• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROPALOOZA confirms NX to be a hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calm Mind

Y6RGFco.gif

Davey Cakes

All the talk of NX has so little substance that it just raises more questions, EVERY TIME.

This is getting out of hand. There's no point in talking if you're just going to confuse people.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It says

He just confirm the hybrid, the handheld you can attach to the base station(console) and detach it again.

It's not a console & handheld device. It's one device with a base station called the console part.

thats how i see it

I read it differently, though. Console that plugs into the TV clearly increases the power when the handheld is plugged in (he mentions that the handheld game won't be as powerful/on the same level).

Will be interesting to see what it ends up being.

Schnozberry

There's plenty of things that may get lost in translation when relaying second party information, so it's probably worth taking this in with a grain of salt. It's nice to hear that people who are getting their hands on it are positive about it though.

The 21st for the reveal date would put it on a Friday. Seems like a non-starter, as it would just get buried in the weekend news dump.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Its not a hybrid. Iwata:

"What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferrable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform."

A hell of a lot has likely changed in the time since he said that, especially since he passed away and Nintendo had a major leadership restructuring. The new management could have decided to change gears and go with one dedicated platform and mobile going forward. Hopefully we'll see soon.

I'm hoping it pans out. I really need all their games playable on TV for it to be worth it for me (I'm done with portables). The Wii U and 3DS combined libraries were just barely enough for me since I'm not into a lot of their franchises anymore, and almost none of the third party exclusives appealed as I don't like JRPGs, SRPGs, Platinum action games, Monster Hunter etc.

I just need a more regular supply of Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Mario Kart etc., and more fresh IPs like Splatoon or I'll just use emulators and my Amiibo shelf to get my Nintendo, mostly nostalgia for me at this point, fix.

Kimawolf

Exactly! Developers wouldn't praise this. Developers will do the minimum, which means taking your game on the go will be pointless and no benefit. Might as well drop that part and keep it a console.
Yeah i imagine from all a available information it sounds like the NX has some kinda auto scaler type thing which developers may find kinda cool. Being able to play at home and then pick up game from dock and it seems to automatically switch to 'mobile mode'.

That Squishturtle article doesn't really strike me as informed...
Boogie would know what he's talking about, though, so it might be nice for him to elaborate on that "form" bit. Not that I think he will at this juncture, though.

I read it differently, though. Console that plugs into the TV clearly increases the power when the handheld is plugged in (he mentions that the handheld game won't be as powerful/on the same level).

Will be interesting to see what it ends up being.

I don't see how there is a direct corelation to the any particular architecture, though. In the video, in fact, he stated that Nintendo was using their own architecture again (which is silly to say in that manner if he just meant that the chipset will be custom), until someone in the audience clarified that Nintendo is rumored to be using Tegra X1s.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't see how there is a direct corelation to the any particular architecture, though. In the video, in fact, he stated that Nintendo was using their own architecture again (which is silly to say in that manner if he just meant that the chipset will be custom), until someone in the audience clarified that Nintendo is rumored to be using Tegra X1s.

Right--I think it's a semantics deal right now. The way he stated it didn't clarify anything at all.

To be fair, I'm in the hybrid camp as well. It makes sense for Nintendo at this point in time. I just found his wording interesting is all.

So I watched and in his own video on his channel Boogie says when you take the NX on the go you'll either "play the actual game or some form of the game."

I can't even...
Ok, so I just watched the video and it just sounded like speculation on his part. He was talking about all the different NX rumors and whose been saying this and that. I definitely don't take that part serious at all.

So he has zero idea what he's talking about.

Like I said he was only speculating and talking about rumors. Idk why it was taken out of context on here.

ekurisona

boogie's nx update from his channel 6 days ago...

https://youtu.be/_RiP9Wq1mRA?t=43s

-he says the nx may play the game or some form of the game on the go

-he says it's going to be $450, as per the uk tesco page

-mentions tegra X2 rumor

-says leaks show it will do 4K video streaming & 900p gameplay

-mentions rumors about pokemon & smash

-he expects october reveal

Plinko

-mentions tegra X2 rumor

Vena

So I watched and in his own video on his channel Boogie says when you take the NX on the go you'll either "play the actual game or some form of the game."

I can't even...

Sounds like two different settings. Much clearer from his other comment.

TheMoon

No.

No.

Shit. This is gonna suck, isn't it?

Because all of this is totally real and coming from reliable sources lol.

yup, just throwing all the obviously fake rumors into a bowl with the somewhat credible rumors and shaking it into his own drink of BS lol.

again I ask: how is this thread still open.

