• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Hands-On Preview

MonarchJT

Banned
the gameplay looks really fun can't wait to know more about it. It could score ala resogun .. it's not clear to me why Sony is pricing it as AAA, from the gifs it clearly isn't

and my hands after playing it for 30 minutes

Test_Your_Knowledge2_clip_image002.jpg

supernova8

Banned
"Hands-on preview" from a Sony employee? That's not exactly an honest hands-on preview.

This is a text advertisement.

Can you find a single negative thing said about the game or even hinted at in this commercial? Nope. What a trash "preview."
Yeah was thinking the same thing. Honestly it looks a bit dull to me. It looks like Vanquish but shit.

I wonder what actual reviewers (not people on the Sony payroll) will say when it finally goes out to them.

DonJorginho

Banned
The fact this is coming straight from Sony makes me wary that preorder figures are really low and they're pushing this VERY positive hands on article to convince people to pay the ridiculous £70 asking price.

Jim Ryan is literally fucking over Housemarque, price the game normally so it gains the success it will deserve!

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
The fact this is coming straight from Sony makes me wary that preorder figures are really low and they're pushing this VERY positive hands on article to convince people to pay the ridiculous £70 asking price.

Jim Ryan is literally fucking over Housemarque, price the game normally so it gains the success it will deserve!
chill, its a Sony exclusive, of course they are going to do a preview for their own game , its legal not a crime =_=

turtlepowa

Banned
"Hands-on preview" from a Sony employee? That's not exactly an honest hands-on preview.

This is a text advertisement.

Can you find a single negative thing said about the game or even hinted at in this commercial? Nope. What a trash "preview."
What did you expect? That he says "Have a look at our BlingBling 80 Euro AA game featuring a woke Brienne of Tarth ripoff"?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
chill, its a Sony exclusive, of course they are going to do a preview for their own game , its legal not a crime =_=
Game Informer has a preview up of MLB the Show, and that comes out on April 20th.

Are any press outlets going to be allowed to do previews?

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Game Informer has a preview up of MLB the Show, and that comes out on April 20th, before this game comes out.

Are any press outlets going to be allowed to do previews?
i expect more preview soon tbh, i would be very surprise if this is the only preview we have

DonJorginho

Banned
Until they're no press previews this stinks.

Sony have fucked up the marketing for this from the start, from the lack of details to the obscene pricing to the woeful trailer that had everyone falsely hyped with its PT inspired start and now this.

Housemarque deserve better.

SLB1904

Banned
Until they're no press previews this stinks.

Sony have fucked up the marketing for this from the start, from the lack of details to the obscene pricing to the woeful trailer that had everyone falsely hyped with its PT inspired start and now this.

Housemarque deserve better.
Better than get funds to make they first AAA game?

jaysius

Banned
This game looks amazing and the fact that it has only a first party preview is a great sign! Showing that procedural generation in a $70 game is a great idea!

APRIL FOOLS!!!

Seriously though, this game will see most of it's action when it appears on Plus or Now.

Last edited:
Would this game really be considered 'next-gen' to the fans here? Just because it's a PS exclusive? Because tbh, it doesn't look like anything we've not seen before.
Next gen in name, in that it's only on a next gen console. But looking at it, I would definitely agree it does not seem super next gen in terms of graphical representation or anything.

Also, it doesn't need to be. Every game that comes out for PS5 or XSX don't need to be "only possible" on the next gen systems. It's okay if every game isn't some insane piece of software pushing each next gen system to its limit.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Wish people would stop talking about the price. It doesn't matter what the price is right now, it matters if the game is quality or not. Unfortunately it's not looking rosy.

Pedro Motta

Would this game really be considered 'next-gen' to the fans here? Just because it's a PS exclusive? Because tbh, it doesn't look like anything we've not seen before.
I'm a fan of Housemarque games and I don't consider this to be "next-gen". Not in it's true sense anyway. Sure it will have some things that aren't possible on a PS4, like resolutions and framerates, but I don't think the tech is all the way next gen.

VFXVeteran

Banned
What this got to do with this thread?
Someone mentioned it was another next-gen title for PS. I'm trying to get a grip on what the general consensus is on what is considered 'next-gen'. There are other 3rd party games that have come out around this time and many don't view them as next-gen simply because they may come out for the last gen systems.

Demon Souls set a very high bar in it's visual quality and I'm trying to make sense of the consistency. I will hold off on getting this unless people start screaming it's all that and a bag-of-chips. I plan on doing a graphics analysis on every game on the PS5 that I buy. I want it to be worthwhile.

skit_data

I wouldnt say its a technical showcase by any means, but from a gameplay perspective i like what im seeing so far. We will probably get a better look on how it actually looks in a State of Play because all trailers are quick cuts between fast paced gameplay.

Edit: Lol, they already had a short one:

I have completely missed it for some reason

Edit 2: Not on the level of Demons Souls, but from a quick glance it looks better than most PS4 games. Fog, lighting and textures look better imo.

Last edited:

chinoXL

game looks cool as hell to me, i'll definitely check it out. I've seen lots of TV plugs an online advertising for this game. hopefully we can get a state of play on it. not sure why people seem to want to be negative on this game and always bring up the price of it..if the budget was AAA why should they then get Indie profits in return? let's see how it plays out in the hands of other reviewers...regardless day one for me, i rock with Housemarque

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Gameplay looks really good. Still haven't decided if I want a physical copy or just to go digital so I don't have to swap the disc. I'll definitely be all over this on day 1.

I wouldnt say its a technical showcase by any means, but from a gameplay perspective i like what im seeing so far. We will probably get a better look on how it actually looks in a State of Play because all trailers are quick cuts between fast paced gameplay.

Edit: Lol, they already had a short one:

I have completely missed it for some reason

Edit 2: Not on the level of Demons Souls, but from a quick glance it looks better than most PS4 games. Fog, lighting and textures look better imo.

It looks far more visually impressive in the 4K video footage than most of the GIFs we've seen. It looks very fluid and responsive as well. I'm still not sold and will likely wait for impressions and gameplay streams, or a demo ideally, but I am interested in it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I mean, it looks nice, however I am really not sure about this arcade type of combat with TPS controls, it's like playing fucking geometry wars with Doom Gears/Uncharted style gameplay, I am not sure if I want that. Most likely not.

This is the game, which I would gladly play on PS Now, because I am totally unsure if I would even have fun playing it. Sony could push a ton of subscription this way, I believe.

For me PSNow-GamePass/10

Last edited:

skit_data

It looks far more visually impressive in the 4K video footage than most of the GIFs we've seen. It looks very fluid and responsive as well. I'm still not sold and will likely wait for impressions and gameplay streams, or a demo ideally, but I am interested in it.
Yeah the gifs does it no justice, probably due to the darkness in almost all shots. It has some hickups in framerate but it will probably be sorted in the final release

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Can anyone tell me why this isn't worth $70 dollars a month before release?

How do you know that before playing?
Well I, for example, think there's 3 reasons why I'll wait to see more before buying.
I'm am afraid of repetitiveness whch is not a problem I usually have with roguelikes but is some the I have with 3D roguelikes, like risk of rain.I loved the 1st 2d one and hated the 3d one.
2nd reason is I don't know how much content/ variety there is in the game, I have seen maybe like 2 or 3 weapons and I really hope there's more.
3rd I hope it won't be too hard, I know housemarque and they can make pretty tough games.
So for all theses reasons it is to me a wait for reviews and more videos to ee if I'll buy it.
One other thing is that the trailers did nothing to me but the gameplay vids looked really good but there was always too much cuts, a long uncut video of gameplay would be a better seeling point to me.
So is it worth 70$ I have no idea, but would I put 70$ in it as of now? Porbably not, but tha is subject to change one way or another depending on reviews and videos.

THEAP99

Banned
Sorry but I got halfway through reading that wall of text and had the stop. If you can't sell me based on gameplay alone and need to type out paragraphs to try and convince me to get the game, then it isn't great

engstra

Exactly, it's pretty mad how so many people are blindly claiming this game isn't worth 70. Way I see it there's a reason the game is worth that amount. Think once released and people get their hands on it, we'll discover it's a much larger game than anticipated.

THEAP99

Banned

Because it doesn't have a real story and the production value and scale of the game is leagues below what sony's $70 games actually are

Top Bottom