do something old like Mach Rider.

I'm so tired of 2d platformers right now. Retro if you're dead set on DK, please do a 3d platformer. Otherwise, i need a new HD Metroid Prime in my life, that would be just wonderful. And if not that, show your stuff with a new IP.

A new platfomer, it would add some colour and diversity to Nintendo's line up. Failing that maybe a local multiplayer party game, but please NO ONLINE!

braves01

Banned
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3: Banana Eater

Play as Cranky Kong back during the Cold War; main enemies are Russian grizzly bears.

Another Metroid game would be cool too, or even new IP

I want them to make a new IP because

A. Nintendo hasn't made a new, notable western IP since Eternal Darkness (spin-offs like Mario Strikers don't count)

B. A new IP made by and for western gamers could fill a niche that Nintendo doesn't really have right now

and C. Smash Bros. needs more characters, especially more western-made characters.

I expect them to return to Metroid Prime or Donkey Kong or tackle another Nintendo IP, though.

With Retro's great design and atmosphere they've shown in their works, a survival horror could truly be phenomenal coming from their hands. But I wonder if Nintendo would 'allow' one of their biggest studios to create a game in that genre in these times when they need 'system sellers' more than anything... Whatever they're working on, it's something to look forward to anyway.

Davey Cakes

Because most people don't want to see a developer with talent restricted within the confines of an established franchise. You can only go so far with said franchises before the fanbase/Nintendo cries fowl about said game not being 'in the spirit' of the series. Look at Yaiba and DmC.
I don't really see it this way. Just one of the many reasons why people want another Metroid from Retro is because they want the series to be revitalized again.

As much as anyone wants "Prime 4" I'm sure they'd be willing to take another game in the spirit of the Prime games but with completely new narrative and gameplay elements.

If Retro's next game is slated for Fall 2015 at the earliest, that'd be five years since the last Metroid game and 8 years since the last Metroid game that people actually cared about.

ozfunghi

I would like them to make something i would like to play!

So no Fucking Donkey Kong allowed!

Something like that indie spacestation horror game, Routine. Metroid Prime was creepy at times, so they could definitely pull something like that off. They could make that look astounding even on Wii U due to small environments.

Ideally someone else makes Metroid Wii U and they work on a new IP.

Remember that after Metroid Prime 3 design director Mark Pacini, art director Todd Keller, and principal technology engineer Jack Mathews all left to form Armature Studio. The guys who made Metroid Prime aren't there anymore.

Of course this could also be a good thing as I don't want more of the same Metroid Prime. I want something different which they may give.

Basically I just really want Metroid Wii U.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see how something new is considered a cop-out. But okay.

Wanting something new isn't a cop-out answer, but just saying "new IP" is because it doesn't add anything to the discussion. What kind of new IP would you want to see?

Lunar15

What would be cool: A new Metroid
What I really want: A new IP
What's going to happen: A third DK game, which will be fucking great. I'll have no problems with this.

Wanting something new isn't a cop-out answer, but just saying "new IP" is because it doesn't add anything to the discussion. What kind of new IP would you want to see?

Uh, saying "new IP" isn't a cop out. It's simply asking for them to work on something that isn't already an existing franchise. We can't possibly know what that is. Really, I'll take any genre. I trust them a lot at this point.

Silky

Banned

well that's why I didn't elaborate. I'd take anything from Retroo. even a dating sim

Bundy

Banned
Raven Blade

Enough with the platformer stuff.
You have your japanese studios for stuff like this.
Let your last remaining western studio make a "western" game, please.

Jezan

An IP long forgotten that they can reboot it anyway they want.

Ice Climbers
Mach Rider
StarTropics

or totally new game. Whatever they want to do.

hughesta

Banned
A new platfomer, it would add some colour and diversity to Nintendo's line up. Failing that maybe a local multiplayer party game, but please NO ONLINE!
This is a really good and well thought out post by my man TwEE-N-Toast.

I just want one HD Metroid Prime game. When that gets made, I'll be happy with Retro doing whatever. But until that happens, I'll keep asking for it.

How about a 3D Kirby action game, in the vein of Platinum Games action games? You could use his copy abilities as part of the combat. That would be pretty awesome.

Really though, they can make whatever they want as far as I'm concerned. They have yet to make a bad game.

A final DKC. Finish the trilogy. Add Funky as playable. Let you mix and match any team in single player and play as any character. Add turn-based co-op instead of synchronous. Bring back K.Rool and the Kremlings for an epic final showdown.

Litri

I don't see how this --> "Next-gen shader technical expertise preferred" would be their preferred job experience if they want to do another DK, I just don't see it.

However, saying it's a Metroid game would also be premature.

Sheroking

I don't see how this --> "Next-gen shader technical expertise preferred" would be their preferred job experience if they want to do another DK, I just don't see it.

Yeah but we all said "hiring artists from Crytek and Naughty Dog? No way they're making a DKCR2".

They were making a DKCR2.

Balb

I could see them working on the new Star Fox game. I can't think of any other Nintendo IP that'd fit them except maybe another Metroid game.

Acosta

A completely new IP, something big, epic that pushes their obviously huge artistic talent and something that couldn't be related to Nintendo at first glance (it doesn't have to be "dark" or "mature" but it needs to be something like Xenoblade, something new that isn't related to any Nintendo brand).

I wouldn't exactly cry if they made a new Metroid though (especially if they manage to make something really different from Prime).

Another 2D platformer, considering their last one was one of the best games ever made.

zzzzzzzzzz.....

Davey Cakes

Why not a StarTropics revival?

Before calling me crazy, just look at this comic:

2014-08-12-585-mikejonesveryowncomic.png

Think about it. Ness is still relevant in the sense that EB was released on VC recently and Smash Bros. is still around. Therefore, you'd think that a protagonist with a yo-yo and a bat who fights aliens in a modern day setting would be redundant. That said, the Mother series is finished and will never see another game again.

Maybe it's time for Mike Jones to return and fill that sort of character role (similar to Ness and Lucas) in a brand new game by Retro Studios.

Top Bottom