• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Hands-On Preview

drotahorror

chappelle show lol GIF

Sony doing their own hands preview now. Yea definitely no shilling involved

Shocker, man works for company, man likes game from company he works for. SHILL BOI

e&e

Banned
I've avoided trailers and spoilers for this game as I think I might be into it but I have one question that is the clincher for my purchase.

Does it have SJW woke, anti-men shit? Thanks to anyone who knows. If it doesn't I want to support the game and buy it full price cos it looks interesting but I dont need another plate of politics in my escapism.
Is this really what you worry about before buying a game? Is this a serious post? Like REALLY? Or are you just posting this to virtue signal?

Last edited:
No multiplayer, but some online elements. Also has a leaderboard (no PS+ required) with certain challenges, weapons, and only one shot for you to get your name up there.
I'm a little disappointed. I guess Sony won't be producing any major multiplayer titles any time soon? In an online era it would be cool to play games with friends online at the very least. For a game this expensive you'd think some multiplayer would be in order. Oh well it does look cool. Guess we'll see how it reviews.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm a little disappointed. I guess Sony won't be producing any major multiplayer titles any time soon? In an online era it would be cool to play games with friends online at the very least. For a game this expensive you'd think some multiplayer would be in order. Oh well it does look cool. Guess we'll see how it reviews.
I think Sony is finally getting into the multiplayer arena -- albeit slowly and gradually.
  • Destruction All Stars was their first attempt -- although it was bad.
  • London Studios' job posting indicates a multiplayer game (or at least a game with multiplayer elements). Ghost of Tsushima's Legends was a pleasant multiplayer surprise.
  • Ghost of Tsushima 2 job postings indicate a much expansive multiplayer / co-op experience.
  • TLOU2 Faction is turning out to be a massive standalone multiplayer game. Job descriptions indicate a big economy system.
I think there will be a few more attempts. Though I have a hunch that instead of going full multiplayer (like COD, Battlefield, Rocket League), Sony is going after the co-op space and trying to make its own. I also think Spider-Man can perfectly replicate Ghost of Tsushima's Legends format and make an open-world (semi-open-world) Spider-Man co-op experience with Peter, Miles, Black Cat, etc.

ANIMAL1975

chappelle show lol GIF

Sony doing their own hands preview now. Yea definitely no shilling involved

Nice, I only want impressions from the people trying to sell the game.... No more trust worthy source if you ask me.
It's call marketing?... game is releasing in the end of the month, there's plenty of time to independent outlets do previews, then you guys can war that are payd previews.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I already preordered this 1-2 months ago, please dont disappoint me housemarque

I am cautiously optimistic as Housemarque has never disappointed me (SSHD and Resogun) and this is their first non micro transactions laden single player roguelike at a AAA level on a next generation console taking advantage of its HW. So I preordered it today, waited a bit but wanted to pull the trigger ahead of launch to support the devs.

Considering the scale of the game and the risk the developer is taking to staff up and expand the scope and polish of their game without a big established IP (new IP) and without predatory loot boxes/micro transactions I think the price tag is not above and beyond what this game might deserve (after playing it I might be of a different opinion we will see :)). A big publisher with a famous IP and with microtransaction takes a far far smaller risk than Housemarque is taking now.

Small Developer staffing up + new IP + AAA production quality/scope + No Predatory micro transactions —> how can we expect this to be restricted to $39-49 or less?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I am cautiously optimistic as Housemarque has never disappointed me (SSHD and Resogun) and this is their first non micro transactions laden single player roguelike at a AAA level on a next generation console taking advantage of its HW. So I preordered it today, waited a bit but wanted to pull the trigger ahead of launch to support the devs.

Considering the scale of the game and the risk the developer is taking to staff up and expand the scope and polish of their game without a big established IP (new IP) and without predatory loot boxes/micro transactions I think the price tag is not above and beyond what this game might deserve (after playing it I might be of a different opinion we will see :)). A big publisher with a famous IP and with microtransaction takes a far far smaller risk than Housemarque is taking now.

Small Developer staffing up + new IP + AAA production quality/scope + No Predatory micro transactions —> how can we expect this to be restricted to $39-49 or less?
I really want to support the devs, but $70 is just a bit too much for me -- someone who lives in a third-world country. I think I'll be a lot more "patient" this gen. Will likely only buy a game day one if it's God of War Ragnarok or whatever Naughty Dog releases in the future.

But I really, really hope that Returnal turns out to be a massive success for Returnal. They absolutely deserve it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I love people talking about scope etc. when we don't even know if this game even has 1\10 of the contents of some roguelites on pc...

Ah yes, good graphic automatically mean big scope and a shitload of contents, i always forget that...

Ogbert

May I ask why you think it's not worth £70? Or are you saying £70 is too much for any game? If its the latter I agree.
People will spend that sort of money on top tier AAA that they will be playing for months, if not years. So CoD, GTA etc.

This is a rogue lite with a nice lick of paint. Housemarque develop arcade games. I’m not sure how the price will be justified, but hopefully it is.

Arkam

This game has gone from barely on my radar to a planned purchase... due to these salty posts on price. Made me look into the game more and more to see if there was merit to the complaints. Will probably wait for reviews to make my final decision, but right now it looks like a buy. Thanks everyone!

These frantic gifs, especially the last one with the boss casting an earth shattering laser (sweet memories from Darkeater Midir:messenger_blowing_kiss: after I finally defeated him) , make me really eager to tryout the gameplay.

I am going to wait for the reviews though as I don't pre order anything anymore since the Cyberpunk 2077 fiasco (ie: removed features).

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I love people talking about scope etc. when we don't even know if this game even has 1\10 of the contents of some roguelites on pc...

Ah yes, good graphic automatically mean big scope and a shitload of contents, i always forget that...
It's no better than the people who are saying it isn't worth the price, based on a few trailers

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's no better than the people who are saying it isn't worth the price, based on a few trailers
Sure, they are both bad, althought with experience, every gamer develop a gut feeling when something is wrong with a game (accordingly to our tastes of course) and a couple of trailers are enough to decide if a game is worth buying, not saying that the gut feeling is always right, but still...

Also if i'm not wrong, people named a couple of reasons beyond what you can see in the trailers like previous experiences of the team or the fact that the genre itself was always in that 10-25 dollars price ratio or the fact that 70 dollars are a lot for any game etc.

I exposed my reasons in the post you quoted and in other previous post in different returnal topics but people seems to ignore me for some reasons, my guess is that they don't really have a counter argument to the fact that having a decent graphics means jack shit to justify that price tag in a genre where number of contents is more important than everything else and nobody in here knows if the game actually has 2 to 4x times the number of contents of something like isaac or dead cells or or risk of rain etc.

I will even argue that in the roguelite genre, number of contents is even more important than the gameplay itself, and that's why many roguelite lovers still consider isaac the best roguelite ever even if the raw gameplay is nothing special compared to stuff like hades or dead cells.

the game doesn't even have a nextgen enough graphic to justify his price just for that alone like a tlou3 or horizon 2, and until i discover how many contents tha game has, i'm not gonna buy at full price unless the hype for a new shiny ps5 title doesn't fuck me over (it happened in the past, i'm an easy to hype bitch).

And no, having an actual good protagonist or an actual story or good VA is not a 70 dollars selling point in a universe where you can buy hades for 15-20 dollars or less (i bet my ass that hades is gonna end having a better VA, writing and music and more lines of dialogues than returnal, just an hunch of mine)

p.s. don't get me wrong, i like most of the things i saw in the various trailers, i don't hate the game and i don't have a definitive opinion about his price ratio.

Last edited:

elco

Is this really what you worry about before buying a game? Is this a serious post? Like REALLY? Or are you just posting this to virtue signal?

Absolutely. I wish I knew how hard TLoU2 went into politics. I couldn't finish that game. He isn't asking them to push his agenda. He's asking that they don't push an agenda at all. It's attitudes like yours that empower this stuff.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not sure about what you are saying, but this game has nothing to do with the souls genre lmao.

It's a bullet hell\roguelite.

I know it has nothing to do with Souls games, maybe you didn't get it. I said it'll be a new semi-genre, so yes I don't believe it has anything to do with Souls games but a new hardcore genre.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I know it has nothing to do with Souls games, maybe you didn't get it. I said it'll be a new semi-genre, so yes I don't believe it has anything to do with Souls games but a new hardcore genre.
I still don't understand what you mean with new semi-genre or new hardcore genre...

You know that bullet hell roguelite are not a new thing right? We already have gungeon, abyss and many more, even being 3d is not a novelty when risk of rain 2 exist.

Gandih42

Probably not going to pick this up any time soon after it launches (aside from the fact I don't own a PS5), but some of the gameplay and monster designs look real slick in that State of Play trailer.

As for the discussion of the 70$ price tag, my personal feeling based on trailers alone is that it seems a bit high. But I completely agree with the sentiment that it's not really possible to judge that before the game comes out. Sure, generally speaking full priced games (60$-70$) generally come with AAA graphics, which I don't exactly feel like this game has. But gameplay, content and performance should be more important, in my opinion. So if the game excels in those, I think full price would be justified (that being said, I do find the push to standardize 70$ is ridiculous).

Considering the amount of time I (and many others) have spent enjoying games like Gungeon or Binding of Isaac, it's kind of funny how we still expect those kinds of games to be really cheap. Is 200 hours of Gungeon worth less than 100 hours of Ass Creed Odyssey?. If one were to graph hours of content vs. price for videogames, you'd get a real fucked up graph. That's a whole other discussion though, and probably very complicated too.

Last edited:

SCB3

I'm going to wait for reviews and I'll be honest I hope I'm wrong.

This is very much a aa to indie title, it so far is not going to be worth that 70 price point from what I've seen

Winter John

I noticed at the start of every gen a bunch of chancers will come crawling out with a bunch of nonsense that they'll try to sell at an over inflated price. This is a good example. I figured the game would be $30 at most, but $70? For that?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's call marketing?... game is releasing in the end of the month, there's plenty of time to independent outlets do previews, then you guys can war that are payd previews.

Many Xboxers seem to be piling up here and concerned instead of being concerned about the meme generator Halo Infinite, their very first 1st party game that might even get pushed to 2022.

Last edited:
Top Bottom