• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROPALOOZA confirms NX to be a hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggx2ac

My thoughts..

He used Assassin's Creed as an example... First of all, think about a Ubisoft game that WOULDN'T work on-the-go as it would at home on a TV. We already know 1 confirmed game that Ubisoft is developing for the NX where this would be the case.

Just Dance.

You wouldn’t be able to play JD on-the-go the same way you would at home. Ubisoft would have to change the game up for this very reason.

A game like Assassin's Creed, they wouldn't have to do this unless the dock DOES add more power which is likely not the case for launch.

At least some people are thinking the same thing I have.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=219131321

It feels like it's to play with different control schemes, not to have different power envelopes. Otherwise we are back to square one with the dock but there's been no rumours that the dock has a GPU so again. Most likely the NX still has one power state or the possible upscale or uprender when docked.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Making two versions of the same game for the same system completely misses the point of the NX being a console you can plug on the TV and take on the go.

It has to be bad wording on Boogie's part.
What if (1) the system actually has two modes of operation, with two different power envelopes, and (2) using the system in high-power on the go is not an option?

Lucifon

Wait I really hope this isn't transitioning from a full game in a dock to a mobile game when made handheld. That makes the whole console completely unappealing and pointless, we have all have smartphones + consoles that could already do that.

TheMoon

Go on... what does this even mean? Because he's fat, right? :-/

lol who's fat?

it's a bunch of ridiculous things dancing like idiots.

I don't understand why Nintendo is letting all these leaks drive the conversion instead of taking control themselves with a reveal.

because none of it will matter once it's officially revealed.

The guy's name is boogie...

lol. Trying to get someone in trouble because you wanted to see something that wasn't there.

damn, this is even more fitting than I realized now! :D

Wow, a Nintendo rumor where they say you can play X AAA game, it's easy to code for, and it's innovative.

last nintendo console I heard coding nightmares for was n64. not sure why it's a surprise.

Does this mean The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will not be able to be played in "handheld" mode?

We really don't know what this means, and we also don't know how credible this Boogie guy is so I wouldn't really take any of this as fact until we hear more details.

It wouldn't make sense for Nintendo to go on and on about merging handheld and console divisions and increasing their output and all of that if they still wind up with having two groups of games- handheld games and console games. So if you want to believe this guy is trustworthy, I'd say you should take his discussion of different "forms" of the game in one of two ways:

1) The handheld "form" is the same game with lower specs, resolution, effects, etc.

2) The handheld "form" is the same as the console "form," but there is an additional touch-screen only "form" when you just take the screen portion of the NX with you, without the attachable control portions. Like a mobile companion app.

I don't think #2 makes all that much sense but who knows?

Anth0ny

New prediction for the investor meeting this month.

"We are happy to announce that the NX... is a hybrid console. It can be both a handheld and traditional home console. While you digest this huge news, we will tell you more at a later date."

Hermii

What if (1) the system actually has two modes of operation, with two different power envelopes, and (2) using the system in high-power on the go is not an option?

This is whats been speculated ever since we found out its a hybrid, but there has been no leaked evidence to back it up. Would make sense though, at the very least an upclock while docked.

ggx2ac

I'd really wonder then how powerful this thing will be.

It's supposed to be a custom Tegra that may not even have to be based off of Parker in which Parker is 1.5 TFLOPS at FP16.

Any possibility the NX could be even more powerful?

Or... That 1.5 TFLOPS is the cap which is even better than having NX be permanently capped at like 750 GFLOPS when docked or on the go?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What is hilarious about this is, if true, SMD and HappyNintendoFan were probably right the entire time.

Wait I really hope this isn't transitioning from a full game in a dock to a mobile game when made handheld. That makes the whole console completely unappealing and pointless, we have all have smartphones + consoles that could already do that.
I think he just means a downgraded version of the game on the go.

The appealing part for everyone with a hybrid is that you can take a game like Breath of the Wild and play it on the go. You can take a game like FFVIIR on the go. Nobody will want to play some side mini game thing of a game on the go. I would hope Nintendo knows what the appeal of a hybrid.

If it's up to the developers to decide how the "on the go" version looks or what "form" they want it to take, then that's a different thing.

I would think the simplest thing is have game A playable at home and have game A played down on the go

d00d3n

Seems convenient for the player to be able to seamlessly switch between big screen and handheld gaming, but how does that make NX "a dream to code on"?

TheMoon

Seems convenient for the player to be able to seamlessly switch between big screen and handheld gaming, but how does that make NX "a dream to code on"?

devs can finally hit the "tighten up graphics on level 3" button that so many fans on the internet thought existed for decades.

I'm hoping this means power scaling based on whether it's docked/undocked, not an entirely separate, feature-gimped version of the game or a "companion app." If that's what it turns out to be, my excitement about the NX will be just about dead in the water.

Alebrije

"it's a dream to code" = Low specs hardware incoming

Just hope there are not much low compared to PS4 Xbone

Echoing everyone else... the "form" concept seems a tad bit concerning to me. I'm hoping it simply means graphic reworking and maybe some exclusive functionality...

For example, Smash Bros. graphics and some exclusive stages depending on if it's handheld or console.

orioto

Good Art™

We always hear this kind of bs then the first ports come up and they are horrible.

