• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revealing the details on Destiny's competitive multiplayer; health, voice chat, etc

aravuus

Halo fans coming into this expecting anything Halo-like from the multiplayer are going to be massively disappointed I think. Best to keep expectations in check and realize this is gonna be a whole new ballgame for better or worse.

I know, I know but goddamn, I just can't help it. I really want another multiplayer game like Halo 3 or Reach.

Though the physics engine was a big part of the mp experience for me, and it seems Destiny has the same kind of everything affects everything stuff going on so I'm hopeful.

blamite

I'm getting less and less excited the more I hear, and that's due as much to what they're not saying as what they are.

Things I don't like:

• no option to go straight to multiplayer. This kind of reminds me of 343's whole "contextualize the universe" thing they had going on in Halo 4. Obviously it's totally different but I kind of just want multiplayer to be multiplayer without some weird in-universe justification.
  • Faster kill times. A slight increase in speed compares to Halo isn't necessarily bad but it sounds dangerously close to COD level speed where you can just be caught off guard and not even have a chance to fight back.
  • No chat with people outside your fireteam. I almost always go into multiplayer games solo, so I guess I'm either going to have to count on constantly having friends online who I can join or being totally cut off from everyone else? This is the exact opposite of what I wanted. Will it be like this in co-op too? If I can't have any communication with the people I run into, they might as well be AI.
  • They keep saying "it feels like a Bungie shooter" and "they feel like Bungie maps." When you're doing something as radically different from your previous work as this, your name can only carry you so far. Give us specifics, we didn't exactly get good results the last time someone said "trust us, it's Halo."
Bungie has a ton to prove and so far they haven't done very much to prove it. We need specifics. So far we have a pretty vague idea of the broad strokes of hat they're going for and not a whole lot more. It's hard to get excited based on that which isn't a great way to start if Bungie wants this series to be as big as they've said.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I like Halo CE/2, it started the death of the genre. Two weapon limit, a dedicated button for grenades/melee and regen.

Call of Duty just said fuck it and went all out with shit like perks and killstreaks that find it's way into other games now. Oh, and this instant TTK shit
Are you somehow drawing Halo into the CODification of the genre? That makes zero sense to me.

Not sure how to feel about the going down quick if caught unaware. I'm a big fan of the light tankiness everyone has in the Halo games. I like the feel that a gun being pulled on you is less of a game of whack a mole and more a situation you now find yourself in.

Will wait for further clarification ofc!
Well put.

GECK

I'm getting less and less excited the more I hear, and that's due as much to what they're not saying as what they are.

Things I don't like:
  • no option to go straight to multiplayer. This kind of reminds me of 343's whole "contextualize the universe" thing they had going on in Halo 4. Obviously it's totally different but I kind of just want multiplayer to be multiplayer without some weird in-universe justification.

• Sorry, but this a silly complaint. Sounds like you'll be able to *do things* on your character while in multi queue, which is nothing short of amazing. Sitting in a boring lobby for 3-5min watching paint dry is archaic and anti-fun.

Bringing up Halo 4 doesn't make any sense either. Destiny is a hybrid, not menu-lobby Halo game made by a shit-tier studio.

blamite

Sorry, but this a silly complaint. Sounds like you'll be able to *do things* on your character while in multi queue, which is nothing short of amazing. Sitting in a boring lobby for 3-5min watching paint dry is archaic and anti-fun.

Bringing up Halo 4 doesn't make any sense either. Destiny is a hybrid, not Halo.

Yeah, I'll admit that's definitely the least of my concerns. I don't mind that the matchmaking takes place in-game instead of on a separate screen with nothing else going on, but I do hope that it's not too annoying to get to. I'm just hoping it's fairly quick to get to wherever competitive multiplayer takes place, and that you won't have to, like, get in your ship, fly to a separate planet, get out, go to some specific location, and then queue up. Ideally it would be something like when you load up the game, you're already in a location from which you can start searching for a game in the minimum number of steps.

The Halo comparison isn't really meant to mean much, just that that game also went in the direction of making the multiplayer integrated into the story in a way that wasn't really very compelling. I'm just thinking that doing something like that just for the sake of it probably isn't worth it. Granted, Destiny is a whole different beast and is going about it in a different way and for different reasons, but it's a connection that jumped to mind pretty quickly.

GECK

Not sure how to feel about the going down quick if caught unaware. I'm a big fan of the light tankiness everyone has in the Halo games. I like the feel that a gun being pulled on you is less of a game of whack a mole and more a situation you now find yourself in.

Will wait for further clarification ofc!

Um, you realize Halo 1-3 had instant kill assassinations, right?

And read the info again. Your character will be wearing GEAR that will obviously have an effect on fast you die and/or kill people. A level of tankiness will obviously be there.

I'm surprised so many people expected Destiny to have crazy Halo-like deathmatch multiplayer, when their main concept at reveal was always a FPS PVE MMORPG with some PVP.

So many clueless gamers are going to be disappointed once this launches and they see Bungie on the box thinking "Halo".

GECK

, but I do hope that it's not too annoying to get to. I'm just hoping it's fairly quick to get to wherever competitive multiplayer takes place, and that you won't have to, like, get in your ship, fly to a separate planet, get out, go to some specific location, and then queue up. Ideally it would be something like when you load up the game, you're already in a location from which you can start searching for a game in the minimum number of steps.

I don't think that is anything to worry about as Bungie already mentioned hoppers being in and any MMO worth their salt, you're 1-2 button presses away from the battleground queue. But that doesn't mean there won't be world pvp in certain contested locations (hopefully there is). Worst case scenario would be hub where everyone chills with stash/vendor etc, but even that would be massive step up from any console shooter ever.

The Halo comparison isn't really meant to mean much, just that that game also went in the direction of making the multiplayer integrated into the story in a way that wasn't really very compelling. I'm just thinking that doing something like that just for the sake of it probably isn't worth it. .

Huh? Halo 4 was same bland lobby experience every other console shooter uses, albeit much uglier.

The whole persistent online world with events aspect of this game is what keeps me interested. Show me some crazy sci-fi shit I've never seen before.

GECK

I'm surprised so many people expected Destiny to have crazy Halo-like deathmatch multiplayer, when their main concept at reveal was always a FPS PVE MMORPG with some PVP.

So many clueless gamers are going to be disappointed once this launches and they see Bungie on the box thinking "Halo".

?

Hope that maps bring out a "oh this is a Bungie map for sure" classic feeling in players
Lots of options possible (turning supers off and other playlists mentioned)
Up to 6 player teams

It's not Bungie. It's us. We don't like the old style of shooters any more. We want customisation, perks, kill streaks, abilities, and all this other superfluous shit. It's quite sad, really. People can't play shooters anymore unless every kill gives you a +10, or a new weapon, or a new item, and I think that's sad. Look at how many people play shooters competitively...

We who? Halo 3 says differently.

Kemal86

Seems like every worthwhile question was met with a "We're not ready to talk about this yet".

Think I might be done with watching/reading coverage on this game until we actually get the nitty gritty details closer to release. Amazed there's still so much about the moment to moment gameplay and the basic mechanics that are still being kept totally under wraps.

Seems like every worthwhile question was met with a "We're not ready to talk about this yet".

Think I might be done with watching/reading coverage on this game until we actually get the nitty gritty details closer to release. Amazed there's still so much about the moment to moment gameplay and the basic mechanics that are still being kept totally under wraps.
Yeah, and I didn't even get a sense of even the broad outlines of the multiplayer except for hammering down the notion that your campaign/co-op player is your same character in the competitive.

Six players to a team, broken into fire-teams. There's verticality and "systems under the hood" to balance all the different loot and abilities and to possibly allow for tweaks to OP weaponry over time.

But besides that I have no idea. Classic arenas and team deathmatch? Or do the fights take place in the larger world? Are there factions at battle? Besides character progression is there any persistence? Any new modes that define Destiny and separate it from the rest of the shooter pack?

I'm not even sure why they do these sit down interviews when they have so very little to share. They didn't even get into the *vision* behind the game, except for, once again, that its one character across all the modes.

H2 BR- 4sk 1.43 second kill time
H3 BR- 4sk 1.53 second kill time

Assassinations - instant

Rockets/Sniper/Shotty - near instant with aim

First of all, those br kill times are if the guy is not moving.

Second of all, you dont spawn with rocket sniper shotty.

FourMyle

H2 BR- 4sk 1.43 second kill time
H3 BR- 4sk 1.53 second kill time

Assassinations - instant

Rockets/Sniper/Shotty - near instant with aim
Every single one of those things you had to work for to pull off and were nowhere near the norm, unless you played a specific game type. Only specific combinations, playlists and situations allowed you to kill someone as fast as any of that. In CoD every weapon in the game will take you out quicker than you can blink.

Which would be the equivalent of 'taking some unaware' as Lars mentioned. And skilled players can optimally 4shot easy while strafing.

Lars also said that the game is "definitely" faster than Halo and right after he said that you can kill someoen fast if you catch them unaware he also said that the game is "generally" faster than past Halo games.

If this game is anything at all like CoD I am simply not going to buy it. There are a ton of CoD games out there (and now add Titanfall to the the mix) which pull off that type of "blink and you're dead" gameplay formula very well. If I wanted to play CoD I'd play CoD, Titanfall or Halo 4.

There were also a lot of other things about this interview that I didn't like, but the CoDification is by far the most hype-killing.

GECK

Every single one of those things you had to work for to pull off and were nowhere near the norm, unless you played a specific game type. Only specific combinations, playlists and situations allowed you to kill someone as fast as any of that. In CoD every weapon in the game will take you out quicker than you can blink.

4 shotting, assasinating, sniping or spamming grenades for a kill was not hard to pull off.

Lars also said that the game is "definitely" faster than Halo and right after he said that you can kill someoen fast if you catch them unaware he also said that the game is "generally" faster than past Halo games.

I know he did. The glimpses of gameplay shown looked like faster paced Halo with unique skins and sprint/slide.

LarsIf this game is anything at all like CoD I am simply not going to buy it. There are a ton of CoD games out there (and now add Titanfall to the the mix) which pull off that type of "blink and you're dead" gameplay formula very well. If I wanted to play CoD I'd play CoD, Titanfall or Halo 4.

There were also a lot of other things about this interview that I didn't like, but the CoDification is by far the most hype-killing.

The game looks nothing like CoD.

FourMyle

4 shotting, assasinating, sniping or spamming grenades for a kill was not hard to pull off.
Again, all of those things required actual effort and were based on player skill. In CoD games every weapon has the capability to kill pretty much instantly, regardless of your personal skill.

The game looks nothing like CoD.

We have not seen anywhere near enough footage (specially of PvP) to be able to tell for ourselves. The only thing we have to go on are Bungie's words.

GECK

In CoD games every weapon has the capability to kill pretty much instantly,

Wooooosh

We have not seen anywhere near enough footage (specially of PvP) to be able to tell for ourselves. The only thing we have to go on are Bungie's words.

I've seen enough footage to know it looks and plays nothing like COD. Bungie developed faster pace than Halo being developed for 3+ years != COD.

FourMyle

Wooooosh

I've seen enough footage to know it looks and plays nothing like COD. Bungie developed faster pace than Halo being developed for 3+ years != COD.

No you haven't. They have barely shown any footage of PvP. It might not be CoD outright but it certainly sounds CoD inspired, and that is enough for me to completely disregard this game.

After all, Halo 4 wasn't literally CoD but it was inspired by it enough that it made for a shit game.

Wait a second. Destiny is an MMO? I got the impression that it was something more akin to the Souls games in that the multiplayer experience is interweaved into the singleplayer.

Blueblur1

For a developer that once touted how proximity voice would make them gods (quote from Butchy) going backwards to squad only chat is so damn ridiculous.

Wolffen

Wait a second. Destiny is an MMO? I got the impression that it was something more akin to the Souls games in that the multiplayer experience is interweaved into the singleplayer.

Bungie is hesitant to call it am MMO. It has some similarities (always online, loot/gear, raids, etc), but it's supposed to be a single instance with matchmaking for co op and PVP that runs seamlessly in the background. And it has a campaign/story mode. It resembles PSO more than WOW to me.

Edit: and like Grief said, the battles are going to be much smaller scale. I doubt we will see 50 player raids in Destiny come September.

Mdot

For a developer that once touted how proximity voice would make them gods (quote from Butchy) going backwards to squad only chat is so damn ridiculous.

Does seem a little off that you wouldn't be able to even hear these other groups you're matched up with, especially if it's for these relatively quick encounters that you take part in. Would make more sense for the entire group to communicate when taking on a larger task.

unlikely ms brought us halo 1-4
so why would they start making demands now?
plus 343 was a studio full of talented people

I can still remember wheel chair MC, and how they had an concept that played like previous Halo but something something focus groups made it more like cod...

Not really into the arena style map combat but I wouldn't mind if there was just some sort of huge planet where PVP goes with looting, so you really have to consider if you want to enter that planet or not..because you might lose your weapons

broony

With regards to team chat, why not in multiplayer add a quick menu item or preference to allow the player to select team or fire team chat. Kind of like party / game is now.

Havok

Ugh... Double jump.... I hate double jump in FPS with a burning passion.
Using it yourself or others using it? If it's the former, there is also a jump -> teleport mobility skill as well as a glide, though we don't know if those are going to be class or focus-specific. So far we've seen titans double jumping, hunters teleporting, and the warlock hovering.

I think it makes sense if you look at it in the context of the game as a whole trying to be as inviting as possible. Their entire seamless matchmaking structure seems like it was designed to get players who would otherwise never even look at multiplayer to dip their toes in without having to make a conscious decision. Protecting them from internet sphincters unless they elect to have that (often totally shitty) experience is a step in that same direction. It's a really weird shift in tone, yeah, but I think they learned really quickly how horrible people could be in multiplayer chat. Their GDC talk mentioned that they wanted the world to be inviting and hopeful...and it's hard to maintain that illusion when you've got a 16 year old hardass shouting in your ear about how you should drown in an ocean of penises because you took the sniper rifle.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think it makes sense if you look at it in the context of the game as a whole trying to be as inviting as possible. Their entire seamless matchmaking structure seems like it was designed to get players who would otherwise never even look at multiplayer to dip their toes in without having to make a conscious decision. Protecting them from internet sphincters unless they elect to have that (often totally shitty) experience is a step in that same direction. It's a really weird shift in tone, yeah, but I think they learned really quickly how horrible people could be in multiplayer chat. Their GDC talk mentioned that they wanted the world to be inviting and hopeful...and it's hard to maintain that illusion when you've got a 16 year old hardass shouting in your ear about how you should drown in an ocean of penises because you took the sniper rifle.
Havok
internet sphincters
(Today, 11:36 AM)

Top Bottom