• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: In call with Putin, Trump denounced Obama-era nuclear arms treaty

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

In his first call as president with Russian leader Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump denounced a treaty that caps U.S. and Russian deployment of nuclear warheads as a bad deal for the United States, according to two U.S. officials and one former U.S. official with knowledge of the call.

When Putin raised the possibility of extending the 2010 treaty, known as New START, Trump paused to ask his aides in an aside what the treaty was, these sources said.

Trump then told Putin the treaty was one of several bad deals negotiated by the Obama administration, saying that New START favored Russia. Trump also talked about his own popularity, the sources said.

The White House declined to comment. It referred Reuters to the official White House account issued after the Jan. 28 call, which did not mention the discussion about New START.
New START gives both countries until February 2018 to reduce their deployed strategic nuclear warheads to no more than 1,550, the lowest level in decades. It also limits deployed land- and submarine-based missiles and nuclear-capable bombers.

During a debate in the 2016 presidential election, Trump said Russia had "outsmarted" the United States with the treaty, which he called "START-Up." He asserted incorrectly then that it had allowed Russia to continue to produce nuclear warheads while the United States could not.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said he supported the treaty during his Senate confirmation hearings.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-putin-idUSKBN15O2A5

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
When Putin raised the possibility of extending the 2010 treaty, known as New START, Trump paused to ask his aides in an aside what the treaty was, these sources said.

Obviously, not surprising, but still... for fuck's sake man.

CoolOff

This fucking guy lol

Can you imagine being a fly on the wall for most diplomatic exchanges between countries that aren't the US right now?

"Did you talk to him?"
"Yeah, he called my mother a whore and my father a cuck."
"Ah, well, in our call he demanded that Australia pay back all the Australian Dollars we have, because 'dollars are American'..."

He literally heard the word Obama and just went "That was a bad deal".

A little surprised that he stood up to daddy though. Trying to look cool in front of friends.

He heard "Obama" and started blowing hot air, like he always does. It's just towing that line of "Obama did nothing but bad, trash it all and burn it down because CAMPAIGN PROMISES.*"

*ego

Trump also talked about his own popularity, the sources said.

r7H9Ilu.gif

Exile20

Any any other country I would be scared when I hear Trump talking about growing his nuclear arms. The whole world is on notice.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

We are fucked.

Tovarisc

Even Putin must be shook now, holy shit.

If person like Putin is in favor of extending the deal, and maybe even making it so that they have to scale down amount of warheads even more, you really shouldn't look that gift horse into the mouth.

I imagine Putin is fucking confused right about now about what is Trump's endgame here.

Ithil

Someone should finally just ask him what the Iran deal actually was, the details and why it was "a bad deal" as he keeps claiming but never elaborating.

Pomerlaw

If person like Putin is in favor of extending the deal, and maybe even making it so that they have to scale down amount of warheads even more, you really shouldn't look that gift horse into the mouth.

I imagine Putin is fucking confused right about now about what is Trump's endgame here.

I'm sure Putin would like to bring down the arsenals, especially those old nukes : they cost a fortune. Putin may be a dictator, but he's not stupid.

Trump is BOTH a wannabe dictator, and stupid.

We are fucked.

When a president doesn't take into consideration that this is control and reduction of nuclear arms between the worlds largest nuclear powers (possibly, and correct me if I'm wrong), then we're certainly at a higher risk then before.

Lautaro

He's maybe thinking "WTF, Donald, I'm throwing you a bone, just take it!"

sangreal

Trump then told Putin the treaty was one of several bad deals negotiated by the Obama administration, saying that New START favored Russia. Trump also talked about his own popularity, the sources said.

darscot

This seems like a play for the masses or a prearranged deal. Trump saying that was a bad deal for the US, I want a new deal that favors the US and in exchange we will lift sanctions. Seems very transparent.

Amalthea

Banned
Yes Mr. Foreign President, it was very bad of us getting you to reduce your stockpiling of doomsday weapons made specifically for threatening our nation. I will allow you to stockpile more doomsday weapons to threaten us again because that's how it should be!

Please get this guy away from control Americans!

KHarvey16

This seems like a play for the masses or a prearranged deal. Trump saying that was a bad deal for us, I want a new deal that favors us and in exchange we will lift sanctions. Seems very transparent.

I don't think that article describes planning in any sense of the word.

samn

I'm sure Putin would like to bring down the arsenals, especially those old nukes : they cost a fortune. Putin may be a dictator, but he's not stupid.

Trump is BOTH a wannabe dictator, and stupid.

If Putin wants to get rid of his nukes why do we have to sweeten it for him? Bad deal!

jett

D-Member
There is no way he lasts the year as president.

And by that I mean that one of us with last the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom