• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROPALOOZA confirms NX to be a hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

It's definitely nothing I would take super seriously. He sounds like he's heard the same mix of rumors everyone else has, and he's trying to make it jive with whatever limited information he was given from people he knows.

The most interesting things here are that it's easy to code for and that people who have had their hands on it really do find it innovative. The home/mobile split in the software could be conjecture based on something he misinterpreted. It doesn't jive with what we've heard from Eurogamer et al.

My reading on the later posted info for the "game modes" for on the go vs. console, makes it sounds like two different power draw configurations. /shrug

Not sure where the ideas for Dreamcast/Mobile games are coming from, no one would do such a thing and call a system "easy to develop for", I'd call that a pain in the ass. Two different profiles linked to flipping a power switch? That I can understand and that would be much easier to work with.

This would be absolutely heartbreaking to me. To me, unity and consistency between the handheld and console experiences is the single most important factor, even if producing that consistency requires a less robust console experience.

I would much rather have a game be smaller (in scope, in power requirements, in fidelity) but fully playable on-the-go and at home than have two different experiences in two different settings.

Vena

This would be absolutely heartbreaking to me. To me, unity and consistency between the handheld and console experiences is the single most important factor, even if producing that consistency requires a less robust console experience.

I would much rather have a game be smaller (in scope, in power requirements, in fidelity) but fully playable on-the-go and at home than have two different experiences in two different settings.

No one is going to make the latter.

This is the NX then?

Screen-shot-2011-08-05-at-8.55.10-AM.png

Matbtz

If this is true, I really hope that a true 3DS successor happens at some point...

The different form of a game is a bit frightening but if this is a true hybrid the form of the game on the go can't be just a minigame. It has to be a version of the game at least on par (I guess far better) with what a (new)3DS can produce. Maybe like the DQ example, you play a full 3D version at home but a top down version on the go. But it would not be easy for developers I guess. So for me it has to be a scale down version of the game, graphic wise, it's the only logical possibility IMO.

If they wanted to make mini games version of a game on the go, they can make a home console and give us someway mini games on smartphone on an NX app or whatever.

boogie's nx update from his channel 6 days ago...

https://youtu.be/_RiP9Wq1mRA?t=43s

-he says the nx may play the game or some form of the game on the go

-he says it's going to be $450, as per the uk tesco page

-mentions tegra X2 rumor

-says leaks show it will do 4K video streaming & 900p gameplay

-mentions rumors about pokemon & smash

-he expects october reveal
Nah.
4K 900p is from that survey and Nintendo isn't releasing a handheld/something with a mobile chip for $450.

Nugg

you could then detach the thing and take it with you and play the Assassin's Creed mobile game out of your pocket.

Nope. I want something I can't already do with my phone, or else I'll never use it..

Hermii

Two different games on the go and when docked is ridiculous and it's pointless even entertaining it. Especially coupled with the "great to code for" line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom