• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Hands-On Preview

Metnut

Pretty awesome that Sony is already releasing next-gen exclusive games. I just finished up Demon’s Souls and Ghost of Tsushima and now I have something new to dive into already.

Really pumped for this game and grateful I was able to snag a PS5. Hopefully this keeps me just until the new FF7R exclusive next gen exclusive PS5 content comes out this summer.

Looks like the kind of game would be perfect for gamepass, even with 23 studios , still have not seen anything on gamepass thats going make me subscribe to gamepass, they need these kind exclusives. Sony dunp ur ps now, and get a service out there that focuses on local gaming not streaming junk.

HotPocket69

Banned
Looks like the kind of game would be perfect for gamepass, even with 23 studios , still have not seen anything on gamepass thats going make me subscribe to gamepass, they need these kind exclusives. Sony dunp ur ps now, and get a service out there that focuses on local gaming not streaming junk.

Need more of these posts 😂😂😂

GamePass 😂😂😂

elco

The more I see and learn about this game, the more it grabs my interest. To me, it looks like it is shaping up to be a dark sci fi action thriller with some sort of "souls" experience.

I have never played a Housemarque game, but I find it "interesting" that some people want to deny these developers the possibility to produce anything more than an Indie game.
Agreed. I've been intrigued since it was announced, and only grown more so. That said, I rarely pay full price for a game anymore. I pick up more than I used to, just during sales. This game releasing at $70 is a deal breaker for me. Also, it's single player, so there's not much of a community to miss out on. I'll pick it up when the price makes sense, but it looks sick.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This game Will totally be worth the $90 I paid for the DD. Only a few more days!!

Man, I might preorder it earlier than I thought, although already planning to preorder it before release. Graphics are below average but for such gameplay and particles it seems understandable. It would've looked better on Decima instead and less taxing than UE4, I guess.

Sony needs Housemarque in their studios for these unique games.

Skyfox

Housemarque community employee confirmed to me that the game does not have misandry.

I've preordered it. Pricey game all the same. Looking forward to end of month.

ToadMan

Housemarque community employee confirmed to me that the game does not have misandry.

I've preordered it. Pricey game all the same. Looking forward to end of month.

I’d hope not! That would be grounds for prosecution in Europe these days - hate speech and prejudice are prohibited.

Although I’d personally say toughen up and be a man about it buttercup... 🤪

Three

Would this game really be considered 'next-gen' to the fans here? Just because it's a PS exclusive? Because tbh, it doesn't look like anything we've not seen before.
I'd imagine that a big studio with a big budget could pull something like this off on a PS4 but smaller studios probably couldn't. It has a lot of particle and physics effects too. The good thing about new more powerful hardware and going exclusive is that it makes it easier for smaller studios to make good looking games that rival the big budget past gen ones in graphics/tech.

Jaysen

Banned
Guess why.
Because up to this point the most their games have cost is about 20 dollars, so some of us are waiting to see if they pulled off not just a full priced title, but a fucking 70 dollar title. Not blindly pre-ordering before seeing impressions/reviews is the smartest move here.

Concern

Because up to this point the most their games have cost is about 20 dollars, so some of us are waiting to see if they pulled off not just a full priced title, but a fucking 70 dollar title. Not blindly pre-ordering before seeing impressions/reviews is the smartest move here.

Just imagine Moon studios (Ori) doing a $70 game and Microsoft being the only available hands on impressions just a couple weeks from launch. The fanboys would have a field day with that.

But you know fanboys and double standards go hand in hand with each other.

Three

Not enough cutscenes?
😄 Maybe.
Xbox people conditioned to not buy games anymore, $10 hike in price of games, and they think this is 'indie' so shouldn't even be $40.

I mean I don't preorder games but buy games on sale but I don't see why this should be different to other games unless it's known to lack content or quality.

SLB1904

Banned
Just imagine Moon studios (Ori) doing a $70 game and Microsoft being the only available hands on impressions just a couple weeks from launch. The fanboys would have a field day with that.

dont you ever get tired to act like a victim. did you ever stop to think no one gives a shit about moon studios.

Three

Or imagine MS publishing Ori on a competitors platform lets say for example Nintendo or what if say Doom Eternal and Wolfenstien are on PSNow. Or imagine if Deathloop launches on the PS5 but not Xbox. Holy shit people would ask for Phil's head on a platter or ask him to commit seppuku for such a dishonor to the MS brand.

I do find the lack of reviews for this game disconcerting as much as you do but you really need to drop the persecution complex and bringing up fanboy war comparisons.

engstra

Or imagine MS publishing Ori on a competitors platform lets say for example Nintendo or what if say Doom Eternal and Wolfenstien are on PSNow. Or imagine if Deathloop launches on the PS5 but not Xbox. Holy shit people would ask for Phil's head on a platter or ask him to commit seppuku for such a dishonor to the MS brand.

I do find the lack of reviews for this game disconcerting as much as you do but you really need to drop the persecution complex and bringing up fanboy war comparisons.
Lack of reviews? The game's not out for a couple weeks

Bramble

Lack of reviews? The game's not out for a couple weeks

Reviews, previews, whatever. I like what I'm seeing more with each trailer, but right now I have more faith in pre-ordering RE8 than this. This game needs to be an extremely addictive masterpiece for me to justify the price. I am intrigued though.

sublimit

Banned
Lol are some "concerned" people here seriously believe that there will be no other previews besides the official one? Do they also believe that there will be no reviews as well?:messenger_grinning_smiling: Sometimes i really wonder if some people here pretend to be stupid or really are lol. The game is still 2 weeks away from release FFS.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Problem is, at £70, we're paying for that risk.

If people are asking publishers to take risks, then they should be ready to support those decisions, right?

Of course you can wait for the reviews or discounts.

Done my part.

returnal-preorder.jpg

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
If people are asking publishers to take risks, then they should be ready to support those decisions, right?

Of course you can wait for the reviews or discounts.
Fair enough.
Still, games like GoW or Horizon had 2,5+ times more people working longer on them than this 70$ one. And we`re not talking about inflation worthy timespans that have passed since then.....

That just doesn`t feel right.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fair enough.
Still, a game like GoW or Horizon had 2,5+ times more people working longer on their 60$ games than this one on their 70$ game. And we`re not talking about inflation worthy timespans since then.....

That just doesn`t feel right.

Just watch Nintendo making more profit with $12B vs $25.5B with many recycled games and bare-minimum efforts sold at full price of $60 and they simply don't get discounts. GOW was so successful that it's been offered for free with PS Plus Collection in just 2 years.

Not every game gonna be that successful. Games that cost more than $100M or even approaching $200M and sold for $60 just like a game that costs $50M or less is just unfair, yet no one complains about yearly COD, FIFA, etc.

It's only a problem with Euro as it seems, 80 Euros is just too much. What should be done is scale the game according to how much value it deserves. Destruction Allstars was first offered for $70 then Sony seems expected the disaster and put it for 2 months on PS Plus then now for $20 which is fair.

Godfall? Should not pass $60. Returnal? I think it deserves $60, but making it PS5-only makes it bleed so much potential money already, but when they hit a comfortable ROI they'll definitely start pricing it down, probably faster than others. Demon's Souls didn't get any discount because it deserves every penny for those who love this genre, top quality production.

Hunnybun

Well I don't think it's so much about wanting prices to rise but seeing as games have more or less cost the same throughout my lifetime, it doesn't really make sense. As games have gotten bigger and development costs have increased, they have to basically be the best-selling game ever or they simply won't be profitable. So it's more about paying a fair price for a game, otherwise we will just see all studios playing it safe and just recycle existing ideas and franchises rather than create new and unique experiences.

Dunno about you but I'll probably just pay Microsoft's "unfair" price for Game Pass rather than Sony's "fair" price for a AA game like Returnal.

As for what a "fair" price even is: games may well cost the same as they ever did, in real terms, but that's not the only consideration. There are also far more people BUYING games now, so the total market is much bigger. The cost of sale has always been low, but now it's almost zero.

There are all kinds of reasons to think that Sony simply won't be able to get away with charging £70 in this climate.

nbkicker

I just cant un see ellen when i seen the main character, if they had a better main character model or left the visor closed so u never seen the face id maybe ok, but not paying a load of money to play a gran in space, although think this isnt getting the preorders sony would like, as everywhere i seem to look playstation brand is pushing this game like mad, or maybe cause it only game sony itself has to put out in first half of 2021

OrionNebula

I just cant un see ellen when i seen the main character, if they had a better main character model or left the visor closed so u never seen the face id maybe ok, but not paying a load of money to play a gran in space, although think this isnt getting the preorders sony would like, as everywhere i seem to look playstation brand is pushing this game like mad, or maybe cause it only game sony itself has to put out in first half of 2021
I never sent my granny is space, but I can assure you she wouldn’t move anything like Selena if I did

Ogbert

Just watch Nintendo making more profit with $12B vs $25.5B with many recycled games and bare-minimum efforts sold at full price of $60 and they simply don't get discounts. GOW was so successful that it's been offered for free with PS Plus Collection in just 2 years.

Not every game gonna be that successful. Games that cost more than $100M or even approaching $200M and sold for $60 just like a game that costs $50M or less is just unfair, yet no one complains about yearly COD, FIFA, etc.

It's only a problem with Euro as it seems, 80 Euros is just too much. What should be done is scale the game according to how much value it deserves. Destruction Allstars was first offered for $70 then Sony seems expected the disaster and put it for 2 months on PS Plus then now for $20 which is fair.

Godfall? Should not pass $60. Returnal? I think it deserves $60, but making it PS5-only makes it bleed so much potential money already, but when they hit a comfortable ROI they'll definitely start pricing it down, probably faster than others. Demon's Souls didn't get any discount because it deserves every penny for those who love this genre, top quality production.
Well, as annoying as it is, Nintendo get away with it because their IPs are the absolute standard bearers for the casual or ‘popular’ video game market.

Top Bottom