• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal, are you dipping or waiting?

GHG

i think most people will buy as the ps5 doesn’t really have any actual next gen games yet outside of darksouls (which is technically a remake)

Gotta dust it off now
PaJ9WJD.jpg

If that's actually yours then I think you should get into the habit of cleaning your shit at least once a week. Even if you use the console it's not magically going to dust itself.

Imagine being that dirty and being proud of it.

I might grab it when I get a PS5 or if it comes to PC before I get the PS5. It seems like a western horror third-person shooter Touhou-like with a Hans Ruedi Giger mixed with a Lovecraft aesthetics, so it is almost a must-pick for me unless the story portion of it is garbage.

drotahorror

I was gonna buy the game anyway cuz Housemarque is GOAT, but I slept on it and I'm fuckin hype now.

Been a while since I felt like this about a game.

SkylineRKR

Looks good but gonna play NieR and RE 8. Hoping this game will see a price reduction in the summer. It seems to be a fun romp to fire up now and then. Can't see it becoming a success as is though.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Was waiting, until today/yesterday's videos dropped and alleviated all the concerns I might have had about this game.

I needed long videos of gameplay and not cut every 3 seconds ...That's exactly what we got and it reassured me greatly, I've seen 2 or 3 weapons already(which was one of my interrogation) understand better how the game works.
And it went from "yeah let's wait or maybe on sale" to "Day 1 easy".

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not really my thing, don't see the appeal of rouge likes. Got a ton on them on PC thru various giveaways and only one I spent more then 20 mins on was the issac one. Glad its out there for people that enjoy it but I prefer my 3rd person movie like action games, Sony's bread and butter as it were.

chinoXL

pre-ordered the digital deluxe version..been waiting on this..in Hoiusemarque i trust..these new previews just makes the decision even better

Not really my thing, don't see the appeal of rouge likes.
Same.

I also don't really care for 1st or 3rd person shooters outside of the classics like Doom & Quake. Plus, I'm not really feeling the protagonist of this game either.

Definitely a wait for me. I feel like it will eventually be a PS+ game in a couple of years.

Derktron

Banned
i think most people will buy as the ps5 doesn’t really have any actual next gen games yet outside of darksouls (which is technically a remake)

Gotta dust it off now
PaJ9WJD.jpg
Shit, I'll take it off your hands, I'll take the PS5, I want a PS5. It's amazing how people who are privilege to even have a PS5 put the PS5 in dust.

yurinka

I think it's very interesting to see arcade bullet hell-ish gameplay in a AAA game. And other than gunplay the other gameplay mechanics like the platforming or air dash also seem fun and cool. Sounds cool for me.

Aurelius

I know it's a different genre but seeing gameplay footage of this game and NieR next to each other today is really winning me over for Returnal. No PS5 yet so will have to wait.

Papacheeks

Banned
Rather wait and try it , hopefully they release a demo. I don’t trust the gaming press much particularly when it comes to PlayStation.

Demo's take away from development. ANd there are now multiple people streaming this game to show you what its about. Game informer did 45 Minutes, IGN has first 17 Minutes in 4k/60.

If you can't decide if it's something you would want to play than wait for a sale.

This game has been upfront on what it is from the very beginning.

Demo's take away from development. ANd there are now multiple people streaming this game to show you what its about. Game informer did 45 Minutes, IGN has first 17 Minutes in 4k/60.

If you can't decide if it's something you would want to play than wait for a sale.

I prefer to play than watch for long periods. I like a few third person shooters I’m just not sure about this from what I’ve seen so I’m holding off and a demo would be nice to try it out for myself before parting with money.

Papacheeks

Banned
I prefer to play than watch for long periods. I like a few third person shooters I’m just not sure about this from what I’ve seen so I’m holding off and a demo would be nice to try it out for myself before parting with money.

Would be nice if PSN had similar setup like steam. Buy the game play for 2 hours and if its not your thing you can return it.

I'm more on the fence because I can see Sony dropping this as a PlayStation Plus title in the summer/fall.

It all depends on the kind of deal they made with Sony. If the game does well at full price, then I can see a good summer sale happening, and then maybe in Jan-Feb of 2022 it being Free on plus. Usually these kind of deals are done ahead of time. So if they wrote the deal depending on sales numbers then maybe we see it sooner than later?

Last edited:
Waiting for it to dip below 70. Fuck outta here with that 70 price tag they're pushing this gen. It does look better and better each time I see it and I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeds my expectations and receives 85+ on Metacritic and becomes a huge hit with users. I will be one of those people when it dips below 70. I could pay 70 but I am not trying to feed into the agenda of $70 games. We'll see.

Shmunter

Waiting for it to dip below 70. Fuck outta here with that 70 price tag they're pushing this gen. It does look better and better each time I see it and I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeds my expectations and receives 85+ on Metacritic and becomes a huge hit with users. I will be one of those people when it dips below 70. I could pay 70 but I am not trying to feed into the agenda of $70 games. We'll see.
It’s next gen only tho, limited user base. I agree on cross gen being a rip off, but exceptions could be considered under these circumstances?

DESTROYA

I have to buy a PS5 first. :pie_roffles:
Looks cool but nut running to buy a PS5 anytime soon either or any next gen console to be honest.

It’s next gen only tho, limited user base. I agree on cross gen being a rip off, but exceptions could be considered under these circumstances?
I am going to have to see some next gen gameplay for that to be a consideration
I mean a game really taking advantage of this SSD they keep talking about
We should start seeing entire set pieces/gameplay sequences that are not possible on current gen systems
Film like, immersive. Whatever you want to call it. Basically the end of the UE5 demo on steroids.
Our jaws should start hitting the floor not just from graphics but from gameplay
I just don't want prettier graphics and PS4/XBOX gameplay with extra effects here and there
This is why I look forward to Sony's 1st party studios who I hope will achieve next gen gameplay
MS too if their developers also focus on elevating gameplay
When I start seeing that, 70 might become a consideration
I'm looking at Ragnarok and Ratchet&Clank to start the precedent assuming Ragnarok is also ps5 exclusive
Even with those 2, there is something about this push for 70 that makes me feel it is pure corporate greed and nothing else
Oh but inflation and production costs. All bullshit to me and these corporations' fanboy armies eat the PR up.
Next thing you know mediocre games will be $100.

Last edited:
I think people believing this will quickly drop drastically in price are in for a disappointment. I really believe Sony will go out of their way to show they will keep their games at full price for a long time similar to how Nintendo has done forever.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Sure demo take away dev time but I feel that roguelike are perfect for demos, like being able to play only the first biome or only in 15 min sessions.
Beside the game is already gold, I feel like it would bernefit the game especially at that price.
It can give a good preview of the dualsense and the 3D audio (not even speaking of the gamefeel which Housemarque is known for).

jm89

The recent gameplay and impressions sure is making it difficult to wait. Still gonna hold out for a reasonable price, got nier and resi 8 to keep me busy for a while.

Sygma

Its the only interesting game coming up before some isometric rpgs on pc supposedly later on this year, so of course. RE 8 looks uninspired and has trash gunplay (+ probs 20 hours of content top), ME is just another remake which leaves Biomutant, Hood and Dark Alliance as snacks until some other stuff comes out

Returnal also looks like a crazy hdr showcase

Last edited:
Top Bottom