I'm hoping this means power scaling based on whether it's docked/undocked, not an entirely separate, inferior version of the game or a "companion app." If that's what it turns out to be, my excitement about the NX will be just about dead in the water.
There's no way Ubisoft thinks a mobile/companion app version of the true console game is something that will attract cell phone customers lol. I just think his verbiage was incorrect.

what-ok

I'm hoping this means power scaling based on whether it's docked/undocked, not an entirely separate, feature-gimped version of the game or a "companion app." If that's what it turns out to be, my excitement about the NX will be just about dead in the water.

Imagine fruit ninja in 1080p at 60 FPS!!!!! Hot Damn.

ggx2ac

I'm hoping this means power scaling based on whether it's docked/undocked, not an entirely separate, inferior version of the game or a "companion app." If that's what it turns out to be, my excitement about the NX will be just about dead in the water.

The other part that doesn't make sense is that means people would just take the dock with them to play the game they want to play. lol
(That means the dock better not require a TV although this is just humouring if the portable mode only gives you a companion app. Still By2k mentioned boogie said in a video you play the actual game or part of the game in portable mode so I'm not too worried.)

Kimawolf

Im sure its about power. High power mode and mobile mode.

Developers dont like doing anything beyond whats required so no way they would praise something which requires two versions of the same game.

Peterc

What is hilarious about this is, if true, SMD and HappyNintendoFan were probably right the entire time.

It says

Assassin's Creed once you have your handheld plugged into your console. And then, you could then detach the thing and take it with you and play the Assassin's Creed mobile game out of your pocket. And then when you get back home, plug it directly in and now it attaches back to the... That's brilliant.

He just confirm the hybrid, the handheld you can attach to the base station(console) and detach it again.

It's not a console & handheld device. It's one device with a base station called the console part.

thats how i see it

Discomurf

Hmm... he used Assassins Creed as an example after he stopped himself. I wonder what franchise he was originally referring to ... because having a different 'form of' experience on a game like Watch Dogs or Rayman might be pretty cool and make more sense.

Im sure its about power. High power mode and mobile mode.

Developers dont like doing anything beyond whats required so no way they would praise something which requires two versions of the same game.
Exactly! Developers wouldn't praise this. Developers will do the minimum, which means taking your game on the go will be pointless and no benefit. Might as well drop that part and keep it a console.

ggx2ac

It says

He just confirm the hybrid, the handheld you can attach to the base station(console) and detach it again.

It's not a console & handheld device. It's one device with a base station called the console part.

thats how i see it

He calls it a hybrid in one of his recent videos.

https://youtu.be/_RiP9Wq1mRA

Which also mentions this part by2k said.

So I watched and in his own video on his channel Boogie says when you take the NX on the go you'll either "play the actual game or some form of the game."

I can't even...

Regiruler

They expected third parties to make games with mandatory touch/second screen features with their last system, so I wouldn't rule anything out for being clearly insane

I wish. Otherwise touch menus may actually be a thing.

The gimmicks came from the third parties, the devs that didn't care did a late port of the game with nothing new.

test_account

XP-39C²
Its not a hybrid. Iwata:

"What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform."

Zemm

Sounds like you can't play all the games on the handheld and the TV, he makes it sound like some games will be TV only, which is a little disappointing

Edit: I expected all games would work on both, but the handheld versions would run at a lower resolution or with fewer bells and whistles

Edit 2: And because Nintendo are Nintendo I bet some of the handheld games won't work on the TV

This would be worst case scenario, hope this isn't true.

ggx2ac

Its not a hybrid. Iwata:

"What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform."

Context matters.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=215923839

Again, IF this is true, I still think it could have something to do with a touchscreen only mode.

If the controllers are detachable, the main screen unit must do something without them, I would assume.

Based on what little we've heard, anyway.

Well, he says one of his sources is a Ubisoft employee. So it's another thing to add to the pile of places/sources that have claimed a hybrid.

Eurogamer, IGN, Kotaku, WSJ, Let's Play Video Games, Emily Rogers, NateDrake.
Well he claims to have a source from ubisoft.

Its not a hybrid. Iwata:

He was addressing the merger of Nintendo's hardware divisions. This isn't in reference to NX.

test_account

XP-39C²
I know, just ment it more as a joke since that quote was brought up many times in the past when people speculated in it being a hybrid :) Back then it might not have been, like you mentioned, things can change.

He was addressing the merger of Nintendo's hardware divisions. This isn't in reference to NX.
He was also talking about future platforms, that being the NX.

ggx2ac

Indeed, otherwise he would have went into detail about why they are not merging handheld and console. Instead he went into detail to clearly explain what it meant to merge their architectures and their hardware divisions.

I know, just ment it more as a joke since that quote was brought up many times in the past when people speculated in it being a hybrid :) Back then it might not have been, like you mentioned, things can change.

He was also talking about future platforms, that being the NX.

Well shit, I couldn't tell without the /s tag.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well shit, I couldn't tell without the /s tag.
Hehe, no worries, it was hard to tell without /s indeed.

He was also talking to investors two months after Wii U launched. Using this statement as proof that NX isn't a hybrid is probably not the best idea.

Oh, apparently you were joking or something?
Yeah, ment it mostly as a joke that it was denied many times that Nintendo would make a hybrid system :) I dont think that the recent rumors are wrong, so its most likely a hybrid system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom