• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuben Langdon "praying" that the next Itsuno project is DMC5

MBS

Banned
This is the exact tweet from a few hours back when he replied to a fan's question:

Untitled.png

So, if he's not trolling us altogether and if he genuinely doesn't know what the next Itsuno project is, does it mean that he's possibly not involved with DMC5 at all? If that's the case, that leaves us with a huge question on who's going to mocap and VA Dante after all these years of Reuben's work. Me personally, i'd really want to see him back in the series. Maybe that Nils Hognestad resume leak was genuine after all.

Stygr

Banned
I really want to see a new DMC, we don't have pure action games on the market, Ninja Gaiden is dead, Bayonetta god know where the fuck is SEGA's doing with the brand and we don't know what PG is doing atm.

entremet

Dmc4 was a big seller so the DmC pivot was rather strange. Has any game company made more boneheaded decisions in the past 5 years than Capcom?

AAK

Would definitely prefer a new IP.

Platinum games cure my character action itch fine and I'd rather see an Itsuno directed game that isn't a continuation of projects pioneered by Capcom talent no longer in the company.

But it's likely Reuben Langdon is pulling a David Jaffe troll.

Narroo

Dmc4 was a big seller so the DmC pivot was rather strange. Has any game company made more boneheaded decisions in the past 5 years than Capcom?

But not big enough!

Actuall, my understanding is that DMC4 went through development hell and merely broke even.

Eitherway, Capcom at the time really wanted COD, Halo, and Guitar Hero numbers. They wanted 'the western market' so they outsourced to western developers and the executives basically sat around saying 'make the game more western!' the whole time.

Really, there was a DmC:SE thread a few years back where some of the developers chimed in and that's what happened: Every time Ninja Theory came up with an idea Capcom told them it was too Japanese or similar to the original series, and would just tell them: "Make it more Western!"

You know, the relative unpopularity of DMC beforehand could be blamed on management decisions. The difficulty fiasco of DMC3, DMC4 being basically unfinished, and the entire existence of DMC2 were all massive issues that could turn people off the franchise, and were more management issues than developer issues.

Jawmuncher

Still curious how they'll handle DMC4 to DmC to DMC5.
Can't think of too many IPs that go right back to the original after a failed reboot.
I guess they can just play it off as a "spin-off". But IMO I find it odd to just pretend it doesn't exist. Especially when the game is available on this gen of systems and wasn't a critical flop like say DMC2 which has prevented the series form advancing forward from a lore standpoint.

Almost feel like they should just remake DMC3 again and start fresh from there.

MBS

Banned
But not big enough!

Actuall, my understanding is that DMC4 went through development hell and merely broke even.

Eitherway, Capcom at the time really wanted COD, Halo, and Guitar Hero numbers. They wanted 'the western market' so they outsourced to western developers and the executives basically sat around saying 'make the game more western!' the whole time.

Really, there was a DmC:SE thread a few years back where some of the developers chimed in and that's what happened: Every time Ninja Theory came up with an idea Capcom told them it was too Japanese or similar to the original series, and would just tell them: "Make it more Western!"

You know, the relative unpopularity of DMC beforehand could be blamed on management decisions. The difficulty fiasco of DMC3, DMC4 being basically unfinished, and the entire existence of DMC2 were all massive issues that could turn people off the franchise, and were more management issues than developer issues.

It was Inafune's decision to outsource many major IP's and that proved to be catastrophic for the company as they fired him a few months after that. DMC4 wasn't in dev hell. It was released 3 years after DMC3 and is -as of today-, the best selling entry in the franchise. They tried to grab a global audience with DmC but they failed.

Still curious how they'll handle DMC4 to DmC to DMC5.
Can't think of too many IPs that go right back to the original after a failed reboot.
I guess they can just play it off as a "spin-off". But IMO I find it odd to just pretend it doesn't exist. Especially when the game is available on this gen of systems and wasn't a critical flop like say DMC2 which has prevented the series form advancing forward from a lore standpoint.

Almost feel like they should just remake DMC3 again and start fresh from there.

DmC's lore is not even canon to the rest of the games. So they don't have any reason to build upon or acknowledge any parts of it's story for future titles, as it is actually the 'spin-off" of the series.

Jawmuncher

It was Inafune's decision to outsource many major IP's and that proved to be catastrophic for the company as they fired him a few months after that. DMC4 wasn't in dev hell. It was released 3 years after DMC3 and is -as of today-, the best selling entry in the franchise. They tried to grab a global audience with DmC but they failed.

DmC's lore is not even canon to the rest of the games. So they don't have any reason to build upon or acknowledge any parts of it's story for future titles, as it is actually the 'spin-off" of the series.

It's still the second best selling title in the series and the last major release.
DMC4SE might've made capcom profits. But it didn't even pass a million.

Gbraga

He was saying the other day that Itsuno was upset that the Marvel Infinite team didn't consult with him about Dante. Maybe they're just good friends and stay in touch all the time, but it's also possible that they're working closely on something.

Sesha

As if he doesn't already know.

But not big enough!

That's not the case.

NT were gonna make DmC more similar in style to the originals but Capcom told NT to go in a more radical direction.
Besides that, Capcom was worried that certain features would scare away new players, hence why they vetoed stuff like manual lock-on.

"Make it more Western" wasn't really the crux of what happened.

DMC was never unpopular. That's revisionism. DMC2, 3 and 4 were all positively received, and the series was always successful. On average it's Capcom's best selling franchise after Monster Hunter.

Ive already accepted that DMC got Mega Man'd.

That doesn't make much sense.

Sesha

Would definitely prefer a new IP.

Platinum games cure my character action itch fine and I'd rather see an Itsuno directed game that isn't a continuation of projects pioneered by Capcom talent no longer in the company.

But it's likely Reuben Langdon is pulling a David Jaffe troll.

They don't cure mine.

Itsuno pioneered DMC as much as Kamiya. DMC is his now, and he wants to work on it as much as anything else he's been in charge of, if not more.

DMC fans just need to accept the L

Why should we? What's so impossible about DMC? I'll wait.

IvorB

I really want to see a new DMC, we don't have pure action games on the market, Ninja Gaiden is dead, Bayonetta god know where the fuck is SEGA's doing with the brand and we don't know what PG is doing atm.

Ninja Gaiden isn't dead. Pretty sure I read an interview with the Team Ninja guys where they talked about the timing for a new entry.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hope Capcom takes the Monster Hunter World approach to a DMC5 in terms of improving every aspect of the series while really giving it the budget and attention that such a marque series deserves.

Either he's playing coy and DMC5 is on track for a PSX reveal, or he hasn't been contacted and Capcpom is RE7 Chris-ing Dante with a new face and new voice actor, and DMC5 is still on track for a PSX reveal.

Yes, those are the only two possibilities.

Sesha

I hope Capcom takes the Monster Hunter World approach to a DMC5 in terms of improving every aspect of the series while really giving it the budget and attention that such a marque series deserves.

The campaign structure could really use a shake-up. DmC had some good ideas like making enhancing (re)playability by giving (most) bosses dedicated missions and making save/quit/continue more convenient, but it didn't change the campaign when it should've (imo).

It's done. REJOICE! That the world was spared more uncle dante.

You wish.

HeatBoost

I'll be honest, at this point I've given up on Capcom. The diminished returns since the beginning of this generation have just made me doubt their ability to deliver, full stop.

They really seem to have the ability to really bring it home on one full blown title at a time now (if that), and I'm pretty sure that after Resident Evil 7 the next one is Monster Hunter World. And then after that it'll probably be time for Resident Evil again. And RE and MH are not franchises I care about. Everything else is left to splatter on the floor, with the exception of Ace Attorney games; those just won't get localized.

They can probably turn it around at some point, I know I've written them off before only to be won back over, but I'm feeling pretty dubious about them as a software maker at this point

BadWolf

DmC2 is officially ruled out folks. It's either internal or nothing.

Itsuno is already confirmed to be working on a new game and said that it will be revealed this year.

The chances of it being anything other than DMC5 are pretty low, especially since they started production right after the completion and success of DMC4SE.

A shame that DMC5 starring Nero as the return protagonist isn't going to have Uncle Dante but I trust in Itsuno-san to deliver a fast-paced and fun DMC game regardless.

It's very sad that DMC5 is a game I've been waiting for for the past nine years and for a long period of that time frame was once desperate for, but now less so because just about everything Capcom puts out nowadays is a monkey's paw. I guess I'll just have to have faith that Itsuno will make a game that's really fun again even if there are some really weird decisions in it.

Top Bottom