Hermii

-mentions tegra X2 rumor

He has no idea what he's talking about, he is just listing old romours. Several of which got debunked really quickly.

There's plenty of things that may get lost in translation when relaying second party information, so it's probably worth taking this in with a grain of salt. It's nice to hear that people who are getting their hands on it are positive about it though.

The 21st for the reveal date would put it on a Friday. Seems like a non-starter, as it would just get buried in the weekend news dump.

Now, I'm not sure how much we should trust this guy, but it should also be noted that he was also said that he wasn't sure what he can actually say (without getting his sources in trouble). So, not only is this a second-hand source, but it is also edited due to the guy being cautious. It's a very good chance that his example has at least some inaccuracies.

ggx2ac

That's definitely the iffy part because he references the survey that talked about 4k streaming and assumed the NX would do 900p which wasn't really a leak, just a survey to gauge things about what consumers would want out of the NX.

-mentions tegra X2 rumor

My guess is the average Gaffer has the same amount of insight into NX as this individual.

Or probably more.

So you're playing Super Mario Galaxy Universe on your home console. Unplug that from the base, and now you're playing Super Mario (Run) on the go!

Ick

Alebrije

Like the hybrid theory, hope the dock ads performance boost to the games , something like PRO vs PS4 so on mobile mode the game has a performance but when being on home mode it increases, I mean I really hope Home NX delivers 1080p 60fps games

Guys, Boogie is pretty well known in the industry. He presented an award at last year's VGAs. Is it really that hard to believe that he has contacts?

I don't see any reason to think that he was talking out of his ass. He was asked a question he had never heard before and gave an unrehearsed answer. He did it, not over Twitter, but in front of a live audience. Regardless of the accuracy of the information, I don't see any reason to believe he didn't talk to anyone.

Genio88

-mentions tegra X2 rumor

I hope the 450$ rumor is wrong, the initial rumors talked about a cheap console, made for both hardcore and casual gamers, that price would be pretty bad for Nintendo

One other thing he said was

"I know someone who played the NX for 20 minutes. They said it's as innovative as they hoped too and they said "wished we would've done that"".

I don't get this part. That makes it sound like a hardware developer like Sony or MS were playing the NX and thought how cool this innovation was of one for at home and another on the go, lol.

Guys, Boogie is pretty well known in the industry. He presented an award at last year's VGAs. Is it really that hard to believe that he has contacts?

I don't see any reason to think that he was talking out of his ass. He was asked a question he had never heard before and gave an unrehearsed answer. He did it, not over Twitter, but in front of a live audience. Regardless of the accuracy of the information, I don't see any reason to believe he didn't talk to anyone.

I think the problem is he's mixing rumors with what he's heard and it's kind of muddying things up. Plus, he's getting this second hand. It could be a telephone effect where he tells it different to everyone compared to what these people told him.

So we are paying attention to a random guy that is repeating all the rumours we already knew? Have we gone crazy or what? Are we that desperated about the system reveal to stand this?

He said he talked with someone at Ubisoft and he said he talked with someone who played the NX for 20 minutes. So, he's saying things he's heard from these people and he's mixing in the rumors he's heard over the internet.

Schnozberry

It could also be a mix of things.

It's definitely nothing I would take super seriously. He sounds like he's heard the same mix of rumors everyone else has, and he's trying to make it jive with whatever limited information he was given from people he knows.

The most interesting things here are that it's easy to code for and that people who have had their hands on it really do find it innovative. The home/mobile split in the software could be conjecture based on something he misinterpreted. It doesn't jive with what we've heard from Eurogamer et al.

Also, I think people are reading into the "form of the game" comment too much. Like I said it was an unrehearsed answer. He didn't really have time to meticulously pick his words.

marmoka

Banned
So we are paying attention to a random guy that is repeating all the rumours we already knew? Have we gone crazy or what? Are we that desperated about the system reveal to stand this?

TheMoon

So you're playing Super Mario Galaxy Universe on your home console. Unplug that from the base, and now you're playing Super Mario (Run) on the go!

Ick

No, you're playing Super Mario Universe at home and then you play Angry Birds once you unplug it. You also pay in dogecoins if you buy stuff on the go.

Hence my gifs of ridiculous things dancing like idiots.^^

Also, I think people are reading into the "form of the game" comment too much. Like I said it was an unrehearsed answer. He didn't really have time to meticulously pick his words.

I agree.

Which means he really has no more insight into NX than anyone else. I'm sure he heard something from someone, but the info he was given is nothing new.

Alebrije

The $450.00 US pricetag is even to high for a rumor.

Nintendo would be dead even on a $400 US price.

200-300 is where the NX should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom