• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revealing the details on Destiny's competitive multiplayer; health, voice chat, etc

He said that you can have it set so you only talk to people that are playing on a certain platform. So it sounds like you will be playing with people cross-platform. Am I reading into that correctly? Has that been announced?

KoopaTheCasual

I'm trying to take this as a positive.

Come on Bungie, you know split-screen matters, don't you?

Same. Maybe they were deciding on spending resources on it, and saw how people wanted split screen and now trying to work out a situation. At least 2 player split, bungie pls.

So no option to just play multiplayer and only 6 on 6 teams? Pretty disappointed if that is the case. Also any word on destructible environments?

RooMHM

It's not Bungie. It's us. We don't like the old style of shooters any more. We want customisation, perks, kill streaks, abilities, and all this other superfluous shit. It's quite sad, really. People can't play shooters anymore unless every kill gives you a +10, or a new weapon, or a new item, and I think that's sad. Look at how many people play shooters competitively...
Wait, both of you are seriously implying Halo is part of the "old style" of shooters ? Cmon. It s the game that started the plague and death of the genre.

idhindsight

Neo Member
Wait, both of you are seriously implying Halo is part of the "old style" of shooters ? Cmon. It s the game that started the plague and death of the genre.

Have to say I agree. I was super pumped to hear that Killzone:SF had every gun available for every class but unfortunately the MP is sort of slow paced anyway. There's a huge, Quake-sized hole in my heart.

Dinda

hmm, I'm not really interested in this game because i don't like FPS, but i watched that video anyway, and there were a few small segments where you actually are in third person.
So is this something that just happens if you do specific things or will it actually be possible to play in third person?

I mean it would definitely make sense to have a third person view, especially with things like armor customization etc, which i think would otherwise be pretty pointless in an FPS, but i never heard anything about that till now.

I would say Halo 1 and 2 definitely fit into a more "old style" of shooters. After that, nah.

He said that you can have it set so you only talk to people that are playing on a certain platform. So it sounds like you will be playing with people cross-platform. Am I reading into that correctly? Has that been announced?
I dunno. He might have just meant that different platforms offer up different communication options. Hard to tell.

Not much was really shared here. He kept his cards very close to the chest and what he *did* talk about included the caveats about being a work in progress and subject to change and only the beginning, etc.

As a fan of co-op I'm intrigued. Still want to know whether those levels have a direct impact on the ease of grouping with friends who might have a wide variety of levels between them.

im still unsure about how this game will work
will I be able to see like all hundreds of players roaming around in my game world like it was an mmo? or will I only be able to see them if they are part of my fireteam?

hmm, I'm not really interested in this game because i don't like FPS, but i watched that video anyway, and there were a few small segments where you actually are in third person.
So is this something that just happens if you do specific things or will it actually be possible to play in third person?

I mean it would definitely make sense to have a third person view, especially with things like armor customization etc, which i think would otherwise be pretty pointless in an FPS, but i never heard anything about that till now.

powers put you into third person.
but it is a first person game

siddhu33

Halo 1 and 2 were both classic shooters, with the classic "Arena" style multiplayer...I'd argue that CoD 4 probably started the plague.

Halo 1 and 2 were both classic shooters, with the classic "Arena" style multiplayer...I'd argue that CoD 4 probably started the plague.

For sure. I was a pretty good Quake 3 player for awhile. I really enjoyed Halo on the Xbox and Halo 2. The concepts were very similar, though the movement was slower. Arena style maps, spawn with identical load outs and hold areas of the map for power weapons. I'd call that a classic shooter.

Halo 3 was a bit of a downfall due to some weapon balancing issues and the equipment threw a bit too much into the mix IMO. Halo reach, COD 4, etc. was just piss poor.

im still unsure about how this game will work
will I be able to see like all hundreds of players roaming around in my game world like it was an mmo? or will I only be able to see them if they are part of my fireteam?

I have a feeling you'll roam around the map and you''ll run into similar leveled players. It'll be sort of how Defiance does it now. You go to a quest area and there is matchmaking in the background that puts a couple different guys in the same area.

Movement speed was much slower, and kill times much longer than "classic" multiplayer fps games. While I don't agree it started the death of the genre, it wasn't exactly a classic multiplayer fps.

6v6 limit? What? I assumed there would be much bigger games than Halo... not less...
Caught me by surprise too but bigger isn't necessarily better.

Have they ever provided even the broad strokes of the competitive multiplayer? Is it purely six players versus six other players on a closed map?

Or are they messing with the formula far more than we know? Could they be blending in AI components?

I have no idea BTW.

Mdot

Halo fans coming into this expecting anything Halo-like from the multiplayer are going to be massively disappointed I think. Best to keep expectations in check and realize this is gonna be a whole new ballgame for better or worse.

I'm coming to that realization as well and preparing myself accordingly. Would be stupid to think it's just a rehash of Halo and better to accept and enjoy it for what it ends up being.

I think the point from Shinobi's list regarding no dedicated "jump straight to MP" option says enough on its own where competitive MP stands as a priority or focus for Destiny,

The bit about the maps having that classic Bungie feel is great though.

Dirtbag

Competition just seems dead. This sounds relatively cool, but games developers all just seem hell bent on gamers taking their games casually. Everyone got soft.

Omega

Banned
As much as I like Halo CE/2, it started the death of the genre. Two weapon limit, a dedicated button for grenades/melee and regen.

Call of Duty just said fuck it and went all out with shit like perks and killstreaks that find it's way into other games now. Oh, and this instant TTK shit

TheXbox

I think the voice chat thing is dumb. Why not give the option to mute all players outside of your fireteam instead of imposing that restriction on everyone?

Orayn

I think the voice chat thing is dumb. Why not give the option to mute all players outside of your fireteam instead of imposing that restriction on everyone?

Experiments in League of Legends and Dota 2 have provided very strong indications that it's better to restrict people by default and make removing the restriction an option. Turns out that not having immediate access to verbally abusing other players greatly reduces toxic behavior.

siddhu33

Movement speed was much slower, and kill times much longer than "classic" multiplayer fps games. While I don't agree it started the death of the genre, it wasn't exactly a classic multiplayer fps.

The level playing field at the start, along with the incidence of items on the map, rather than on your person are what, to me, makes a classic multiplayer FPS. The movement speed and kill times are directly correlated to the fact that you don't have mouse-level sensitivity with a controller.

Looking at how shooters play now, I'd argue that Halo is pretty much a classic multiplayer FPS. If you only have Unreal/Quake on your list of classic FPS, then I understand your viewpoint.

Halo fans coming into this expecting anything Halo-like from the multiplayer are going to be massively disappointed I think. Best to keep expectations in check and realize this is gonna be a whole new ballgame for better or worse.

If anything, they are going out of their way to make it non-Halo. Makes you wonder about some of the choices they made in Reach...

The footage looks just like Halo.

Except for the ADS.

Honestly, this looks like an unbalanced mess that rewards players who play all the time instead of any even playing field.

Stark

Banned
MP/PvP sounds really nice. I like that you can take your SP character into MP. And hurray for double jump.

Orayn

Except for the ADS.

Unfortunate, but they didn't seem to be completely essential like most games that use them.

Honestly, this looks like an unbalanced mess that rewards players who play all the time instead of any even playing field.

Best case scenario: It takes notes from other MMOs and normalizes players' stats/gear to level the playing field somewhat.

broony

Multiplayer sounds cool but the co-op modes is what interests me.

I don't see how they can balance it to keep old school fans of halo multiplayer happy but I think Bungie will create a fun multiplayer worth playing.

see5harp

For competitive all crazy weapon upgrades and loot should be purely cosmetic. It would still reward people who play all of the time since they'll have some crazy looking goku armor.

Milennia

I like the sound of double jump. Really curious as to how they'll balance Quest items in competitive MP.

Yep and from what they have said , this game includes legendary items to an extent.

Really hope this wont turn into a legendary pve stomp like every wow expansion prior to mop.

(No idea how you obtain them , but if its something reasonable such as completing the game... Sure i wont give a shit, but if its an rng shitfest ya..)

FourMyle

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

• "Definitely feels faster than Halo"
  • You can take out an unaware player really quickly (even with normal weapons)
  • As of now, health and armor, armor bleeds down, then to health (depends on class, Titans slightly harder to kill)

That does not sound very good at all. One of the things that helped Bungie Halo differentiate itself from CoD was the fact that it WASN'T a contest of who saw who first. Movement played a huge role and you could actually get away from a large firefight with some kills and some health left.

Isn't this supposed to be a loot-whoring FPS RPG? If you can only slightly differentiate your characters with loot/stats then what's the point.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
What I got from this 8min video is that Destiny MP will be more like CoD/BF in the sense of squad only voice chat + whoever see's who first will win...

That ticks me off. Why make your MP game cater to the CoD crowd...stick with your roots...you know..Halo...actually take skill in 1v1 engagements...

RoKKeR

There is a lot I actually didn't like this interview. I think Lars is a smart guy and clearly they have a vision for what multiplayer should be in Destiny, but there were a few moments in this interview when I was shaking my head saying "Really? And why not?"

And the response would be "Well your character..."

I know this isn't Halo. I'm trying really hard to forget that Bungie even made Halo and look at Destiny as something new and different that will be great for different reasons. However, when I hear things like no classic mode or limiting voice chat to 3 people in a default public match... it just goes against what made Halo so fantastic on every level.

The playing field in Destiny multiplayer WILL NOT be leveled, there is just no way. It will be incredibly varied and possibly balanced well, but it will not be level. That alone is incredibly unfortunate as it is increasingly rare to have mainstream multiplayer games that are level playing fields - hell, Halo isn't even level anymore, but this is what made Halo 3 and the past Halo games so great competitively. And say I jump into a 6v6 Destiny Team Slayer game by myself... automatically I can't talk to half of my team because they don't want me to run into an asshole? Really? Shorter TTK, great. Because we need more shooters where the action is "rewarding". NO! This was the generation of instant gratification FPS games, where you got a shit ton of points for your spray and pray kill and unlocked a cool new camo 15 billion times in every match. Again, it happened in Halo 4. Bungie, what made Halo so fucking great is that you had to WORK for your kills! And this didn't just mean noobs got shit on, it means that people developed different play styles that were most effective for them. Giving everybody godsend weapons that they find in the single player to use in multiplayer just because it's fun to demolish somebody quickly is simply not a good decision in a competitive multiplayer game.

And the line that "we will have incentives so you won't just be playing competitive multiplayer all of the time." No, no no no. This is not what we want to hear, Lars! We want to hear that we have options. There are people out there who I know that really only played Halo for the competitive multiplayer. Hell, just look at Call of Duty! Not allowing a segment of your audience to JUST play multiplayer and not have to dabble in everything else is simply a bad call and alienates people who just want to play multiplayer.

So we'll see. The single player and cooperative side of Destiny are absolutely sold for me after reading the GameInformer article, and I have no doubt in my mind that it will be a wonderful experience that will consume me for hours on end. But at the end of the day, the competitive multiplayer is what drove me to play Halo 3 for the ~700 hours I did back in the day, and though that will never happen again for any other game, part of me wanted Bungie's next game to bring back some of that competitive multiplayer magic.

So far I'm not convinced it will.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Finally, solid PvP info is trickling out! I'm really curious about the weapon balancing stuff. That could really make or break things.

Shorter kill times SMFH. Hype deflating..
And that's without the super moves and heavy weapons.

They are definitely doing something very different with Destiny.

And the line that "we will have incentives so you won't just be playing competitive multiplayer all of the time." No, no no no. This is not what we want to hear, Lars!
I wonder if that goes both ways in that they'll want to shepherd single player and co-op players towards competitive.

I love how so many people are judging this game for being an online experience. What? I actually have to play in the same world as my fellow gamers? B-but they all suck! I don't want to talk to them!
The problems with a lot of games is *other people*.

Because they don't play for the sport. They play for the XP and for the trophies.

todd360

I love how so many people are judging this game for being an online experience. What? I actually have to play in the same world as my fellow gamers? B-but they all suck! I don't want to talk to them!

Kunan

Not sure how to feel about the going down quick if caught unaware. I'm a big fan of the light tankiness everyone has in the Halo games. I like the feel that a gun being pulled on you is less of a game of whack a mole and more a situation you now find yourself in.

Will wait for further clarification ofc!

Top Bottom