• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Trump says Syrian Christian refugees will be given priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glix

Trumps religious test is for them to explain "two corinthians".

I assume syrian christians are of brown skin?

I wouldn't be surprised if, in his mind, they aren't "real Christians"

I mean, hell, look at how he treats central/south america, skin color supersedes religion for him.

UberTag

I swear Trump doesn't even have an internal decency barometer to understand why the things he says are wrong. It's like all he thinks is... Christians = Good, Muslims = Bad... and rolls with it without even having a fundamental understanding why discriminating against religious freedom is a bad practice regardless of the circumstances.

Can't terrorists just do what he does, pretend to be Christian and then slip right in?

Meanwhile practicing good natured people will refuse to break their faith to come to our country.

The irony would be insane.

I'd assume he means because this is a direct affront by the president of our nation against all Islamic religions. It's disgusting and will only further fuel extremeists negative views of our country, while punishing the rest at the same time.

kmax

Yes, Trump. Stigmatize the muslim community. I'm sure that'll solve all the problems. I mean, it's not like the stigminization of muslims can lead to young, lost souls can fall easy pray to extremism in that way. It's also great that the likes of ISIS aren't masters at producing propaganda which hinges on the poor treatment of muslims. Wouldn't that be bad, right? Playing right into ISIS's hand?

What could possibly go wrong here?

Karamsoul

Shouldn't be a problem. Taqiya got them covered.

I've been a Muslim all my life and have never heard of Taqiya. WTF is that?

If it has anything to do with "Will I eat pork to save my life?", say I'm dying of hunger, then yes, I will. NOT eating it would forfeit my soul and would be the same as committing suicide.

Edit: So I looked it up. Sunni's don't practice that. In fact, I don't think my Shia friends know of it either. Lying is forbidden in Islam. Now PERSONALLY, if my family and I are held at gunpoint knowing we will be shot if we answered a certain way? I think anyone would lie in that case, to protect one's family and self.

Please eat this bacon!

1XfNgbv.gif

Couldn't they just say they were Christian?
How are you going to prove it?
I mean, you could ask them to state the Nicean Creed(Which is fundamentally the basis of all sects of Christianity), but good luck getting that to fly over when 90% of Protestants don't even know it.

It's a mess of stupid proportions.
Didn't they deny it had nothing to do with religion, but areas of the world where (in their mind) terrorists come from?

Yup:

Link
Kelly-Anne is a liar who would tell you that the sky is red if it made Trump's ratings go up.

Well the average Syrian probably knows more about Christianity than mister 'Two Corinthians'.
Don't remind me of that, please. So, so stupid how he convinced people he's a Christian/They somehow don't care.

Glix

I've been a Muslim all my life and have never heard of Taqiya. WTF is that?

If it has anything to do with "Will I eat pork to save my life?", say I'm dying of hunger, then yes, I will. NOT eating it would forfeit my soul and would be the same as committing suicide.

That would seem logical. Us jews have a similar rule where you can break the rules if following them puts you in danger. Like you dont have to fast on Yom Kippur if you are very sick

I mean, you could ask them to state the Nicean Creed(Which is fundamentally the basis of all sects of Christianity), but good luck getting that to fly over when 90% of Protestants don't even know it.

It's a mess of stupid proportions.

Kelly-Anne is a liar who would tell you that the sky is red if it made Trump's ratings go up.

Don't remind me of that, please. So, so stupid how he convinced people he's a Christian/They somehow don't care.

I'm sure many see through it, but using the The Supreme Court to impose their will is more important than his lies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Okay, so the real background on the prioritizing of Syrian Christian refugees stems from the leaked draft of the executive order, which we have yet to officially see.

"to prioritize refugee claims made by individuals on the basis of religious-based persecution, provided that the religion of the individual is a minority religion in the individual's country of nationality"

It's easy to see what that means. The interview with CBN alone, however, doesn't justify the headline Reauters was using.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
isnt there supposed to be a church and state seperation or something?

sangreal

I'm going to take a wild leap and say he is full of shit, but is there any truth to his claim that Christians were being put in the back of the line under Obama? Sounds like something you would read on Breitbart or Infowars

What the fuck...

- He directly refers to Syria and how Muslim refugees have a priority currently (based on nothing), where the share is 92% Muslim to 8% Christian.
- Says that the reason why this is so was "so unfair" and doesn't say what that reason was.
- When asked if helping Christians was a priority he said "Yes".

He is directly talking about prioritizing Christians in areas of majority Muslim populations. Giving Christians a priority in these circumstances would inherently de-prioritize Muslims.

Where's the ambiguity here? This is straight up religious litmus testing.

RPGCrazied

Our own congress doesn't have control on this man. That is so scary that nobody is doing anything. But he does surround himself only with yes men so this isn't surprising. Still though to have every Republican stand behind him is so depressing.

The fuck is he talking about. Muslims in the middle East are the biggest victims of terror.

Of course, that doesn't downplay persecution of Christians and the suffering they are experiencing from ISIS, too, but c'mon.

Yamauchi

Banned
That's good news.

I don't think many Syrian Christians will come here, though. They're working hard to preserve their communities, cultural sites, and traditions inside Syria, despite ethnic cleansing attempts by rebels.

sangreal

Not sure if they asked about religion or did this on purpose, but the last administration seemed to prioritize Muslims over Christians: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...esettled-us-15-over-target-046-are-christians

So, putting aside the site you found this on, if we take it at face value:

Still, calls on the administration to increase the proportion of Christians and other minorities among the Syrian refugees being welcomed into the country have been met by assertions – from the president, among others – that the U.S. will not impose a ”religious test" on applicants.

They were not prioritizing anyone. This article is calling for them to prioritize Christians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom