• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Hands-On Preview

SLB1904

Banned
They don 't do graphics analysis at the scale I do. They do frame counts and FPS comparisons. And they are hardly more competent than me. None of them ever worked in the industry and programmed graphics for a living.

Too bad, you aren't more competent. It would have given your offensive comment more justification instead of just being a troll.
i am the troll? literally, your first comment in this thread was trolling with an u8nrelated topic that was never mentioned anywhere in this thread in the first place.saying that there is more competent peoplle than you is offensive? you know why u think is offensive because you have an ego of the size of the moon.

Anybody could tell you that game was a piece of crap from the get go.
Anyone except Sony apparently, who tried to sell it to everyone for $70 just a couple months ago.

I'm not trying to rake you over the coals in particular, and I am a Sony fan who owns a PS5. But they have had some very recent suspect pricing decisions and I am absolutely going to make sure I make my opinion on that known as frequently as possible. Miles Morales was overpriced DLC that I regret buying, and nothing shown so far on Returnal is justifying this price point; least of all this text advertisement masquerading as a preview.

Sony is making some boneheaded decisions lately. People need to be skeptical until they hear otherwise from reliable sources.

Last edited:

engstra

Miles Morales was $50 and bumped up to $70 for those who didn't read fine print and got the bundle with upgraded SpiderMan PS4. Major rip-off for only 6-8 hours worth of new content.
Maybe for some but as far as I understand, the quality of what's there is excellent and to 100% the game takes twice that amount of time which is a fairly long experience.

Fredrik

Reads more like an ad than a hands-on preview.

But it’s Housemarque so it should play well. I’m not sold on the camera perspective, difficult to notice threats around you, camera movement looks chaotic, might trigger my motion sickness. But I really like what they say about exploration, intertwined sections with area bosses, gear upgrades to unlock other sections = Metroidvania! And Gears instant reload is always rewarding!

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don’t know why the first thing that came to my mind is door-to-door sellers. I mean ofcourse this will be an only positive preview.

SLB1904

Banned
Maybe for some but as far as I understand, the quality of what's there is excellent and to 100% the game takes twice that amount of time which is a fairly long experience.
EJAHiql.png
YXGfh4L.png
Jwogo3e.png
4OGe2rk.png

all $60. but $40 for miles is a overpriced dlc

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really want to love this game, but like many others this just dsent look like it should cost what they are asking for it.

i respect sonys hustle in pushing this preview to try and change that narrative...but I dunno.... :/

EJAHiql.png
YXGfh4L.png
Jwogo3e.png
4OGe2rk.png

For most people, a lot of the value from the Gears of War series comes from it's competitive multiplayer offerings and Horde. Not to mention shooters are known and expected to have campaigns that range between 8 to 12 hours except for rare instances like Titanfall 2. On the other hand, the SpiderMan games are strictly a single-player experience, so more is expected from them on that front. Very bad comparison you pulled.

TonyK

For me it's too dark but at the same time too colourful. Art direction, or maybe the word is "mood" doesn't feel right or appealing. The weird choice for the main character doesn't help either. I don't know, for me it should get a +90 in Metacritic for considering to buy it, and even in that case it should be at 30€ max.

SLB1904

Banned
For most people, a lot of the value from the Gears of War series comes from it's competitive multiplayer offerings and Horde. Not to mention shooters are known and expected to have campaigns that range between 8 to 12 hours except for rare instances like Titanfall 2. On the other hand, the SpiderMan games are strictly a single-player experience, so more is expected from them on that front. Very bad comparison you pulled.
yeah gears is bad comparison.. i dont play mp completely forget that game has mp. but hell you can go on how long to beat and you will find a lot more full prices games that costs 60 bucks

MastaKiiLA

VFX, you should really reserve your analysis for your own threads. The moment you weigh in with your negativity, you derail threads. As soon as I saw your avatar, I was thinking, "Well, gg thread. You almost had a chance."

Back on topic, as this preview is from Sony themselves, there's not a whole lot of weight that can be put into their opinions. I just enjoyed the clips, which look great. I'm really hoping that Housemarque delivered another fun gem here. As I don't have a PS5 yet, they might once again be the publisher of the game that I sink the most time into upon purchase.

Keihart

EJAHiql.png
YXGfh4L.png
Jwogo3e.png
4OGe2rk.png

I'm completly with you on the notion that the price of a game related to the "content" or hours of gameplay, a short game can very well be worth a high price tag.
But i think most people birng the price to discussion with this game, myself included, because production values and your target audience are things that should be considered when pricing a game. I find housemarque games to be really fun, must of them at least, but neither the production shown on the trailers or the public they might be targeting with a rouge like game like this screams full priced release, maybe i'm wrong, but for my money , Production wise, Ades seems on par and more polished of a game with it's long time as a early access tittle.

I hope they do good with this game, because they do seem to be in their last legs as a studio and the price tag really doesn't seem like it's going to help selling more copies, maybe i'm wrong, but at 15 or 20 they could've of targeted the whole PS5 user base giving how starved for exclusives the console is.

I hope they do a pure combat launch trailer showcasing the better parts of the game, because the "cinematic approach" makes it look way more jank than needed.

Topher

Gold Member

SS:MM is fun as hell though. That counts for something, right? As far as comparisons, there were four games in his post. Throw out the Gears and you still have Mario and RE that are comparable in length and yet still cost $10 more. SS:MM turned out to be a damn good deal, frankly. I only have 12 platinum trophies to my name and that is one of them.

Whether or not Returnal is worth the price remains to be seen.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
I'm completly with you on the notion that the price of a game related to the "content" or hours of gameplay, a short game can very well be worth a high price tag.
But i think most people birng the price to discussion with this game, myself included, because production values and your target audience are things that should be considered when pricing a game. I find housemarque games to be really fun, must of them at least, but neither the production shown on the trailers or the public they might be targeting with a rouge like game like this screams full priced release, maybe i'm wrong, but for my money , Production wise, Ades seems on par and more polished of a game with it's long time as a early access tittle.

I hope they do good with this game, because they do seem to be in their last legs as a studio and the price tag really doesn't seem like it's going to help selling more copies, maybe i'm wrong, but at 15 or 20 they could've of targeted the whole PS5 user base giving how starved for exclusives the console is.

I hope they do a pure combat launch trailer showcasing the better parts of the game, because the "cinematic approach" makes it look way more jank than needed.
thats the problem we dont know nothing about the game. how long it will be.. how it plays. and you have already people raging in ignorance. i believe we should vote with our wallets. its not like we wont have reviews before launch and no one is forcing anybody to pay that price. but apparently im the crazy one for thinking like that

Does this game have any multiplayer? I could see me having some fun with this style of game if I can go with my buddies.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Does this game have any multiplayer? I could see me having some fun with this style of game if I can go with my buddies.
No multiplayer, but some online elements. Also has a leaderboard (no PS+ required) with certain challenges, weapons, and only one shot for you to get your name up there.

dcmk7

Banned
I can't wait to see this run natively, have they had HDR in any other titles they've released? I hope they do a good job on that aspect of it.

n.b - Jesu Christi, so many angry/sad cunts in this thread.

Name and shame them.

"Hands-on preview" from a Sony employee? That's not exactly an honest hands-on preview.

This is a text advertisement.

Can you find a single negative thing said about the game or even hinted at in this commercial? Nope. What a trash "preview."
This.

I think the game looks good. But, I'd like to see a "preview" from someone/someplace that isn't employed by the company. This is just advertising. Game looks good tho.

Name and shame them.
He can't, because it's easier to just call people sad then actually argue anything they're saying is wrong.

All the points I said are objectively correct. 1) This is a biased preview. 2) The pricing for the game is more than twice the cost of their previous games. 3) The pricing for the game is almost double what the highest roguelike has ever sold for. 4) There's never been a AAA roguelike ever. 5) Sony just recently tried to push Destruction All-Stars for full price, as well as Miles Morales despite both being light on content.

But go right ahead and get hyped up. Maybe you guys can sell your unplayed copies of Cyberpunk for your next pre-order before reviews are even out.

Anyone except Sony apparently, who tried to sell it to everyone for $70 just a couple months ago.

I'm not trying to rake you over the coals in particular, and I am a Sony fan who owns a PS5. But they have had some very recent suspect pricing decisions and I am absolutely going to make sure I make my opinion on that known as frequently as possible. Miles Morales was overpriced DLC that I regret buying, and nothing shown so far on Returnal is justifying this price point; least of all this text advertisement masquerading as a preview.

Sony is making some boneheaded decisions lately. People need to be skeptical until they hear otherwise from reliable sources.

By no means do I support the $70 dollar price tag. what I meant is constantly bitching about it won't do any good, instead directly if possible make your voice heard on their official Twitter or other means of social media. but my issue isn't about just the price, it's the trolls and fanboys who seem to be using the whole price issue as an excuse to drive by shit on this game. I support developers who go out of their comfort zones to try to devote and develop something different from what they previously have made. it may not be the best thing since slice bread, it may not be innovative or trying to break through any or some sort of new genre. but it's something unique to their eyes and their minds, it's progress. and I for one will support progress if it means one day they potentially might make something that will have the masses talking. the usual suspects which you all know who you are. couldn't care less if it was 50, 40, or even 15 dollars. they'll find something to try to shit on the game about. that's why I said wait for reviews from other sources before completely judging rather than saying "oh this game doesn't look anything special" as I say and I'll say again judge for yourself after you try something or Don't knock it till you try it.

dcmk7

Banned
He can't, because it's easier to just call people sad then actually argue anything they're saying is wrong.

All the points I said are objectively correct. 1) This is a biased preview. 2) The pricing for the game is more than twice the cost of their previous games. 3) The pricing for the game is almost double what the highest roguelike has ever sold for. 4) There's never been a AAA roguelike ever. 5) Sony just recently tried to push Destruction All-Stars for full price, as well as Miles Morales despite both being light on content.

But go right ahead and get hyped up. Maybe you guys can sell your unplayed copies of Cyberpunk for your next pre-order before reviews are even out.

Neither one of us know the quality of the game.

And without knowing that we have very little to go off.

I'll rather wait and see what reviews are like first of all rather than shitting on it based on a price and being first of a kind (triple AAA roguelike).

You seem to have written it off as a bad game already.

Keihart

About point 4....Soul games are rougelikes...but yeah, generally speaking you are right. But there are exceptions.

Kuranghi

Why do you assume I'm talking about you? What a self-important wally you sound like right now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The people I'm referring to aren't worth the time/grief, hence the backhanded comment, non-wallys will know who I mean.

Here I'll address your posts directly:

All this anger because you didn't read a review for MM before buying it, ffs why don't you take it as a call to be more dilligent in your purchasing decisions? Did you not do that before PS games were increased in cost by $10?

I bought MM as well, I played it for 15 hours maybe, thats a terrible deal compared how much time I got out of Spiderman 2018, but was the game fun? Yeah I really loved it and I found the improvements in graphics, etc to be a step up from 2018, not just in resolution. The game was amazing for a launch title of a new console for me. YMMV.

So at the end of the day the hours/pound cost I've paid is much higher than SM 2018, so I would mention that if someone asked me for advice about what to buy for PS5. The exact same way I'd say a first time run of RE2 Remake is likely to be longer than the same for RE3 Remake. It doesn't really have any bearing on whether that time spent was good though does it?

You're remind me of TV customers I had where they didn't listen to the honest advice I gave them, then make a bad purchasing decision and then keep coming back to the shop to stand around looking angry and staring at the TVs they could've bought or even trying to put off other customers by saying "X brand is shit", which is absolutely pathetic behaviour.

Tell Sony how disappointed you are with the purchase (I'm sure you have) and tell others here to be wary of early PS5 games that might not have the length you'd expect for a full price game, if that matters to them.

I was never talking about you, I didn't even read your posts until now ffs.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Because it doesn't have a real story and the production value and scale of the game is leagues below what sony's $70 games actually are
How doesn't it have a "real" story? That was the whole idea behind the game, the same fun Housemarque style gameplay but also with a deeper emphasis on story

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Returnal would have been a day one purchase for me especially since I love Housemarque but not into the procedural generation and rogue like elements in the game. Not for me. Oh well. Looks great though.

Unknown?

"Hands-on preview" from a Sony employee? That's not exactly an honest hands-on preview.

This is a text advertisement.

Can you find a single negative thing said about the game or even hinted at in this commercial? Nope. What a trash "preview."
That's how almost all previews are... They will talk nice in a preview about a game they give a 5/10 on most websites.

Neither one of us know the quality of the game.

And without knowing that we have very little to go off.

I'll rather wait and see what reviews are like first of all rather than shitting on it based on a price and being first of a kind (triple AAA roguelike).

You seem to have written it off as a bad game already.
Im not writing off the game actually. Most housemarque games are really good. I think it is likely overpriced though and I blame the publisher.

If its really worth that price then I'm happy to be wrong

Someone mentioned it was another next-gen title for PS. I'm trying to get a grip on what the general consensus is on what is considered 'next-gen'. There are other 3rd party games that have come out around this time and many don't view them as next-gen simply because they may come out for the last gen systems.

Demon Souls set a very high bar in it's visual quality and I'm trying to make sense of the consistency. I will hold off on getting this unless people start screaming it's all that and a bag-of-chips. I plan on doing a graphics analysis on every game on the PS5 that I buy. I want it to be worthwhile.
in my Thread about the Games visual achievements you took the exact oposite stance - are you bipolar? :messenger_moon::messenger_sun:
about topic:
while the game is not a looker per se one can strill clearly see (and logicaly assume ) that the Game will use alot of PS5s featureset. What i can see from the Footage we have so far, is an extremly high polygon count.
Especially the latest Trailer showed that the Enemy Monsters are highly detailed.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
in my Thread about the Games visual achievements you took the exact oposite stance - are you bipolar? :messenger_moon::messenger_sun:
about topic:
I have the game and can judge it fairly. As in my review, it's texture quality and use of the more expensive POM is commendable. That alone has set a high bar for the PS5. Let's see how many other exclusive games do the same.

60fps mode? If not, it’s a hard no for me.

Dark sci-fi is where it’s at, and I‘m impressed with the visuals. The high price tag will put a target on it’s reception.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see this run natively, have they had HDR in any other titles they've released? I hope they do a good job on that aspect of it.

n.b - Jesu Christi, so many angry/sad cunts in this thread.
Oh my gosh bro, you should really try out Nex Machina. Would probably look crazy on your king of Lcds!

My physical copy of Alienation came in the mail, it's not hdr, but I got it because of how much I liked NM.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I have no idea why some people laughed at this post but whatever. I don't mean it looks amazing as in best graphics ever, because it doesn't, it looks okayish, but the gameplay looks like a mix of shmups with third person shooters and I dig the enemy design, reminds me of War of the Worlds.
I could take a wild guess at who laughed and I think it looks amazing as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom