• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Hands-On Preview

Duchess

Honestly, I was hoping that £69.99 for games would be a short term thing; a price point that would last for only about 6 months before games returned to £50-£55. Nope.

Right now, Demon's Souls and Miles Morales are out of stock on Amazon UK (have been for some time), so I suppose people are okay with £70..?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Honestly, I was hoping that £69.99 for games would be a short term thing; a price point that would last for only about 6 months before games returned to £50-£55. Nope.

Right now, Demon's Souls and Miles Morales are out of stock on Amazon UK (have been for some time), so I suppose people are okay with £70..?
well demon souls and miles morales both were 1st party AAA games, cant say the same for returnal, althought I did preorder it months ago : P

Markio128

I’m not concerned about the price. If the game is great people will buy it. If it isn’t great, few will buy it regardless of the price. Personally, I’m really hankering for a top quality shooter that has lots of replay-ability and nobody can argue that House Marque know what they are doing when it comes to addictive gameplay.

engstra

Well I don't think it's so much about wanting prices to rise but seeing as games have more or less cost the same throughout my lifetime, it doesn't really make sense. As games have gotten bigger and development costs have increased, they have to basically be the best-selling game ever or they simply won't be profitable. So it's more about paying a fair price for a game, otherwise we will just see all studios playing it safe and just recycle existing ideas and franchises rather than create new and unique experiences.

It really is like Dodonpachi or other bullet hell shmup in 3D, on-foot, 3rd-person over-the-shoulder viewpoint. Looks really fun, I hope the game performs well with critics and customers (and sales).

Because it doesn't have a real story and the production value and scale of the game is leagues below what sony's $70 games actually are

I don't think that's a fair assessment. If we keep demanding games have their value judged only by their game length, amount of content or how "epic" (usually filled with tropes and potentially otherwise generic) their stories are, AAA gaming will eventually collapse because production can't keep up with those every-increasing types of expectations while staying manageable for the devs and customers.

AFAIK this game does have some type of story to it, I wouldn't expect them to lay it all out in trailers though and it doesn't need to be a game where the story's the only reason you're driven to play it to be worth the cost. As long as the game mechanics are deep, fun, and varied enough, and there's a reasonable amount in the game to do with them, it aught to find its place and do well.

IMO this game screams for multiplayer content tho, with the way it plays. Some arena-based stuff, it would actually give off some Virtual-On vibes mixed with Dark Souls if they did it right and that'd be really unique for what's currently out there. Vs. and co-op multiplayer content could bring a lot to the table.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
If you can’t afford 10 extra dollars then go mow a neighbors lawn or ask your mommy and daddy for an advance on your allowance.
People said the same thing when Destruction Allstars was going to be sold for 70 dollars. Assuming a game is worth 70 just because Sony lists it at that price is just dumb. And now Destruction Allstars is enjoying an average of less than 10 views a day on Twitch. Imagine how much it would have bombed at 70.

Duchess

otherwise we will just see all studios playing it safe and just recycle existing ideas and franchises rather than create new and unique experiences
This is something that is bothering me and we could see start to happen more and more in the future. The indie scene appears to be coming up with more interesting concepts these days, compared to the big boys.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well I don't think it's so much about wanting prices to rise but seeing as games have more or less cost the same throughout my lifetime, it doesn't really make sense. As games have gotten bigger and development costs have increased, they have to basically be the best-selling game ever or they simply won't be profitable. So it's more about paying a fair price for a game, otherwise we will just see all studios playing it safe and just recycle existing ideas and franchises rather than create new and unique experiences.
Also, the smaller the studio is, the bigger the risk they are taking the higher should be their reward: especially if they do not pack the game full of microtransactions / consumables / loot boxes.

The narrative around the greedy indie that does not like to restrict their game to $29 or so benefits only the EA’s and Activision’s of this world as they squeeze you with the Nth sequel of their giant IP and/or fill your game with gambling like microtransactions mechanics (take FIFA, NBA2K, etc…).

ToadMan

People said the same thing when Destruction Allstars was going to be sold for 70 dollars. Assuming a game is worth 70 just because Sony lists it at that price is just dumb. And now Destruction Allstars is enjoying an average of less than 10 views a day on Twitch. Imagine how much it would have bombed at 70.

Except Sony pulled D:A from the $70 release themselves.

So far they are sticking with the RRP for this so someone somewhere in Sony believes this is worth $70 and D:A wasn’t.

Last edited:
There's a new episode of the HouseCast on the PS5 Dashboard. Episode 4 - The Cycle

The more I see and learn about this game, the more it grabs my interest. To me, it looks like it is shaping up to be a dark sci fi action thriller with some sort of "souls" experience.

I have never played a Housemarque game, but I find it "interesting" that some people want to deny these developers the possibility to produce anything more than an Indie game.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Also, the smaller the studio is, the bigger the risk they are taking the higher should be their reward: especially if they do not pack the game full of microtransactions / consumables / loot boxes.

The narrative around the greedy indie that does not like to restrict their game to $29 or so benefits only the EA’s and Activision’s of this world as they squeeze you with the Nth sequel of their giant IP and/or fill your game with gambling like microtransactions mechanics (take FIFA, NBA2K, etc…).
How true is this statement!

No idea why people are complaining regarding the prices. Sure, people need to adjust but come on, when one sale ends on PS or XBOX store another one begins.

Within a short time frame these new titles will be on sale. Probably patched up. Patience people.

betrayal

Banned
I know many rogue lites or other more "simple" games, which i played longer than many AAA titles. Many people are paying 60-70$ for some games with yearly releases without realizing they're still playing the same game like they did 5 years ago...and that's ok. If you have fun with the game or genre, than it is worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. If Returnal is as good as some other top roguelite games, i would gladly pay even more for it, because i know i'll get back the value in playing time and fun that i expect and have previously paid for with my money.

Last edited:
Oh yeah? Then tell me, is Returnal worth the price?
Since last gen AAA games in Canada went from 60 to 80 (because we adopted the canadian peso as a currency) and now 90$, the indies also went from almost free (5$ to 20$ even less on sales) to 40+ rarely below 20$, even on sales.

What did I do about it? Well, for one I am way more careful with my purchases, and on the PC side I went back to downloading spyware--I mean pirating the games.

ToadMan

yea but demon souls is an existing well known franchise, returnal on the other hand is a new IP : |

Well you know Ghost of Tsushima was a new IP too ....

I’m not gonna say $70 (as the base price for next gen games now) automatically eliminates this game form being worth purchasing and being a new IP is a positive I’d say. Until more people have tried it, it’s just too early to say.

Hope for the best, expect the worst! Hehe.

I'm sorry, if a single other thing in life cost the same as it did in the 1990s we would all be living the sweet fantasy life where inflation never happened. A dozen eggs cost 99cents in 1991. Now they are more than twice that. We pay double for eggs. Eggs, bread, and milk, staples for healthy living, has all doubled. Videogame cost less! It isn't enough. Entitled gamers want real life to bend to their fantasy.

It is funny the same gamers who are endlessly crowing about how smart they are for paying $15 a month to play Skyrim and Fallout 3 are complaining about $70.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I'm sorry, if a single other thing in life cost the same as it did in the 1990s we would all be living the sweet fantasy life where inflation never happened. A dozen eggs cost 99cents in 1991. Now they are more than twice that. We pay double for eggs. Eggs, bread, and milk, staples for healthy living, has all doubled. Videogame cost less! It isn't enough. Entitled gamers want real life to bend to their fantasy.

It is funny the same gamers who are endlessly crowing about how smart they are for paying $15 a month to play Skyrim and Fallout 3 are complaining about $70.

Hey - enjoy your sweet fantasy life then! 👇

https://retrovolve.com/n64-games-were-ridiculously-expensive-when-they-first-came-out/

So I did some research (to be more accurate, I forced Retrovolve’s Mandi to do some research for me) and dug up MSRP (Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price) information for a slew of N64 titles for comparison. These prices come from various issues of GamePro, which listed MSRP prices alongside their game reviews.

Here’s what I found:

Killer Instinct Gold – $79.99 (Source: GamePro #101)

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter – $79.99 (Source: GamePro #103)

Star Fox 64 – $79.95 (Source: GamePro #106)

Multi Racing Championship – $79.95 (Source: GamePro #108)

Turok 2 – $69.99 (Source: GamePro #113)

GoldenEye 007 – $69.95 (Source: GamePro #108)

Tetrisphere – $69.95 (Source: GamePro #108)

Duke Nukem 64 – $69.95 (Source: GamePro #111)

Bomberman 64 – $69.95 (Source: GamePro #111)

Blast Corps – $69.95 (Source: GamePro #104)

Super Mario 64 – $66.99 (Source: GamePro #97)

Wave Race 64 – $64.95 (Source: GamePro #99)

S.C.A.R.S. – $59.95 (Source: GamePro #113)

Skifi28

Gold Member

Games have hardly remained the same price, they've just taken a more roundabout way of doing it. The lure of 60 was kept (until now) while making tons of extra money with preorder bonuses, DLC, season passes, subscriptions, lootboxes, GAAS and other "innovative" ways. Let's also not forget how much % more money digital games make after cutting all the middlemen. These methods of cutting games into tiny little pieces are here to stay with us, while now the base price is also being increased on top of everything. That's adding insult to injury, no?

Last edited:

Keihart

Mate, those games are literally unplayable, even on a cellphone level except by boomers who can't let their childhood days go and move on for better games all around.
Fashion Reaction GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Keihart

This is something that is bothering me and we could see start to happen more and more in the future. The indie scene appears to be coming up with more interesting concepts these days, compared to the big boys.
When was this not the case? The whole point of indies is that you can take risks in ideas and concepts without much care about investment and target audience. There have been some wild stuff in the indie scene since forever.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Games have hardly remained the same price, they've just taken a more roundabout way of doing it. The lure of 60 was kept (until now) while making tons of extra money with preorder bonuses, DLC, season passes, subscriptions, lootboxes, GAAS and other "innovative" ways. Let's also not forget how much % more money digital games make after cutting all the middlemen. These methods of cutting games into tiny little pieces are here to stay with us, while now the base price is also being increased on top of everything. That's adding insult to injury, no?

Yeah this is worth remembering. If they're going to start charging $70 then the content better be there and not an immediate bunch of advertising for mtx. Of course this was the promise in previous times of price hikes and usually it's forgotten pretty quickly.

First/second party efforts are usually better for this though - speaking about Sony I can't remember a time they tried to squeeze a lot of mtx out, if anything they gave quite a lot of value in their $60 games... so let's see what content Returnal has and what comes post launch.

The lure of 60 was kept (until now) while making tons of extra money with preorder bonuses, DLC, season passes, subscriptions, lootboxes, GAAS and other "innovative" ways
Exactly. It is because of entitled gamers bitching that the game is going to cost $70 that the companies said "Ok, then we will sell you 80% of the game for $60 and you will buy the rest for another $40 anyways. See the game is still only $60!"

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Exactly. It is because of entitled gamers bitching that the game is going to cost $70 that the companies said "Ok, then we will sell you 80% of the game for $60 and you will buy the rest for another $40 anyways. See the game is still only $60!"

Yup, I'm confident in Sony delivering the complete version as always.

Last edited:
Seeing this much aggressive empathy in regards to inflationary pressures is really heartening. I'm guessing you're just as passionate about making sure minimum wages, and wage growth stays on par with inflation too.

Or do you only care about speaking up to make sure multi-billion dollar trans-national companies make record profits? Yes, it's the average person that is entitled for daring to speak openly about disliking a price hike for a roguelike from a AA developer.

business-commerce-ceo-shoe_shining-shoes-bootlickers-works-tzun873_low.jpg

Did you even notice that Returnal also has a deluxe edition for $80 with totally minimal DLC added on in ADDITION to the $70 base price?

tenor.gif

• Electropylon Driver weapon
  • Hollowseeker weapon
  • 1 Reflex Stimulant consumable
  • 1 Pulsating Mass artefact
  • 1 Adrenaline Booster
  • Digital soundtrack
  • 2 in-game suits for Selene
1 reflex stimulant consumable! HALF the pack is single use consumable items LOL.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member

"It's your fault corporations try to take advantage of you to get rich" Can't say I agree with the logic. Of course people are bound to resist price hikes, it's human nature. And it's not like there was an organised movement against it back then, marketing just deemed they'd make more money sneakily than just doing a simple price hike so they stuck with it. How is it people's fault exactly?

G-Bus

Banned
Corporations must love you.
Probably not. I buy most stuff second hand. Clothes, cookware, toys for my daughter.

Roguelikes are the only genre of game outside of an MMO that I'll spend 100+ hours of gametime in. Also like the idea of supporting a developer that I like. They make good games I enjoy. When all this comes together paying full price doesn't bother me.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Probably not. I buy most stuff second hand. Clothes, cookware, toys for my daughter.

Roguelikes are the only genre of game outside of an MMO that I'll spend 100+ hours of gametime in. Also like the idea of supporting a developer that I like. They make good games I enjoy. When all this comes together paying full price doesn't bother me.
So if you buy most of your stuff second hand, how can you possibly call other people ‘broke ass bitches’? Just because you are the .1% of people that will get 100 hours plus out of this game? Hilarious.

It’s been said before but no one ever seems to have an answer; for 99% of people posting on an enthusiast forum, the cost is not an issue, it’s a question of value. Any thicko can afford to spend £70 on something, even if you’re on benefits.

Skifi28

Gold Member
It’s been said before but no one ever seems to have an answer; for 99% of people posting on an enthusiast forum, the cost is not an issue, it’s a question of value. Any thicko can afford to spend £70 on something, even if you’re on benefits.
Quoting because it'll be forgotten again in a post or two.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Gonna pay 60e for Returnal, just signed this & ratcher 30 minutes ago with one of my sources.

Total 120e, saving 40e.

Top Bottom