• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Trump says Syrian Christian refugees will be given priority

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT2:
Now CNN

President Donald Trump said in a new interview Friday that persecuted Christians will be given priority over other refugees seeking to enter the United States, saying they have been "horribly treated."

According to a report by the non-partisan Pew Research Center, however, 99% of the nearly 12,600 Syrians granted refugee status last year were Muslims. Less than 1% were Christian. Syria's population is 87% Muslim and 10% Christian, according to the CIA World Fact Book.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/27/politics/trump-christian-refugees/

EDIT:

ORIGINAL:

President Donald Trump said on Friday that Syrian Christians will be given priority when it comes to applying for refugee status in the United States.

"If you were a Muslim you could come in, but if you were a Christian, it was almost impossible and the reason that was so unfair, everybody was persecuted in all fairness, but they were chopping off the heads of everybody but more so the Christians," Trump said in an excerpt of an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network.

Pew Research Center said last October 38,901 Muslim refugees entered the United States in fiscal year 2016 from all countries - almost the same number of Christian refugees, 37,521.

Trump was expected to sign an executive order on Friday that would temporarily halt refugees from some Muslim-majority nations, a White House official said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-syria-christians-idUSKBN15B29M?il=0

BriGuy

I used to complain incessantly about the George W. Bush administration and its shenanigans, but I would trade my left nut to have them back in charge right now. They did some shady, evil shit, but it was at least within the bounds of normal.

Didn't they deny it had nothing to do with religion, but areas of the world where (in their mind) terrorists come from?

Yup:
Kellyanne Conway, President-elect Donald Trump's former campaign manager and newly named White House aide, said Thursday the new administration would not pursue a ban on Muslims solely based on their religion.

Asked repeatedly if an individual's religious affiliation would trigger heightened scrutiny, Conway said, "No."
Instead, Trump will focus more on the country of origin, Conway said.

Link

Ah, yes, the good ol' religious test for permission to enter this increasingly ass-backwards Country.

Remember when people said "oh, stop taking him so literally" though?

Little does he know the xenophobes he's whipped into a frenzy won't be able to tell the difference and will deride them just the same.

Instro

Are the Christian Syrians a group that is more at risk of violence? I guess I could understand the logic of giving priority to people who are more likely to be targeted, although I don't think that is the reasoning here.

Guevara

It's not a ban! It's just that muslim refugees are always in the back of the line.

And the line isn't moving.

And new people can cut the line.

Eyeh4wk

Couldn't they just say they were Christian?
How are you going to prove it?

My guess
z2j61Ha.png

Glix

Are the Christian Syrians a group that is more at risk of violence? I guess I could understand the logic of giving priority to people who are more likely to be targeted, although I don't think that is the reasoning here.

No more then kurds or Druze, thats for sure.

Where's the quote that supports the Reuters title?

Just noticed that also.

I really really don't like Trump, but I'm having to second check a lot of news articles recently.

Still a stupid comment, because I'm pretty sure the previous administration didn't ask people for their religion...

Game-Biz

Supposing this is true....giving priority to Christians to only going to antagonize non-Christians. So, yeah, fuck Trump for the 1000th time.

gaugebozo

They'll be doing the normal extended background checks that they would be anyway, so they can tell of someone isn't really Christian. The bigger issue is, we are doing extended background checks for countries with Muslim populations unless you are a set of approved religions. What incredible bullshit.

Game-Biz

Just noticed that also.

I really really don't like Trump, but I'm having to second check a lot of news articles recently.

Still a stupid comment, because I'm pretty sure the previous administration didn't ask people for their religion...

Well here's this: http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/politic...n-in-america-says-vp-pence-in-historic-speech
I haven't read the transcript yet so I don't know....
When asked by Brody if he. saw helping persecuted Christians abroad as a ”priority," Trump promptly replied, ”yes."
Welp

SURGEdude

I'm opposed to giving any religion or its followers any benefit at all from the state. That includes everything from tax exempt status to immigration.

The only way I could even see priority given is if you can find a way to categorize people by the threat they face in the home nation. But that wouldn't be a religious test either.

As it stands it's obviously just a bigot doing his thing.

Thank you, at least that has a bit more context.

It still doesn't match that headline though because the question itself is fairly pointed:

"When asked by Brody if he saw helping persecuted Christians abroad as a “priority,” Trump promptly replied, “yes.”"

A priority doesn't mean the priority.

Its still shitty, and I'm probably just jumpy because there's a lot of very poor reporting and framing going on everywhere right now.

Edit: and not relating specifically to this, but I think there are some very serious things happening in the US that don't get the appropriate headline coverage because they're not just snippets from a quote etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom