• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: In call with Putin, Trump denounced Obama-era nuclear arms treaty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biske

This fucking clown.

Doesn't even care how ignorant and clueless he is.

This sucker is going to get played and manhandled every fucking time:

Typically, before a telephone call with a foreign leader, a president receives a written in-depth briefing paper drafted by National Security Council staff after consultations with the relevant agencies, including the State Department, Pentagon and intelligence agencies, two former senior officials said.

Just before the call, the president also usually receives an oral "pre-briefing" from his national security adviser and top subject-matter aide, they said.

Trump did not receive a briefing from Russia experts with the NSC and intelligence agencies before the Putin call, two of the sources said. Reuters was unable to determine if Trump received a briefing from his national security adviser Michael Flynn.

So who is more scary with nukes now between North Korea, Pakistan and the US?

Definitely Pakistan. US may have a loon for a leader but I still think there are enough buffers between him and a nuke launch to not feel quite as threatened.

Thankfully, I dont think a Cuban missile crisis like scenario is possible in the modern day political climate. So you can get by with a leader that is dumber than a box or rocks.

Gattsu25

Banned
For the new page.
He literally heard the word Obama and just went "That was a bad deal".

A little surprised that he stood up to daddy though. Trying to look cool in front of friends.

That is literally why he decided to support #BREXIT.

Listen to Trump, in his own words, admit that he knew nothing about Brexit except that Obama was opposed to it. Finding out that Obama was against it was the sole reason Trump ended up supporting it. According to his own words at least.

Fast forward to 12:30 if the video starts at the beginning.

Beartruck

If person like Putin is in favor of extending the deal, and maybe even making it so that they have to scale down amount of warheads even more, you really shouldn't look that gift horse into the mouth.

I imagine Putin is fucking confused right about now about what is Trump's endgame here.
Well Putin has good reason to scale down. All he wants is him and his oligarch buddies to roll in cash forever. Cant do that if the world's a charred wasteland.

Pomerlaw

This seems like a play for the masses or a prearranged deal. Trump saying that was a bad deal for us, I want a new deal that favors us and in exchange we will lift sanctions. Seems very transparent.

Doing this would be even more stupid. And how the fuck would that be a good deal for the US?

Definitely Pakistan. US may have a loon for a leader but I still think there are enough buffers between him and a nuke launch to not feel quite as threatened.

Thankfully, I dont think a Cuban missile crisis like scenario is possible in the modern day political climate. So you can get by with a leader that is dumber than a box or rocks.

Buffers?

Tovarisc

Well Putin has good reason to scale down. All he wants is him and his oligarch buddies to roll in cash forever. Cant do that if the world's a charred wasteland.

Even if that is his bottom line reason for scaling down nuke amount still you shouldn't turn that gift horse away. Trump shooting extension down like he did is fucking moronic.

Amount of doors between him and nuclear football.

Morat

Banned
Urine big trouble Trump

lol-duck.gif

Trump thinks every deal agreed upon before he reached office was a bad deal because he thinks he is the greatest negotiater. Since he didn't negotiate previous deals, they are bad by default.

allan-bh

I think the interesting question now is how many still would. I'm confident it's smaller, but by how much?

I don't think so since he's doing exactly what he promised, so there's no major reason for a Trump elector be dissatisfied at this point.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Are there really? Expediency of decision is the whole reason the football briefcase exists. It's not like Congress would have enough time to legislate over Trump launching nukes in an incoming missile scenario.

Zophar

Trump thinks every deal agreed upon before he reached office was a bad deal because he thinks he is the greatest negotiater. Since he didn't negotiate previous deals, they are bad by default.

I feel like this is the case - he is just too broadly dismissing ideas his name isn't attached to to suggest a cogent direction of policy. The kneejerk denouncement here, too, says very little other than this.

In the end, Trump will do whatever Russia is interested in and claim it was always his great idea all along.

Are there really? Expediency of decision is the whole reason the football briefcase exists. It's not like Congress would have enough time to legislate over Trump launching nukes in an incoming missile scenario.

IIRC, the football can only be activated in the event of a strike already launched against the US. It can't be used to start shit.

KHarvey16

I don't think so since he's doing exactly what he promised, so there's no major reason for a Trump elector be dissatisfied at this point.

Many claimed to not believe he was going to do exactly what he said and that was why they felt comfortable voting for him. Many of his voters wanted to shake things up and shrugged off problems with the wall and banning Muslims by saying he didn't mean those things literally.

Armaros

Also maintaining a large nuclear arsenal is expensive. C&C, training, maintence, etc.

darscot

Doing this would be even more stupid. And how the fuck would that be a good deal for the US?

Buffers?

It's not a good deal at all, I think Trump and Putin are trying to play this whole nuclear negotiation as an exchange for the sanctions being lifted. It's a total bullshit deal but it will make billions for billionaires. When it's done Trump is going to be, look at this great nuclear deal I made, I played hard ball and redid Obamas bad deal. Meanwhile Russia gets everything it wants and Trump waves a nuclear deal not worth the paper it's printed on.

KMS

Putin thought he was backing Forest Gump who can be manipulated but is now finding out Trump is Simple Jack and is to stupid to even control.

allan-bh

Many claimed to not believe he was going to do exactly what he said and that was why they felt comfortable voting for him. Many of his voters wanted to shake things up and shrugged off problems with the wall and banning Muslims by saying he didn't mean those things literally.

I guess the vast majority of Trump supporters loves the wall and banning imigrations from some muslims countries.

btw, in Europe 55% of the people wants the same thing regarding muslims. It's a popular vision in the west now and understandable due to the fear of terrorism.

KHarvey16

I guess the vast majority of Trump supporters loves the wall and banning imigrations from some muslims countries.

btw, in Europe 55% of the people wants the same thing regarding muslims. It's a popular vision in the west now and understandable due to the fear of terrorism.

I don't know that that is true of the "vast" majority. I believe without hesitation that if the election were repeated today Trump would easily lose. To be fair I think that would be due not only to many people not voting for him who did before but for more people getting out to vote against him who didn't earlier.

His approval ratings are abysmal at this point.

allan-bh

Also maintaining a large nuclear arsenal is expensive. C&C, training, maintence, etc.

Yeah. If Russia want this I think people in America must be distrustful since that clearly Russia doesn't like USA and only thinks about their own interests.

allan-bh

I don't know that that is true of the "vast" majority. I believe without hesitation that if the election were repeated today Trump would easily lose. To be fair I think that would be due not only to many people not voting for him who did before but for more people getting out to vote against him who didn't earlier.

His approval ratings are abysmal at this point.

Depends of the poll, he has more approval in some of them.

But looking at the election I don't think this polls should be taken so seriously.

Depends of the poll, he has more approval in some of them.

But looking at the election I don't think this polls should be taken so seriously.

Nothing was wrong with the election polls. Nothing.

On the national level, they ended up being 100% right about the popularity split. On the state level, they fell exactly within the % margin of error.

KHarvey16

Depends of the pool, he has more approval in some of them.

Polls were fine on average, their interpretations were not. And even if we take the most inaccurate polls and use them to adjust his approval and disapproval number they would still be awful.

SerTapTap

Yet people keep telling me it's fantasy land that trump might launch a nuke.

No one has ever been this obsessed with nukes unless they wanted to use 'em or get rid of them and he clearly doesn't want to get rid of 'em.

Fucking Putin offers you to scale down his nukes. And you refuse?!

This would make the world a safer place and save the American people billions of dollars. God damn it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I don't think that article describes planning in any sense of the word.

Not by Trump. I think he is genuinely clueless and is being used as a pawn.

But I agree with the underlying sentiment. Some sort of concession will be given by Russia which will be touted by Trump as a great win to lower sanctions on Russia as a sign of good will towards our future. Agreement to reduce arsenal will save money for both countries, which gives even more good press for both. That it's similar to what Obama did will impress no one as people don't read the details.

All the while they will say they are tough on Russia per Hailey statements at the UN (which address a portion of the total sanctions anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom